main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Path ... Obi-Wan ... JA era

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by agentj, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentj

agentj Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 3, 2004
    TITLE: The Path
    AUTHOR: agentj
    DATE: February 2005
    CATEGORY: Vignette: Angst
    SPOILERS: JA books
    TIMEFRAME: Pre-Saga: Jedi Apprentice
    CONTENT WARNING: none
    SUMMARY: Obi-Wan finds a deeper connection in the Force by following the Path.
    AUTHOR'S NOTES: *Originally, this was a response to an Obi-Wan challenge showing Obi-Wan doing the same thing at three different stages of his life. I only got part one done. It can stand alone, but maybe if my other plot bunnies leave me alone I might get back to this one.
    DISCLAIMER: I willingly and willfully use characters and situations copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox and Lucasfilm Ltd. without permission, and without monetary gain. Additional characters and situations are copyright 2005 Lisa D. Jenkins.

Donning his robe, Obi-Wan asked his Master Qui-Gon Jinn permission to go out and meditate privately. Absorbed in his own thoughts, Qui-Gon absently nodded. Obi-Wan paused a moment at the door, observing the broad shouldered man kneeling on the floor to begin his own meditation. Obi-Wan knew that the act of meditation together would help secure the broken bond between them, but at the same time, he sensed Qui-Gon had his own wounds to heal after watching his former Padawan Xanatos fall to his death rather than admit defeat.

And the wound of dead friends still lingered in his mind as well.

Obi-Wan made his way through the Temple quietly, using his steps to guide him into a trance. He found himself heading not for the gardens nor the lake in the Room of a Thousand Fountains, but to a level higher, a meditative chamber meant for more advanced students of the Jedi arts. The darkened room had a lighted pattern on the floor?a winding path meant for the Jedi to traverse while he meditated about his own path in life, the path of past and futures, the path of all Jedi. Also along various points in the journey were meditative chimes the Jedi would touch or brush against, setting off a soft tinkling sound. Thus the meditative chamber was called the Path of the Chimes.

It was not forbidden for a Padawan to come to the Path of the Chimes, but many did not until their later years of training or perhaps not until after they had faced the Jedi Trials and became a Knight. Obi-Wan had allowed the Force to guide his footfalls, and this was the place it had carried him. Trusting in the Force, Obi-Wan entered and began down the Path.

Obi-Wan had been to the Path of the Chimes once before with Qui-Gon. It was shortly after he and his master had been paired together, and after his first brush with Qui-Gon's former student. Qui-Gon had silently led Obi-Wan here, and the boy did not question his master. In complete silence save for the chimes of the bells, rustle of a cloak and shuffling of feet, Obi-Wan followed.

Qui-Gon had wrapped himself with a cloak of personal thoughts Obi-Wan could not penetrate. Lacking the discipline for deeper meditative states, Obi-Wan found the exercise boring, and had to circumvent the urge to stray off the Path. He did admit, however, the sound of the chimes particularly soothing, and found himself humming absently with the rhythmless abstract tune it seemed to create.

Obi-Wan came to the first set of chimes, and with a delicate touch, set them in motion. [i]For Xanatos,[/i] he dedicated the lifting sound to the darkness. Obi-Wan had sensed the dark tendrils of the Force twisted around Xanatos the few times he fought against him, but despite all his anger, all of Xanatos' hate, Qui-Gon still had love in his heart for the young man who had once been his apprentice. Obi-Wan felt it when Qui-Gon called to Xanatos before making his fatal leap. If he somehow thought Xanatos could have survived the pit, Qui-Gon would have jumped in after him.

Qui-Gon's devotion initially surprised Obi-Wan. Since their mission at Melida/Daan and Obi-Wan's breaking of the sacred trust between Master and Padawan when he chose to stay and fight in the Young'

2. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Excellent. Especially when the chimes all start sounding at the same time - and when Obi-Wan releases his feelings for all those who've touched him deeply...great viggie.

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    That was so interesting, walking through the path of life remembering all those who had fallen or were
    sad
    and at the end I thought 'awww' that he would never tell Qui-Gon

Beautifully written

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Very poignant and sweet. I really enjoyed Obi-Wan's thoughts as he set each chime ringing in dedication. I do hope you find inspiration to continue these as per the challenge, I think they'd be wonderful.

5. Jedi-Tiger-Lilly

Jedi-Tiger-Lilly Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    Beautiful! I loved it when Obi-Wan released his feelings to the Force. That was such an Obi-Wan thing to do. Lovely.

6. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Very lovely. I liked the concept of the Path of Chimes. A very Jedi ritual. Makes me wonder at the significance of them ringing at once though. I suspect there's more to it.

I, also, liked Obi-Wan's thoughts with each dedication. He's growing up, learning to see deeper into the hearts and motivations of those around him. Excellent.

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I really enjoyed the chimes as he went from memory to memory. And the chimes all ringing at once was quite charming. But I loved the last sentence the best. It caught at my throat....

Good job.

8. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    This was very breath taking..

I loved your descriptions and the exploration of his emotions..
    The quietness of the room, with the only sound being the chimes, that was really beautiful, I could just picture it.

This left me really subdued. But in a good way.

Thanks for the great read! [:D]

9. Just_Jill

Just_Jill Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I love the idea of the path. It reminded me a VERY little about something I read in Zelazny's Amber books - but your idea was so much better. I really liked the chimes. Excellent.

Just Jill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.