Orlando, FL The Orlando Fan Film Commision.

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by SeaTrooper, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeaTrooper Jedi Knight

star 3
    You know in the last year I can think of at least nine different requests from a multitude of different boards, I have read concerning fan films.
    Every one is making films, tapes, flicks, whatever....
    What I want to know is Who has cameras, who has editing capabilities, who has talent, who can build sets,...... most important, who can give up their time and equipage for such an effort.
    It's kinda makes me insane to see an underutilized talent pool. I see all these parts of a puzzle floating around and there has to be a way to bring it all together.
    I could be wrong.
  2. COPAZIE Jedi Knight

star 2
    My roomate and I run a small Post-Production house out of our apartment. We are located just south of downtown Orlando. I am a Computer Animator, and he is a compositor/editor he has also done lighting design for theatrical productions. We really can't afford to "donate" our time to fan films. But I'm pretty sure we have the most reasonable rates in town. I would suggest looking at our website, in my signature... but it is in dire need of an update, and does not really reflect what we are now capable of.

If you would like more information about us, please contact at the

INDIGO ARTIST's GUILD

(407) 316-8614
  3. Sandy Jedi Knight

star 2
    I am also a computer animator and will consider donating my time, equipment, and the like for a good fan vid/film. I also do post production and can assist in filming. I do not do costuming or prop making. I primarily use a Canon XL-1 and various sound equipment but am short a permanent collection of lights.

I differ from the previous poster in that I will never attempt to charge money for a fan film for two important reasons. (1) Fan films are labors of love and you should either work on them because you like the effort or not participate and (2) it is illegal to charge for services for any effort in which you do not control the copyright. Anyone who attempts to charge you for such services without ensuring copyright ownership should not be considered professional no matter how reasonable their rates.

If I'm not too deeply involved in paying contracts I'll consider helping on any well planned and well written fan project in the general Orlando area. I will also consider post production assistance on projects outside of this area.

Contact me at either rsanders8@cfl.rr.com or at my business e-mail of realshades@cfl.rr.com . As of 19 Jan 2002, the business address is having problems. You can also contact me on ICQ at 93887550 . (I'm actually pretty friendly and very approachable).

Sandy
  4. Sandy Jedi Knight

star 2
    As a followup, I often subcontact to two computer modelers who are enthusiastic Star Wars fans. They also occasionally work on fan films.

Here are a few shots from the fan film we're working on at the moment:

[image=http://www.realshades.com/risev2/br-intro-01a.jpg]

[image=http://www.realshades.com/risev2/images/demo-tarkin-cruiser-01a.jpg]

[image=http://www.realshades.com/risev2/images/demo-sith-chamber-01.jpg]

If you need computer animation assistance or post production don't hesitate to contact me. If I can't help you, I'll try to refer you to someone who can.

Sandy

P.S. Buzz, please e-mail me.
  5. Cigam Retah Force Ghost

star 5
    Those are like, cool and stuff!
  6. COPAZIE Jedi Knight

star 2
    In defense of the Indigo Artist Guild. I cannot speak for my partner. Personally, I haven't been in the industry for very long. But we have both been paid for our services and are by that deffintion, proffesionals. I admit I am not fluent in copywrite law, but I was under the impression that an independant special effects company could paid for it's services, povided that they didn't try sell the finished product.

I can see how it would be illegal for someone to make a film based on Star Wars, and then try to sell the video.

If we are contracted by the producers of a film... we do the effects we get paid, and whatever they do after that, is their buisness.

If a fan flick were shot on film, would the developers of the film be breaking the law if they were paid to develop it?

Maybe I'm wrong... I probably am.. wouldn't be they first time. I'm just an animator, not a lawyer. Obviously if we were contacted by someone wanting to do a fan film, these things would have to be looked into.

I am a Star Wars fan just like everyone else in Orlando Fan Force. I would love to work on a fan film. Unfortunately we are a very small post-house, we can only work on one project at a time. A simple matter of labor of love vs paying the bills.

Impressive work by the way Sandy.

Here is a sample of some of my work.

[image=http://www.theforce.net/museum/images/Miscellaneous/cf-crossovers.jpg/image.jpg]

[image=http://www.theforce.net/museum/images/Miscellaneous/cf-wayofthejedi.jpg/image.jpg]

[image=http://www.theforce.net/museum/images/Classic_Trilogy/cf-needforspeed.jpg/image.jpg]

[image=http://www.theforce.net/museum/images/Christmas/Contest_Dec_2001/Entries/cf-xmasfetts800.jpg/image.jpg]
  7. Sandy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Copazie,

First off, good luck to you and your partner. I wish you both well. I'm all in favor of people working in the jobs they love.

I'm am also not a lawyer but try to keep myself out of situations where I might need one. Basic rule of thumb should always be: Someone in the project should hold the copyright. Otherwise, people are making money on the copyrighted material of others, whether you edit sound, act, whatever. If you charge for it, you're breaking the law. Claiming that its someone else's problem because they asked you to do it and offerred to pay you is a severe cop-out. Consider this nothing more than an opinion from one professional animator to another. If you want to follow up on this you might contact Clutch and get his opinion. I'd happily defer to his judgement. You can contact me also and I'd be more than happy to share my feelings and experiences on this.

