The Over-Rated Players Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPoppy Force Ghost

star 4
    Here it is. As the name implies, nominate your choices for most over-rated. They can be contemporary or historical. I'll start:

NFL, current:
    Eli Manning
    Jeremy Shockey

NFL, past:
    Steve Young

MLB, current:
    Alex Rodriguez
    Pedro Martinez

NBA, current:
    Stefan Marbury

NBA, past:
    Dennis Rodman
  2. Saruman-the-White Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, this generation's Sandy Koufax is so overrated. Take a look at Pedro's numbers in the late 90s again before putting him on there.
  3. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Dennis Rodman? Overrated? He's arguably the best rebounder of all time... 6'7" grabbing 18+ rebounds a game...

Anyway, Tom Brady has to be the most overrated QB in the NFL right now. He's been a starter for 6 years now and people are already putting him in the top 5 of all time because of his team's achievements...

I have no doubt in my mind that he will be a top 5 QB of all time, but not yet. If he retired today, he'll have had a nice little 6 year career, but that doesn't break you into the top 5. Not when there are guys who have put up better numbers for 10-15 years. He'll get their eventually, but wait a few years before putting him up there in the GOAT talks...

EDIT: agreed with Saro's Pedro comment as well
  4. DarthPoppy Force Ghost

star 4
    I put Pedro Martinez on the over-rated list not because of his stuff (which, along with Fernando Valenzuela is the best I have ever seen), but rather with his big game performances, chiefly vs. the Yankees over the years. A great pitcher doesn't start giving up the long ball just because it is October.

As for Rodman, he had all those rebounds when he played for the Bulls and both Jordan and Pippen were constantly being double teamed. Easy for a decent player to crash the boards in this situation. Remember is performance with the Lakers?
  5. Saruman-the-White Jedi Master

star 4
    What about Pedro's performance against the Indians in 1999? You can't let 2003 cloud your judgment, as other Hall of Famers like Randy Johnson have had worse playoff experiences (ironically, Johnson's only good moments came against the Yankees :p ).
  6. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    What about when he averaged 18+ rebounds a game in his last two seasons with detroit?

or averaging 17 rebounds a game in his two seasons with the spurs?

15 rebounds a game with the bulls?

14 rebounds a game in his last season with dallas?

oh, and the Lakers? he only played 23 games, played less then 30 minutes a game and still averaged 11 rebounds a game...
  7. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Brady Quinn

he's got bust written all over him ... I think he's 99x more likely to be Ryan Leaf than ... well ... even a decent starter
  8. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I'll wait before I pass judgment on Brady Quinn, I think he's actually got the skills to be a better NFL QB than college, but it all depends on where he goes, and who his coach/OC turns out to be.

I don't see how anyone could possibly say Steve Young was overrated, as well.

As for most overrated, it has to be Ben Roethlisberger, easily. The product of a system in which his running game was so feared that opposing secondaries were stretched thin. However, when he has to make the throws, he rarely does. His Super Bowl performance was awful, but nobody will remember that Willie Parker and that defense bailed his ass out.
  9. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Juan Roman Riquelme

Guiseppe Rossi

Jermain Defoe

Luis Boa Morte
  10. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Am I sick of the Roethlisberger is overrated arguments.

Wanna tell me what the Steelers did the year before Roethlisberger got there?

How about how they were doing his rookie year before he started? (Hint, they were getting their rears handed to them by Baltimore when he came in for the injured Maddox).

Wanna tell me how they beat the Colts and the Broncos in the playoffs? Through the air, thats how. And, oh yeah, that was the season after Ben's biggest and favorite target left through free agency.

He's not overrated. Not when just about every talking head still refers to him as a mere "game manager".
  11. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I don't know, are you? :p

Tommy Maddox lost games (at the end of his starting time, he was good at one point), Ben doesn't lose games (often, although he has on a few occasions this year, *cough* Oakland). I just haven't seen many examples of him winning them--aside from that game in Denver last year, you do have a good point with that, he had an excellent game in a very tough environment.

Perhaps Ben is still recovering from his offseason problems, I don't like to make excuses for NFL players, but I guess I'm too hard on him. The difference from Ben to Batch this year has actually favored Batch, so that either means they have an exceptionally talented guy riding the pine, or the Steelers' performances are going to hinge on their playmakers and linemen, not their quarterback.

