main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The OT character's Treatment/Deaths: Does it bother you?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jamtia, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I think when looking over the big picture of the St and the entire saga as a whole, one thing that bothers me is how the OT characters, are getting killed off one by one because it’s “creative.”

When they set up the ST and stated that 7 was Hans Movie, 8 was Luke and 9 was Leias, I already knew what a mess this was and this was after TFA and shortly after Carrie passed. I had a bad feeling that Luke would be next, followed by Leia in 9, even if Carrie had been here for 9.

And this isn’t nostalgia per say, but it bugs the crap out of me that they are going down in each movie to pass the torch to the characters. Granted I think it was the age for the OT to begin with, they are old and won’t be around that long to act in the future. But the vibe I’m getting is just one and done for the OT characters and it’s not right.

With Empire and Clone, both second in their series, you had no major deaths of main character protagonists. I mean you could have least made Luke’s thing more open ended. Originally I thought it was great to have Ot characters reprise their roles, by I worry for Lando, Chewie, Nien, etc for 9.

You don’t have to kill everyone off at once to pass the torch. Yoda and Kenobi passed a decent amount of time apart, years and in movie time. In ST Han and Luke went a few days apart and 2 years movie time?

I could already see the big three appearing as a force ghost trio along ala Rotj in 9 at a Jakku rave following the victory for the new cast.

If you told me before the trilogy started that the main three would die, I would be so disappointed but as long as they spaced it out and it didn’t seem forced, I would come aroun. Carrie’s passing makes this topic and feeling much worse, and now it feels like bam. Everything is done.

Maybe Carrie/Leia would have been the one to stay past 9. Not saying that we would see her character again after, but at least have some ties left to the OT left.

One can argue though that besides the droids and chewy, no one from the PT era is around and maybe they viewed that being, we can’t have anyone from OT who is human around past 9.

And I get it, they are old, and trilogy’s are 15-30 years apart in the timeline, but it’s just something I wanted to get off my chest.

At least so far Luke and Han went out like Heroes. Had this trilogy happened ten years ago, maybe Luke and Leia would have survived.

And this isn’t me hanging on to the past. It is time for a new era. I’m just saying the OT reunion was very short and brief, and it just seems like a very lazy process to kill them all off. I felt worse about this topic to when Ackbar went, then I remembered that his voice actor passed, so that didn’t bother me as much.

For 9, Luke is really the only one who could come back if they wanted to. But I personally think it’s too late. We won’t see new adventures of Luke like we wanted to. This was a one and done for all OT characters. Mark is too old for other movies. I just wish they waited one more movie like 9, the end of the saga supposedly to do so, not only because of Carrie, but because it would feel more natural and less artificial.

For 9 I hope that Lando doesn’t come back for this reason. Off screen deaths are fine LF.

For anyone who likes/agrees with the idea of all three of them going this trilogy that’s fine. In a way, I kind of agree, just don’t like the process. If Luke was going in 8, I wanted to see him in 7 more if that makes sense. I know we were one and done with Obi Wan in 1977, but we didn’t get to know him until 20 years later fully. I guess they wanted to go the same route, but Disney/LF should have realized that while it is the new people’s time to shine, we wanted to see a lot more of the OT to, even if it wasn’t their story anymore. Which btw it still is considering they are the ones who created Kylo Ren in the first place.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
  3. LionHeartV1

LionHeartV1 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 27, 2014
    It bothers me. Killing off the OG3 one at a time was one of my biggest fears heading into this sequel trilogy. I never understood the notion the because characters are too old or in order for them to "pass the torch" they have to die. Seems lazy and an uncreative way for them to give an end to there arc.

No one said Ian Mckellen was too old for Gandalf and he's allowed to do crazy stuff and look like a badass. But to some if it's mark hamill jumping around with a lightsaber it would look ridiculous. Get out of here. Old people are cool. We all get old there's nothing wrong with it.

Me personally and I know it was never going to happen but I would have been more happy if the sequel trilogy still had Luke, Han, and Leia as THE MAIN characters. IX should have been the true passing of the torch IMO.

4. Jamtia

Apr 5, 2016
    Feels like we could have used a trilogy before this one after the OT. Maybe we were better off without them but it’s interesting to think what could have been.

