main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

the over-used alien thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by fanboyskywalker, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    What aliens are you tired of seeing?

What species do the the SW writers in the EU tend to rely on over and over?

Here's my picks:

Twi'lik.
    Nikto.
    Weequay.

Feel free to add your own.

2. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Rodians ad bothans are big ones too.

Need a scumbag? He's a rodian.

Need a sneaky one? He's a bothan.

Not complaining though, I'd LOVE to see a bothan in the show.

3. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    Hutts and Weequays.

I want too see an Ankura Gungan crime lord.

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Whatever aliens Ahsoka and Shaak Ti are.

They roughly fall, IMHO, in the Twi'lek category. [face_frustrated]

Also, a wide variety of blue-skinned aliens.

Under-used? Aliens that can't speak Basic and we have to read the subtitles.

5. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    wait, in the show or written in the EU? In the show it's only really Weequays. They don't have models for anything else and Twi'leks have been rare so far :p

unless you count "blue ones" ;)

6. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    I do count blue ones. It seems that when they do use Twi'liks it's always blue ones these days. I hope the only blue one we see again is Aayla. I remember thinking how cool it was that Twi'liks came in different skin tones than grey now I long to see a grey one again.

Hopefully on Ryloth we get a whole spectrum of colors, green, black, brown, yellow, orange, red... and then never see one again for a while (save Aayla and her wicked awesome lightsaber moves).

I agree with Garth on the Shaak Ti/Ahsoka species. Togruta is the name of their race and they are being used like crazy in the EU right now. And always a female version!! Come on, EU, branch out.

I would say Bothans aren't because we haven't seen them in the show yet, which I am hopeful we will.

I don't want to see another wee-quay again. They are the most boring looking aliens ever.

If you notice with the prequels we got a lot of aliens with head-tails. There was nothing that special about them, just head tails. The togruta look almost identical to the Twi'liks, and we have an abundance of both races. I want diversity in my SW!

7. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I remember thinking Bib Fortuna was so unique-looking. :p

8. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Yeah, why do you think I called myself TwiLekJedi? [face_laugh]

9. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Dude, it's a kids' show. Even the opening crawls are spoken now. Given the low value placed on reading and education in American culture it's a miracle if they even CAN read the silly fortune cookies at the beginning, much less important dialogue.

10. brainwash

brainwash Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2009
    I love it when aliens / droids break established stereotypes about them, and wouldn't mind more of it. Like the Quarran dude on Iego or bounty hunter / assassin protocol droids (C-3PX / 4-LOM).

Let's have a noble Nemoidian!

11. QueenMother_LK

QueenMother_LK Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2009
    gungans.
    and mainly ones whose names starts with "jar" and, well, ends in "jar". :p

12. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    You know what's weird? Even the fortune cookies are read in the German version... even though the writing is translated. Hell, they even say "Star Wars The Clone Wars" every time!

Yeah, I do not watch TCW on German TV...

13. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Kel Dors! Eh, no, wait, they're not overused...not yet at least...XD

Surprisingly, despite their prominence as a species there from the start, the Duro receive surprisingly little attention as the spacefaring explorers they are.

I agree that Togrutas have suddenly gotten a TREEEEEMENDOUS spike in popularity somehow.

Falleens (Prince Xizor) also feature prominently in the Clone Wars comics (both new and old), though they at least explain that Falleen are seldom seen off-planet.

Also, we should have an Ithorian business tycoon who mercilessly saps planets of their natural resources in the name of making a quick buck. :D

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Wait, Togrutas (Ahsoka/Shaak Ti) are overused? Those are the only two examples I can think of in all of SW... though haven't read all the comics, and I could certainly be forgetting some. Like there was one in the KotOR comics I just remembered. Raana Tey, I think. Still, they're nowhere NEAR as common as Twi'leks or any of a number of other species.

15. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Yeah.

There are only 6-9 named Togrutas in existence so far, not enough to be overexposed.

Also, Rutian Twi'Leks. For a certain race of Twi'Leks that are supposed to be rare, we are seeing quite a lot of them.

16. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Huh... I don't think any alien species are especially "overused". I think of it as kind of a reflection of the "demographics" of the GFFA, or wherever we happen to be in it for each adventure. Some species are just plain more numerous than others.

One thing that TCW is good at (and I think they go out of their way to do it) is casting the aliens against those stereotypes... King Katunka, Onocanda, Gha Nahkt, the Quarren from 1000 Moons, all new or at least rare spins on their species, and I guess we'll end up seeing all different types of Twi'Leks in the next few weeks.

17. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    when all else fails, lower your standards? ;)

18. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Humans! I tired of seeing all those same humans every week!:p

19. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Hehehe, timely conversation. I just looked at the Old Republic webcomic that's just been published:
    http://swtor.com/media/webcomic/act1?page=1
    ...and apart from background aliens, what do we get? A Rutian Twi'lek and a Togruta! Hehehe.

20. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Yeah, but they get prominent exposure which makes them over-used.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You can never have enough Chagrians.

22. KotORBF2Female_Revan

KotORBF2Female_Revan Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 21, 2009
    There are too many:

Twi'leks. I don't mind Aayla, but Twi'leks are overused. Unluckily, there will be a lot of blue Twi'leks in Ryloth trilogy. If you saw the Preview thing you'd see that.

Weequays. When you need a background thug guy, it's probably a Weequay. Or at least it seems that way in KotOR...

There aren't enough:

Trandos. Yes, I know everyone hates them (including me), but when Trandos appear, it usually means one thing:

CLONE COMMANDOS!!!!!

Yes, I am an obsessed fangirl when it comes to the Delta Squad...

23. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Uh, what is the relation between Trandoshans and Clone Commandos?

24. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Delta Squad, led by RC-1138 or 'Boss', went on many missions for the Republic in their very own videogame, including to Kashyyyk. As a result, they have faced Geonosians, B1s, B2s, and even Trandoshans. Owing to the exposure of Clone Commandos in literature and in videogames (as awesome as they are:p), they have carried on the legacy of their progenitors Jango and Boba Fett, not only through their military expertise and resourcefulness, but also by producing an ardent fanbase who follow both the game and the novel. Most who play the game or at least know about it might recognise the Trandoshans fought at some point or other. :D

Personally, I'd associate Trandoshans with Wookiees, but it's not on-screen as much. On the topic of beings who have stomped Trandoshans, though, they include...
    -Han Solo (beat up Bossk for dissing Chewie)
    -Boba Fett (owns Bossk for most of his career)
    -Grievous (owned Gha Nackt)
    -Wookiees (for freedom, and just to break some heads)
    -Jedi leaders working to free Wookiees
    -And of course, Clone Commandos

Trandoshans aren't bad, though I'm not into their sense of fashion. I think Gha Nackt gave them a bad name, and any infamy is from the fact that they enslave Wookiees and are generally one of the meaner species out there. Plo Koon's padawan was a Trandoshan, though. Maybe she could make an appearance. Only, y'know, leaner and with a more symmetrical face. [face_laugh]

You know who else isn't exposed enough? The Arcona! The OTHER hammerhead of Star Wars there since the cantina scene. Their salt-addiction could be a possible plot element. XD

I mean, even the Bith are almost synonymous with 'musician'!

25. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    "What species do the the SW writers in the EU tend to rely on over and over?"

Humans, no doubt,
    they re-appear over and over again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.