main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Pacific Rim thread (Pacific Rim: Uprising)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthHutt, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Emmerich's Godzilla was on tv last night. I watched the last 15 minutes: so awful. The stupidity is multi-layered and textured for maximum annoyance, like eating a scoop of gravel and asphalt-flavored gelato.

3. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    That movie makes me want to punch a wall of nails covered in AIDS.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But it has Jean Reno!

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    That's a lot of fish.

GenAntilles likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It also had Hank Azaria!

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I like your trope better than mine

8. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Watched the newest trailer and thought it was awesome. :D

For some reason I'm worried that the Godzilla reboot/remake/whatever next year won't be as good as Pacific Rim. Hope I'm wrong though.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    If we're reliant on giant robots to stop these monsters, and they're barely up to the task . . . what exactly are all the helicopters supposed to accomplish?

10. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Originally I heard it was going Godzilla plus 2 Kaiju enemies. Then they said it would be a direct sequel to Gojira. I really have no clue anymore.

Edit: those helicopters drop off the Jaegers.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I remember seeing them being helicopter-dropped in one of the trailers, but I wasn't paying a ton of attention to the choppers. I thought they had, like, big Chinhooks or something dropping them off. I can't imagine how many little attack helicopters it must take to transport a skyscraper-sized Jaeger. Surely my immersion in this mechs-vs-monsters summer blockbuster shall be irreparably shattered by this grossly unrealistic depiction of helicopter lifting power.

12. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    New Robots guys!

[​IMG]
    Poland!

[​IMG]
    Canada!

13. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Mmm maple bacon.

14. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Good to see jp-30 getting his own jaeger. I wonder if his power specialty will be anal intrusion.
    [​IMG]

15. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
  16. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Gets better with every trailer. :)

17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    It looks pretty dazzling, and I'm sure the action sequences will be topnotch. I'm not getting a sense of the characters or why I should care which side wins, but I expect the film will dissolve those concerns, as Del Toro is very good with characterization.

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Is it July yet?

19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Ordinarily I'd agree with you but in this one case...who cares who the mecha-jockeys are or what makes them tick? They aren't the stars....the BIG ****** GIANT MECHS VS. MONSTERS are! And it looks so gosh-darn-pretty! [face_hypnothized]

20. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    This is the kind of inconsistent criticism that I--and probably Hollywood--just cannot understand. Now, I've no doubt this will be fun and it looks very well made, but I really very much doubt that it's going to have a lot of substance. Yet, for whatever reason, in this case, people are going to forgive that; forgive that it's nothing special as a film, and just looks really cool. OMG, giant robots fighting giant monsters! And that will be the only feedback the people behind the money will hear because the audiences will have nothing else to say, really, and we'll get five more Battleships and a hundred more Transformers movies because, for some reason, this one time, everyone's willing to forget that, you know, this is sort of cinema fast food and it's really no different than 2012 or Godzilla or anything else like that.

So Hollywood will continue to produce McDonalds, and all of you will continue to whine because you want Ruth's Chris and Hollywood will tell you to be quiet because you were fine with Jack in the Box just the other day and won't you please just eat your cheeseburger, why are you being so fickle about this all of a sudden.

MrZAP and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    My comment was more tongue in cheek than anything else, but I guess your point is well made. However, to borrow from your fast-food analogy, I myself prefer fine dining most of the time. Though I've yet to enjoy a dinner at a Ruth's Chris (preferably if someone else is footing the bill), I'd never go to a Jack In The Box if one were to open down my neck of the woods.

Same thing applies on those rare instances I go to the movies. I certainly prefer stuff that has substance 99% of the time over stuff that doesn't. And yes, in maybe this movie will lack substance and maybe it may turn out to be as terrible as Bayformers (though I really, truly hope not). That was a childhood memory utterly ruined by a guy that prefers flash over substance 99% of the time. Guillermo Del Toro is tackling a massive project that deals with another childhood love and, by the Maker, I surely hope this guy gets it right this time around. This would be perhaps my one guilty pleasure, junk food piece of summer blockbuster madness and I won't regret if it if turns out to be pure awesomesauce. But as I stated a few posts above, I'd prefer if we could get just ONE really well made movie rather than just a franchise-launcher with unlimited sequels down the line.

22. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    The bonus being that if it's one really well-made movie it'll eventually get a sequel, even if takes 20 years or so. Eggzample: Blade Runner. Or so it's rumoured.

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I disagree that any movie deserves to be seen when/if it is a mere spectacle of robots and monsters fighting.

I disagree that Pacific Rim will be one of these.

I like movies with substance and I think del Toro will give us one here, even if this isn't yet apparent in the trailer(s).

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  24. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I must say I'm looking forward to this one, mainly because that's the first sci-fi trailer I've seen in a while that actually unsettles me. Dunno exactly what it is: maybe it's the lighting, or the soundtrack they chose for it, or what, but it actually made me nervous. This is a good thing.

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, it does make you wonder what the tone of the film will be. That is crucial for a film like this. Anyone who knows the difference between 50's and early 60's Godzilla films and their tone compared to 70's Godzilla knows what I'm talking about.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.