And as far as old people using lightsabers? Palps in Episode 3 was awesome.

cut-of-space likes this.
  5. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    It doesn't bother me that they had to go, even the way they went so far is more or less acceptable (fighting against the Darkness), but I cannot accept that this "total failure in every aspect in their life" is the end of their journey. Han went back to a looser smuggler, lost his family and was killed by his only son. Leia failed as a politician, failed as a mother, as a wife and as a warrior. Luke died alone, without friends and family, lost his bright spirit, died with the knowledge that he created an "unredeemable" monster out of his own nephiew, and lost the new Jedi Order.

I do think the characters who have given pure joy for generations of fans deserve more. Much more.

6. Jamtia

Apr 5, 2016
    Yeah. I think the whole retread idea and making the new characters stand out more is the whole issue.

It is believable though, that Han would go back to smuggling to deal with his depression. Reminds me of someone taking up drinking again to deal with their problems. I really don’t think Leia failed as much as it seems. I’m not sure how much she had to do with where the resistance is or how much bigger she was in the republic. For all I know she could have left the republic to join the resistance to fight for the greater good and deal with her son. If it’s explained in the comics and books, I’m sorry I haven’t caught up yet. It’s anorher area in the ST that kind of annoys me, that we have to dive jnto the novels to learn more back story when it could have been explained in five minutes of screen time.

Either way, as soon as Kylo was a Solo, it was downhill for the OT cast. Most of them take the blame, but we still don’t know the influence Snoke had.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    TITLE UPDATE.

Jamtia likes this.
  8. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    Han Solo is a death done well.

Luke Skywalker is a different story with issues that goes beyond his death scene.

9. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
  10. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    Leia is used the best out of the OT characters, mostly because it's hard to screw up Carrie Fisher playing a war general. My one nitpick would be that (in TLJ) I wish everything Holdo did while Leia was sidelined was instead Leia doing it. Even the light-speed sacrifice (though I 100% understand the filmmakers not wanting to "kill" Luke and Leia in the same film).

Luke in this trilogy has worked great for me. Totally understand people put off by it since he's definitely the most changed from his OT-self. Still think Leia was done slightly better, but I'm most impressed with Luke's ST showing considering how risky/complex it was to pull off.

Han was Han. Also hard to screw that up. Like Luke he put the past aside & died a hero, haunting his son forever.

Chewie is fine when he decides to show up. Wish he & Rey had more interaction.

Artoo & 3PO are used sparingly which I prefer over being painfully shoe-horned. Could also use a little more of them but at least they're done well.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Darth Ewok

Darth Ewok Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2016
    It bothers me immensely only because the ST has disrespected so much that came before it. We don’t even know what the first order is exactly and yet this new faction is killing off these heroes that went at the Empire with practically scraps and faith. Han Solo’s death was handled well but Luke’s has ruined all of Star Wars for me. I can never truly enjoy Star Wars again knowing that the greatest hero in cinema history dies a disillusioned coward on a rock. There’s just no way I can invest in this series anymore.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Disillusioned? Hardly. At the moment he dies, he sees clearly what needs to be done for the greater good, and that he is the only one who can do it. Coward? He knows that what he is doing is going to cost him his life, and he goes ahead and does it anyway, laying down his life for the good of his family and friends. And he was at peace with his choices in the end. We should all be so lucky to pass as he did.

13. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Yes and No.

They were my childhood heroes, so I don't want to see them die, despite it being a part of life. however, seeing them again on screen, despite not all together, was like reuniting with old friends. Han wasn't the one that got to me, it was Leia in the force awakens. I tearwd up seeing her onscreen again after so many years.

Seeing these characters allows me to say goodbye, even if it is in a manner of sadness.

BloodStripe, cerealbox and Sarge like this.
  14. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    ... And then in the end Rey turns Kylo and they make sweet love by the fire.

15. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Back in whatever year it was, the OT three all agreed to reprise their roles for the Sequel Trilogy.
    Mark and Carrie’s signatures being the most important imo. But hey, Disney badly wanted Han Solo too for their retro dive into Star Wars etc etc..whatever.

Anyway, so. Harrison gets a final victory lap for Han, and the death he always wanted for the character since ESB (which I’ve always agreed with btw)...But at what cost for THIS story?
    Well, at the cost of Luke being in the first episode actually, as JJ Abrams alluded to.
    You can’t have two mentors for Rey etc
    TFA was to be the swan song of Han Solo. Slain by the hands of his estranged son..(a scene that was well done, admittedly)..

