main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The overbreeding plot bunnies

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SilSolo, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I'd like to sorta poll the authors here...
    1. When you write some of your longer fics, how do you deal with your bunnies constantly breeding subplot bunnies?

2. How many files on your computer are devoted to your fics (that includes bios of OC's that you put on your website and fic-related fanart)?

3. How many MSWord (single space, 12pt font) pages do your fics (only the ones you have up on a website) take up collectively?

4. How often do you set passwords to your fic-related files because you don't want people getting on your comps and reading/editing/deleting them?

5. What percent of your fics (OF's included) are SW?

Now, the answers for myself just to let ppl know
    1. devote at least 1 file perfic for listing chapters and scenes that pop up
    2. 100something on my laptop+tons that I deleted
    3. let's see... 50-60 pages for Final Battle, 6 for Anakae, 25 for the rest of my SW fics put together, so that's 80-100 pages of fics on these forums and 5-10 pages of Trek stuff
    4. more than half my files
    5. around 90%

2. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    1. When you write some of your longer fics, how do you deal with your bunnies constantly breeding subplot bunnies?

I either work them into the story or I note them for future reference... or start writing right off the bat.

2. How many files on your computer are devoted to your fics (that includes bios of OC's that you put on your website and fic-related fanart)?

Well, I keep individual files for most of my chapters, and then a master file with the whole story. Counting the individual files, and counting the rough drafts, probably around 150. Not counting the individual files or the rough drafts, probably around 40.

3. How many MSWord (single space, 12pt font) pages do your fics (only the ones you have up on a website) take up collectively?

Um... guessing around 500 or more...

4. How often do you set passwords to your fic-related files because you don't want people getting on your comps and reading/editing/deleting them?

Just have one on my computer... that was set particularly because of my writing.

Oh, the vast majority... I'd say maybe 85%.

Jes

3. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Ooh, this looks fun! :)

If I can find a way to work them in with my fic, I do, if not then I beat them into submission until I finish the longer fic.

For fanfics, I have exactly 3 files. One for long fics, one for viggies/short stories (including challanges) and one for songfics.

Hmm, math, how icky. Lucky I only have 3 files! :p Long fics are 101 pages, shorts are 31, songfics are 26. So thats 156 (?) pages.

All the time. Everything has a password.

5. What percent of your fics (OF's included)are SW?

100%!

4. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    This is gonna be interesting, 'cause I'm curious how many others do these same things...

When I write I open a blank document and just start writing. when I think of a scen or subplot that doesn't fit sequentially, I stick it on the end with a bunch of carriage returns between it and the rest of the document. So all my stories have at least six or seven pages of randomness at the end. Sometimes a lot more... One of mine spawned a whole second story, but for hte most part I see where the subplot/extra scene fits into the main storline alter.

well, I have lot's of folders and stuff to tryand keep things organized, but I had to transfer everything to my new computer a while back and it requiredten floppies to move it all. Plus, i have a shoe box (it'a actually a boot box) full of scrap paper and those small legal pads that cover my outlines and character profiles and stuff... so it's actually a lot more... :)

Hmmm, I don't know, but I'd guess about three or four hundred... possibly more. or maybe less. :) see answer to question one.

None, for the most part i'm the only one who uses my computer. The other people who have used it have always been polite enough not to mess with stuff.

I'd say about 90 percent. The rest is randomness that doesn't really qualify as fics. :)

Hey, SilSolo how can you ever bear to delete any of your stuff? I know I'm always pulling up my discards and re-using them later on... :) :confused:

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Hmm, I'll give this a go.

*Loads 12-guage* :p
    Seriously, I can normally incorporate them into the fic.

Man, I had more before my old PC crashed. Now, I've got five.

...Whoa...ah, over a thousand.

I don't. The only other person to use this PC is my mother, and she is strict orders not to touch my word documents.

Right now? 100%. That number will go down, though.

6. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003

I have a stack of papers with random moments, plot points, characters, etc. for future fics.

Approx. 20.

Hoo boy. Checking? 260-ish pages right now, but I have 135 more pages of material I haven?t gotten to yet.

Never. I?m not that smart. :p

That?s a rough one, because I write/draw my own humor comic. As for actual story stuff, probably 94%. But, as I said, there?s the comic to keep me occupied.

7. Exxaciel

Exxaciel Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2005

Simple, I add them in if I can, but if I can't, then it's another fic in the works for me!

I've got a good-sized floppy disc devoted entirely to fanfics.

Typed? Uhhhhh, about 30 at least.

I don't- they're all on my floppy disc! (Can't have anybody sneaking on my account to read them, now can I?)

About 95%

8. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Hey, SilSolo how can you ever bear to delete any of your stuff? I know I'm always pulling up my discards and re-using them later on...

pokey: I wrote my first fics when I was in 6th and those were embarassing nightmares. Besides, I keep running out of space on my comp, so I only keep what I'm working on and use websites to store the rest that I like.

9. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    Ah... thank makes sense. Fortunately, the stuff I wrote when I was a lowly sixth grader was pre-computer (for me at least, didn't get my first one 'til seventh grade) and on notebooks. Thankfully all of those have been long lost to water, fire, and brother damage. ;) :D

Still, I occasionally feel the need to pull out even my oldest documents, just for kicks. I have found one or two decent lines, even in the older, less sophisticated ;) stories.

