main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The parallel nature of Lando & Han

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Yoda_Lao-Tzu, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoda_Lao-Tzu

Yoda_Lao-Tzu Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2005
    I've been reading thru the Reference Guide (which is much appreciated, btw) and have seen talk of Lando & Han's relationship, but not much talk of their similarities.
    On the subject regarding Han forgiving Lando, it's not generally pointed out that the pre-Rebel Han would've done the exact same thing were he in Lando's shoes, which is likely why a grudge wasn't held for long when it was apparent Lando was truly sorry.
    Lando got caught up in fighting the Jedi's cause upon accident, after battling his conscience, same as Han (matter of fact, his conversion to selflessness was much quicker than Solo's). Han & Lando were both hustlers who looked out for #1, both were handsome ladies' men, etc.

So why is Han Solo viewed as a much more favorable character than Lando Calrissian? Even in that silly racism discussion, one of the accuser's main arguements was Lando, being one of the only black characters, was a turncoat who sold out his friends. Well, what about Solo refusing to help anyone unless he was guaranteed payment at a later date, which could've just as easily been for the Empire as the Rebels?

Anyway, just curious on your thoughts as to why Han & Lando aren't generally viewed in the same light (greedy hustlers who found redemption by accidentally getting caught up in fighting the Empire)...

2. DarthPayne333

DarthPayne333 Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2005
    I didn't know that Han was favored more. Lando represents the pre-ANH Han.

3. Darth_Falcon

Darth_Falcon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 11, 2002
    Han and Lando's characters are very similar and each goes through a redeeming process but Lando's path is much more darker than Han's. Lando betrays his friends to save his own neck whereas Han's actions don't impact that deep when he decides to leave before the Death Star Attack. Having one of your friends turn on you isn't much of a pleasant feeling and i believe that's the reason Lando isn't seen as "favourable" as Han.

4. DantSolo

DantSolo Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    <<what about Solo refusing to help anyone unless he was guaranteed payment at a later date, which could've just as easily been for the Empire as the Rebels? >>

You forget that Han returned to help Luke blow up the Death Star in ANH WITHOUT the promise of reward. So in the end, he did do something selfless, despite his protests of being in it "only for the money." And after Han's time in the Imperial Navy and his dishonorable discharge I seriously doubt he would have worked for the Empire, despite the money he may have been offered.

5. kttch809

kttch809 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2005
    I kind of like the way that when the hyperdrive on the Falcon fails to start, both Han and Lando say the same thing:

"It's not my fault."

6. TheWhiteTuxedo

TheWhiteTuxedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2004
    I'm not sure what you mean. I've never heard of anyone not liking Lando. Perhaps people look on Han more favorably because a)he had more time to develope since he was in 3 film insetad of 2, b)who doesn't like Harrison Ford?, and c)who doesn't like Han Solo.

But I see them as being quite simaler, though Lando was just a bit smoother. Or maybe he was just trying to steal something fram Han. :)

I thought it was interesting while I watched the Original Trilogy back-to-back yesterday. The idea of Han sacrificing himself (and dying) in ROTJ. Strictly from a story point of view, I actually like the idea. And I wonder what you all think of how Lando would fit into this if Han was to die. Would he comfort Leia? Would they eventually get together? She does like scoundrels.

This is just speculation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.