Before The Other Side - Qui/Obi/OCs: new post 13th Jan

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jemmiah, Jul 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    TITLE: The Other Side
    AUTHOR: Jemmiah
    SET: 6 years or so before TPM
    CHARACTERS: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Jemmiah Gleshan and other OCs/canon characters.
    DESCRIPTION: Attachment may be forbidden in the Jedi order but what lengths will a force-user dare stoop to reclaim the one they care for?
    AUTHORS NOTE: This story forms part of the Jemmiah Chronicles but no prior knowledge is really needed to understand the story. That said, if anyone wishes to read the rest of the JemChron stories they can be found archived at the Hell's Chance Cantina by clicking on the link in my signature.

Before the blackness engulfed him Qui-Gon had sensed the presence of another being not far away from him in the cove?and it hadn't been Obi-signature.

Before the blackness engulfed him Qui-Gon had sensed the presence of another being not far away from him in the cove?and it hadn't been Obi-Wan.

Nor had it been Jemmiah, whom he had last seen hobbling barefoot across the stones in search for interesting shells to make into necklaces. He'd remembered wondering if he should allow her to go so far away or whether he should perhaps follow her to be certain of her safety. And Obi-Wan?he'd swum as gleefully and gracefully as an eel towards the small, distant island with its jagged black rock protruding from the water like an up-stretched arm. For all that it had been an exercise to strengthen the body and focus the mind Qui-Gon had been pleased to see his padawan taking so much delight in the little test. The last thing he remembered was seeing Jemmiah standing on her tiptoes at the edge of a large, slippery rock whilst scanning the sea for any sign of Obi-Wan?and then the sand had rushed up to meet him with a thud that shook his whole body.

Something had hit him. Something had knocked him down with the power of a speeder hitting an insect. He didn't know what it was or how long he had remained unconscious, but slowly he began to test his body to see if any damage had been done. It remained leaden and numb, as if stunned by some unforeseen impact. His mind was hazy at best, but slowly at least some of his mental faculties were beginning to return. Had Obi-Wan sensed the incident through their bond, he wondered groggily? And where was Jemmiah? What if she too had suffered the same immobilisation and was lying somewhere, hurt or unconscious? What if she had fallen in the water and had drowned, unable to pull herself back out?

The thought galvanised Qui-Gon enough so that he opened one eye - and found himself squinting uncertainly up at a short, shadowy figure that split briefly into two; then as the roaring in his ears subsided melded back into a single being once again. Fighting back considerable nausea Qui-Gon was aware that regardless of how many people his double vision told him there might be, he was in reality dealing with one individual?and that person was armed with a gun.

A gun that was aimed straight in his direction.

After a few moments the blurred and indistinct shadow began to develop features. The face was young: far younger than that of Obi-Wan, although possessing a strong and rounded chin. The lips were set into a determined line and the short, stocky build leant him a somewhat robust appearance. But what Qui-Gon found himself focusing on was the eyes: green and angry?frustrated even. Perhaps a touch frightened? He did not need the force to tell him that the individual who had stunned him was more than a little confused. The boy licked his lips nervously for a moment and then looked along the sight of the blaster, aiming the gun once more at Qui-Gon's heart.

Jinn stared back at him. If he'd had the strength he'd have gathered the force and tossed the blaster disdainfully out of the young man's hand. If breathing hadn't seemed so difficult he might have engaged his tormentor in conversation: maybe tried to gain his trust and win him over. Or if his body had obeyed him instead of lying unresponsive like a dead weight he might possibly, in a wors
  2. Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ooo, Jemmiah, sounds like a good story in the making.

What was it that stunned Qui-Gon? Why does the boy want to kill him?
    Enquiring minds want to know.
  3. Noelie Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes... inquiring minds would like to know.

Is the other part of this on the chronicles site?

4. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Wow, this is a very interesting start.
  5. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Squeals!!! A new story?!?

Whoa, what a way to start out! Qui-Gon totally blind sided and downed. Still we've a mystery it seems. If the boy didn't shoot him with the baster then who or what did?

