main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The OT is gonna get buried under tons of new canon

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by march162015, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    If anything I think that Disney will capitalize on the OT. We're already getting a tv-series which is basically set in the same time, the ST will feature old OT-heroes and Rogue One will be set closer to the OT than the PT as well. Disney knows full well how much characters like Boba Fett, Han Solo and Darth Vader are worth. Some of them might even grow more popular if Disney plays their cards right (thinking of Boba here). The Marvel comics except for the Kanan one is also all about the OT-heroes. We will also get a whole slew of new characters to interact with those we already love.

So right now, as an OT-fan, I could hardly be happier. Sure, rebels is underwhelming, but there is a lot of stuff coming the way of OT-fans in the future.

As for the game, someone mentioned that it isn't really safe against bots, so ... yea.

2. march162015

march162015 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2015
    Don't know why this was moved here, it is not so deep

3. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    I fall I to what I imagine is a weirder group. People who are not old enough to have seen the OT in theaters but grew up with it on Vhs And where still relatively young for the prequels. I'm 30, so growing up I had taped versions of the ot my dad copied off hbo, the I got into the eu, then the special editions were in theaters when I was twelve and thirteen, I was fifteen when tpm came out and in college when revenge of the sith came. I love the OT but Anakin became my favorite character due to the Eu books that came out around revenge of the sith cause I could relate to being a man in my twenties in a relationship that was complicated by external factors(in my case differing religious beliefs, her family were evangelical christians, I am jewish)

Other than Anakin my favorite characters have always been eu, Kyle Katarn, Corran horn,Nomi sunrider etc. cause those are the character I read about or played video games as between my introduction to the original movies as a small child and when the pt camw out whe. I was a teen

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Iron_lord like this.
  4. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

Too much non-CT discussion for the CT forum.

CoolyFett likes this.
  5. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    The bias of this would be that the average age of the starwars.com visitor is far younger than the original generation's.

CoolyFett and Corac like this.
  6. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Rebels found its footing far faster than the Clone Wars did. It took getting to the Pre Vizla/Deathwatch stuff before I was really interested. If in Season 2 they can keep it up, I will be watching as long as it doesn't get as bloated as the Clone Wars did. I'd rather see 3-4 seasons with a tighter plot and then move on to another aspect of the galaxy. But the cartoons don't really have the numbers of people watching that the movies do, so I think the movies are going to bring in more fans.

Will the OT get buried? Not a chance, since to the public that is still Star Wars. Yes you have the fans who grew up on the PT, but many of them grow out of it to good Star Wars once they mature. I know until I developed a sense of film history in my late teens, the SEs didn't bother me, thankfully I took a couple film classes in college and was able to see just how bad the changes were. Same with the Prequels, I watched them out of brand loyalty and realized that I didn't need to make myself love them to like Star Wars.

The ST is going to continue the OT story of good vs evil in the form of the Alliance vs the Empire. New fans are going to see awesome characters like Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia and want to know who they are and where they came from. So they go back to the OT and see those adventures, and hopefully the originals are available so they can see them unbutchered. The PT never entered the public consciousness in the way the OT did. The PT became shorthand for disappointing movies (TPM), bad acting (Portman and Haden) and crap characters (Jar Jar). They made money, but I know of many people who went to see them out of a perceived obligation and to see lightsaber fights.

7. obiwopkenobi62

obiwopkenobi62 Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2015
    I will say this. I'm OT all the way. I was 15 when I saw Star Wars at a drive in theater with my parents and sister. I have many fond memories. But like many have said, Star Wars is moving forward, and to me that's all good. It's more Star Wars. I liked what JJ did with Star Trek and I'm sure I will love what he does with The Force Awakens. After the Prequel trilogy I thought that was it. Now from the Force Awakens we will have 3 new movies in 17 months. That has never happened before and I think it's great. I'm just going with the flow at this point. It's more Star Wars, and that's a great thing as far as I'm concerned.
    Oh I also love that they brought Asoka back in Rebels. One of my favorite characters.

8. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Things changing and evolving is a part of life and the world we live in. When you go get a loaf of bread, there's not just plain white or wheat. There's whole grain, white wheat, bran, 8-grain, gluten free, etc. When you want a Coke, there's also Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Cherry Coke, Vanilla, etc. Movies get sequels... especially the ones that make a lot of money. Other properties also have their own EUs. I would argue that Star Wars is somewhat different because it is a cultural phenomenon unlike most other film properties, but the idea that things evolve and expand still apply. Imagine if Star Wars didn't grow and live on in new mediums and new films... its relevance would remain intact, but the franchise would stale. Those who were there when it first came out would eventually pass on, and there would be a lack of new blood to get excited about it all over again. With the way things currently are, Star Wars can continue to resonate with newer generations and seemingly live on forever.

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't even know what that is supposed to mean but the fact is that if you think it did then it was due to Lucasfilm spent almost 10 years making TCW before Rebels was created. So they kind of knew what they were doing in production terms from the start.

[face_rofl]

It's all Star Wars now and from now on. That is the point. I don't know why you can't accept it. It has nothing to do with "the OT" getting buried. It's simply now one part of Star Wars.

That must have been a poor film class that makes you dislike movies!

Again it's all Star Wars.

The OT was only in part about the Rebels vs Empire. The real story was about a family and in particular about father and son.

Sure then they will want to know who Anakin and Obi-Wan and Yoda were before and how they came to be where they were before that. Totally new fans will see VII first then see the other 6 after.

Sorry but that just won't do at all. Placing the views of the few and pretending to yourself that they are the many isn't going to help anyone when they are faced with a generations of kids from the last 16 years and going forward who won't care about any of this nonsense and will simply be watching the movies for what they are not what they want them to be before they came out.

These are the same people who will be "obligated" to see the new movies and when they find them wanting (which no doubt many of them will) then they will hopefully finally fade away.

Disappointing movies don't become all-time hits. It simply doesn't work like that.

10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    If anything, the PT is getting buried, not the OT, because it seems to be TCW this and Rebels that lately, which seems to be distancing things from the PT. Another thing that is being buried, well at least rendered largely secondary to the films, is the books and comics. Thanks to the Legends business, the books and comics will probably only ever tell side stories now, not blaze new ground and tell stories as meaningful as the films. The Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens isn't really blazing new ground, just point the story in the direction of TFA. My investment in Star Wars practically evaporated overnight thanks to the Legends business.

CoolyFett likes this.
  11. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I don't see how TCW or Rebels would indicate any distancing from the prequels. One exists solely because of the prequels, and the other has plenty of prequel references (Obi-Wan's transmission from the Jedi Temple, the abandoned Republic base, Mustafar in the finale--"Where Jedi go to die").

CoolyFett likes this.
  12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't follow.

TCW IS the PT and that has moved onto Rebels.

Actually the PT is now everywhere in the new books and comics and animation and will be in the movies as well. That is the point. As far as the producers are concerned it's all simply Star Wars now. I-VI and TCW are the base from which everything new will be placed on.

For example any totally new fan who reads the Vader comic or sees him in Rebels is going to connect everything about that character to Anakin/Vader in the movies and TCW.

CoolyFett and Saga Explorer like this.
  13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I hate both TCW and Rebels, so I don't see how they work with the films, especially Ahsoka.

CoolyFett and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The new content is not going to alienate all OT fans. It likewise does NOT matter what a fan likes. Plus, 'it's all SW' does not apply to every fan. SW is whatever the individual chooses to accept. None of it is wrong. It is not an all or nothing gambit for everyone.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Well that being the case I presume you don't watch them and so wouldn't know how they work with the films.

The films are always going to be the main event with everything streaming down from them (even though with advanced planning they already have various things planned for the movies appearing in other media already to set it up for the unified universe).

Some fan can accept something all they want to but that doesn't make it real for anyone but themselves.

They can accept something that is totally false as far as Star Wars goes but that won't help them when the reality is that it isn't that way at all.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The existence of Ahsoka and Maul's survival are enough for me to completely ignore them.

