main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Oscar Race: Now Disc. Ranking the Oscar hosts of the past 20 years

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    EW's roundup of possible Best Actor nominees:

It feels Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix are locks for "Capote" and "Walk the Line" respectively. They are probably right. That leaves three open spots:

David Strathairn as Edward R. Murrow in "Good Night, and Good Luck" A good chance

Russell Crowe as Jim Braddock in "Cinderella Man" Don't think so.

Eric Bana in "Munich" Don't know until the movie's released.

Jake Gyllenhaal in "Jarhead" Movie wasn't a success.

Heath Ledger in "Brokeback Mountain" Possibly, and Hollywood may want to show how liberal they are.

Cillian Murphy in "Breakfast on Pluto" Though Hollywood loves cross-dressers, they don't love comedies

Tom Wilkinson in "Separate Lies" Too obscure

Bill Murray in "Broken Flowers" Ditto

Johnny Depp in "The Libertine" They'd rather give him the award in a good movie, and are sure there are some coming up

Ralph Fiennes in "The Constant Gardener" & "The White Countess" Yes, for the first one.

Tommy Lee Jones in "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" Probably not.

George Clooney in "Syriana" Yes, probably

Viggo Mortensen in "A History of Violence" I doubt it.

Terence Howard in "Hustle & Flow" Ditto

Nathan Lane in "The Producers" Very hard to get a nom in comedy; also hard in a musical.

Jeff Daniels in "The Squid and the Whale" Too obscure, because there are plenty of good performance in big budget movies.

My predictions: Hoffman; Phoenix; Fiennes; Clooney; and Ledger

2. feenicks

feenicks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 11, 2005
    I feel the same about it staying a dream....but apparently 20th Century has different ideas...or more accurately, dreams.

From Oscar Watch.

[image=http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/8604/starwars30qo.jpg]

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I can't read the print...are they hoping for any acting awards?

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yes. Actor, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress, in addition to Best Picture and Director.

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    PORTMAN? That goes beyond dreaming to self-delusion. At least in this role.

And for Best Actor, are they promoting MacGregor or Hayden? I'm curious.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Hayden.

7. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    There promoting Hayden for Actor. McDarmid,Jackson,and McGregor for Supporitng Actor.

If anyone should get anything it will and should be McDarmid

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Hayden was better than Portman, which is not saying much.

MacGregor was good, but there is a lot of competition.

But MacDiarmid was really very good in an almost unplayable role. He made that bad dialogue sing. Ralph Fiennes (who is not very good as Voldemort in GOF), take note.

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    EW's round-up of possible Best Actress nominees:

Reese Witherspoon "Walk the Line"
    Gwyneth Paltrow "Proof"
    Claire Danes "Shopgirl"
    Charlize Theron "North Country"
    Ziyi Zhang "Memoirs of a Geisha"
    Keira Knightley "Pride and Prejudice"
    Radha Mitchell "Melinda and Melinda"
    Rosario Dawson "Rent"
    Q'Orianka Kilcher "The New World"
    Joan Allen "The Upside of Anger"
    Felicity Huffman "Transamerica"
    Julianne Moore "The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio"
    Natasha Richardson "The White Countess"
    Judi Dench "Mrs. Henderson Presents"

10. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...ha, the only two of those performances that i have ANY possiblity of seeing are Claire Danes in "Shopgirl" and Q'Orianka Kilcher in "The New World".

I did see "Walk the Line" this weekend, and Reese's performance could be Oscar worthy.

We'll see.

11. Eire

Eire Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2005
    I think the most Oscars will go to ROTS. It was the best film with I've seen this year.
    And oscar for no-english film will go to Nightwatch- it was one serious film not from Anerica which was in cinema/

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Zhang Ziyi has to be the most ravaged woman in cinema... :D

Hayden for Best Actor? Look, LFL, if you're going to clown around... [face_not_talking]

E_S

13. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Seeing Lucasfilm campaigning makes me very happy. Now they just need a spread that specifically advertises McDiarmid.

14. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...eh, there is no way in hell that any Star Wars performances will get nominated..

If Sean Astin didn't get nominated for "Return of the King", then there's no way Ian will even be considered, no matter WHAT ability he has to make lousy dialogue sound good.

15. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Eire,

I'm sorry, but did you SEE Night Watch? It wasn't unwatchable, but it certainly wasn't what I'd call a good movie. It was a Russian attempt at a hollow Hollywood sci-fantasy movie (and yes, I know how successful it's been, but then Titanic made lots of money, too).

16. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    I haven't seen most of the movies that are in the Oscar race since they haven't been released over here yet, but as contender for best foreign movie, I'd like to put the Dutch movie "Simon" up.
    The movie is about some subjects that are quite controversial in the USA, like euthanisia, drugs and homosexuality, but it's a great and touching movie, and I recommend it to anyone.

As for best actress, I'd like to see Julliane Moore win the award. She's my favorite actress, and I believe she's been nominated twice in a row, once even for two awards.

I think the competition for best SFX will be between Narnia, King Kong and ROTS. Maybe they'll give the award to ROTS, but more as a gesture to all the three prequels. I doubt it will win any other awards.

17. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    here's the odds from sportswatch.com, an online betting service: The odds of ROTS winning for best picture are approximately 500-1! Oh my!

