main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The OT looks horrible in full screen

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by bobasho, Aug 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phredreeke87

Phredreeke87 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    True, but pan&scan "jumping" is something that's only occasionally used on tv transfers, and only when really necessary. Besides, it does look bad.

Are you saying regular Pan and Scan looks good? ;)
    Anyway, as you mention this, I do remember watching a pan&scan version of El Cid. I recall one scene was jumping between Charleton Heston and Sophia Loren in an obviously static shot. It looked pretty cheesy.

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "in an obviously static shot. It looked pretty cheesy."

It would appear you got the intent of my post. As bad as P&S is, "jumping" actually makes it look worse. It's the dreaded "tennis match" syndrome. [face_laugh]

3. Borges

Borges Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2003
    hey widescreeners, check out what i just bought:
    [image=http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_a7f9e6b3020452ea8ac24e9f18e7987b/i-1.JPG]

mmm, sweet non-special edition widescreen goodness ;) (excuse my gloating!)

4. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    That's not the VHS set. Is that LD? ?[face_plain]

5. Borges

Borges Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2003
    It's VHS. It's a collector's set released some years ago, before the THX editions. Comes with a book and the making of video "From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga." Hooray for ebay.

Behold the glory!
    [image=http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_a7f9e6b3020452ea8ac24e9f18e7987b/i-2.JPG]

6. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Oops! My bad, you're right. [face_blush] It's not the THX set. I've not seen your set for a long time.

Good catch!

7. Phredreeke87

Phredreeke87 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Looks neat... But, the THX versions came (to my knowledge) in 1995, so these are at least 8 years old, wouldn't the signal be very weak after all that time?

Anyway... To be honest, I've never ever seen the original OT, just the SEs.

*ducks to avoid various thrown objects*

8. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    Try lopping off about 30% of the left and right sides of "The Last Supper" painting then zooming in on it.
    That's what full screen is like and I hate it.
    Even worse are video companies STILL releasing movies in fullscreen on DVD,either as the only choice("Hooper") or actually wasting disc space by doing BOTH WS and FS.("Glory").
    This is perfectly needless because practically every DVD player out there has a "zoom" function of some sort for those immature brats who insist on having their TV
    completely full of picture,rather than learning to love those "annoying black bars"..

ah well..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.