Amph The Oscar Race: Now Disc. Ranking the Oscar hosts of the past 20 years

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Nov 13, 2005.

1. JMJacenSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    The Social Network has to win. It "defines a generation"!
  2. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, that's what it's selling, I guess.
  3. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  4. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Not sure about westerns since there are so few of them today, but the Academy definitely does not treat comedies favorably. Of course they lampshaded this at the ceremony a few years ago where Will Ferrell, Jack Black and John C. Reilly did a little song and dance number lamenting their poor chances at getting nominations.
  5. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, this year there's a Western up for 10 nominations. I think that Dances With Wolves and Unforgiven kinda broke down that stigma to some degree, but then it's hard to say since they're pretty rare these days. Good ones are rarer still.
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Well, yeah, westerns, comedies, thrillers, action movies, horror. Basically, if it looks like a genre piece, it has to be twice as good to get half the attention.
  7. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  8. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Some of those would be way to subjective. But I like the opening scene award, though. A while ago some friends of mine and I were discussing some hypothetical awards, like Best Voice Actor/Cast for animated films.
  9. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    Agreed. I like the idea of giving an award for the best stunt. Some movies, like Raiders, become iconic solely because of their great stuntwork.
  10. JMJacenSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Not so sure "Best Trailer" is worthy of an Academy Award category, but this was spot on

I don't think you could pay me enough money to watch No Country for Old Men ever again, but I still watch the trailer from time to time.
  11. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    [image=http://mahawa.jw-music.net/images/jw9.jpg]

John Williams is not amused.:p
  12. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Best Titles, best first scene, best second scene, best cast, best voice cast, best trailer (anything to improve them!), best stunt, best montage.
  13. Radical_Edward Jedi Knight

star 3
    How about something along the lines of "best acceptance speech at previous year's Oscars"

Or just "shortest acceptance speech"
  14. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, since no one remembers the central character. Or a certain "fight scene" where there's no stuntwork whatsoever.
  15. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Stunt work is stunt work. :p

I don't go to a movie to see it, but it's nice when it's well done.
  16. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Sorry to be off-topic, but ther is an interesting BBC article about why Sci-Fi films don't get the big Oscar glory like Best Picture and why they think Inception won't win.
  17. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, that doesn't require intuition - no Best Director nomination means no Best Picture win.

I think, though, that Inception still would have received a token Best Picture nod in the top 5, and that Black Swan would have missed out, with Aronofsky still nominated as Director.
  18. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Best Stunt is the most obvious one. Best Trailer would be awesome too. And I have to agree with the Best Title one too.
  19. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  20. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "Earlier this week, Academy Award co-host Anne Hathaway revealed that she would not be ripping a page out of Ricky Gervais? award show hosting playbook, How To Offend Everyone You?re Supposed To Be Honoring?And Then Some. ?I think that humor is really difficult to pull off,? Hathaway said. ?And I?m not particularly adept at it.? (She also doesn?t want to commit career suicide just to land a solid, below-the-belt jab at The Tourist.) If Hathaway changes her mind before Sunday, however, Ricky Gervais has thoughtfully assembled an entire Oscar opening monologue for her and Oscar co-host James Franco. Read it in its entirety below.

V.O.
    Ladies and Gentlemen.
    Please welcome your hosts for this evening?
    James Franco and Anne Hathaway

(Music and applause)
    (James and Anne walk out looking absolutely perfect)

JAMES FRANCO
    Hello and welcome to The 83rd Academy Awards,
    Live from Los Angeles.

ANNE HATHAWAY
    That?s foreign for City of Angels.
    And this room is certainly filled will those angels.

(Applause)

JAMES FRANCO
    Thank you. I?m James Franco.

ANNE HATHAWAY
    ?and I?m Anne Hathaway.

JAMES FRANCO
    You probably know me from 127 Hours where I play a man trapped in an enclosed space who decides he would rather cut his own arm off than stay where he was. Now that sounds ?way out? but wait till half way through this ******* ceremony and you?ll start to identify with him.

ANNE HATHAWAY
    And I?m the new Catwoman. The first white woman to play that role since Michelle Pfeiffer. I want it to be an inspiration to all white people everywhere. Your dreams can come true in Hollywood too.

JAMES FRANCO
    It?s a daunting task hosting The Oscars but we?re not alone. Presenting awards tonight will be a string of Hollywood legends and some other actors who have a film out in March or April.

JAMES FRANCO
    Usually they hire comedians to host The Oscars, but tonight, instead, you get us!

ANNE HATHAWAY
    No comedians tonight. And do you know why? Because comics are ugly.

JAMES FRANCO
    Especially that rude obnoxious one who played the Steve Carell part in the English remake of The Office.

ANNE HATHAWAY
    But you can all relax because Ricky Gervais is in London?

(Nervous laughter)

He?s doing some charity work.
    Yeah, he?s visiting orphans with cancer.
    He?s telling them what bald little losers they are?

JAMES FRANCO
    Yeah, cos he?s rude right?

(Applause)

Thank you.
    No rudeness tonight.
    It?s going to be a night of the most privileged people in the world being told how brilliant they are and thanking God for loving them more than ugly poor foreigners.

(Applause)

That?s not to say that we don?t care. No, apart from all the great movies we made this year we continued our life-saving philanthropy. Mega stars like Angelina Jolie, George Clooney and Ben Stiller brought light to third world poverty and famine and shocked the world with visions of children so hungry they?d been living off dead beetles all their lives.

ANNE HATHAWAY
    Yeah and Yoko Ono said. ?What?s wrong with that??

(Laughter)

JAMES FRANCO
    Oh Anne you are naughty. In a respectful, wholesome way.

(Nodding and smiling)

That Ricky Gervais should do more for charity.

(Murmurs of agreement)

Ricky Gervais is now worth $80,000,000. The obnoxious Brit confirmed the figure, adding,?Yes and my dentist hasn?t seen a penny.?

ANNE HATHAWAY
    Yeah, why doesn?t he get his teeth straightened and bleached like everyone else in Hollywood?

JAMES FRANCO
    It?s a good question Anne. For the same reason he doesn?t have botox or suck up to important producers - there?s something wrong with him.

ANNE HATHAWAY
    There must be. Why isn?t the stocky, fangy, little slob more like us, right?

JAMES FRANCO
    That ugly dude needs to get a Hollywood makeover, big time.

ANNE HATHAWAY
    Quite. And even though most of the actresses here have eating disorders, that?s better than being
  21. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    Like I said to the people I was watching the show with: "You know what this needs? Ricky Gervais. Hell, just get him to host every single award show from now on. Even the Grammys. Especially the Grammys."
  22. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  23. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Gervaise at the Grammys. ******* incredible. I would pay a lot of money to see that.
  24. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I wonder if Spielberg's rather pointed comments on this subject were related to the fact that Jaws, The Color Purple, E.T., Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Saving Private Ryan were all nominated for Best Picture, and LOST.

He made his point without mentioning his own movies, but still, anyone who missed this, watch the clip. You could tell the audience was with him on this one, especially when he mentioned the Scorcese movie that lost out to Ordinary People.
  25. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I'm a big fan of both the book and film version of Ordinary People, and I think it deserved Best Picture. It irritates me how it has become an assumption that Raging Bull deserved Best Picture, and that Ordinary People somehow doesn't deserve to be in the same conversation. Well, it does, and I've seen both films. Most people who put OP down have never seen it and probably wouldn't get it anyway. It's a tremendous film, and I'm glad it won.

Saving Private Ryan is so massively overrated.