Academy Awards - What Film will win the Oscar for Best Picture
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Movie Current Odds Original Odds
    Munich 5-2 12-1
    Cinderella Man 8-1 6-1
    Syriana 8-1 8-1
    Memoirs of a Geisha 8-1 10-1
    Good Night and Good Luck 15-1 10-1
    Brokeback Mountain 15-1 20-1
    Capote 22-1 20-1
    Crash 32-1 30-1
    All the Kings Men 35-1 20-1
    The Constant Gardener 35-1 20-1
    A History of Violence 40-1 15-1
    Ask The Dust 45-1 30-1
    King Kong 45-1 28-1
    Kingdom of Heaven 45-1 22-1
    Mrs. Henderson Presents 45-1 30-1
    Match Point 50-1 30-1
    The New World 50-1 25-1
    Rent 55-1 40-1
    Derailed 60-1 50-1
    Pride and Prejudice 60-1 50-1
    The Producers 60-1 40-1
    Broken Flowers 70-1 50-1
    Jarhead 75-1 50-1
    The Family Stone 75-1 100-1
    The Matador 75-1 50-1
    Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada 75-1 50-1
    Proof 80-1 50-1
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 85-1 75-1
    Oliver Twist 100-1 40-1
    The Chronicles of Narnia 100-1 75-1
    Get Rich or Die Tryin' 200-1 100-1
    Hustle & Flow 350-1 250-1
    Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith 500-1 500-1
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 750-1 500-1
    War of the Worlds 750-1 500-1

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    People keep saying Julianne Moore is going to get nominated for this new racially charged drama coming out soon.

I think she'll probably get nominated for The PRizewinner of Defiance, Generic State. It's the kind of warmhearted treacle (and based on a true story!) that Oscar loves.

19. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Those SW considerations are standard for a big production that made a ton of money, although as Ive already said it would not suprise me at all if McDiarmid gets nominated in the supporting actor category.

20. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Wow, they're really reaching. Best Director? Doubtful it'll even get nominated. Picture? Naw, Actor, Best Supporting Actor/Actress? Naw. It's likely to get something for best visual effects, costumes, editing and sound editing.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Don't read too much into that.Its merely to get academy voters thinking. Case in point, Universal put together a similar campaign for The Mummy.

22. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, I figured that was the case.

I wonder if Universal will do the same thing with Serenity? I hope that they'll push Vis Effects for that one

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Probably. I haven't seen Serenity, so I won't judge it, but it probably wouldn't surprise me.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    EW's take on the Best Director race:

Ang Lee "Brokeback Mountain"
    George Clooney "Good Night, and Good Luck"
    Steven Speilberg "Munich"
    Woody Allen "Match Point"
    Sam Mendes "Jarhead"
    Ron Howard "Cinderella Man"
    Peter Jackson "King Kong"
    Terrance Malick "The New World"
    Rob Marshall "Memoirs of a Geisha"
    Fernando Meirelles "The Constant Gardener"
    James Mangold "Walk the Line"
    Bennett Miller "Capote"
    Susan Stroman "The Producers"
    David Cronenberg "A History of Violence"
    Tommy Lee Jones "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada"
    Stephan Gaghan "Syriana"
    Paul Haggis "Crash"

My choices: Lee, Cronenberg, Haggis, Meirelles, & Clooney or Spielberg

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    What, no Rob Marshall? Well, I doubt he'd get it anyway. He won for the first thing he ever directed (Chicago) and while that film was well-done in its own right, they have to know they only won all the Oscars Moulin Rouge! should have but didn't because the voters were shellshocked at actually seeing a musical on screen again.

I agree with whoever pointed out Ryan Gosling in Stay. I hadn't really seen him in anything before and that was a striking performance. I suppose he'd be supporting since McGregor is really the lead... Still, he won't get a nomination, but he earned some respect from me.

Some of those RotS bids really make me laugh. Do they *seriously* think any of their actors are going to get nominated? People hate SW acting, whether it's justified or not (I certainly think it is in a few cases... Natalie). Sam was blah in this film. Ewan was very good, definitely a great bridge to Alec Guinness (who of course *was* nominated... but he was Alec Guinness), but certainly won't be nominated. Ian is the only one who has a shot and even if he does make it he won't win. I suspect they are really hoping for Ian but just didn't want to make the other actors mad and decided to throw them in, too.

I'm hoping of course that RotS takes home some techincal awards, but what I *really* hope for is Trisha Biggar getting a long, long overdue costuming award. Or let's just start with a nomination. Honestly, it's ridiculous. Her costuming is nothing short of amazing.

Now, to Walk the Line. I agree Zaz that Phoenix doesn't look like Cash, but ultimately, that's the least important thing to me. As you said, he nailed every other aspect of the performance. I loved the film on a whole, a lot more than I liked or admired Ray (which was only moderately). I would take him over a Cash-look-alike any day. And Witherspoon usually annoys me but I wasn't even thinking that it was her during the film. As someone said, I truly didn't feel like I was watching a movie. I bought it. I really did. And maybe I'm biased because I'm a Cash fan, but I thought it was the best film of the year I've seen so far.

That has to come with a diclaimer, though. I do think Crash is quite outstanding... just not as enjoyable, of course. It's not meant to be. But it is certainly a needed film. I hope it doesn't get forgotten and looked over because it came out early in the year. It's a great film. Haggis deserves a nod as do some of the actors, probably.