Get him healthy next year, and we'll truly see what he's made of.
  12. Scondren Jedi Knight

star 3
    Before the season I thought Eli was overrated, but by now(especially after Sunday's performance) people have realized that he is no where near an elite quarterback yet. He's barely a good quarterback.
  13. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    Brett Favre.

He sucks.

His middle name should be interception.

He chokes.

So what...3 MVP's?

200 and some odd consecutive starts?

2nd or 3rd on pretty much any all time stat list?

Yea, those don't mean anything.

I'm over it.

I have watched him kill the Packers too many times.

Actually, I think he's a great quaterback.. I'm just bitter.
  14. Master_Kast7 Jedi Grand Master

star 6

Agreed. I also just noticed it during the ND/USC game. I was thinking, "Wait this guy is going to be a first round draft choice?" I then began lmao.

Tim Duncan. lol @ the debate about this in the NBA thread a few months back. He's the only person I can think of right now off the top of my head. I'm better at naming underrated players.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~
  15. Drew_Atreides Force Ghost

star 5
    Favre is a gunslinger. He takes risks. ALOT of risks. I'm sure it must drive you crazy as a diehard fan of the team, but he was one of those athletes that, even not being a fan of the packers, i would pay to watch. He sure was/is entertaining.

Don't know that i can agree with Dennis Rodman being overrated. The media got a bit carried away COVERING him, but he was still a very solid defensive player in the NBA right up until the end of his career.

A-Rod: man, it must be tough when .290/35HR/121RBIs get you on the overrated list. Yes, he shouldn't be paid more money then GOD. Yes, the NY pressure-cooker seems to get to him. Somehow he still puts up the numbers, though. He's just become a very popular whipping boy in NY. Sometimes i feel sorry for him.

16. Django211 Force Ghost

star 4
    Anyone that says Dennis Rodman was overrated never saw him play with Detroit. As a member of the Bad Boys he had an all around game. He was a terrific defender & rebounder but also could provide offense. Come playoff time he was particularly good with clutch shots. He used to kill the Bulls before their championship run. It wasn't until he left Detroit that he became a one dimension player.
  17. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    Both Manning brothers (and I will keep saying that until Peyton stops choking in the Playoffs)
  18. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Glad you agree with me on Quinn, Kast. Mark my words, any team that takes him will use another first round draft pick on a quarterback in the next five years.

Here are a couple of current NBA players that make my list

Tracy McGrady
    Kevin Garnett
    Vince Carter
  19. Master_Kast7 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Now those I do not agree with. Maybe McGrady but not Garnett and Carter.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~
  20. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    I go back and forth on trying to determine if Garnett is overrated. Some days I agree with myself, some days I don't. But McGrady and Carter ... overrated.
  21. DurronFan Force Ghost

star 4
    Yup. Agreed. I'd also add Steve Francis and Kenyon Martin to overrated NBA-players.

In the NHL I'd say Sergei Federov, Janne Niinimaa, Niko Kapanen, Jeremy Roenick and Derian Hatcher.
  22. Master_Kast7 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Disagree with those too. Francis is a great shooter and scorer. Martin is a beast when he's healthy.

23. NorCalBirdz Jedi Master

star 4
    Probably the most overrated player in NFL history has to be Kurt Warner in his Rams years. So all of a sudden a guy who couldn't even make a team as a clipboard holder for several years becomes one of the all-time greats. Sure And then gee, what a coincidence, another unknown, Marc Bulger comes in in 2003 and puts up nearly identical numbers. I'm so glad Warner got exposed as the fraud he was before he started garnering HOF talk.

Brett Favre has been a liability in every playoff game he's started since 2001, period.

24. MasterP Force Ghost

star 7
    NFL:
    Terrel Owens
    Tom Brady

MLB:
    A-Rod
    Derek Jeter
    Manny Ramirez
    David Ortiz
    Albert Pujols
  25. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    Someone with the knick name "Franchise" should be a lot better than he is. He's a good side kick, but not a number one option, at all. But he's too selfish to share the rock. Look at the magic after he left- they went on a tear and nearly clawed into the playoffs, and they basically traded him away for cap room, not player- Ariza(I think?) did nearly nothing, and Penny was just there as an expiring contract.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.