10. CarrKicksDoor

CarrKicksDoor Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2005

Amidala_Skywalker keeps track of them for me. Seriously. ;)

I do have a large notebook that I write all my fanfiction in, no matter what it is, and I tend to put ideas down. Often times, I'll just put whatever I'm working with on hold (esp. if it's a longer fic) and pull out one of my one-shot wonders and then go on with whatever I'm doing.

Enough that I have a separate folder for them, but not enough to warrant burning them to CD. I have a lot because I write each chapter as a separate file.

This one I'll actually count for. Total, of all my fics period (and I write Alias, Batman, Star Trek, Star Wars, The West Wing and Battlestar Galactica), I have 707 pages, with 253273 words. My longest fic is The Eye of The Storm at 129 pages and 46164 words. And this is only the stuff that I posted. :)

I don't anymore...I used to, but since people just take it as a matter of fact anymore, no one bothers me about it. 'Cept my boyfriend, who thinks I'm crazy.

When I look at this list, I'd say 75%, although Battlestar Galactica is rapidly making strides towards evening that out a bit.

11. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003

I keep them in the back of my mind for later. Or I just squash them down and use two or three in the same fic.

Just copies of my finished fics. Everything else gets deleted, so that makes about 12 or so files I guess.

A couple hundred.

Never. Never had that problem.

Damn near all of them because I'm too scared to venture out to another genre. 98%.

12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005

Umm... I don't. [face_blush] Only when they get so much out of control that they start contradicting each other do I say -- "start another fic if you want this is happen!"

There's eleven for written stuff (five documents for Slayer alone) and a random forty-six for all the random artwork I've done. :p

Seventy-seven for Slayer alone (including the pages that are not up yet). A lot more if you count all the ones that are not on a website. I write in font 10 in Veranda all the time -- except when my teachers want font 12 specifically.

Never. I don't need to. I have my own computer (in my basement) and never work on my projects at school (school computers are EVIL) so I don't have to worry. My family never checks my files any way.

Um... probably 85%. Just a rough estimate. Does OF stand for original fiction? [sorry, I'm bad with abbreviations]

13. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003

Open up a Notepad file and get down an idea. I'll look at it later and if it seems worth keeping (most of them do, at the time :p ) I'll save it in my dedicated Plot Bunny Folder. Yup, I have one. [face_blush]

Sheesh. I'm on a different computer right now, so can't count, but I know I have 6.41 MB of SW fanfic or fanfic-related stuff. That translates to more computer space than all my other writing (original fic + saved schoolwork + bits and pieces) put together. :eek:

Ones I've posted here come to probably around 150/200 pages. I'm guessing, since all mine are in 10pt, but probably around that.

My personal computer has an entry password which only I know, and I never leave it running when I'm not in the room.

75% at least, it's probably nearer 90% if I'm being totally honest. [face_blush]

14. MistiWhitesun

MistiWhitesun Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004

What subplot bunnies?

I only get what I think you're referring to when in the event that I like a story's idea and would like to expand it, or when I come up with such a complicated idea that it needs an even more complicated backstory. (Please don't ask.)

Uh? A few hundred? And that many because I have alternate versions, source material, beta'd versions, bbc-encoded versions, versions prepared for fanfiction.net, etc.

Yes, it's a mess.

I don't use MSWord, and the application I use doesn't have page numbers. It's a simple RTF application.

Guesstimate: four hundred or so?

Passwords? I have my own computer, and the application I use doesn't have password protection.

I'll guess 50%, maybe a little more, if only because I tend to do longer OF's, but shorter SW fics, & my SW are for practice. I also spent roughly eight months flinging fanfiction online (which encouraged me to write lots more Star Wars) before I worked up the courage to start putting my original stuff up.

I don't know for certain because I, uh, have a tendency to lose fics in my computer and find them months later when I've forgotten about them, making it impossible for me to keep a running total?

My writing folder (which contains everything, including other people's stuff & screenplays I read to study and information on publishers) is 116.6 MB.

Probably not the best answers for your purposes, but maybe you'll find them useful. :)

15. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    : 1. When you write some of your longer fics, how do you deal with your bunnies constantly breeding subplot bunnies?

I either incorporate them, or tuck them away for later use. Sometimes I forget them, but I never forget the really evil ones.

: 2. How many files on your computer are devoted to your fics (that includes bios of OC's that you put on your website and fic-related fanart)?

Let's see... I make a copy of the document every time I revise it or add to it, just in case I want to go back to a previous version. Then there's various notes, cover art, bios, and related stuff. Just my Star Wars fic... 217 files. That takes up roughly 347 MB of disk space.

: 3. How many MSWord (single space, 12pt font) pages do your fics (only the ones you have up on a website) take up collectively?

About 350 pages if I put I include my viggies.

: 4. How often do you set passwords to your fic-related files because you don't want people getting on your comps and reading/editing/deleting them?

The files themselves? None. I am a bit of a geek, though, so the file systems on my computers are fairly secure. I keep copies of my work on my thumbdrive for backup and moving them from machine to machine.

: 5. What percent of your fics (OF's included) are SW?

By number, 40%. By wordcount, around 60%. The vast majority of my non-SW material is original-fiction, but hasn't been posted online anywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.