So Luke’s time to truly step back into the spotlight became Episode VIII.
    And imo RJ wrote it brilliantly. MH portrayed it brilliantly. It really was the only direction for Luke
    given what we learnt of him in TFA imo. And it was realised on screen brilliantly.
    As for Luke’s passing? I’m good with it.
    It was dramatic, heroic, poignant..his arc through the film made sense.
    I will add though, that I think he would’ve survived into IX if Snoke had.

RIP Carrie Fisher

16. Darth Ewok

Nov 27, 2016
    Yes Disillusioned. Because Luke in the 30 years since Yoda dies is still none the wiser than he was at 23 and still needs Yoda to give him life lessons he experienced years ago. The random Mary Sue girl is willing to risk her life to go save the very thing Luke tried to protect. He was asked NUMEROUS times to come save his family as to which he refuses. He only then comes to save the day, not as a physical imposing threat but as a mirage to buy time to escape. Snoke has corrupted Kylo, Luke never bothers to find him and take him down for what he did. Kylo terrorizes the galaxy with the skills of a Jedi that Luke taught him, yet Luke never decides to clean up that mess. If Luke Skywalker was himself, there would be no need for this ST. The irony.

jediela83 likes this.
  17. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    No, for a few reasons.

This is a series which in real life is spanning 40 years.

With the exception of Dr. Who and the Star Trek series, that's unprecedented in live action.

And just like the doctor keeps getting revived and OT Star Trek characters die off, so too will Star Wars characters.

If the PT actually was created before the OT. Then we would be seeing old PT die across the OT trilogy: Kenobi, Yoda, Anakin, Palpatine.
    So this trend continues with the ST.

If the old EU were still around, we would be up to 50 ABY, where the characters would be starting to die of old age anyway.

18. Darth Ewok

Nov 27, 2016
    Greatest case of Stockholm Syndrome in cinema history

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The truths that you cling to depend greatly on a certain point of view.

20. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    We'll get Force Ghost Luke in IX. So while it is the end of his adventures, we'll still get to see him again, unlike Han.

And for obvious reasons beyond our control, Leia.

Classified8 likes this.
  21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't oppose killing them off in theory, but the manner the ST used them didn't appeal to me.

22. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Treatment? Yes. The idea that they could die in the ST? No. The problem is it seemed like they died just to make room for the ST characters, mainly Rey who isn't a Skywalker.

23. Darth Ewok

Nov 27, 2016
    My only point of view are the character traits of Luke Skywalker that came before this film. Luke wanted to help his friends and family and was willing to risk his life numerous times before he even knew what the Jedi were. Color me baffled if his core values are now intrinsically tied to a defunct cult that died out minutes before he was even born. The Jedi dying shouldn’t have meant the death of Luke Skywalker’s values.

24. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    Meh.

It seems like the OT characters were used as promotional material to lure in older fans more than anything else which is fine. They are passing the torch onto a new generation. The fact that it seems like they accomplished virtually nothing post RoTJ is more disappointing than their actual send-offs in Episode VII and VIII. Instead of catching up with characters who have grown with age, we are reintroduced to heroes who have regressed and floundered. This would be okay if it was one or two of the original cast, but Luke Leia and Han have all fallen on hard times and have essentially sat idly by as a new military superpower has emerged under their noses. This is made even worse when you consider that the Republic for which they fought is essentially a joke and is easily wiped out to create tension and drama for the ST. In other words, our OT heroes need to be made out as fools to pave way for a new set of heroes to come in and clean up their mess. It's a rather humiliating send off for these once-respected heroes. Ultimately, moving forward from the ST Luke, Leia and Han will be remembered more for their failures than anything else.

25. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Which is fair enough. I mean, correct me if I’m wrong.
    But isn’t Lucas on record as telling (MH Ithink) “Don’t worry, they’ll just write you out if you don’t wanna do it.”..Which I think means LFL had ideas for something fresh to go with.
    But once Mark and Carrie agreed to reprise their roles. It seems Disney went all out to then get Harrison on board. Who had been decidedly unsure for a while we’re led to believe.