And that is why my investment has practically evaporated, Star Wars has been so much more to me than just the films for a very long time.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't think it will be buried, but I also don't think that a film a year "cinematic universe" under the stewardship of Disney is the best route toward preservation of the OT as the one true core of the series. Of course, there isn't any real reason why the OT should end up that way in the first place. At the end of the day Star Wars was always a fun, somewhat goofy adventure series perhaps most famous for the merchandising blitz that has accompanied it since the beginning. Hardly surprising that moving forward it has the potential to become even more of a blatant "product" attempting to woo a certain demographic first and foremost.

18. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    There is no 'reality' of SW beyond what the individual accepts stating otherwise doesn't make it fact beyond those willing to accept it.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  19. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I think the future of the SW fandom is likely to be similar to that of Star Trek in the sense that there will be more and more ways to be a SW fan and the means of doing so may in some cases be fairly disparate. PT, OT, EU, Saga, games, comics, collecting etc etc. Personally I welcome this as I think it offers the chance for more and more people of all generations to be involved, the opportunity for SW to continue to grow and hopefully a dissolution of the PT v OT thing which has dominated recent years.

jakobitis89 and JoshieHewls like this.
  20. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Alright, usual shtick you and I have. We're both used to this by now, so I'll abridge it

Nothing's inherently good or bad when it comes to cinema, so you can't "grow out of something bad and into something good" due to the fact that it is an opinion

The ST is going to continue the story of the first six episodes. That's why it's called.... you know, Episode VII

"Butchered" is again connoted negatively when it is, again, an opinion

Disappointment is a personal thing. I was rather disappointed when I read The Great Gatsby. Does that mean it's an inherently, undeniably disappointing piece of crap for everyone?

Bad acting? By whose account other than yours? Again, it's a subjective art

Not even going to comment on the "crap characters" thing

I must, however, comment that I applaud your motive and reason for wanting to see the OOT released, but find your aggressive disposition to be rather one-sided

On topic now....
    Classics don't get buried. It's that simple. Logically, was the OT not already "buried" under tons of canon before the EU switch up? I see no chance of it being forgotten

Valairy Scot likes this.
  21. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Which happened under the PT more than anything i've seen under Disney. Star Wars always being "The Tragedy of Darth Vader" being the biggest one.

I hope Star Wars does not take after Star Trek. Outside the Original Series, the franchise became more and more inward looking to a small group of people at the exclusion of the general public, ie it went up its own backside. The Next Gen cast couldn't make a decent movie, save First Contact, and people complained about Picard in it. It took JJ to distill Star Trek down it its essence and give us the characters that actually had an impact on the public.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Wow. Seriously? What makes you think that only kids love the PT? You're really deluding yourself if you think that.

Why? What does it hurt that one existed and one came back to life?

You mean by essence that Abrams essentially turned Trek into "Star Wars" lite so that he would serve as a demo reel for his directing TFA?

23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Here's what really "buried" the OT in the 80's. No movies. Just nothing. Nothing to look forward to or to look at currently but only being able to look back.

Then there was the smaller scale revival through the books and toys in tehe early 90's then it really came back by being attached to new movies which started with the SE's release, the PT and then the DVD releases. Of course the overall focus at that time was the new movies but that is going to be the case.

The prequels had the benefit of having TCW start only a few years after the last movie.

Now nothing is going to be buried with constant movies to look forward to and review and refer back to. For anyone totally new watching VII the whole unified canon is there to promote to them to look back at the first 6 episodes.

The same happened for Doctor Who. The new series gave the original a major revival in speeding up the DVD releases from 6 stories a year to 15-18 so that the entire available catalogue was out by 2014 not 2022. Big Finish that does audioplays with the original actors from TV went from a monthly release to that plus other ranges and box sets. Tom Baker came back and now they have been extended to 2020 making new audio stories.

Disney is going to make their money by making new people want to see all the past, present and future movies and then buy into the publishing and video game tie-ins not to mention of course the hugely successful merch that generates man more billions than the movies do.

There is no other way that makes sense.

24. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    The OT will never be buried because new star wars loves referencing shots, characters, lines of dialogues and such from the original films.

25. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Are you suggesting that any film or series of films which doesn't have ongoing new material being released becomes "buried"? If so, that's a lot of really great, widely acclaimed and beloved movies languishing under large piles of dirt.

lovelikewinter likes this.