main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Orville [Seth McFarlane's returning Sci-Fi Show]

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Sep 2, 2017.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I really was expecting Isaac's solution to be inducing, or otherwise directly causing, the eradication of the civilization- 'correcting the error', so to speak, as well as the transfer/resignation/court martial for Kelly and/or Ed.

Also, that ship at the end had to totally be an homage to Flight of the Navigator, no?

2. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I am very satisfied with the way that The Orville was presented this season. Yes, most of the humor attempts were not successful; but the straight and tense moments more than made up for the lackluster moments. A really good first season and hoping that it continues beyond season two.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I could not help but think of an old Star Trek episode, "Behold! A god that bleeds!"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It was very "Who Watches the Watchers?"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah the series found it's footing tonally near the end there, although the opening scenes are basically just comedy opening scenes. which, to be fair, did happen a lot on TNG-DS9-VOY. Favourite opening scene was them doing Kariokie at the bar and Bortus just went "YOU WILL BE SILENT!" The last two episodes were pretty cool for nifty sci-fi concepts that didn't quite seemed ripped off from the TNG era.

I do like the quips and one-liners and I hope they never go away. But some places they can be a bit more delicately applied. Some are really great and come from the plot and character, like Issac's "Practical Joke" where he removed Gordon's leg. "Ha. ha." That's a solid sci-fi gag that is definitely a bit darker than what they could get away with on Trek. More finding that sweet spot where it works. Which is, admittedly, really difficult.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Only just watched the finale a few days ago. I was waiting as long as I could to savor it. I’m beyond happy with this show and can’t wait for S2. I hope it gets a full 26 Ep season but that’s really a thing of the past with todays shows it seems. I’d guess 20 if we lucky.

7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The social media episode was a bit shy of Black Mirroresque but I appreciated the attempt. There’s a gap between ambition and talent that makes me want to root for Seth even though the gap is wide.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also of interest: apparently the season finale wasn't the season finale. The actual season finale they filmed was pushed back to be part of season 2. This is why the season was only 12 episodes long instead of the original 13.

I wonder if it was just scheduling concerns or if they're retooling it in the wake of the series being renewed for a second season? (in other words, maybe that finale had more finality to it originally, in the event of it being a single season series?)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I absolutely loved this shows first season hopefully the show can keep it up! It seems to me there are about 3 LOL moments the rest Is serious like Star Trek and I love that. IMHO it is better then TNG, Deep Space 9, and Voyager and although belter then those Treks it was a direct Homage! With a hint of TOS The music, the Animation and opening credits all an homage to TNG !!!

10. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    I hope they do a major refit of orville for S2. I am not a fan of the cuŕrent design...

Sarge likes this.
  11. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I think the majority of Orville fans would disagree with this and love the show as is.

seeker_two likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    ^ I believe he was talking more about the ship itself getting rejigged. But I doubt it because a second season of a space ship show should be cheaper cuz they keep the same VFX / sets.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I mean, they've severely busted the ship several times in a row and it was repaired to it's normal design each time.

Unless they do something super heroic, lose the entire Orville, and are granted a Heavy Cruiser (or other new class) rechristened the "Orville II". But even that would require them to do some significant set alterations that would likely be cost prohibitive (why rebuild all of your sets when you can keep the same ship and put that money into the CGI or makeup?),

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  14. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I’ve talked about this on other boards but I’m convinced they will indeed get a heavy cruiser at some point which makes sense if they go the way I think they will and have war with the Krill. They can only hug the donkey so many times.

Word is that S2 will only be 14 Ep 13 of them new and 1 carried over from S1. This is good and disappointing to me. Less risk of filler episodes but dammit I was hoping for atleast 20 to really expand the setting.

15. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    I would like to see more areas on the ship.....different crew quarters, a rec deck, galley/kitchen, etc.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We kinda already have, though- the rec deck is the "holodeck" and the cafeteria has been seen several times.

17. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    The cafeteria, yes.....but not the kitchen. I'd like to see Orville's version of ENT's Chef. Maybe even have Chef teach Isaac how to cook....

Also, I'd like to see a real, non-holographic rec area like the one on TMP or Picard's fencing gym.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Have a premiere date! Dec 30th, 2018! After NFL! So, like, 11 PM

http://comicbook.com/startrek/2018/05/14/the-orville-season-2-premiere-date/

"The Orville will return on Sunday, December 30th following a Sunday Night Football double-header. The series will then resume in its Thursday home following the conclusion of the NFL season."

Bit of a long wait but Fox has Thursday Night Football NFL this year so it's basically taking Orville's slot from Sept to Dec. Still that is a long run of episodes when it comes back so that should be fun.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

"I am not afraid."

And, you know, beyond the generic stingers added in, the music in this trailer is rather above average.

The one gag line could be kinda meta about Orville, if one was being cynical, though:

"That was pretty good."
    "Thanks- I plagiarized it from, like, nine different things."

;)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Is it just me, or does the ship's drive section look like 3 toilet seats glued together?

gezvader28 likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That top down view that opens the trailer kinda had me thinking the same think, ha. Moreso than the Ori ships from SG-1.
    [​IMG]

22. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    The trailer was good. If they had done this for S1 instead of going with the comedy in space route it would have drawn in more people and some of the haters to. S1 push was so misleading to what the show actually was.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Even this trailer is pushing the comedy more than the show really conveys- there only seems to be one serious moment in there that isn't a generic "here they come" "open fire" type line.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    looks like nice new hero shot from underneath the Orville that opens the trailer, I'm expecting to see that in about 50% of the episodes at least

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    From The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror this year:

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.