Awwww, I love how Jemmiah raced to him and draped herself over his prone body.

MIght I beg for a PM when you update here? Pleeeeeeease! [face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying]
  6. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    LOVED it! [face_mischief] May I be so bold as to ask for PMs when you update? :p
  7. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Aya-Na_Bashu: Thank you! :D Hope you enjoy it.

Noelie: Hi! :) No, unfortunately it's not available at the Hell's Chance yet. I'm making this up as I go (with only two posts available at present) like I used to back in the old days - so hopefully this one might re-inspire me a little!

Ish: Thanks. :)

Leona: Glad you like it so far. Will PM you as requested when updates are available. [:D]

VaderLVR: Thank you! Again, will PM you with updates. In fact, here's one right now! :D

Qui-Gon struggled to no avail against the invisible bonds that tied him down. He could face his own death if needs be with dignity and equanimity, but to see Jemmiah thus endangered made the hammering of his heart increase to the point where he thought both she and his captor must surely hear it. Unable to help in any way Qui-Gon could only compare himself to a fly struggling against the silken thread of a spider's web: whilst all the time his enemy watched his enfeebled attempts to escape, waiting its moment to strike?

But the spider did not strike. It stood, uncertain of what to do, the blaster slowly and inexorably rising and lowering with each ragged breath. The battle no longer seemed to exist between himself and his youthful protagonist but rather within the boy's own mind: Qui-Gon could see humiliation and guilt, horror and fear warring with one another within the turbulent sea green eyes. The youth's face hardened?the blaster rising one final time?

And then he allowed it to fall hopelessly by his side.

"I can't?I can't do it." His voice was a desperate half-sob. "I'm sorry, master. I can't kill them."

The threat was gone in a heartbeat leaving behind a broken, pitiful child in its wake. He was little older than Jemmiah, Qui-Gon thought wearily, slowly feeling sensation beginning to return to his body. The blaster still dangled impotently from the youth's fingertips but the will to use the weapon had long since dissipated?and frankly Qui-Gon wondered now if he had ever been capable of firing it. There was no hate or malice visible, only abject unhappiness. And still the question remained as to why he had attacked them in the first place when he was quite clearly not a willing party in the affair?

Jemmiah had less forgiveness in her, but then she had seen first hand the devastation that blasters could bring. Qui-Gon didn't have to see the look on her face to know she was boiling over with anger: anger born of relief and distress. He could feel the shaking of her body against his as she slowly raised herself up, not completely trusting their aggressor lest he change his mind and strike.

"Give me the blaster." She held out her hand, her voice trembling. The young man stared disconsolately at the sand between his toes, not able to face her directly. A flush of violent scarlet blazed across his cheeks, and Jemmiah could see that it was not some act to put them off their guard: he was beaten?humiliated. At any moment Jemmiah expected him to run away and bust into tears like a child who'd had his bolo ball stolen from him - and yet he remained rooted to the spot.

He's got nowhere to go. Jemmiah realised, finally allowing a certain amount of sympathy soothe her fury at what had nearly happened to Qui-Gon. He doesn't know what to do?it's like he's waiting for Quiggy to get better and knock him into the middle of next week?
    She raised her chin, forcing her voice to sound commanding and supercilious.

"Throw it away then, if you won't give it to me." Jemmy eyed him coolly.

The boy swallowed, hesitating. He looked down at the blaster in his hand as if it were covered with some unseen gore, and gave an involuntary shudder that Jemmiah managed to catch. Quickly, as if afraid he might somehow change his mind the boy's arm snapped out, causing her to jump backwards. He held the blaster out to her making no attempt to come any closer to either of them. Despite her brave words Jemmiah did not particular/>
  8. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Hmm, this reminds me of the people on Urior and makes me slightly nervous.
  9. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Now that Tuffy and I have finished poinging about the room at discovering this I htink I can make an intelligent reply...

