main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Orville [Seth McFarlane's returning Sci-Fi Show]

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Sep 2, 2017.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The 1st Ted movie is actually pretty great, it oddly works thematically and is consistently hilarious. 2nd one not so much but some decent one liners

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I agree with this although I enjoyed the second one It wasn't as good as the first. I mean how can you top the climactic end battle at Fenway?

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    ****ing football.

Looks like FX will be reairing tonight's episode Sunday, while the third episode debuts Thursday.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yep. I set the next 3 time slots to Dvr after just in case and I was right to do so.

I really liked ep2. The humor was severely cutdown in comparison to ep1. This epi was about character building and imo it worked just right. I'm in for the next few.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thankfully Fox put the episode up after only a few hours, so hopefully I won't have to deal with this for the next few months. Unless there's football on thursdays.

There's not football on thursdays is there? [face_worried]

EDIT- Second episode was an improvement, but still not without its flaws. Scenes with the general crew (the mess hall and award scenes) were pretty cheesy and predictable/obligatory. They also went with a comedic resolution to the conflict again but this time it wasn't set up at all. Likewise, there were a couple 21st century reference jokes that felt out of place (though they kinda dismissed them as almost 4th wall jokes, so maybe that's a thing now?).

On the tech side of things, the Orville's "warp" powerup sequence is pretty cool... but it gets a little repetitive/takes too long when they have to do it multiple times in a row, like during the U-turn moment.

The title sequence is nice too- a heck of a lot of Trek references in that (the comet being the most obvious, though you also have the TOS galactic barrier-like environment as well, among others). Though it also kinda feels like it went on a little too long or had one or two too many ship flybys (though I'm guessing that's a Voyager nod).

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked this episode because I'm a sucker for the Trek staple of "cute junior grade brunette alien officer has to run ship." She's really good, I liked her four lines or so in the pilot and she had some solid stuff, here, I especially liked her freak-out when she realized she had to be in charge. I also loved when she was introduced as a "pet" and just responded with an unenthusiastic "woof". Saw it was directed by Robert Duncan McNiel aka Tom Paris and definitely knows how to set up the Trek exposition before the finale, have everyone talk really fast about the technobable while the camera sweeps around.

Favourite quip of the episode: "She called you a **** 43 times in one sitting. The people at the next table were very annoyed."

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Yep like I said it was def a character building ep over the humor. This is great news to me. Gives the potential for actual story development instead of just relying on the humor angle. If it can maintain a mix of ep 1&2 consistantly then I think it could turn into a real hit. I hate that people aren't even giving it a try because of the humor approach.

8. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I am really liking what they have showed so far; yes, the humor attempts are lame; but it looks like they are purposefully so; and the raw officer shows her mettle quite effectively.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The humor continues to be terrible, but I am still enjoying it overall. At least it shouldn't have to contend with football anymore.

10. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Deconstructing the absurdity of Star Trek while being a Trek fan and without being the slightest bit funny is a fine line to walk, but Seth is trying to walk it. Why would anyone try to walk that line?

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why would anyone make a movie where the victors from the immediate prequel are somehow reduced to a struggling, barely viable "Resistance" against the opposing army they just definitively beat last time, who has also now produced an even more stupidly over-powered version of the same super weapon for the third time, even though otherwise all military equipment is exactly the same so that the director can use lazy visual imagery to yell "HEY REMEMBER THIS PART?!" at the audience?

Abadacus and Zeta1127 like this.
  12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Wrong thread, J-Wo.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I watched the second episode without having seen the first and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to.
    Sounds like there is no need to go back and watch the first.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Trekmovie has interviews with Brannon Braga and Seth McFarlane. there's a bit where McFarlane actually defends the concept of the Replicators (here they're "synthesizers") which actually kind of works

Recently Ron Moore talked about how he felt the replicators destroyed drama. You have replicators [called “synthesizers”] on The Orville. How do you feel about living in a similar universe where there is no want and no material need?
    With a show like this, there are certain concessions you have to make. I don’t entirely agree with that. I think the replicator was one of the greatest inventions because the replicator more than any other device allowed the philosophy of that show to exist. How is there no money? Of course you wouldn’t need any money because you have f—king replicators.
    More than any other device on the show – more than the warp drive – it was the replicators that defined the social reality of that series. I respectfully disagree with Ron Moore, who happens to be one of my favorite writers.

