main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Orphan

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I'm surprised no one has created this thread.

The recent possible revelation that the story will include an orphan girl is potentially the biggest ST story news we've received to date. Especially when we consider that Anakin and Luke were both fatherless. Well, Anakin quite literally and Luke raised by an Aunt and Uncle. It doesn't take a genius to extrapolate upon the idea.

I'm speculating that the orphan may be a Skywalker descendant. In what way I'm not sure. But I would assume that this person is a relative of Luke and Leia, but all are unaware. There are plenty of examples in literature to support this idea. From Sophocles' play on 'Oedipus Rex' to Dickens 'Oliver Twist' and 'David Copperfield, right up to 'Harry Potter' himself. Some of the greatest protagonists in the history of literature have been orphans unaware of their paternity.

As you may know I've discussed the importance of Plagueis as the Uber-Villain of the Star Wars Saga. I Are The Internets recently wished that his name had never been brought up in the PT. I suppose it's time to discuss something else, though not entirely unrelated to that Sith fellow.

Since our 'orphan' has been announced I've been pondering on perhaps the greatest unknown question in the entire STAR WARS SAGA. Who are the Skywalkers?

In The Phantom Menace we are introduced to Anakin and Shmi Skywalker. Two slaves who were owned by Gardulla the Hutt, brought to Tatooine when Anakin was four and lost in a bet to Watto (the Fred Sanford of Mos Espa). When Qui-Gon reports to Obi-Wan 'There's something about this boy", he looks back at Shmi in the doorway. She offers no explanation but her countenance is one of foreboding. As I recall, she is concerned about Anakin's pod-racing and perhaps the notion of their possible separation. The very next scene transitions to Darth Maul. A very deliberate edit (some of that art I hope Abrams is able to mime). Knowing that Lucas does nothing without a reason promotes speculation. Why that cut and that scene? Does Shmi know something? How did she come to be a slave and give birth immaculately? Who are the Skywalkers?

As the story moves forward in the narrative, let it explore the past. Fill it in. Improve the story by enriching the newly added characters and material with new and profound connections to the past. In this way a new synthesis is created. Who are the Skywalkers? Perhaps our orphan can fill us in on the matter.

Thoughts?

BTW - I know the casting call stated all ethnicities, but that may also be an attempt to throw us off the scent. In the end we'll see. For now, let's speculate.

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Source?

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013

I think he is talking about the casting call.

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yes, and the casting call said...?

5. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    My thoughts are that they are not going to clumsily reveal a detail like that in the manner they did, so it is probably a misdirection.

6. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I edited it above. Will this suffice? Thanks for the due diligence. It certainly isn't official, but with the news of recent re-writes I mixed it up as such.

7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    To me orphan translates to 'independent at a young age' IMHO, be it through a hard orphaned life at one exterme being very literal with the casting call and at the other more figerative aspect they just have a lot of exeriance with the real world for one so young. The later being anything from just maturing quickly while seeking independce at a young age to Jedi training making them have been seperated from their families only having a Jedi Master as a subtitute (though for all we know this character is more connected to the Imperial Inquisitors just announced for Rebels TV series, or bounty hunters, or living parents who where just absent, etc..)

Being an orphan is the characters approach to situations imho in the same vein as the true character so the casting director can better grasp the actor being good enough or not for getting another call. Look at Luke's casting, he was talking about trying to find the rebels and acting like he was trying to figure out things much larger than him with youthful idealism but kinda lost as to how to carry though. The confusion of how became dealing with Obi-wans death, Leia took them to the rebels instead but Luke's idealism made him sign up to join their pilot pool right away, and the debates with Han had new dialog but kinda stayed minus that. So just cause the casting call said orphan doesn't mean they'll be one, just that the female character has traits of one, at least from a certain point of view.

Now the other character strikes me more as having a relation to an adult but seperated from them atm but independent enough to carry on.

Echo-07 and Immortiss like this.
  8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    We probably haven't been talking about it because we all know the casting call information is all made up.

9. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    It also prominently mentions apples, I assume the story arc of the ST is going to be about apple strudel

10. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Jaina Solo is not an orphan... confused... :confused:[face_devil]

Jabari and Taalon like this.
  11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Well I agree that there seems to be a tradition of having a figurative orphan in the Star Wars films... My feeling, if true, is that it will have no real narrative bearing e.g it could just be someone Luke happens across who is strong in the force etc. Or, it could be that the orphan is a grandchild of either Luke, Han/Leia - with their child (the parent) being killed. Or... and I'm hesitant to say this... the orphan could be born of the force. :)

Ryus and Immortiss like this.
  12. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Well, the whole question who the Skywalkers are and where they're coming from is a very interesting one, but I wouldn't take away much of the casting call sheet. They know thousands audition for the movie and it means thousands of possibly leaking any info if they'd get a glimpse on the official story. So the whole orphan thing is most likely made up and will never be featured in the final movie.

Trebor Sabreon and Echo-07 like this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Still clinging to my fandream that Luke adopts a force sensitive orphan.

StoneRiver, Jabari, Granger and 5 others like this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am nearly as convinced that the casting sides revealed actual plot points as I am that the characters' names will be Tom and Rachel.

15. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    We know one of the elements in the early ST had Luke searching for his twin sister. A relative. How did they come to be separated in this early draft?

From what origins do the Skywalkers come? Who is Shmi? Could this be a bearing on the new story? I would like to know.

Listen, if you don't like the thread or the idea, move along, no big deal. There's plenty of nothing to 'talk' about elsewhere. I like to hear thoughtful comments. Forget the casting call. It may be real it may not be. An Orphan in the ST might be a great idea and explain the Skywalker legacy. If you want to speculate great. There's not much concrete matter to discuss at the moment.

I think that identity may become an important theme in the ST and perhaps the saga.

Thank you. I agree. Especially since an Orphan is mentioned. Little Orphan Ani (Skywalker):p

Thank you all for your thoughtfulness and expertise. Oh, and your sincere ability to extrapolate.[face_peace]

A Chorus of Disapproval: Thank you for your refusal to speculate.[face_coffee] I need coffee. It's going to be a long day.

Dra--- likes this.
  16. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    this sounds an awful lot like my fanfic :p

I want royalties if it's the same plot :p

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If your response to people not taking your thread seriously is to be combative maybe we need to give you some time off to get some perspective.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  18. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    Luke adopts an orphan (a girl by the name of Es...uhhm Estellia) who turns out to be a psychotic dwarf woman sith trying to destroy the order from within turning Jedi against Jedi
    it will be called:

Star Wars Ep VII: The Enemy Within

(lets face it, the Star Wars are renowned for giving away the plot in the title :p )

you heard it here first O:)

Immortiss likes this.
  19. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    "Gestapo spank" Ouch!

I asked them for thoughtful responses. I thanked everyone and gave them the [face_peace] sign. I offered you a cup of coffee. And this is how you repay my kindness?O:)

Combative, no. To the point, yes. Listen Man, I'm fine. You know me here. But if you think this is combative, compared to others I've witnessed...you're a fair Mod...I trust your judgment.[face_peace]

EDIT: Any poster here referring to another as a 'Douche' for example. I would hope would be an immediate ban. There is NO perspective in that whatsoever.

Granger, Darth_Pevra and Dra--- like this.
  20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Dunno, it may be an interesting thing if the switch is actually to someone who is not directly related to Skywalker/Solos, but I wouldn't really base that speculation on a vague casting call description.
    I don't think the theory itself is problematic, as much as the "source" itself is.

Trebor Sabreon and Ryus like this.
  21. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, now I wish I hadn't based it on that, because people are hung up on the casting call. Not the idea.

EDIT: Interesting Freudian Slip in the Casting Call?...The mystery deepens...[face_devil]

RACHEL:

Was quite young when she lost her parents. With no other family, she was forced to maker her way alone in a tough, dangerous town. Now 17 she has become street smart and strong. She is able to take care of herself using humor and guts to get by.
    Always a survivor, never a victim, she remains hopeful that she can move away from this harsh existence to a better life. She is always thinking of what she can do to move ahead.

22. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Maybe Shmi's origins are yet to be revealed. Maybe she was (knowingly or unknowingly) a descendant of a yet mysterious race in the galaxy, a race which members may come back to the galaxy. Like the celestials in the EU, who left the GFFAafter creating much of it. Maybe such a race comes back.

Meh, just an idea.

Immortiss likes this.
  23. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    GL is known as "The Maker" to fans . . . that cinches it . . . they're inserting super-subtle references into the casting calls to alert "true fans" of the reality of the situation [face_beatup]

24. Tensionhead

Tensionhead Jedi Master star 1

Feb 7, 2005
    i love jj's daddy issues -

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This should be interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.