main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'The Path of Betrayal' trailer available for download!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by shwanzi, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    Shwanzi here. I told you I'd have the trailer for my fan film 'Star Wars: Pathways Chapter I- The Path of Betrayal' available for download today. And here it is in all it's glory!

Download it here

Right click to save it to your computer... it makes it easier on the server.

It plays in Quicktime and possibly Divx.

Check it out and I hope it whets your appetite for the upcoming film!

Enjoy!

2. drippyzeo

drippyzeo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Sound effects you use with the transitions are kinda annoying...but I'm somewhat intrigued by this project.

3. Darth_Obstreperous

Darth_Obstreperous Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Looks interesting. Some nice locations and camera angles in there.

But why such big sabers glows? Wait a minute, if I remember, someone else is repsonsible for the rotoscoping. Isn't UnclePain or someone handling the saber effects?

4. Shin_Iori

Shin_Iori Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2003
    Hello all,

Yeah, unfortunately the rotoscoping was my end of the production and i have to admit that the sabers do look "fat." I followed a bad ratio for the glowing effects, and it didn't turn out to well, but it will be fixed for the film. I'm sorry for any inconvienece the sabers may have caused your eyes.

5. shwanzi

May 25, 2002
    I honestly didn't notice it at first, but it was pointed out to me by the lead FX guy. I think it looks okay, but I am assured that they will be much thinner for the actual movie.

Thanks for the comments!

6. shwanzi

May 25, 2002
    Sorry, it's not a Quicktime file. It's a Real Player file that also plays in Divx.

7. shwanzi

May 25, 2002
    Has anyone else seen the trailer yet?

8. Lord_Overkill

Lord_Overkill Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2003
    I have, but I did half the post work on it :) So I dont think I count.

9. GuanoLad

GuanoLad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 1998
    Do you want me to accentuate the positive?

Or point out some of the problems? Because some people don't like criticisms of any kind.

10. MacGyver635

MacGyver635 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2002
    Cool trailer!

-Mac

11. Darth_Gehenna

Darth_Gehenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    27 megs? Isn't that a bit much for a trailer?

12. marclinn

marclinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2002
    Way to go, shwanzi!

Are you going to re-dub some of the audio, because it's hard to hear.

The fighting looks intense, but looking forward to seeing more of the story. Just hoping this is more than a Jedi-Sith fighting story.

Great use of sounds, loved the title graphic.

Some of the shots looked very grainy. I wonder if you could darken them. And the snow shots look over exposed.

I like the fact that you are attempting dolly shots. The one up to the Jedi's face gets overly shaky. Perhaps you should use just half of that shot. It would still be cool. The Jedi flying backward and walking down the hall were excellent!

13. Kol_Niko

Kol_Niko Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2001
    I've been impressed with this film since you first started posting the stills. I'm glad to get to see it in action. :) As mentioned earlier, the saber cores and some of the sound could use some work. Overall, I'm looking forward to the finished product. Keep up the good work!

Jeff

ps I would have posted earlier but 27 MB takes a while to download on a 56k :p

14. shwanzi

May 25, 2002
    Glad to hear from you guys.

Yes, the sabers will be fixed. It wasn't noticed until we watched it on a television.

The story is more than a Jedi vs Sith plot. There's more going on than I show in the trailer... didn't want to give it all away before anyone sees the actual film.

The picture looks a little grainy because I was playing with the brightness a little too much and contrast a little too much in Premiere. Don't worry, all will be rectified in the finished film.

Any and all comments are welcome. Keep em coming!

15. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    It was pretty cool!

The sound FX after your words came in took away from it I thought. The first one was ok, just the fade out sound :)

16. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    Pretty good!

My only real complaint was that some of the animation didn't look very good...but, hey, I'm not one to judge. :)

17. SamS

SamS Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    The Bad: Despite the fact that some of the shots are supposed to be dark, it's usually not a good idea to shoot in dark places because the camera's gain kicks in, adding a lot of noise to the shot, making it look like VHS. The dialog sounded recited, which is what you do when you act; however, it sounded too recited, as if it were being read from a card. You're 3D looked unfinished; I don't understand if that planetary system we seen near the end of the trailer is a holographic image or is it an establishing shot.

The Good: I like the varying color of the locations: warm oranges and red, cool blues and greens. Some dynamic dolly shots (did you build your own and are testing it?). I like how there are some quick moving shots and a nice selection of close-ups; too many fan films have a locked off camera and don't do many close-ups or detail shots (ie: the lightsaber in hand, shots of boots, eyes looking around).

Looks good and I hope to see it finished.

EDIT: Of course I hope to see it finished. Did I think I'd see it unfinished? I meant to say, "Looks good and I look forward to seeing it."

18. shwanzi

May 25, 2002
    Thnaks again for the comments.

Okay, the lightsabers and CGI shots were only temporaries for the trailer. I was told that getting some of the actual CGI shots we are going to use in the film would take more time to render and stuff, so the lead FX guy came up with these quickie CGI shots specifically for the trailer. I mainly wanted something to take the place of the lame, cartoony CGI that was created by the original CGI artist that I fired.

The ship is the only thing that will show up in the final FX shots, the planets and stuff are a test render of the solar system where the last half of the film takes place. The planet of Dais VI is an ice moon, so the 'Earth-like' planet is just used in the background of establishing space shots as part of the system. I've seen the actual shots of what Dais VI looks like (it has an asteroid belt around it) and it's SWEET! It just wasn't completed in time to finish the trailer.

The color problems are from me screwing with the color timing and stuff. I already got balled out by my D.P. (my brother) for doing that, and he is going to help when I put together the final cut of the film.

As for the lines sounding rehearsed and not quite understandable... we are re-recording all the dialogue in a studio next week. I wanted to get the trailer done and used the stuff that was recorded when we shot the film, but for the final cut all the dialogue will have been replaced. I need the villain to sound more menacing and the hero to sound more confident.

Thanks for the comment about the moving camera shots. I noticed that in many fan films the camera seems like it was stood up on a tripod and left there. I wanted movement... a lot of movement. We used a dolly that was given to me with the tripod we used, and ended up using a flatbed cart to haul the camera around for close up dollies during the fight scenes and long tracking shots.

All has been taken into account and I appreciate the honesty of the posts. Keep em coming!

19. shwanzi

May 25, 2002
    Anyone else?

20. yikes

yikes Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Lemme guess. This is your first film isnt it!! The style is like... totally the sam as mine when I did my first student film!!! Looks nice... you really got some pro-camera concepts down!

21. ultimateguy

ultimateguy Jedi Master star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    Looks pretty great.

I made a film, utterly horrible. I look forward to seeing this one.

22. shwanzi

May 25, 2002
    Thanks!

23. GaNgStA

GaNgStA Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2003
    Cool trailer love the music..

My only crit is.. that the lightsabers look to fat..

For the rest evrything is ok...

C.J

24. shwanzi

May 25, 2002
    The music I used for the first half of the trailer is a Front Line Assembly song titled 'Silent Ceremony', the other is a song by E.S. Posthumus called 'Ebla'.

Glad you liked them.

25. shwanzi

May 25, 2002
    Anyone else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.