main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Path of Redemption (set 3000 years before TPM) updated 2/19

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Hood, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Setting: about 3000 years before TPM.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Chapter 1 - Recollection

Coruscant - the Jedi Temple - basement holding cell

In the lowest reaches of the great Jedi Temple, in a small holding cell, sat Talian Voss, Jedi Knight.

Soon to be former Jedi Knight, in all likelihood, he thought bitterly.

Half a kilometer over his head, the Jedi Council was in session, debating his future. His bitterness was not directed at them, but at the person who was the cause of all this.

Himself.

Had he not defied and disobeyed the council, or ignored the advice of his master, in all likelihood he would not be sitting here in this cell. He would not be considered such a danger by the council that they might just execute him, or exile him from the Republic permanently. He would not have betrayed his Master's faith in him. He would not have become an avenger, a bringer of illegitimate justice......a murderer.

I would not have fallen to the dark side.

Shortly before his fourteenth birthday, he had been apprenticed to Suri Sunrider, an accomplished Jedi Master and the descendant of great Jedi. In the eight years they were together, she had become the mother he had never known. She had corrected his failings, molded his abilities, encouraged his successes, and held him up through his many failures. There was no person he respected more, and she had returned his respect in measure. He had never wanted to hurt her or go against her, but twice now he had let her down.

Three years after his ascension to the rank of Jedi Knight, he had rescued the passengers of a starliner from pirates, and become friendly with one of the rescuees, a young woman about his age named Lulla. They had kept in touch after she had resettled on Coruscant, and eventually they had fallen in love. Suri had advised him to break off the relationship, lest he betray the Jedi Code. When it became known to the Council, they had ordered it.

But he had refused, turned in his lightsaber, and left the order. He and Lulla had left Coruscant and married, and shortly after had had a daughter. They settled into a new life on Corialis, where Talian had worked for the planetary security forces. They had been happy and content, and the only regret that Talian had had was knowing of the pain that he had caused Suri.

And then......

2. Xanatos_son_of_Crion

Xanatos_son_of_Crion Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2003
    Cool! First post!

And then......

Aagh!
    A cliffie!!!!

Well?????

*Sits waiting for next post*

3. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    Aagh!
    A cliffie!!!!

[face_devil]

More to come, probably later tonight. I should do it tonight, otherwise it'll be Thursday before I can post again.

4. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    And then......

Talian bent forward, rubbing his eyes with the heels of his hands, as if trying to scrub away the memory of that terrible day.

He'd gotten off duty, had been on his way home. Good-naturedly grumbling about the rain, wondering what Lulla was making for dinner, looking forward to a hug from little Zia......such innocous thoughts were all that occupied his mind.

Without warning, a blast of emotion hit him through the Force. Fear, terror, blinding pain......

He knew instantly that it came from his wife and daughter. He know instantly that they were in mortal danger.

Stomping on the speeder's accelerator, he had recklessly sped toward his home. He'd arrived there minutes later, leaping from the speeder and sprinting toward the house. Dreading what he might find, hoping he was in time.

The front door door was ajar, scuffed as if someone had forced it open, and perforated with blaster burns. He pushed it open, but it only moved slightly before stopping against an unseen obstacle. He'd stepped around it to figure out what was blocking it......

It was his wife's body.

Lulla lay there, Zia wrapped in her arms. Both had been shot several times; blood still leaked from blaster wounds. A trail had been dragged through the pool of blood on the floor.

His world went black......

5. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    But even as Talian's world went black, even as his mind reeled from the horror and anguish and pain, some analytical part of his mind was piecing together what had happened. The blaster holes in the door, the positioning of his loved ones' bodies.....this coldly functioning portion of his brain analyzed these things, and others, and told him the story.

Somene must have been trying to force the door and break in. Zia and Lulla must have heard the noise and come to see what it was. The intruders must've gotten tired of trying to force the door, and decided to blast it. They opened fire haphazardly, trying to shatter the door.....and not knowing or caring who or what was behind it. Zia and Lulla were hit by the blaster bolts as they sprayed through the door. Lulla must've lived long enough to crawl over to Zia and hold her.

