main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Original Trilogy and Physical Fitness

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthTerminus, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTerminus

DarthTerminus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2003
    It seems to me that in the prequel trilogy the characters are in much better shape. They look more buff, more fit. They barely break a sweat when dueling, jumping, falling, or fighting. Padme has a nice tight tummy and there isn't an ounce of fat to be seen.......not including Dex.

Wouldn't it make sense, in the classic trilogy, that the characters would be more fit?

These people are constantly on the run, and always fighting. They should be in great shape, toned and more muscular, especially the rebels. I can understand if the Imperials are kind of soft in the middle since the bridge personnel are pretty much desk jockeys. Storm Troopers should be in great shape, but the rebels should be either really thin from lack of sufficient food, or should be in great shape.

Why aren't they more buff?........and yes I want to ignore the fact that in OUR world physical fitness was not a mainstay back in the late 70's.

Butt Edit: This thread isn't looking like it's going to get much better (or worse) than "my SW can beat up your SW", so I think we're done here. And this is more of a PT vs. CT debate anyway.

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    They looked pretty fit/slim to me, except for the older characters of course

:confused:

3. Whiteley79

Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    What charcter wasnt exactly fit? I mean, I know chewbacca is a runt compared to the other wookiees...

4. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    Because people didn't have time to visit a personal trainer in a period of galatic civil war like they did in the glory days of the Republic.

People like Porkins (pilots) would be fatter because flying dosen't require physcial movement.

5. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Yeah...who was exactly unfit? Wuher the bartender? Han's primary way to kill someone is from a distance, with a blaster...not up close and personal, not in physically strenuous shape..Besides, just look at the shape Harrison Ford is in for Raiders of the Lost Ark, filmed about the same time as Empire...tell me he isn't in shape...Then, go to Luke's training on Dagobah...his arms are ripped by the time he leaves. Leia isn't in any worse shape than Padme...and, did you see an OUNCE of fat in that steel bikini? She looked pretty in shape to me...For Palpatine top still be able to exert himself like that at his age implies he watches that geriatric aerobics show on PBS, just like your grandma does...

6. Whiteley79

Mar 19, 2006
    And its incorret to say the Prequel trilogy didnt have its hefty support characters as well. A few of the naboo starpilots looked out of season, as did padmes star captian obvious (the whole planet is one big city!). Watto, dex. Where there is star wars, there will always be overwieght people. Its like a law of science.

7. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    The characters in the OT were much more "realistic" than in the PT, if you take my meaning. The OT looked like it took place in a real galaxy filled with real, everyday people.

Bare tummys are SUCH a part of today's looks... :rolleyes:

Did Anakin or Padme need to be such attractive people? Luke wasn't bad-looking, but he wasn't a Brad Pitt either. Leia was pretty, but again, nothing like a super model. Hayden and Natalie were cast due to today's aesthetics.

8. Whiteley79

Mar 19, 2006
    Mark, Harrison, and Carrie were the beautiful people when the OT was released. And things seemed more real because they were in one way or another. Models and sets rather then CG and blue screens.

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I wouldn't call Chewie a runt. He's just slimmer than most of the Wookiee warriors. He's still as tall as them though.

10. Whiteley79

Mar 19, 2006
    I know, that was just a joke. During the Ep 3 production people were worried that the wookiees all looked way to big compared to chewy. Lucas just said 'well, they may be bigger, but hes famous'.

11. Knight-8311

Knight-8311 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2006
    Carrie Fisher was hot.

12. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999

13. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    This comes down to personal opinion to an extent ? I personally find Fisher (in her day) much more attractive than Portman and would gladly buy a pin-up of the former before the latter. Indeed, like any self-respecting SW geek I have a Leia poster [face_love]

I agree that Hayden is a better-looking guy than Mark Hamill -- but beyond that the OT seems to do just fine in terms of attractive people. Hell, it had Billy Dee Williams, the smoothest guy ever! Colt 45! Works every time!

ALL movies are products of their time. Has the PT been influenced by the appearances and styles of today? To an extent. But then the OT certain had its moments of "Hello, I was made in the late seventies and early eighties," particularly as pertains to the hair and makeup department.

As for the Rebels, I think people are missing the point. They're not professional fighting soldiers, nor are they starving peasants. They're just ordinary people who got together to fight a war. Think what would happen if the people in your town got together to fight the government--shopkeepers, schoolteachers, businessmen, farmers.

Rick McCallum loves you!

14. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Luke, Han, and Leia were all attractive people back in the day.
    "Not this ship, sister!" is plenty 70s.
    Sideburns? Luke and Han's hair?
    Lando was a damn fine ladie's man.
    To say the PT was influenced by its day and the OT wasn't seems to really be stretching to find something to bash. There's plenty of solid reasons. Have fun.

