main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Passion of the Christ

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by JediDragon, Mar 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Wow. Ummm...wow.

Just saw this movie tonight. Not entirely sure what to think about it. I'm not sure if I can spoil this as it's a story almost everyone knows already, but if you don't want to be spoiled, don't read any further.

This movie is VERY brutal. It's the story of Jesus's crucifixion, and it shows every bit of it in VERY gory detail. It isn't your straight-from-the-bible crucifixion story, but then it's a Hollywood movie, so I really didn't expect it to be. Unsure what to think of the "Satan" part in the movie, but it didn't ruin it for me. The torture of Jesus is pretty lengthy, and very very brutal. If you have a weak stomach or don't like graphic violence, don't see this movie. Aside from that, I recommend it to everyone of any faith (or lack thereof as is my case), just because it's one of those movies that you just have to see in order to form an opinion on it.

Overall I did like it. Just still not entirely sure what to think of it all. Well made though. I'd give it 4 out of 5 dragons.

2. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    I think ppl are forgetting when you torture someone for an extended period of(especially back in that day and age) it was basicaly beating the snokers out of someone.I think this is a very acurate reenactment of what it would have been like.I think all the blood mkaes it better.If you stick a crown of thorns on somone head it will bleed beyond belief,thats why i dont get all the crucifixs ppl have that have him with 3 trickles of blood.

3. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    I am looking forward to this film on many levels. Granted, Mel clearly had to infer much of the brutality of the act, however historical research has borne his efforts true. Most victims of lashings didn't even survive that particular aspect, much less have to bear a cross through crowded streets afterward, while wearing a crown of thorns.

As far as most of the "idealized" or "romanticized" images of Christ, it must be noted that most of these sprang from Renaissance interpretations with a decidely Anglo slant to the depictions.

I think brutal is an apt description, much as was the case with Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List.

Hmmm...I'm sensing a theme here.

4. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    Could the theme be that :life can be brutal.Or bad things happen.

5. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    I was thinkin' "it's rough bein' a Jew"

6. buffy_wine

buffy_wine Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2003
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm planning to. I hope the movie contiues going well. I think they played the soundtract to the Passion when I was waiting for another movie to start. Which I thought was pretty cool. I saw the other movie because this was sold out!

7. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    What was the other movie? Twisted? Club Dread?

anyway, it surprised the hell outta me to hear that this movie is SOLD OUT in Iola, Ks (the town right next to ours that has the theater). This is amazing because as long as I've lived there, I don't remember this theater ever being sold out for any show (waterboy came close, so that should tell you the audience we have down there, lol). Being an area of small, strongly christian towns, I didn't expect it to do well at all there b/c of all the controversy (and all the hardcore pentecostals and such that live in the area).

So anyway, my point was, if this movie can sell out in smallville, kansas, I think it will keep going strong for at least a little while longer.

8. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    I really want to see this movie. I feel compelled to see this movie. Weird.

Its like, everyone has their own unique view of JC...it fascinates me to think of watching someones personal faith, his private soul, played out before me at the movies. Its intimate, and moving. Kudos to Mel...I couldnt do it.

9. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    i really want to see this movie.

hey, mistress, if you come down this weekend, want to go and see it?

10. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    That would be fun, Mac. I'll call you when I get back :)

11. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I can't wait to see this movie. But I think we're going to wait until we are in a new place before we see it. None of our familie's homes are baby proofed, and our current temporary place isn't the best.

...ah, life with 3 kids 3 and under. [face_plain]

12. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I think the movie will be fascinating to see. I haven't had a chance yet, and I don't know if I will. But I do know that cruxifiction is one of the worst ways to die. The Romans would sometimes break you legs so you couldn't use them for support and then you suffocated slowly, while in tremendous pain. I don't know if I would be able to watch that.

13. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    SPOILER!!!!!

he Romans would sometimes break you legs so you couldn't use them for support and then you suffocated slowly, while in tremendous pain.

YES, THIS MOVIE IS VERY BRUTAL AND GRAPHIC!! *holds knees just remembering that scene*

14. TK-4752

TK-4752 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow. It might be up against "Misery" for the most teeth-clenching scene.

Haven't seen it yet.

Not sure if I want to. I mean, ya sorta know how the story goes and ends. I know Rachel wouldn't go -- she has a hard enough time seeing blood in cartoons. :D

15. buffy_wine

Nov 8, 2003
    I saw the making of the Passion on pax awhile ago, and the guy who plays Jesus says four months before Mel Gibson came up to him, someone came up to him and told him he was going to play Jesus. Then Mel Gibson came up and the guy told him that he wanted him to play Jesus. They haven't even told anyone they were making it yet. Kinda strange.

16. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Yeah and he got hit by lightning!!

17. yodaman12002

yodaman12002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2003
    must not have been a good enough take for someone

18. buffy_wine

Nov 8, 2003
    He also got whipped a couple of times.

19. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    Wow. It might be up against "Misery" for the most teeth-clenching scene.

misery doesn't hold a candle to this...

the guy who played Jesus

that'd be Jim Caviezel. he kicks ass IMO.

20. buffy_wine

Nov 8, 2003
    Looking forward to seeing it.

21. RubberDuckTape

RubberDuckTape Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 27, 2003
    Yeah, not sure i can take it. I almost passed out in sunday school when one of my teachers decided to describe the crucifiction in graphic detail. (I have a very vivid imagination and can't stand the sight of blood)

Maybe if i could hide behind someone it would be okay. Or that might be when i 'suddenly and unexpectedly need to use the rest room'. :p

22. buffy_wine

Nov 8, 2003
    Or you realize that you left your headlights on.

23. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    You'd probably end up in the restroom for most of the movie then, RDT...

24. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    lol, yeah, I'd suggest you not go see it then ;)

25. buffy_wine

Nov 8, 2003
    Just saw it. I thought it was very good. The devil was creepy looking, especially in the first scene. My friends and I got there late, and it was still all most full! We had to sit in the second row, and people were still coming in after that. There will people of all ages there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.