Nope! Still too excited to see this! Plus I've been hanging out with a toy ferret that has the attention span of a gnat. [face_whistling] But I think I have enough sparking upstairs to have a fairly good feeling as to who this boy is.

Or was once Obi and Jemmy get through with him.

PM list? PLEASE add me to it!! [face_praying]
  10. Noelie Jedi Master

star 4
    Little nervous here too.

Who wanted this and what is her story? She sounds frigtening.
  11. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Another post the next day???

To see this brings warm feeling to my heart. Just like old times heh? :D :D

Yay, relief that both Qui-Gona and Jemmy are safe.

He's got nowhere to go. Jemmiah realised, finally allowing a certain amount of sympathy soothe her fury at what had nearly happened to Qui-Gon. He doesn't know what to do?it's like he's waiting for Quiggy to get better and knock him into the middle of next week?

Very observant and compassionate of her to know this.

You've only injured one of the temple's greatest - if not the greatest - Jedi masters!

Awww. [face_love] [face_love]

Oooh!!! I think I know who this is!!!! :D :D
  12. Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm still clueless. But I would like to be PM'd when you update.
  13. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dismay turned rapidly to disbelief and indignation at the way in which he had been caught out. For all that he could harness the power, Dismay turned rapidly to disbelief and indignation at the way in which he had been caught out. For all that he could harness the power of the force the young man had not sensed for a moment that he had been under observation, nor had he been aware of Obi-Wan's presence as the padawan had stalked him from behind. There had been nothing - not so much as a flicker - in the girl's gaze to give away that something was amiss and now the boy began to realise precisely how out of his depth he was.

"W-where did you come from?" Stammered the youth, his stare alternating between the figure of the apprentice and the chestnut haired girl.

"It's hardly important." Obi-Wan found his eyes straying over to Qui-Gon, his mouth quirking into an annoyed pout. "Let us just say that I have been watching you ever since you first appeared. The moment you had attempted to shoot my master and you would have found yourself standing on your head, up to your neck in sand." He paused, adding with a certain wickedness, "And the moment you'd tried to shoot Jemmy you would have found yourself sliced, diced and feeding the fish in the sea."

Stoutly the boy puffed out his chest. "Don't you know it's wrong to use the force for evil purposes?" He replied, quoting Jemmiah directly. He was pleased to see that this response had elicited a smile from the Corellian girl, but the padawan did not seem so easy to placate.

"I think that it is highly ironic that you are asking that of me." Obi-Wan answered stiffly. "You may be able to use the force but you are certainly not adept in all the Jedi arts. Do you not know how to shield your presence? You stuck out like a beacon in the night!"

Again the surly expression threatened to creep back on the boy's face and this time Obi-Wan decided to keep his criticisms to himself. He walked over to Qui-Gon and knelt down beside him, checking the pulse in his neck, then moving a finger back and forth to see if his master's eyes would follow. Satisfied that the Jedi was in relatively good shape Obi-Wan turned back to face the youth and stared at him, deciding what was best to be done.

"You can help me carry my master back to our ship." He said finally. "I think that is the least you can do to help. I am sure he will recover quicker there - out of harms way."

The words remained unspoken but the boy caught the hidden meaning: away from his master?on their own territory, so if he should try another attack they would have the advantage. A surety against any hostile action that might be taken against them. Whilst he couldn't bring himself to blame them for their distrust he wasn't certain he cared for the way that the balance of power had shifted away from him so rapidly. But he said nothing, merely walking over towards the broad figure of Qui-Gon Jinn with Obi-Wan's ever-present gaze falling squarely upon his shoulders.

Even with the force to aid them, trying to wrestle Qui-Gon into a position where they could slip their arms around his shoulders and drag him to his feet was almost impossible. The boy was not particularly tall and Obi-Wan at nineteen years of age had not yet finished his growth spurt. Qui-Gon was as substantial and well-built as a two hundred year tree. With red faces both Obi-Wan and the youth began to struggle to pull the master along beside them whilst Jemmiah, her concerns for her beloved Quiggy put to one side, found herself enjoying the sight of their exertions.

