main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Orphans of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by solojones, Aug 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I was thinking the other day, and it seems there are an unusually high number of parent-less people involved in the Star Wars Saga. Think about our heros:

Qui-Gon- taken away at an early age presumably in true Jedi fashion. His master, Dooku, goes to the Dark Side

Obi-Wan- same deal with his real parents, and then his master (surrogate father type) is killed

Anakin- no father, leaves his mother, his mother dies, he ends up going to the Dark Side and eventually killing his father-figure

Luke- his surrogate parents Owen and Beru are killed, eventually his real father dies as well

Leia- her surrogate father is killed on Alderaan

Han- even if you aren't an EU fan, it's probably pretty safe to say Han doesn't have much connection with his real family

Now what kind of effect does this kind of lifestyle have on all these people?

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Well, I bet the affect on Obi-Wan attributes to his drinking problem.

And like that...he's gone.

3. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I think it helps the characters with being able to deal with adversity more. They're able to deal with everything thrown at them relatively easily because they were faced with a tough situation growing up, not having a guiding light or anybody to look up to or model themselves after. If you grow up without parents and/or are faced with losing your parents/parent figures, it'll make you a stronger person in the end...or so I've heard. ;)

4. LeiaHair

LeiaHair Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2003
    actually, suns, it's:
    "and like that *poof* he's gone."

Sorry, I had to say that.

I think everyone is parentless because their creator hates his parents.... because they are ewoks.... or something like that.

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well we can expect no helpful comments from the likes of Alex and Amanda :p Derail my thread with TUS comments, ya dolts...

Anyway, starwars I think want it does is to force them into a kind of solidarity and independence at a young age. I mean, all the Jedi are capable and have a huge responsibility from a young age. In a way, it's good that they are mature, but I think it also kind of leads them to be somewhat lonely, wouldn't you think?

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. starwars6554

Jul 9, 2002
    I would agree...lonely in a sense that they have a hard time forming connections with other people, therefore making them extremely independent. I think that Han and Leia fell in love is because they're so much alike in the sense that they're both lonely.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I think it's the same reason Anakin and Padme fall in love, too. Sure, Padme's not an orphan but she's been very independent and grown up since a young age. Obviously, so has Anakin. I think they both commiserate the ups and downs of being forced into so much responsibility at a young age. True, they might think they wanted that responsibility and are ok with it, but I'm sure that all these characters feel a little regrettful about having grown up so fast.

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. Kit-Fisto7BA

Kit-Fisto7BA Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2003
    Don't forget Boba Fett.I mean he has it pretty bad:a clone that watches his Dad,or host,get his head chopped off,his mother type figure(Zam)is killed,has to live off the seperatists sometimes because his brothers work for his enemies.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Indeed. I think seeing his dad have his head cut off... wow. That's really really horrible :(

-sj loves kevin spacey

10. starwars6554

Jul 9, 2002
    Kinda doesn't begin to describe it. I saw a friend almost die when he got stuck to the bottom of our jacuzzi...it was terrifying. :(

But yeah, solojones, I'd definitely say that the fact that both Anakin and Padme were forced to grow up very quickly helped them fall in love easier. ;)

11. ACloneWhoIsDifferent

ACloneWhoIsDifferent Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2003
    hmm I thought the only orphan was luke before i read your post

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I mean I had just started thinking about it, and none of the characters have a really solid family. It's like a Disney movie or something! :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

13. starwars6554

Jul 9, 2002
    Only done by Lucasfilm. ;)

It's part of the mythology of Star Wars where a person is able to rise above the circumstances they've been dealt in life, and make the most of it.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You might think, though, that they would also have stable characters with families as a foil to show how sad it really is. I mean, if everyone's an orphan, is it really as big of a deal?

-sj loves kevin spacey

15. starwars6554

Jul 9, 2002
    No, I guess not. But I guess only the "main characters" or "important peope, destined for greatness" have to be tested before they go out into the galaxy and make something of themselves.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So those of us with two parents are never going to achieve anything? :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. starwars6554

Jul 9, 2002
    :p

No, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying we won't be as strong as the people who had to deal with having no parents from a very early age.

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ah yes, but also are without the trauma. Remember, good old Anakin loses his mom and that's one of the things which propells him toward the Dark Side.

-sj loves kevin spacey

19. starwars6554

Jul 9, 2002
    Unfortunately for him, he isn't able to deal with very heavy emotioins unlike his offspring, Luke and Leia. He has an issue with losing things he loves, he can't handle it, and it makes him VERY angry. It's just a character trait he has, and it has nothing to do with the fact he didn't have a father...he's just a bit selfish. ;) :p

20. Kit-Fisto7BA

Kit-Fisto7BA Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2003
    Your right,but he also doesn't like things to change too much,which he basicaly says in TPM.

21. starwars6554

Jul 9, 2002
    Yeah, that's true also...which also leads to his down fall, because things DO change. It's inevitable, and no one can control how or when it happens, not even a Jedi as powerful as Anakin.

22. ACloneWhoIsDifferent

ACloneWhoIsDifferent Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2003
    I think theyy are all orphans so you can feel sorry for them like lil orphan annie(kawai ^_________^) this is also maybe symbolism

23. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Coming-of-age stories are full of orphan characters. I think the idea is that no one can become an adult until they no longer have their parents there to rely on.

This page talks a little bit about the orphan in myth: The Orphan Hero. One paragraph particularly reminds me of Anakin:

The problem is that the Orphan is not going forth to create or explore a world; he is trying to regress into Paradise. This leads to the failure to create a home in the world of consciousness and relationship.

Once Anakin leaves the "paradise" of life with Mom, he's just never the same. I think part of the reason Star Wars is full of orphans is to provide dramatic foils for Anakin. We're supposed to contrast him with more successful characters who manage to make something of themselves after they lose Mom, or Dad, or Master, or whoever. That could be the reason GL essentially made foundlings of the entire Jedi Order: it highlights Anakin as the one who just can't cope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.