main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The "Osiris" A ship for my next fanfilm WIP

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Hart-Film, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    So we never get to see your results with Canvas? I was looking forward to seeing them.

2. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Uh, well I am trying to please The_Dark_Knight and some others with their much needed shots, but I will not have the full version of Maya for another month or so, so I can do some shots with Canvas, if you'd like.

3. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I was just curious to see the results you've been talking about that's all. Not a huge deal.

4. Macro_Roshuma

Macro_Roshuma Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Did you call me a n00b?

Ive been here for 9 months!

When does n00bship end??

5. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Just reading your posts by themselves makes you look like a n00b.
    Then I look at your reg. date...yeap.
    You're an uber n00b.

3dsMAX is great and all...but lightwave owns it.

6. wildcat69410

wildcat69410 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2004
    Shadow's right. I was a former Maxer myself, until I got the opportunity to try lightwave for several months. Ever since I was hooked, and as soon as that was over I bought my own full version. Max was a great first step, and it tought me several things about animation and modeling, but Lightwave has the power and the potential to take 3d to a whole nother level.

Lightwave DOES own.

7. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    ^^^
    Exactly.

When does n00bship end??

Forgot to answer this one.
    It ends when you stop being childish, know what you're talking about, respect other opinions...etc.
    Someone who ISN'T a n00b wouldn't need to ask such a n00bish question.

8. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Dude, you're giving away our secrets!

9. HowardFilms

Apr 18, 2005
    Luke: "Is the Max Side Stronger?"

Yoda: "No, quicker, easier, more seductive it is..."

10. Hart-Film

Hart-Film Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2004
    Can we PLEASE, get back ON TOPIC!!!

If you want open up your ow Max vs LW thread.:D

11. -OC-

-OC- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    On CG boards, I don't judge people on their number of post but on their works.
    If an artist from ILM or Weta comes to this board to give advises, will you call him a n00b because he has been their for a shorter time?

I'm a max user and I totally respect the other people's choice, I just keep using max because this is the one I started with, now I'm used to it and I'm too lazy and don't have time to learn another one.

Sorry, for the off topic.
    I already said what I thought of your mesh. It needs more work before you start texturing. So far it just looks like an extruded shape with more extrusions on it

12. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    If an artist from ILM or Weta comes to this board to give advises, will you call him a n00b because he has been their for a shorter time?

Do you even realise that 'n00b' dosn't relate strictly to abilities...it also relates to forum manners.

13. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Shadow_of_Evil posted on 6/17/05 1:13am

Do you even realise that 'n00b' dosn't relate strictly to abilities...it also relates to forum manners.
    [hr][/blockquote]
    Exactly. A "newbie" is someone who is, simply, new to the field. In this case, CGI.. someone who's just picked up the program and is trying to learn. A "n00b", on the other hand, is a newbie who acts like an idiot. Newbies will typically ask pointed questions.. genuinely looking for help, or to comprehend some sort of effect. A n00b will ask stupid questions.. "How do I make the pictures?" or "Why won't MAX open this ZIP file I downloaded?" or other such questions. They're the ones who are under the (mistaken) assumption that because they've gotten their hands on thousands of dollars worth of visual effects software, that they can instantly spit out ILM-level imagery with a push of a button. I sometimes classify people who THINK they know what they're doing (when they actually know nothing at all), as n00bs.

Those of us with the know-how have different responses to this. To the newbies, we can be quite helpful.. newbies tend to ask better questions, and thus, recieve better answers. N00bs, we simply ignore. Or, sometimes, openly flame if it's something particularly annoying (or stupid) that they're blabbing about.

14. Chris_Grant

Chris_Grant Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    You are all so naive, blender is obviously the way forward. :D

15. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
  16. HowardFilms

Apr 18, 2005
    Heh, CANVAS! Actually, I am now hard at work with Maya, and guess what? It has the same basic building blocks as Canvas, so I am moving right along. HAH! All that time was not wasted!

17. -OC-

-OC- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    They are all the same! That's why wondering which sofware is better to start is stupid, because once you can use one, you can use most of them (there are exceptions like Zbrush, that I'm learning right now, amazing). I said 'to start' because the differences between packages are in rendering or extra features (hair, physic simulation...) which are useless if you don't know the basis. When you can model properly, then you can say: "maybe I should drop blender for lightwave because I want to render the character I made with GI and real hair.

but saying "I need maya because it will be better than truespace to animate my twelve polygons ship." is stupip

18. HowardFilms

Apr 18, 2005
    Maya is again more...how do you explain. It is right there in front of you, easy to see, move, animate, whatever. Canvas was the same. Canvas just didn't have power. Good for beginners, not good for serious stuff.

19. Hart-Film

Hart-Film Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2004
    They are all the same! That's why wondering which sofware is better to start is stupid

Exactly!!! Cause istarted in Carrara 1.1, which came free with a magazine, so when i started with max i could already do some VERY basic Max stuff. And I am trying to get better at it, i just bought the 3ds max 7 bible to get me started :D

20. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Hey guys... remember... we don't do "which software is better" threads. There are plenty of places where you can read professional opinions and reviews about such things. AND even then they don't compare software. They just talk about the pros and cons of each software.

21. Talonias

Talonias Jedi Master star 1

May 25, 2005
    A new hope!

No more arguements, now back on topic

Talonias

P.S: Anim8or 4 n00bs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.