main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Original Trilogy as "Dramatic" and the Prequel Trilogy as "Epic."

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Pyrogenic, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Alright. More power to you I guess.

2. DarkLordoftheSith14

DarkLordoftheSith14 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2004
    I also view the OT as being more mystical, mysterious, and less sci-fi and more fanasty, because it deals with the mystery of the force. Whereas the PT is more political and doesn't treat the force as some mysterious entity.

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Theres certainly a certain "detatchment" to the PT. It's almost like watching a documentery, depicting how these ppeople came to play a pivitol role in the downfall of the Old Republic/Formation of The Empire.

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm wondering how much of that is because we know what will happen at the end of the PT.

5. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    To me, the PT felt like a grand opera.

6. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    I agree.

The Original Trilogy can be seen as one long journey of Luke unraveling the arcane arts of the Force, whereas the Prequels took knowledge of the Force on the part of its viewers for granted.

The science-fiction definitely went on the backburner to focus more on character development and the depth of the story itself. Aliens species were more integrated into the Prequels because of new digital animation.

Awesome observation.

<[-]> Saber

7. RamRed

May 16, 2002

"The Prequel Trilogy" took knowledge of the Force on the part of the viewers for granted?" How? Because of the midichlorians, which were only mentioned in TPM? Did this upset your view of the Force that badly? And how does this make the PT more "science-fiction" than the OT? And from what I had seen the PT was just as character developed as the OT. In some ways, even more. Or perhaps you have all come to this conlcusion because Qui-Gon had brought up the midichlorians in TPM.

I realize that you all have every right to your opinions. But I just find your explanations that the OT was "more mystical" than the PT to be very unconvincing. And it also sounds like another case of good old-fashioned "PT bashing".

8. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002

The Prequels were nothing but one long action sequence. Sci-fi action sequence.

<[-]> Saber

9. RamRed

May 16, 2002

Don't you mean . . .in your opinion? Because it felt like more than just one long action sequence to me. If it was, I believe that one might as well say the same about all six movies.

10. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    The Prequels were nothing but one long action sequence. Sci-fi action sequence.

There is many a scene in the PT with no action.

11. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    He probably fell asleep during those.;) Heck, I even dozed during the pod race the first time I saw TPM...

12. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Mid TPM is pretty action-less (not all bad, though), and so was a lot of AOTC. AOTC has a very action-packed final 45 minutes, but much of the movie is devoid of action. The action is better paced in ROTS.

13. ThePriminister05

ThePriminister05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 28, 2005

Ya ya know like...most of it.

The chart really fleshed out the differences between the two stories. I feel fo alot of the characters in both the OT and the PT but yes the narrative is completely different. Same themes, different styles.

I will say that whoever says that the OT wasn't bashed by critics as much as the PT are completely wrong. Both were critisized for the same things. Yes, they were. We haven't let these newer films age at all. Already I hear people warm up to TPM just a litle bit more. And if you ask a bunch kids who are from 4-12 which Star Wars film is their favorite. They will most likely say one of the prequels.

14. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    To simplify, the OT is like an ancient folk story, while the PT is an epic, abstract meditation on the themes and ideas of the OT. Without wishing to enter a debate on such things, perhaps this is a good reason why the "varnish" of CG and the like is "at odds" with the OT; the sheen of digital effects works better in the PT, which is an elevated, syncopated variant of the OT's methods and overall feel. There is a pronounced, delibrate difference between the two, but collectively, they form a whole.

I think that your second list, MisterVader, is more pleasing -- it seems to have clear categories that fit the PT / OT mould better. Fundamentally, apprehending the difference comes down to a simple point of philosophy, auspiciously found in the OT, reinforced (in a manner of speaking) at the start of the PT: "You must unlearn what you have learned" . . . AND . . . "But not at the expense of the moment. Be mindful of the Living Force".

15. RamRed

May 16, 2002
    To simplify, the OT is like an ancient folk story, while the PT is an epic, abstract meditation on the themes and ideas of the OT. Without wishing to enter a debate on such things, perhaps this is a good reason why the "varnish" of CG and the like is "at odds" with the OT; the sheen of digital effects works better in the PT, which is an elevated, syncopated variant of the OT's methods and overall feel. There is a pronounced, delibrate difference between the two, but collectively, they form a whole.

I suspect that this is due to the differences in the settings of the two trilogies. As I have stated on another thread, the PT had to adhere to Obi-Wan's superficial description of the Old Republic. Which is what Lucas had managed to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.