They died together......my wife and my little girl.......

He had collapsed beside their bodies, sobbing and screaming. He'd curled into a fetal ball, shaking, overwhelmed, his mind a blank.

Suddenly Talian found himself on his feet. He had no idea how he had gotten up, or why. He felt like a person who had been drowning, only to find himself inexplicably standing upon dry land. It was only when the noise came again when he realized what had pulled him from his anguished paralysis.

Footsteps......voices.

Someone appeared at the landing of the stairs. Three someones. Human males, barely out of their teens. They started down the stairs, their arms full of what few valuables Talian and his family had possessed. They were clearly under the influence of some sort of drug or intoxicant, as their unsteady movements and the way they talked among themselves showed. They had reached the bottom of the stairs before they noticed him. They stopped, clearly surprised to see him, their muddled minds trying to come to grasp that fact.

He had no way of proving that they were the ones who had murdered his loved ones. But he knew. He didn't know how he knew, and didn't care. He just knew.

THEY WERE GUILTY. THEY WOULD PAY.

Red, an angry red, filled his vision. Power, terrible power, flowed through him, fed by his rage and grief until it became a torrential flood. He raised his hands, ready to unleash his own dark justice upon the hapless individuals in front of him.

Blue-white lightning erupted from Talian's hands, enveloping the three intruders in white-hot energy. He held them in it for long seconds, watching them writhe and burn, hearing them scream, feeling their pain through the Force.....and relishing all of it.

Eventually, he stopped, letting the burned-out husks that was all that remained of their bodies fall to the floor. He stared at them for a time, his rage subsiding back into grief. He looked from them to the bodies of his loved ones, and slowly the awful reality of what he had done came to him.

6. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    If you read this story, please post and let me know what you think (even if you hate it). Comments, questions, constructive criticism all welcome.

7. The___

The___ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Hey, very interesting! This is the first fanfic I've ever read. I like the use of the force-lightning. Cool.

8. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Jedi_Hood I see a startling resemblence between this character and that of Anakin Skywalker...

Now, don't get me wrong ;)...I don't mean it in a bad way at all. :) It's interesting that you've written about a character who goes through such traumatic events that it unleashes the darkness within him. [face_shocked]

The moment when he discovered the bodies of his wife and child was really chilling... :( He's really lost everything now, hasn't he?

So, he's a bad boy just like Anakin...and this trauma is going to lead him to the dark side...where he will become...

Aaargh, now you have to finish this! [face_shocked]

There is more right? [face_hopeful]

I haven't read any deep past fics like this before...very nice...

Now I wanna know what happens. Don't keep me in suspense JH! ;)

9. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    I see a startling resemblence between this character and that of Anakin Skywalker....

And with good reason. As the title states, it's a story about fall and redemption.

More will be forthcoming.....though not tonight, unfortunately. I have to go home and go to bed soon. I will try to post more tomorrow night, because after that I won't be around for a few days.

10. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    This was very good.
    Scary also how close it reminds me of Anakin Skywalker. I think you have a bond with GL :D Something like this could be what is instore for us in 2005.

Look forward to more.

11. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    I think you have a bond with GL

Actually, I'm his lovechild. He just refuses to admit patrimony.

Okay, update time!!!

Chapter 2 - Intercession

Coruscant - the Jedi Temple - the Jedi Council chambers

"Jedi Master Suri Sunrider. You have requested that you be allowed to address the Jedi Council. Do you still wish to do so?"

The low, sonorous tones of the voice of Nomaranech, leader of the Jedi Council, rolled through the chamber. Late afternoon sunshine blazed through the chamber's windows, casting orange highlights on everything and everyone in the room. It's reflected light flashed in the golden hair of Suri Sunrider, making her appear to be wreathed in flame. A steady grace showed in her movements as she stepped forward, into the center of the circle of chairs. Tall and lithe, she appeared far younger than her age, which was approaching half a century.

"Yes, Master. I wish to address the Council regarding the matter of Talian Voss."