A perfect example comes from Richard Hatch's attempt to revive the Battlestar Galactica show. I've worked for Richard and he's a great guy. He put together a short trailer to show what could be done if new technology was introduced to give life to the old show. Several fellow animators worked on the core of that for him and many more (myself included) did follow-on work. Universal was not amused. Richard ended up in a lot of hot water and everyone who worked on the project got a severe black eye.

Lucas has a fairly open policy on fan films. He even promotes them because he knows that fan films keeps him own fan base thriving. However, George is very specific that you do not make money off of his work. You can play in his backyard but you don't cash in on his garden. Paramount and Universal are far, far less forgiving. Even george will come after you if he discovers you're charging cash.

Does this mean he'll learn about you -- probably not. The real question is what can your reputation afford.

That's about as negative as I like to get. Feel free to contact me if I can help you guys out with anything.

Sandy

8. SeaTrooper Jedi Knight

star 3
    But who has a camera???

Hi Sandy. I'm going to call you tomorrow. I finally got my head above water this weekend.

Buzz
  9. Sandy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Buzz,

I do. The Canon XL-1 is a top of the line Digital Video Camera a half-step below the professional BetaCams used by the production studios. It also does a reasonable job of encoding multi-track sound on site, although you have to use external sounds equipment.

Sandy
  10. Rogue428 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Rogue428 here.

I can do fight choreography and I'm good at making good looking props on a tight budget.

I also have a camera (though not a prosumer job like the XL-1). Sony DCR TRV-320 (1 CCD) Digital 8 camera.

I have Adobe Premiere and home-made editing rig, not pretty looking but does the job.

I don't live in Orlando proper...but only about an hour away.

[EDIT]Forgot to mention...I also have a Glidecam 2000 pro...although I think the XL-1 is a bit too heavy for that model, but I'm not sure.
  11. Wolfgang_Treadwell Jedi Knight

star 1
    I can be of help with props and costumes, can offer writing critiques/suggestions, and can shoot and edit. I also work at a production company, and while I can't offer post work to every project, I might be able to help in that regard on a case-by-case basis (Sandy has first dibs).

12. Sandy Jedi Knight

star 2
  13. IndigoAG Jedi Padawan

I am happy to share my resources with the members of this group. I have many years experience in Editing and Visual FX work, and my partner is an excellent storyboarder artist and 3D modeller/animator. I also have the nessesary equipment to handle hollywood caliber productions.

May I also offer a couple peices of advice in the event that I cannot help because of preoccupation on another project.

-If you are doing any kind of special effect work besides the lightsabers, I highly recommend shooting on film. Background replacement/enhancement is very tricky with DV or less quality footage and results in frayed edges. Also matchmoving with highly compressed footage may be difficult or impossible without hand-keyframing. I work with a DP who has his own 35mm camera and charges VERY cheap rates. Also I have access to uncompressed editng equipment for digitizing such footage.
    -Have your visual FX supervisor on the set during shooting. Thsi will alleviate problems in post where you discover things will have to take significantly longer. Post work is clearly more expensive than shooting time, so spending the extra time to get it right on the set pays off.
    -with that in mind, also take the extra time to plan camera moves/angles in pre-production. Storyboard them out and also draw or build miniatures of the sets you will be building on the set or in the computer.

I hope these suggestions help. Let me know if you will be needing me and the rest of my team to help.

Thanks
  14. Ia-Bou Jedi Knight

star 3
    I only do Jedi Costumes and royalty senator type costumes
  15. TheGhoest Jedi Knight

star 1
    Music Composer, Director, Actor, Editor, Etc.

Have a camera. Will shoot for food. :)

Actually, I really want t be in the Commision or whatever.

Bye.

The Ghoest-
  16. Mayo_Solo Jedi Master

star 4
    Actress, singer, and somewhat of a musician. Although the first two things are my primary talents. I'm taking a special course over the summer to improve my acting.
  17. Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff

VIP
    star 4
    I'm an Imperial, and I play one on TV. ;)

I also have some animation and scene design skills, though my processor is loathe to actually render anymore. :(
  18. Wolfgang_Treadwell Jedi Knight

star 1
    For those of you making Jedi costumes (DELAYA!) and want to have those cylinder-like "food capsules) on their belts like Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan did in TPM, see this thread:

http://rpf.prop-planet.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6144&forum=1

Someone is selling the correct pens that are needed to make the capsules.

19. DarkSithKnight Jedi Padawan

I can act (high school drama) and have a basic understanding of shooting and editing (high school tv production). There're my contributions, though I'm sure there are more qualified people...but if you ever need an extra hand to do any of the above, let me know.
  20. Wolfgang_Treadwell Jedi Knight

star 1
    For you budding screenwriters, this book is a must-have:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0440576474/qid=1013525610/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-2261601-4664064

How strictly you follow his suggested formatting is up to you, but it's a great resource.

21. Sandy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Buzz, I've upgraded to a Geforce4 with DVRaptor on my dual processor machine so I should be fairly well set up to digitize a DV tapes as well if anyone needs that done. I might not have the quickest turnaround time. I'll have to fit it in my schedule. My charge for this is --- free!
  22. SeaTrooper Jedi Knight

star 3
    I am looking forward to working with you. Your project is epic! Thanks for including me in it.
    Buzz
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.