main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Other Side Of NCAA Football/Basketball... The College Marching/Pep Band Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    So what are everyone's thoughts on the college bands that play at Football and Basketball games? I'm currently in both. I enjoy it a lot. My favorite is playing at the Basketball games. They just seem more intense at times. Anyone else here in College Athletic Bands at their schools?

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Not in band, since I have no musical talent (though a lot of respect for those who do). Definitely glad we have the band there, though, as an integral part of the student section.

Basketball pep bands tend, IMO, to be far more involved in the game, since that is usually much more voluntary than marching band for football. Hence despite the smaller size, the pep band is more fun to listen to than the marching band, though thats nothing against the marching band at all. But then, there might also just be something in there about the inherent superiority of basketball to football as well... :p

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I, too, have absolutely no musical talent. However, in college I did room with two different guys who did marching band and pep band. One of them loved MB more, and the other loved Pep band more.

Me? I see great value in both, and love them both. They add so much energy to the game. I think pro teams would be wise to add bands and fight songs.

4. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Marching Band is awesome!!!
    (actually technically I'm not in the band, due to some highly embarrassing administration errors, but I'm still with them in spirit!)
    But I was in it 6 years in high school, brass captain my senior year, and I'll be helping with it this summer. My favorite part was basketball or hockey games as well, because there's more music, more excitement, .... and I'm not so much a fan of doing routines. it's all about the music and the game.

5. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    I didn't play in band (I was always in orchestra). The band is one of the most important of the things that make college sports far superior to pro sports. Nothing can give you chill bumps like the band marching into the stadium before a game. My gosh...is it football season yet?

Btw, I'd wager basketball games are more intense based on your location. I guarantee you'd change your tune in Austin. Basketball is fine, whatever. But football is what flows through our blood. ;)

Kudos, all ye band people!

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Btw, I'd wager basketball games are more intense based on your location. I guarantee you'd change your tune in Austin. Basketball is fine, whatever. But football is what flows through our blood.

Not in my case. Football is FAR more popular here than basketball, and I'm one of very very few who like basketball more than football. Football attendance is great, basketball... not so much. More like basketball attendance this year was pitiful.

7. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    The band gets on my nerves at basketball games

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    how so?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.