main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Padmé Amidala MEGAthread - Don't look at her that way. It makes her uncomfortable

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Ganesh Ujwal, Dec 31, 2014.

1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Disagree. Her death as written undermined her character - leaving her fate uncertain would have worked better for me

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Such an important character to just die off-screen because of reasons? Nah, showing it in the movie was the best solution.

3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It wasn't "uncertain" anymore than Anakin's fate was by the end of the OT. There is no reason to believe that she isn't dead.

Unless Leia was lied to on a whole other scale than Luke was.

Obviously both of them were given stories. Luke about his father and Leia about her mother. Luke has no conscious memory of his mother and we don't know what he was told. Leia knows she was adopted but talks of her mother with nothing about her father

This would be like those who want to make it uncertain what happened to Anakin so as to keep the "revelation" of Vader in TESB.

It simply doesn't work.

As I've said I don't get how her character is undermined in the least by her fate in the movies. Having her just fade away after ROTS would do exactly that.

4. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Powerful as it may be, it clearly contradicts ROTJ.

5. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I'm sure by now you must know what the response to this is.

6. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    I think it's very powerful considering Vader saying "I couldn't have. She was alive. I felt it!"

More turmoil in Vader's psyche, and we as the audience privy to Padme's death, makes Vader so much more interesting. :D

MJ

7. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    "She remembers Padme through the Force"?

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Which is no different than all the "clear" contradictions within the OT itself as well as the PT and let's add in TFA and R1 which adds to it all.

So the question is then how does one explain which is in evidence onscreen?

These are the facts of the fiction. So we can use other sources which can be the new canon of animation, books and comics as well as the non-fiction book which gives background information on the fiction or we can extract and interpret from the primary sources based on what happens across the movies and decide whether or not we can come up with theories that satisfy us or leave it open to various interpretations.

That is the best answer presented. The Force is kinda important in the saga.

What does she remember?

"Just images really, feelings"

Compared to the other "contradictions" this is about as simple as it gets.

ConservativeJedi321 and Tonyg like this.
  9. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
  10. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I especially like how they presented his reaction after this: Anakin primal roar when he destroys the medical room. His pain for Padme hurts so much that even goes physical. After the “No“ there is no Anakin for 20 years. He indeed cannot breathe without her.

11. Padema

Padema Jedi Master star 1

Mar 11, 2007
    I've only read the first page in this thread, so I don't know if it's been covered already. The theory that Sidious was draining her life force in some way.

12. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I prefer the theory that Anakin and Padme had a force bond, and Anakin unwillingly drained her life force during his surgery to survive.

oncafar and Padema like this.
  13. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I prefer the poetical theory of the movie: Padme faded as her world, the love of her life and everything she lived for died. She protected her children till her last breath (from Vader‘s force choke and not only) but the childbirth was her last shatterpoint. As is discussed above, Padme is already out of the world. She gave birth in some lifeless rock, this wasn‘t even a real world. She even died in this place. I don‘t know why so many people forget what tragedy means. It means this. But still there is hope in the dark: her children who never became part ot the Empire even during their birth.

14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Both are part of the same story branch.

However it came about in the details (which we aren't being told) what we see is that Padme dies as Anakin "dies" and makes his final transformation into Vader. The Republic is gone as is justice and democracy and so Padme the symbol of peace and justice and family and goodness also fades away but not before leaving hope with her children and her belief that there is still good in Anakin beyond anyone else's belief's.

The idea that she needed to physically fight back couldn't happen and doesn't work in the story anyway. Do we really need to be told in dialogue that "As long as I'm alive the children are in danger." or something? Luke "gives up" in ROTJ so where is all the problems with that? How come it doesn't undermine his character? He would have been killed if not for Anakin.

Padme "gives up" and she is killed because of Anakin as Vader.