"Where's this?ship?of yours?" The young man asked, finding it easier to address Obi-Wan as an equal now that they were suffering in the same way. "How?far?"

Obi-Wan released a deep breath. "Over two miles away."

The boy groaned but realised that as the whole thing was his fault he really didn't have grounds for complaint.

"I just hope?I don't?drop him." He gasped, beads of sweat beginning to build upon his brow.

"Don't you dare." Qui-Gon managed to grumble throug
  14. Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Knight

star 2
    I had forgotten about Mortimer. No wonder I was clueless.

[face_laugh]First true exposure to a human female and she's a Corellian. [face_laugh] Poor Mortimer. [face_laugh]
  15. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I like how Obi-Wan stands up to this boy.

"My name is Mortimer." He offered shyly.

I knew it!!! Yippee!!

It's wonderful to see Obi-Wans thoughts. Shows how observant and compassionate he can be.

Poor boy. Obi-Wan noted sympathetically. His first and last contact with a pretty girl and it happens to be a Corellian. He won't know what to think?

Actually, he probably had quite a good idea of what to think. Just so long as Qui-Gon didn't catch him thinking it?

He'd better be careful with those thought. :D :D

Fabulous post!
  16. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    "My name is Mortimer." He offered shyly. Yea! My brain is still working! [face_dancing]

He pictured his master's features, young yet hardened, her disappointment turning to loathing and disgust. The sad thing is I can just picture her looking like that. Not a very master like thing to do.

As for Obi-Wan... He better be glad Qui-Gon doesn't know what he's thinking. Yet... ;)
  17. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    ACK! :eek: I missed a post! But at least I got to read TWO at one time! I love your OCs, but that doesn't surprise me in the least! ;)

Mortimer's eyes were frequently seen to stray towards the gregarious, excitable figure of Jemmiah but that was understandable. She was lively where the Jedi might - at first glance - seem dull. Her smile, which came readily, brightened the blackest of moods. And of course, Obi-Wan remembered with a wry smirk, she was female - and from what he gathered Mortimer had never met one of those, his master apart. Small wonder if the boy was having difficulty concentrating on hauling his master's carcass towards the ship.

Poor boy. Obi-Wan noted sympathetically. His first and last contact with a pretty girl and it happens to be a Corellian. He won't know what to think?

Actually, he probably had quite a good idea of what to think. Just so long as Qui-Gon didn't catch him thinking it?

[face_laugh] at Obi-Wan!

[face_laugh]
  18. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Aha, I knew it! Awesome.
  19. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Obi-Wan paused long enough to rub at his aching back. He was beginning to understand why Qui-Gon insisted on these strengthening exercises: obviously he has foreseen occasions when carrying comatose Jedi masters around might well arise and had taken steps to prepare accordingly. Probably after the once yearly 'dangerous missions' that he, Masters Berlingside and Windu liked to undertake. Dangerous? Obi-Wan snorted contemptuously. The most dangerous thing was likely to be the stress of navigating their way from one cantina to another. Either that or avoiding the stampeding feet of Mace as he ran to escape opening his pocket book?

"Mortimer, help me carry him to his cabin." Obi-Wan sighed, wiping the sweat from his forehead. "Then you can have your chance to impress us with your healing talents."

But Jemmiah was far from happy. She stood blocking the exit, deliberately barring the way. She'd felt sorry for Mortimer, it was true, but he was a stranger amongst them! If anyone should be allowed to tend her beloved Quiggy then it should surely be herself?

"I want to help!" She pouted, hands on hips.

"You can," agreed Obi-Wan, "by standing aside."

"But?"

"Can you heal him?" He cut the protestations off before Jemmiah could launch into an impassioned plea about the delicacies of medical matters needing a woman's touch.

"No?"

"Can you use the force?"

"Well, no?it's just that?"

"Good." Obi-Wan and Mortimer grabbed hold of Qui-Gon again, who just about had the strength to roll his eyes. "That settles it then."