This was not unexpected, thought Nomaranech. Voss was Sunrider's former padawan - it was only natural that she would wish to be heard in this matter. The Council had deliberated Voss' fate all day, and only late in the afternoon had reached a verdict. Sunrider had been present for the entirety, but had neither spoken nor been called upon to. Nonetheless, she had a right to weigh in. He hoped, however, that what she had to say would not further inflame the already-troubled situation.

Calculating, coldly logical, like most members of his species, the tall (relatively speaking; he was of average height for an Elomin, but that was still considerably taller than most) Jedi Master had headed the Council for almost twenty years, and had been a member of it for nearly eighty. His leadership was steady though unremarkable, but his firm hand on the rudder was most welcome. The horrors of the Sith War, though a millenia old, were still fresh in the minds of the Jedi, and Nomaranech's guidance was reassuring to those who feared the chaos and confusion of those times.

"For what purpose do you wish to intervene in this matter?"

Her tone and posture didn't change, remaining calm and steady. "I wish to plead for his life."

Nomaranech's demeanor did not change, but somewhere inside him, something sighed in exasperation. He had hoped that she would not do this, but was not surprised that she had. Many members of the Council had agreed only reluctantly to Voss' sentence, and what she would say could cause some of them to change their minds, creating divisiveness and discord - things which the Elomin feared.

"Master Sunrider, the Council has decided Talian Voss' fate. He is to be remanded to the civil authority and executed for his crimes. You know what he did, and the enormity of what he committed. You heard the debate and the sentencing, did you not?"

"I did, Master."

"You do not agree with the sentence?"

Suri looked Nomaranech straight in the eye. "No, Master. I do not believe that Talian Voss deserves to die for what he did."

A slight murmur rustled through the Council.....whether of surprise or agreement, Nomaranech could not tell. He glanced around, stifling the murmurs with the weight of his gaze, then returned his attention to Suri.

"Your concern for your former padawan is noted, Master Sunrider, but I must remind you not to place your feelings before the cause of justice."

Suri's eyes flashed at the veiled insult, but she nodded. "I know, Master. I only wish to see that justice is indeed done, and I address the Council for that purpose. If after hearing what is said, the Council still wishes to pursue the same course of action, I will submit to its will."

Nomaranech gazed at her, trying to sense the truth of what she said. He could sense no duplicity from her, but as a Jedi Master she was well schooled in hiding her feelings. And Suri's reputation for honesty exceeded that of even the Jedi standard.

No, he thought, I must not let my concern for t

12. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Hmm, very interesting and very controversial post...in terms of Suri's petition. :cool:

It's nice to see a fiery lady Jedi in a fic...great stuff with Suri. :D

And the master of the council...is her really in for it when Suri makes her statement? [face_shocked]

I feel sorry for Talin too...he was taking out his rage on those boys...Very, very, Anakin-like...will be good to see where this leads. :)

You may proceed

Leaving us hanging aren't ya, JH? ;)

Well...I'll wait! :D

13. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Oh my! How I could miss this story. I am sorry. The cell, the anger.
    There are good amount of emotions in your story. Welcome Jedi_Hood

He is to be remanded to the civil authority and executed for his crimes. Oh no they cannot do that. They are bad.

Good post.

14. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    Thanks, guys. :)

Should have an update by the end of the weekend.

15. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    Finally, an update! Sorry it took so long......

--------------------------------------------------

"Then you may proceed."

Suri damped down her relief, focusing on what she was to say. There had been no guarantee that the Council would hear her out, but now that she had the opportunity, she had to succeed. She ganced at the floor, focusing her thoughts, then raised her head.

"Esteemed Masters, I commend your vigilance against the dark side, and share with you the belief that it must be suppressed. I will not defend or condone Talian Voss' actions, or say that they should go unpunished.

"But I submit that he does not deserve to die. I further submit that allowing him to be executed could take from us one who could be a powerful force for good.

"Talian Voss did not seek power for himself in doing what he did. He was terribly wounded, and in his grief struck out against those who had hurt him. His actions were instinctive, not cold-blooded. Already he feels remorse for his actions, and horror at what he could become if he falls again.

"I submit that Talian Voss may yet redeem himself. The way back from the darkness is through the light, and he can find the way - but he must do it on his own. Either he will succeed, or he will fail - but we must give him this chance. The Force alone can bring him back from the path of the dark side.