So once again mother and son are connected through Anakin.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I used to think Padme should've just been more Ripleyish and went down literally swinging but overtime I found a new appreciation for the actual ending. She succumbed to a tragic scenario, quietly and yet with enough bravery and dignity to bring her children into the world. She might've been broken, but in her final moments she looked toward an untainted future even if she couldn't be a part of it. Anakin also succumbed to a tragic scenario, through huge, awful actions brought about by his crippling fear. After his rebirth as Vader his first impulse is to look backward and confirm the darkness he brought about.

I agree that it's powerful and poetic, and fitting of a tragedy. For me Padme's character isn't undermined by her death. Nor are the redeeming qualities of Anakin made irrelevant by all the actions that led to Vader.

16. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    this is along the lines of what makes sense to me. it's vader that killed padme imo. i just didn't think that rots did the best job of showing it. in rots we can see that anakin is becoming increasingly lost but padme doesn't seem to really help him with this. i think it would make sense if padme is becoming increasingly weary, and anakin seems oblivious to it, overtaken by his selfish desires and seeing what padme represents to him rather than actually seeing her. i didn't feel the movie did a good enough job to show that darkness has been falling, and that it's impacted padme. also the relationship with anakin is one that drains her (would be my take). if the movie clearly showed that she was being drained, then her death at the end wouldn't seem odd. rots is about darkness overcoming the light. obi-wan is upset at anakin at the end for leaving the force in darkness, but the movie just didn't show it well enough for me. though i would probably like it to be more "gothic" and not such a kid's trilogy in general. *hides*

also if it could show that padme is consumed by vader and the darkness as part of the larger theme that the light can no longer survive in this new world... it must go into exile (like obi-wan and yoda), become darker, or die. so it's not because padme is weak, but that she is like a flame in a room where the oxygen is leaving... and eventually there isn't enough to sustain her.

eta: i mean there are little moments that can resonate with this. when padme talks of going back to naboo and fixing up the baby's room and the music is so sad but sweet, it's of course clear that this is only a fantasy (she'll never see naboo again). but also naboo is a bright and good place, and there's no room in anakin's new empire for a place like that. there's no room for someone like padme. when she tells him later that he's going down a path she can't follow, it says the same thing.

11-4D likes this.
  17. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    It creates all kinds of other problems, as ignoring continuity often does. We went in depth on this some time ago here & here.

I think in the end you agreed with me & said I was right as usual ;)

18. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I have a hard time find PT gear. Everytime I search for Star War gear or clothes, everything available is just OT stuff. I would love a cool Padme or Qui Gon Jinn shirt. Anyone know where to go?

Subtext Mining likes this.
  19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i just found one t shirt on amazon for girls. i rarely see anything PT in stores

20. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    The only way we'll see PT Pads stuff is if we ever get a Clone Wars era film/show.

21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Lately I'm back to trying to reconcile Padme's awful death.

I am noticing that she never actually got diagnosed with "broken heart syndrome". The droid signifies that they simply don't understand why she's passing and suggests, for whatever reason, she's lost the will to live.

It does leave room for interpretation, a little mystery to be solved. I'm grateful it wasn't explicitly stated that she died from a broken heart.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  22. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    GL said it was a BH. But now Disney may do a retcon if they want.

23. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I hope they do. I'm glad that they have the opportunity to right what was done to this character.

24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

All due respect to Mr. Lucas, but it's not in the movie, so it's not going to be relevant to my perspective.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  25. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Please don‘t get me wrong, I don‘t want to be rude, but I‘m surprised that so many people want to slaugther the mystical poetry of Ep.3 insisting on strictly biological explanation of Padme‘s death. There is such but is not only this. It surprises me exactly for the general winning of the prequels that took out the mystery of the Force (there were entire threads for that). And also surprise me while almost nobody discusses Anakin miraclous survival. This is the real mystery here (I understand why it is made that way but I also understand Lucas‘ decision about Padme‘s death). Yet Padme‘s death is the problem and Anakin‘s surviving is “natural“.