main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Oscar Race: Now Disc. Ranking the Oscar hosts of the past 20 years

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    5 is too few, 10 is too many.

Make it 7.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Or they could do away with the numerical guidelines and just nominate the movies that deserve to be nominated. Some years they could do five. Other years maybe twenty-five or thirty. Some years, probably only one or two.

3. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Nominating one would *really* help with the suspense...

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Right. Suspense. Like the year of RotK. Or Titanic. Or any number of other films. Some years they might as well just nominate one, it's so obvious which one is going to win.

5. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Tell that to Martin Scorsese.

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Regardless of the category, Sorkin's screenplay for The Social Network is Oscar worthy.
    Sorkin is brilliant.

7. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  8. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  9. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Biggest Surprise in the Nominations tomorrow?

"We?re now mere hours away from the Academy Award nominations. You can check me out tomorrow morning on Oscar.com at 8:30 am Eastern/5:30 am Pacific where I?ll react live to the announcement with Road to the Oscars host Chris Harrison (I have many Bachelor questions for him). Until then, let?s guess what tomorrow?s biggest surprises might be. Here are some unexpected outcomes that may have us all talking. These are not necessarily predictions, just things that could happen."

1. The Academy nominates True Grit?s Hailee Steinfeld in the Best Actress category despite her supporting campaign. Please, no.
    2. Blue Valentine earns surprise nods for Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams (a man can dream!). Him, yes.
    3. Biutiful?s Javier Bardem knocks out Get Low?s Robert Duvall for the fifth Best Actor slot. Okay by me.
    4. Winter?s Bone costar John Hawkes bumps out The Social Network?s Andrew Garfield in Best Supporting Actor. Nah.
    5. Another Year?s Lesley Manville scores a surprise nomination?for Best Supporting Actress. Who saw that?
    6. The Coen brothers snag a Best Director slot over DGA nominee David O. Russell. For what?
    7. A movie outside the Broadcast Critics, Producers Guild, and AFI lists ? possibly Another Year or Shutter Island ? lands a Best Picture nomination. Shutter Island, yeah, why not?
    8. Both Mila Kunis and Barbara Hershey score supporting actress nods for Black Swan. That's fine.
    9. Julianne Moore joins her Kids Are All Right costar in the Best Actress race.No.
    and?
    10. Black Swan ties The King?s Speech for the most nominations with 11. S'alright.

10. bandykullan_

bandykullan_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2001
    I'm a bit excited about the foreign film, since I used to work with one of the main actresses in the Swedish film that's up for nomination.

11. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Apart from the snubbing of Andrew Garfield and Chris Nolan, I'm pretty happy with these picks.

Very happy that both The Illusionist and Another Year managed to sneak in, although Lesley Manville was utterly robbed of a nomination.

12. Vincent-Kenobi

Vincent-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 4, 2008
    Really happy to see that John Hawkes got a nod.

13. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    No nods for Tron: Legacy in either visual effects or original score. I call bullcrap on that.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    My roommate is big on Tangled, and hated Toy Story 3, so I'm not looking forward to the next 24-hours.[face_beatup]

15. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    How Barbara Hershey didn't get a nom is beyond me.

17. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    If they are going to have 10 film noms, why not 10 acting noms for each category?

18. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Because nominating a film for Best Supporting Actress isn't going to lure as many people as nominating a film for Best Picture.

19. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    It would lure all their relatives, no?

At first they say they want to reduce campaigning, and then they increase the numbers of noms. It's one or the other.

20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    IMHO, they should do what the Emmy's have done in the last few years which is to have about 7 nominees in the major acting and picture categories. 10 is indeed too many, but 5 is often not enough.

Are we going to have another Oscar prediction contest this year?

My major prediction now for the Oscars: The King's Speech will win best picture. Social Network may have been the frontrunner for months, but a Golden Globe means nothing in terms of Oscar prediction. Actually, considering the last 5 Golden Globe Drama winners only produced 1 Best Picture winner, TSN is now much less likely to win, from a certain point of view :p

But my main point is this: When SAG, the DGA, and the Producers Guild all give your film the top award, your chances of winning the Oscar go up astronomically. Because those are the very people voting for the Oscars.

This would be my upset prediction for the year anyway. And I'd be quite happy about it. The King's Speech is a better film than The Social Network, though not quite as good as Black Swan. However it and Black Swan tied for my personal favorite this year. So I'd be happy to see it win.

Actually, confession... of the 7 Best Picture nominees I've seen (still remaining are The Fighter, The Kids Are All Right, and Winter's Bone), The Social Network is my least favorite film. It's good enough, it just didn't really grab me. Vastly overrated.

-sj loves kevin spacey

21. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Yes, we are, but hold fire a bit. All the noms are included.

22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Or it could be that people just don't enjoy the film quite as much as other films. I know I didn't. It was good, but I didn't connect with it very much. And I like Aaron Sorkin. Just because a bunch of critics said something was the best film of the year doesn't make it so.

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    The Social Network's decline is even simpler than the presence of Aaron Sorkin's detractors - it's a challenging, singular film with no cheap sentiment and and a savage wit. These films do not win Best Picture Oscars. Apart from All About Eve. The Academy thrive on much simpler stuff that spoon-feeds its themes and has no actual cultural relevance: The King's Speech.

25. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Wow, there was a load of self-praise in *that* assessment!

[face_laugh]