"I respectfully recommend, Masters, that Talian Voss be exiled to a remote or unpopulated world. Being alone would help him regain his focus, and his touch with the Force.

Talian Voss will not fail you, Masters."

As she spoke, Suri opened herself completely to the Council, letting them feel what she felt, helping them understand her feelings.

There was silence for long minutes after she finished speaking. Finally, Nomaranech spoke.

"Master Sunrider, the Council will now deliberate on what you have said. Leave us now. In one hour, bring Talian Voss before us, and we will pronounce sentence."

16. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Great speech from Suri...she wants a fair trial... She can't make it look like she disagrees with them too much...but I liked how she pleaded her case.

Yikes...cliff hanger again JH! [face_shocked] You're keeping us hanging there again! ;)

Nice update :)...okay, now for Talian Voss...the next post should be really interesting. :cool:

Can't wait! :)

17. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    very good I loved the last scene keep up the good work.

18. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Hi very good post. I am sorry I got little behind.

19. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    Not a problem, Pattty. I'm just thrilled that people are reading it. :)

I'm mildly surprised - I didn't think that last section came out very well, but people seem to like it anyway. Go figure.....

20. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    I am the same way the parts I really love in my story, people are like Ehhh, but then other parts that doesn't impress me much people love.

21. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Very good fic. I really enjoy your writing style. :)

22. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    This is a great tale.

I liked how the Dark Side of the Force was portrayed in it, and his thinking about what he went through in the past.

23. Nazgul_Hood

Nazgul_Hood Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2003
    Thanks, all. Glad you like it.

An update will be coming soon, I promise!!

24. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    At last.....the long-awaited update!

Basically, the reasons for the long delay were, 1) real-life crap getting in the way, and 2) the fact that I got rather stuck, and eventually decided to take the story in a (slightly) different direction. Anyway, here goes......

Coruscant - the Jedi Temple - basement holding chambers

Exhausted by his tension and anguish, not to mention the fact that he had not slept in days, Talian Voss had nodded off into an uneasy slumber.

He could see the bodies of his loved ones, his wife and daughter, lying as they had when he had found them.....with one exception. There was no sign of the violence that had killed them; not a mark showed on their bodies. No blood. In fact, it appeared that they were simply asleep, lying there in the front hall.

They were even more beautiful than they had been in real life.

He'd bent down, leaning over them. Their expressions were peaceful, radiant......it even appeared that they were smiling slightly. He'd reached down, touched his wife's face, to feel it warm and soft, just as it had been in life.

Did I make a mistake? He asked himself, a sense of unease and confusion slowly growing in his gut. Were they not really dead? What is going on?

Abruptly, a shadow of threat filled his mind - a presence approaching. He stood, turning, but could see nothing. But the presence was there, nonetheless, as tangible as any he'd ever felt. He could feel the malice, the sense of hate and anger, steadily drawing closer.

Stop it! Kill it! A hand clutched at his arm.

He turned again, to find his wife standing beside him, his daughter in her arms. The terror in both their eyes smote him, adding to his confusion. He faced the incorporeal presence again, only to find that it was no longer incorporeal. A black shape now stood before them. A sable hand reached out, slowly moving toward his loved ones.

DO SOMETHING!!! Lulla screamed again.

In an instant, the turmoil in his mind suddenly cleared. He knew now - he had a chance, even if only in his mind, to bring them back.

His hand darted to his belt, grasping the lightsaber that he had not been wearing in reality that fateful day, and ignited it. The glowing yellow blade swept through the apparition, and he watched as it dissolved.

The grip on his arm abruptly vanished. Wondering why, he'd turned toward his wife and daughter......

Only to see them exactly as he had when he'd found them on that horrible day. The wounds, the blood.....

Talian Voss awoke, screaming.

25. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Excellent. I liked how you had Talian go through a period of numbness with the shock of his wife and child dying a few posts back. That Sunrider was able to approach the Council and get them to rethink their sentencing was also well done. And this latest post, I really liked that he was having nightmares about the whole thing and waking up screaming!

Very well done. Keep it up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.