What are you favourite types of comedies anyway to gauge what is your own comedic wheelhouse. As for Orville, the dialogue is definitely pretty quipping which is, when one takes away the cutaway and dark randomness of Family Guy, the're more quip-driven than anything.

Honestly, two episodes in, and reading interviews, I don't think this is really a deconstructionist parody of Star Trek at all. It's really about being TNG with some funny one liners. I think the humour helps because without it, it would just kind of be an uninspired TNG knock off (the sci-fi concepts haven't exactly blown my hair back or anything, the plots have been a high tech machine and alien zoo which are very well worn Trek tropes, but it nails the feel). But it seems to be settling in for more having the look and feel of TNG-era stuff and the comedy is in the dialogue bantering.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I'm not sure I'd say it's deconstructionist so much as observational. The humor is found in the comments the characters make that real people would make in those situations but that something like TNG would generally never have its characters say because they're usually so formal; as well as when things that would happen on a daily basis interrupt (or become part of) a scene.

16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    TNG made plot out of the differences between people who were on duty and off duty, but no one on the Orville seems able to tell the difference, so characters aren't really making comments that real people would make in a professional setting. Seth finds that incongruity funny. It's his style, but it is irksome and undermines the effort to make real Trek with a sense of humor.

17. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't think what most people think is funny is actually funny, to the point I stay well way from the likes of Family Guy and The Simpsons. I do appreciate what The Big Bang Theory tries to do, because I am a dumb smart guy too.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    See, I generally can't stand TBBT. You get some.good quips from Sheldon, sure, but 90% of the time they seem to think just adding a geek reference randomly to a sentence constitutes a joke.

Whereas Family Guy, while it does cutaway skit gags that have nothing to do with the main story, add some kind of new context to the reference, or a situation to contrast the reference against, or examining an aspect of the reference in a way that it wasn't meant to but clearly was there the entire time; and that's where the humor emerges from. Not "haha, they just mentioned the TARDIS!".

Mia Mesharad, Sarge and Rylo Ken like this.
  19. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I didn't say I really watch TBBT, I just appreciate what it tries to do, as a socially awkward geek, so when it is the only thing on I do watch it.

20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Holy crap ep 3 was good! Talk about a massive moral issue at this eps core. Much like ep 2 the humor is in it but it's taking a back seat and we are getting story development. This show is far more then I thought it would be. Im in.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I liked the second episode more than the pilot, but I still could do without trademark MacFarlane pop culture references. It's weird for a spaceship crew to be talking about Dora the Explorer and the Smurfs and the references aren't even funny.

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Family Guy and McFarlane in general are all about being subversive and I have never appreciated that aspect of his efforts.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I was surprised at episode 3- swap the character names around and that could legit have been a 2nd or 3rd season TNG episode almost word for word (minus the Rudolph part, which was actually used in a very touching way here).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    I finally just started watching this, and I can't get over the feeling that it thinks it's funnier than it really is. Star Trek itself has always had funny one-liners.
    Like a friend of mine said this past week, "It's like classic Star Trek, but with fewer double entendres."

25. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I was on the fence so far but really enjoyed Ep3. Obviously they modelled the episode context and feel after a generic TNG episode. Saying that, I was delightfully surprised to find myself engaged and really enjoying it.

The garbage FG humour took a back seat, and I was able to get into this episode more. Hopefully this trend continues, but still got the feeling this show will get cancelled after S1. They need to pick what they want to do, be a sci-fi show with some mild adult humour...or be a dumb FG-live action show set in space. If its the latter, it will def get cancelled. And if it just walks the middle ground, it may also get cancelled.