The characters in the OT were much more "realistic" than in the PT, if you take my meaning. The OT looked like it took place in a real galaxy filled with real, everyday people.

Hardly. In fact, if there were boy bands back then, Luke would be a canidate for one. Long, shaggy blonde hair, innocent blue eyes. Oh yeah. Luke was just hideous.
    If Leia was plain jane, fanboys would not be having fantasies to this day of her.
    Solo? Real and everyday? Okiedokie.

Shmi was plenty plain.
    Palpatine's not bad, but he won't win awards.
    Dooku, aside from being in some form of shape isn't any more handsome than Tarkin.
    The Jedi better be in shape considering how active they are.

Bare tummys are SUCH a part of today's looks... :rolleyes:

Lesse... long, shaggy hair
    Sideburns
    Seventies/eighties make-up (mainly eyeliner)
    Lando's mustache

Any film is going to be influenced by the year it was made. Even period pieces. Look at 50s/60s Robin Hood/Three Muskateer/Pirate films as compared to ones made in the 90s for example.

Did Anakin or Padme need to be such attractive people?
    Does it destroy the film that they are? You act like attractive people in movies is a new thing. Mark and Harrison drove the girls crazy. And don't tell me Slave Leia didn't have teenagers running to the bathrooms.

15. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    any continuity break between the PT and the OT including the physical condition of the actors is the fault of the PT not the OT.

this would be more appropriate in the PT asking the question "were the PT actors in too good a physical condition?"

there simply is not a good "in universe" answer because of the points you made, the rebels should not be "fat and happy" and it is unlikely that active combatants would be in worse shape than those who had not been at war for years.

16. sonofcoruscant

sonofcoruscant Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 14, 2006
    I think people in the OT were in good shape. I think the difference is they were less good looking. I mean, not that Mark and Harrison and Carrie were ugly or anything. But they are not sexual icons like Natalie and (swoon) Hayden.

And many of the featured PT characters were more likely to have specific physical training like all of the Jedi and what not.

17. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Harrison Ford wasn't a sex symbol in his day?

Taken from imdb

"Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#15). [1995]

Chosen as People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive. [1998]

Chosen by "People" magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World. [1997]

18. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    I do know that original stories had it that Carrie Fisher was taped up to ensure that her character, rather that her figure was remembered by the audience. Even with that said, I think most young boys during that time had a much bigger crush on her then this generation had on Padme. There is a reason that Ross' fantasy on Friends was the Princess Leia outfit.

If there is a change, it is on the costumes and having Jedi's fight a more swashbuckling style

19. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    That's a good question about physical fitness. The PT has a lot more sex appeal than the OT. I mean we didn't see Luke tear off his shirt to expose some buff sculpted abs and chest like Anakin displayed on occasion. I guess it's just a sign of the times which could be discussed in a movie history class. I think it was just a matter of what was considered sexy and appropriate for the 70s versus the 00s.

20. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Luke ran around in a tank top on Dagobah whereas Anakin, for the most part, was fully covered.
    AotC Anakin was a bit too skinny to be considered maturely sexy.
    In RotS, a Jedi war hero damn well better be in shape.

Might I add, Luke was pretty damn fit in ESB. I noticed that his arms were pretty well defined.

What exactly would you guys prefer? This just seems silly and extremely "my SW can beat up your SW" to me.

21. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    What exactly would you guys prefer? This just seems silly and extremely "my SW can beat up your SW" to me.

The entire gusher-basher thing sounds like that too.

22. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    This just seems silly and extremely "my SW can beat up your SW" to me.

Actually, since he's concerned that the people in the PT are overly physically fit, wouldn't it be "your SW can beat up my SW"?

Rick McCallum loves you!

23. JediRunner

JediRunner Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2005
    There is a difference in the appearances of the characters in each PT and OT but I don't see it has anything negative or one is better than the other.
    The PT and OT are just two very different times in the Star Wars Galaxy. So you get two very different looking people.

24. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    There is a difference in the appearances of the characters in each PT and OT but I don't see it has anything negative or one is better than the other.

Aye, neither do I, but some people were certainly making it seem like it was yet one more fault of the PT which is silly. If you hate the PT, go right ahead. Acting, dialogue, CG, characters. Hell tons of legitimate reasons.
    The arguments I've seen in here just seem to be stretching it to me.

Actually, since he's concerned that the people in the PT are overly physically fit, wouldn't it be "your SW can beat up my SW"?

Rick McCallum loves you!

Quiet you! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.