Jemmiah jumped aside in order to avoid being carried away by the on-coming tide of human traffic but had the wits to fry Obi-Wan with a ferocious glare as he swept past with Qui-Gon tucked under his arm. Mortimer shrugged apologetically with his one free shoulder, not knowing what else to do. Family disputes were not really within his level of understanding, and the relationship between the Corellian and the padawan was perplexing at best.

As if to assuage her fears Obi-Wan called over his shoulder, "Do not worry. Everything is under control," and then disappeared out of sight.

Jemmy rested her head against the wall, crossed one foot casually over the other and then counted to ten.

After a vague shuffling noise in the corridor accompanied by the sound of something heavy being dragged along the ground Obi-Wan and Mortimer briefly reappeared, still lugging the now protesting Qui-Gon in the opposite direction to which they had originally gone. Jemmy flashed a victorious grin at Obi-Wan.

"The cabins are that way, Ben." She pointed, shooting him an insolent wink. "But hey, you won't need me to tell you that, coz you've got everything under control?"

Obi-Wan thinned his lips, lowered his head with renewed determination and marched away, not caring whether Qui-Gon and Mortimer followed or not, or if his master's arms were pulled out of their sockets in the process.

When Obi-Wan returned it was to face a pointed and stony silence. Jemmiah sat in the recreation room with a jewel encrusted compact in her hand, making the most of Qui-Gon's absence by applying a stronger shade of gloss to her lips than he would normally have approved of. It was a sure sign that she was truly annoyed, Obi-Wan thought with a shake of his head, when she re-applied lipstick that did not need touching up. Some people sought solace in alcohol: others in food. With Jemmiah it was invariably make-up or clothes. Most often both, if her uncle's budget would stretch to it. Which, given the sparkling compact, seemed more than likely.

He'd been harsh with her - teased her as he always did - but he'd pushed his luck too far on this occasion. Her back was turned to him and it stayed deliberately so even when he politely 'coughed' to make his presence known.

"Ahem." He coughed a little more loudly this time. "Something tells me I'm not your favourite person at the moment, is that correct?"

"Why are you asking me?" Jemmy growled without even turning to face him. "I don't have />
  20. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I knew Jemmiah would be unhappy and take Obi-Wan's words the wrong way.

Force sensitive or not, Jem' very keen on her insight to Mortimer's master self exile and trying to hide.

It must be so easy to sit there and make judgements with all the temple's rules and regulations at your disposal, or with Master Yoda's words of wisdom to keep you on the straight path. To one who had suffered and understood self-destruction Jemmiah often found the Jedi view a very narrow one indeed.

Very keen indeed.

Superb post! :D
  21. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    You'd think Obi-Wan would learn not to cut Jemmy off when she's trying to tell him something. It always seems to come back around and bite him in the end. :p

If her problem lay with not having Obi-Wan's force-related insight, then his invariably stemmed from not being able to look at the galaxy in any way except from a Jedi's point of view. It must be so easy to sit there and make judgements with all the temple's rules and regulations at your disposal, or with Master Yoda's words of wisdom to keep you on the straight path. To one who had suffered and understood self-destruction Jemmiah often found the Jedi view a very narrow one indeed.

That's one thing that really bothers me about the Jedi. They're supposed to be connected to the Force and so wise and understanding, yet for some reason they never sit and really listen to another person's point of view. They always seem to have some rule of explaining things back to their way of thinking.

*sigh* Maybe if they had...
  22. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Obi-Wan had better rethink his thinking. :p

"She's damaged, Ben. These kind of people never seek help on their own. It's easier to suffer alone - and lash out at the world. Even the people you love best."

Obi-Wan nodded. "Then perhaps she's beyond assistance."

He didn't notice the disappointment in Jemmiah's eyes. She pulled her legs up towards her on the seat, hugging her knees to her. If her problem lay with not having Obi-Wan's force-related insight, then his invariably stemmed from not being able to look at the galaxy in any way except from a Jedi's point of view. It must be so easy to sit there and make judgements with all the temple's rules and regulations at your disposal, or with Master Yoda's words of wisdom to keep you on the straight path. To one who had suffered and understood self-destruction Jemmiah often found the Jedi view a very narrow one indeed.

