The OT Trivia Challenge: Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dark Lady Mara, Apr 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    ratmankey brought a suggestion to me that this forum have an official trivia contest like the TPM forum has with either teams or individuals competing against each other for prizes (most likely VIPship for a fixed amount of time). So, I'm starting this thread to find out how much interest there would be in a contest like this, and how you guys would like it to work. Who should be the host who asks the questions? Should competition be individual or in teams? How should scoring be done?

Let the discussion begin. :)
  2. THE_MISSING_TRIPLET Jedi Padawan

star 4
    You should DLM. I'm interested. Or anyone who feels they have a question should pm you with it and then you can post it
  3. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    Hmm. There's been a suggestion for a Senate contest as well. I can't think of an immediate connection right off the bat, but perhaps there's something here that could be used to create one there. I think I just have to create questions or something, but I don't know what else would go into it.
  4. atomik Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I've never participated in a contest like this b4, but I would be interested.
  5. Master Salty Jedi Knight

star 6
    I'm interested in this. I think it should be individual instead of teams.
  6. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    You should DLM.

Ohhhhhh no! I'm not being the host. Come on, I'll even let the person who does it have colors like strilo does. ;)
  7. JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I'm still pretty new around here, but I'd definitly be interested. As for the competition either way is fine teams or individual...it makes no difference to me.
  8. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Neat idea...I'm interested. And I think it would be cool to have an individual competition. It would make things more interesting. ;)
  9. Qonas Jedi Master

star 4
    I would definitely be interested, but why not both team and individual? Sure that's more questions to think up, but da.
  10. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I think it's a very great idea.

I would hate to be the host though. ;)

11. eclipseSD Jedi Knight

star 5
    I have the big book of Unofficial Star Wars Trivia, if that can be of any assistance.
  12. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I do as well, I have several guides as well. I have some Jedi Master quiz book with 425 questions on ANH and ESB. That could be a slight help. ;)
  13. Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master

star 3
    Currently I am on The Mauls team for TPM trivia. It's been going well. One change that would be better is posting questions every three days instead of five. If that means making the point count higher than seven to win, that's cool too. Five days seems a little too long. But there may be a good reason to have it in five day intervals that I'm just missing at the moment.

I would hope there are teams. It encourages a sense of camaraderie and competition whereas just individuals focuses too much on competition.

Would the trivia contests be broken down into one for each film, or would it be a trilogy contest?

Edit: wrong number of days
  14. DRK_HLMT Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm up for it as well DLM. I was in the Fanforce Trivia contest, but I would like to do this one. If this starts up can I bring my crew over to this one? We seem to do better with the OT stuff. ;)
  15. Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm in.

PS. Make it individuals.
    PPS. Mara should be forced to play and if she answers a question wrong, gets BANNED! ;)
  16. slavegirl Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm not fond of the idea of teams - I'm also in the TPM trivia quiz, and as none of my other team members are interested in taking part now, I've given up, as I don't see the point in spending my time searching for answers and letting them get VIPship for doing nothing.

I'd don't think the answers should be impossibly hard, like they are for the TPM quiz, as I think this takes away from the fun of the quiz. Instead, how about several questions every few days, ranging from easy to fairly hard? And please, let's not give points to the first answer in - it isn't fair on those people who can't be online at that time. :)
  17. TheWombat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Teams are cool, if I can get one one, lol. If not, individual is okay with me too. The last two team trivia challenges I havent been able to get a team together from the Knoxville FF.
  18. Master Salty Jedi Knight

star 6
    I'd be more than happy to run it like the JCC Million Colors Game.

-We can have a sticky thread where people can sign up until we have 15 players. Then that thread can be used to post the questions.

-People will have 2 days to answer the question. They can PM the answer to me. No answers will be taken once the 2 days is up. The time starts as soon as the question is posted.

-Once the 2 days is over the answer along with who got it right will be posted right before the next question is posted.

We'll keep going until only one person is left. If you get the question wrong, you will be banned for 24 hours and eliminated from the game. The last person standing will get VIP-ship and a custom title for 2 weeks. It will be up to Dark Lady Mara to decide what colors can be used, if any at all other than the default red, for the VIP period. The questions will range from easy to hard as the game progresses. I think this will make it fun for everyone, since everyone has a different level of knowledge of the OT.

EDIT: I'd restrict the qustions to just the OT movies. I'd rather not have EU questions or questions from books. I think the movies will do just fine.
  19. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    And please, let's not give points to the first answer in - it isn't fair on those people who can't be online at that time.

I agree completely. As much as I would love to have all the questions go up at what would be a reasonable time for me but an impossible time for that silly Aussie Tay, who I want to see LOSE and get TEMP BANNED, I agree it isn't fair. ;)

Salty, I like that general outline. Alternatively, we could give colors for just one week with the winner being allowed to use whatever combination they want.
  20. Master Salty Jedi Knight

star 6
    I think a week of being able to use whatever color combination is perfect. I'd also like to add that if a person fails to answer a question at all, it will count as a wrong answer and the person will be eliminated from the game.
  21. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Wow, I just noticed the ghosts in the ad spot when one replies to a thread. Very nice.

Anyways, what about people who play a round, and then want to play another round? How long would one have to wait in order to play another round? What would be a fair time for the winner of a previous round to wait before he/she can play again?
  22. Master Salty Jedi Knight

star 6
    As far as I'm concerned, the winner of a game can participate in the next game. If it gets to be a case where there's only one winner after playing 3 or 4 games, then I would impose a limit. There will be at least a week between games. That way everyone is back on even terms when the next game starts.

EDIT: changed round to game
  23. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I like the thought that there would be no limits to how often one can play the game. How long do you think a game should last?

Oh, and I agree that only movie questions should be used. This is the movie forum not to mention it would be kinda unfair for non-EUrs to participate. Though, what about the movie novels, could that be allowed? They are after all pretty much the same as the movies.
  24. dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight

star 5

I say we go with Salty's idea. :)
  25. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I agree. That idea sounds reasonable. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.