main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vancouver The Oscars

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Azeria_Jade, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azeria_Jade

Azeria_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2001
    Well, who watched them? I am not ashamed to admit I did!

2. poof-the-magic-jedi

poof-the-magic-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2005
    Is it anything like the Osbornes?

3. Fixer808

Fixer808 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    What a joke. There were 4 movies that deserved to win over Crash, Brokeback Mountain being number one. Just shows how much homophobia there still is in the US.

Thank god for Jon Stewart, though. Best Oscar host ever!

4. Master_Ikrik

Master_Ikrik Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2004
    excuse me? Crash was AMAZING, everyone was shocked, Brokeback Mountain could have been the worst movie ever made, but they HAD to nominate it because it was about homosexuality, but Oscar's not ready to come out of the closet, and Crash did deserve best movie, because it WAS the best movie, and if you can't really accept that then boohoo, go cry but then go watch Crash and realize that it was the superior movie. And i found Jon Stewart kind of......nervous, he wasn't comfortable at all and i found that unfortunate, Billy Crystal always did an AMAZING job of hosting them.

5. Azeria_Jade

Feb 3, 2001
    Both of those are silly statements. All of the movies that were nominated were amazing and all had something different to say. Brokeback didn't not win because of homophobia and Crash didn't win because it was hands and feet above the rest. Personally, I thought it was going to be Capote for that was my favorite of the Oscar picks.

The two awards that bothered me were Brokeback for Best Score and the Best Song award which makes me sad to even think about.

6. Fixer808

Apr 22, 2002
    Now chill out, see I wanted Brokeback to win because it was my favorite of the year. "boohoo go cry and then go watch Crash" etc? What are you, ten? I did watch Crash, and that's where I made my judgements from.

I wouldn't have been nearly as annoyed if Capote had won, or Good Night and Good Luck, or Munich, because all those movies blew Crash off the map. Crash had so many cliches, for one... racist cop with elderly father (shows he's a good guy deep down) saves woman he had earlier molested. So what? Does that make him a hero? No, he still SEXUALLY ABUSED HER. No "redemption" there, my friend.

Capote was an amazing movie. I just bought a copy of In Cold Blood after seeing it.

Also, I don't see why Brokeback winning Best Original Score was a bad thing. It was subtle and understated, and went along perfectly with Ennis' same closed-mouth quietness. Good stuff.

One that also annoyed me was Brokeback not winning best Cinematography...

Oh well, at least Brokeback has won scads of other Best Pictures, plus the palm d'or at Cannes. Shows you the Academy Awards aren't the be-all and end-all of motion picture glory...

7. Fixer808

Apr 22, 2002
    Also, I thought Jon Stewart was doing the best he could with the crowd he had, who seemed to have sticks up their backsides.

And Meryl Streep looked friggin' gorgeous. So did Uma Thurman.

8. Master_Ikrik

Jul 30, 2004

9. Fixer808

Apr 22, 2002
    See, they didn't see it for the INCREDIBLY gripping love story between Jake and Heath. I'm serious, after the Pianist, this is one movie where I was choked up at the end. That says a LOT.

Anyway, they were only thinking "Oo, Jake!", and that's a bad way to approach a movie.

Did you see Brokeback? If not, I won't ruin the end without due spoiler warning, but it was friggin' sad. Almost as sad as Adrian Brody wandering through the abandoned Warsaw ghetto sobbing after his family was shipped off in the trains to Auschwitz, in the MIDDLE of the Pianist! It gets even more depressing!

There is no way Brokeback was nominated simply for being a "gay" movie (after all, where was the Best Picture for The Birdcage?). It was nominated because it was done well, and done tastefully, and with sensitivity. That's the only way to go when you're dealing with a short story that was dropped like a hot rock by director after director for about ten years...

For me, Crash just didn't do it. And no offence to you, but being sixteen, I'll bet you have, at least, some subconcious prejudices towards homosexuals, which is why Brokeback didn't hit you like it hit me and my friend, and her mother.
    Don't get me wrong, everybody is bigoted towards something, and having once been sixteen (I'm 25 now), I remember that I, and the kids around me, had at LEAST, an uneasiness about homosexuality (as if it was something you could catch!), which I have since come to accept as something that isn't just a "Lifestyle" for gays, but a LIFE. Atkins is a lifestyle. Like "gay marriage". It isn't about two homosexuals wanting to get married, it's about two PEOPLE wanting to get married.

Well, after that diatribe, I think you can understand why I thought Brokeback should have won. We've all come so far since 1963, but we still have a hell of a ways to go...

10. Master_Ikrik

Jul 30, 2004
    Being sixteen i am surrounded daily by homophobs and gays, and i couldn't care less. If two people love each other then that's cool, i see nothing wrong with it. For me as long they're not grossly hitting on me or being malicious about it i'm completely fine. and as for Atkins? what are you thinking!!!!! ATKINS IS EVIL!!!!! it's almost Thrawn evil...........almost, and it's.........scary...........and it's a diet not a "lifestyle" and i don't really understand why so many people call it that?

11. Fixer808

Apr 22, 2002
    Well, because people are stupid, basically. The actual Atkins died of heart failure, in a brutally delicious twist of irony!
    Yeah, everybody seems to shun the word "diet" in favour of "Lifestyle choices" these days, and it's annoyingly easy to fall into the habit of using the terms...

And good for you for being mature enough to accept people for who they are regardless of sexual preference. Not many 16 year olds are. I was also completely surrounded by idiots who would randomly toss off the word "****" at anyone as an insult, whether they were gay or straight. Not that anyone at my high school was openly gay... they would have had their asses kicked by the morons...

Although "grossly" hitting on you would be what? I've been hit on by gay guys before, but I wouldn't have called it gross, it's just flattering, I guess. Like making grabs? 'Cause that's not cool whether you're straight, gay, or whatever, unsolicited grabbing!

12. Azeria_Jade

Feb 3, 2001
    It was certainly not the greatest compositional work out there. But then again, the Academy has some weird views on music. I did not think LOTR deserved best score either.

Side Note: John Williams (our Star Wars man of music) has been nominated 40 times for an Oscar! That's over 30 years of Oscar nominations! Amazing I say!

All in all the Oscars were pretty good this year. [face_smile]

13. Fixer808

Apr 22, 2002
    I thought the first LOTR had a great soundtrack, but I also thought the second two movies were tripe. They really strayed from the books, and/or went overboard on stupid additions, like Legolas "snowboarding" down the stairs on that shield in The Two Towers. Some of the CG in the second two was highly suspect, as well, and the Eye of Sauron was nowhere near as menacing in the third, as it flicked around looking about Mordor like it had lost its keys.

All in all, the first LOTR movie should have won an Oscar, instead of waiting until they were done andgiving one out for all three. That just isn't fair, and reeks of a fixed win, as it was pre-determined...

14. Azeria_Jade

Feb 3, 2001
    LOTR really did nothing to add to great soundtracks out there.

I think the reason they gave all those Oscars to ROTK is because the Academy was considering LOTR as one movie. I'm not sure, but I think that's it. I do agree that Fellowship was the best. The eleventy-hundred endings in ROTK really bugged me. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.