"Yes." She said, turning her head away once again. "You're probably right."

Gets better and better with every post! And that's saying a lot! =D=

Truly enjoying this story. :D
  23. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thank you for all your replies! You guys are great! [:D]

Even having accumulated half a century of wisdom and experience it never ceased to surprise Qui-Gon how quickly things could take an unexpected turn.

It had been one of the few times since Jemmiah had come to live with them some four years before that they'd vacationed together. Not that Jedi had proper vacations, although it certainly seemed more of a holiday with Jemmiah in tow than the routine he'd planned for his padawan. It had been an officially sanctioned window in their busy schedule to allow Obi-Wan - and himself also - to try out certain training scenarios under strict conditions. For Jemmiah it would be the first time she had travelled anywhere with him since the unfortunate business with Riarda and his father. Her agreement to accompany him on that occasion had been reluctant, and given that she'd been forced to watch two grown men fight to the death over her he was frankly astonished that she'd consider journeying with him again?

He'd wondered how much that incident still played on her mind. No matter how he'd tried to get her to talk about it she would simply dismiss it just as she might any of her problems. It was past history, she would say - and perhaps she was right. After all, wasn't he the one who set so much store by living in the moment? To him the time shared with Jemmiah was every bit as important as that spent with Obi-Wan, for it allowed him the chance to understand her better. She was changing so much of late, blossoming before his eyes into a determined, beautiful creature. Somewhere along the line the little girl he'd rescued had grown up?and he had missed it. This had been a great opportunity to re-establish that bond of trust and love and it had all gone according to plan - until Mortimer had burst in on them. If she had been hurt?he would not have forgiven himself.

Or her.

He shook the thought from his mind. Recriminations could wait: instead Qui-Gon decided to use the current situation to his advantage. Whilst he was lying helpless on the fold down bunk he might at least be able to make some progress where Mortimer was concerned. It wasn't as if the boy could run away when he was in the middle of a healing session...

"Tell me, Mortimer." Jinn adopted a pleasant manner, allowing a certain degree of curiosity to penetrate his words. "You've lived on this planet for how long?"

Mortimer squirmed visibly. No doubt he had anticipated the line of questioning and was trying unsuccessfully to think of a way to get out of answering anything that proved too searching.

"Fourteen years, sir. At least I think so: I've never really been too certain of the precise time. But for as long as I can remember." He placed his hands either side of Qui-Gon's head but did not allow his palms direct contact with the master's skin. "This planet is all I know."

Qui-Gon digested that slowly. "Were you born here?" He asked finally, sensing once more the flicker of discomfort that flared as a result of his question.

"I don't think so." Mortimer closed his eyes, trying to focus on his task. "My master never told me about the circumstances in which we came to be together. All I know is that she is the first face I remember?and just about the only one since. She's always been with me?she devotes herself to my training. Sometimes I think she's too involved, if it's permitted for me to offer criticism of a master?" He squinted at Qui-Gon through a half-open eye, relaxing fractionally on seeing Qui-Gon's smile. "I wasn't sure if such a reproach was allowed. The temple sounds so interesting?but my master never seems to want to discuss it unless to criticise. If I ask her about the rules and the way of life on Coruscant she just laughs and says that on this planet we can make up whatever rules we want." He swallowed nervously; aware he was dealing with an illustrious Jedi master. "It never feels right, somehow?laughing at the temple. It don't thinks she has much love for the place."

Jinn felt the glow o/>
  24. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I can't wait to see Freyya again. Poor Mortimer has so much to take in.
  25. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    I actually feel a bit sorry for Mortimer. Just from the way he's thought about what Freyya's reaction will be to what he's doing tells me that no matter how he tries to explain things she is not going to be happy about it.

I do wonder what Qui-Gon's reaction will be when (or if) he recognizes her name. :eek:

You're spoiling us Jem! Thanks! [:D]
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.