main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Oscar Race: Now Disc. Ranking the Oscar hosts of the past 20 years

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I disagree, I don't think that King Kong has much of a chance at the Oscars. I agree that the effects look spectacular, but to the Academy, it will look like PJ is bucking another statue when he's already won 11 of them.

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    It wouldn`t be Jackson it would be WETA

Jackson would only be eligible for Picture Director and Screenplay based off another source(He won`t get any of these)

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Ok fine, WETA then. The samae arguement still applies.

4. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Giving Kong an Oscar is a slap in the face to the three best blockbusters of the year, ROTS, BB and GOF. Any one of those three deserves an oscar over Kong.

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    This film hasn't been released yet, right?

Have you seen it? :D

6. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    ROTS has a slim chance,one statue at most. Lucas hates the academy and the feeling is mutual. (I really think Lucas has a point if one movie would come out of a time capsule from 1977 it would be Star Wars not Annie Hall)

Begins should get Costume and Set Design statues.

GOF I`ll be seeing this weekend so I can`t judge,but the previous Harry Potter has won any oscar.

7. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    In "Walk the Line" I liked Dallas Roberts, who plays Sam Phillips of Sun Records. Though he only has about one scene in the movie, that scene is the best one...

I completely agree. That one speech, in all of its direct simpliticity, was easily the best scene in any movie I've watched in a long time.

For me, the last time a scene literally gave me goosebumps like that was when Red Redding made the decision to "get busy livin'" and went to go find Andy at the end of Shawshank Redemption.

Phoenix deserves the Oscar, not because it was a complicated movie, but because he executed the role with perfection. I think a requirement for first year acting students should now be to watch this performance.

Witherspoon for much the same reason. I think it's safe to say that they both made the audience forget it was a movie.

8. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    I think the upcoming film Munich has a good shot at it.

9. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Yeah, there was a trailer shown for Munich at the opening of Walk the Line.

It does look interesting, certainly no detail spared, and Bana's performance looks like a solid one as well.

It looks like Munich could atone Speilberg for WotW, which I thought was extremely unbalanced as a movie. I think it's obvious which movies Speilberg makes for money, and which ones he is actually passionate about.

10. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    I think it has a chance for the effects oscars,I really do. WETA`s special effects have given ILM a black eye,they are far more realistic.

This is not at all true! WETA hides their F/X in the dark (Just see LOTR, when it's broad daylight the effects look mediocre at best) while for instance the SW films like TPM and AOTC are very bright and also has many more effects than LOTR. The light makes them look slightly more unrealistic than if it were dark. I would like to see WETA take on an effects job like AOTC. The entire movie would have looked like crap! ILM is far better than WETA!

11. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Fortunately no. But both trailers turned me off and after LOTR, I had high expectations.

12. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    In your opinion of course

13. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    just returned from the "dressing a galaxy" exhibition in LA and if trisha biggar doesn't bring home the golden boy there is no justice. to see just how lucas and all associated with him are disliked in hollywood, note that trisha has never even been nominated.

john williams for music - if they gave it to the rings trilogy even though music was re-used to capture the story arc, williams should be a shoe-in. no one deserves it more.

i sincerely hope ILM is rewarded for their amazing work in RotS. with everything published and visual references it's obvious to all.

and ian.......he may not win but i would love him to receive the nomination.

guess there were other movies in 2005. so...phoenix for johnny. i saw johnny cash in person and this is a better acting job than foxx's for ray charles. reese is good but not the straight shot that joaquin is.

i thought ryan gosling was - just so real - in "stay".

14. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    That one speech, in all of its direct simpliticity, was easily the best scene in any movie I've watched in a long time.

For me, the last time a scene literally gave me goosebumps like that was when Red Redding made the decision to "get busy livin'" and went to go find Andy at the end of Shawshank Redemption.

Phoenix deserves the Oscar, not because it was a complicated movie, but because he executed the role with perfection. I think a requirement for first year acting students should now be to watch this performance.

Yeah, that was a really arresting moment. Roberts says the speech just right, too; like he's completely exasperated, not like he's making a speech. And Phoenix just stares at him, and then chokes out that he will sing a song he wrote himself. His band tries to stop him, saying they haven't learned the song (which is "Folsom Prison Blues"). He senses that he will have no other chance and sings it anyway, the first verse unaccompanied and raggedly. Roberts doesn't say another word, but you can see emotions flickering across his face; first, impatience; then neutrality; and finally interest, as the band finally finds the beat and joins in, and Cash gives the third verse more confidence. It's sort of like watching Cash's persona coalesce right there. Great screenwriting; great acting.

15. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Lucas hates the academy and the feeling is mutual. (I really think Lucas has a point if one movie would come out of a time capsule from 1977 it would be Star Wars not Annie Hall)

Where does this opinion come from anyway? Its the Director's and Writer's Guilds that Lucas had problems with and resigned from. Lucas' films and ILM have received plenty of Oscar attention over the years and his movies generate massive amounts of money which is always respected. Lucas has received honorary awards (that he showed up to receive) from the Academy and presented awards at the Oscars. How does this translate into a mutual hatred? I don't think George particularly cares if he wins anything or even gets nominated. He doesn't have anything to prove, and likewise the probable general feeling within the Academy is that he has received a lot of recognition from them. Granted, it hasn't been in big categories but if George really craves an Oscar he'll try something different instead of the big popcorn movie.

16. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    This year hasn't had many good movies. Not like last year with "Teh Aviator" and "Million Dollar Baby." I think Harry Potter will win anyway, as it's one of the best I've seen so far. :)

17. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    I disagree, I don't think that King Kong has much of a chance at the Oscars. I agree that the effects look spectacular, but to the Academy, it will look like PJ is bucking another statue when he's already won 11 of them.

It?s too early to determine whether or not "Kong" will be in contention for the major awards, so I really can?t comment in detail on this matter as of yet. However, you make an excellent point about the fact that Jackson just won several Oscars two years ago, which will inevitably factor into his probability of obtaining similar accolades with this new film; this again has little to do with the underlying worth of "Kong," which may or may not be great, but rather more to do with the internal politics of the Academy, who ostensibly weigh matters such as the one in question when filling out their ballots (there are exceptions, of course, but it is generally true).

This is not at all true! WETA hides their F/X in the dark (Just see LOTR, when it's broad daylight the effects look mediocre at best) while for instance the SW films like TPM and AOTC are very bright and also has many more effects than LOTR. The light makes them look slightly more unrealistic than if it were dark. I would like to see WETA take on an effects job like AOTC. The entire movie would have looked like crap! ILM is far better than WETA!

Although I don?t know whether it is possible to say in a definitive manner that WETA is a "better" effects house than ILM, or vice versa (there are far too many variables), your point concerning the use of shadow and generally dark ambience/cinematography in order to conceal suspicious effects shots has a fair amount of validity. Low resolution effects can disguise some more dubious images, but there is often a significant amount of grain that accompanies such tactics; the LOTR pictures were murky, but the murkiness was controlled and (for the most part) utilized properly within the context of the pictures. I would have to watch the films again on a big screen to determine whether or not this was the case (with the digital mastering, it is far more difficult to discern such matters on DVD, as the image is put to less scrutiny than that of a 70-foot screen). However, there are instances in which computer techniques are employed to darken the CGI imagery so that any tenuous or unrealistic movements, models, and so forth, are significantly less apparent. I am not familiar enough with the LOTR films to be able to come to any conclusion as to whether or not this sort of strategy was used at all, but I imagine that it is employed to some degree on most large-scale effects pictures.

and ian.......he may not win but i would love him to receive the nomination.

I would like it if McDiarmid were to get a Supporting Actor nomination, though I don?t imagine it is likely, especially considering the fact that Lucas is not going to spend a bunch of money on an advertising campaign for his film (the publicity he receives in this regard will be on behalf of 20th Century Fox, as more of a platonic gesture than anything else). As I indicated earlier in this thread, McDiarmid creates a rich, complex portrayal in the middle of a franchise that has never been distinguished by its acting; while I admire many of the performances in these pictures, few have achieved the layering and intricacy that McDiarmid is able to communicate in his role as Palpatine/Sidious. Yes, there are a couple of "kabuki" moments when he emerges as Darth Sidious, but overall it is a controlled piece of acting that suggests both a deep conviction and rapacious fervor.

guess there were other movies in 2005. so...phoenix for johnny. i saw johnny cash in person and this is a better acting job than foxx's for ray charles. reese is good but not the straight shot that joaquin is.

Joaquin Phoenix will undoubtedly get a (deserved) Best Actor nomination, and while his performance is outstanding, the film that contains it is actually quite flawed. In a narrative and structural sense, "Walk the Line" is surpr

18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Why are we saying Crowe won't get the Oscar for Cinderella Man?

ES

19. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I really don`t think the Academy will give him another oscar,the world is sort of POed at him

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The film wasn't successful, and it was released in the summer. Old news. And he's already won.

21. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    I wouldn't write Cinderella Man off yet. It has been rereleased and an Oscar campaign is in full swing. If it had been released now instead of the crucial blunder of releasing it in the summer it would likely be a strong contender instead of the wildcard it is now.

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, so the Academy and all of us are abandoning any pretense of artistic praise and playing the politics of idiocy, are we?

What a pretentious facade the Academy Awards have become.

E_S

23. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    The first "Star Wars" was nominated for Best Picture in part because of its dazzling originality ? Lucas took familiar elements and then fused them into what was (and remains) a spectacular piece of escapist entertainment, perhaps even one of the most viscerally powerful films ever made.

True, and at the opposite end is American Graffiti which demonstrated that GL is quite capable of a small, character-driven film (and was also nominated for several Oscars). I'd like to see George return to something like that at least once more, something without all the technical wizardry! Shoot something outdoors! :p

Oh, so the Academy and all of us are abandoning any pretense of artistic praise and playing the politics of idiocy, are we?

Well, you can speak for yourself on that one. :p

It is a plain fact these days: if a movie fails financially, it has no hope of winning any Oscars regardless of how good it is.

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't know why they did that. For one thing, it had no hope of competing with Star Wars and Batman. For another, people just don't want to see Oscar movies during the summer.

25. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..eh "Cinderella Man" was a darned entertaining movie.. I can understand why it was released in the Summer because it could have been a roaring crowd-pleaser (the half-full theatre that i saw it in on opening weekend had people clapping and cheering in their seats)..

Sadly, the world at large HATES Russell Crowe.. He really DOES turn people away from his films because of his hijinks.. To bad, really. Few actors deliver like that guy does.

Anywho: David Strathairn for "Good Night, and Good Luck" is the second performance i've seen this year that SCREAMS "Oscar Nom" (the first was Philip Seymour Hoffman, of course). If Straithairn doesn't get recognized, the academy is TRULY a farce.