main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Path to Immortality- ROTS spoilers

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by astroanna, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Hey, all! Well, after watching ROTS for the second time yesterday, I was inspired. I just had to sit and write this little scene. It's similar to a post I did in an earlier Episode III treatment, but now that we have the actual film to refer to... :D

So, this was inspired by the line Yoda says to Obi-Wan at the end of ROTS... "An old friend has learned the path to immortality."

So, without further ado... :)

THE PATH TO IMMORTALITY

Obi-Wan Kenobi sat upon a log before the blazing fire. It still amazed him how cold it could get on a desert planet like Tatooine. The fire was warm and gave off a soft, peaceful light, but it could not bring peace to Obi-Wan?s mind. Taking a deep breath, Obi-Wan finally decided the time had come. Yoda?s words floated through his mind.

?Teach you to commune with him, I will.?

And so Yoda had. It was surprisingly simple, when Obi-Wan thought about it.

?Reach for the bond you shared with your former master, and speak to him again, you will,? the wizened master had said.

Closing his eyes, Obi-Wan began to let his mind relax, letting the golden framework of possibilities that was the Force form as he had done so often before. He then followed the bond that he had once shared with his own master, Qui-Gon, a bond that had long ago fallen silent. Despite what Yoda had told him, Obi-Wan found it hard to believe that he could speak, once again, to his slain mentor.

Suddenly though, inexplicably, the silent bond began to resonate once more with the powerful, familiar presence of Qui-Gon Jinn. Obi-Wan?s breath caught in his chest, not yet daring to believe what was happening. When he opened his eyes once more, however, Qui-Gon Jinn was sitting serenely next to him. Qui-Gon was simply gazing at the fire, framed in an ethereal blue glow. The expression of serenity and peace Obi-Wan was so familiar with was on the older master?s face, and after several minutes of silence he finally broke it.

?Hello, Obi-Wan.?

?Master,? Obi-Wan said, completely stunned. For him, the title was automatic, and comforting, and?right. He was not a student anymore, but he had never stopped thinking of Qui-Gon Jinn as his mentor, his master. Being in the older man?s presence, even now, brought Obi-Wan back to when he was a student and his master had all the answers. A time that was less complicated, less dark, less painful. The torrent of grief that was the loss of his apprentice welled up within Obi-Wan and the mental shielding he had built so carefully began to crumble.

?Padawan,? Qui-Gon said, his eyes blazing with compassion. The sound of his master?s voice, using the title he had always used for him, finally broke through every defense Obi-Wan had. He simply let the tears come, simply felt the pain, and Qui-Gon patiently waited for the wracking sobs to subside.

?I failed, Master,? Obi-Wan said, defeated. ?I failed.? Qui-Gon simply shook his head.

?Look at me, Obi-Wan.? Reluctantly, Obi-Wan raised his eyes to meet his master?s. ?Obi-Wan I want you to listen to me. I asked you to train Anakin because I felt he needed to be trained. I was-? Qui-Gon sighed. ?I was sure of it. Now?now I?m not sure it was the right decision.?

Obi-Wan said nothing. Qui-Gon simply kept gazing at his apprentice.

?Obi-Wan, right or wrong, why do you think I asked you to train him?? Obi-Wan shook his head, a rueful smile curling his lips.

?I don?t know, Master. I always thought it was because you knew I would never refuse your dying wish.? Qui-Gon smiled.

?Obi-Wan, I?m shocked. How could you ever think me that manipulative?? Obi-Wan chuckled, despite himself.

?Need I remind you of that little?incident on Corellia?? Qui-Gon smiled.

?Well, it did teach you never to lose your lightsaber.? Obi-Wan?s face fell.

?I tried to teach Anakin that. I tried to teach him a lot of things.? Qui-Gon nodded.

?You did teach him, Obi-Wan. Don?t you see? I wanted you to train Anakin because I knew you would teach h

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Lovely! I adore the idea of Qui-Gon being able to communicate with Obi-Wan. =D=

Bravo!

3. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Beautifully done! Obi-Wan's fears and emotions were quite understandable, but Qui-Gon's guidance was exactly what he needed to be able to find some semblance of peace and forge ahead with what had to be done for Luke's sake. Loved it. :)

4. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I can definitely imagine Qui-Gon giving Obi-Wan such wonderful advice when Obi-Wan first communicates with him. As you've described it,

Being in the older man?s presence, even now, brought Obi-Wan back to when he was a student and his master had all the answers. A time that was less complicated, less dark, less painful.

and this is exactly what Obi-Wan needed.

Great advice there! :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Great job! Loved it! Poor Obi.. you can feel his pain and misery there. He feels such a failure! Glad Qui told him otherwise. Key word was that Anakin 'chose' his new path.

Excellent work!

6. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    *smiles* That was beautiful, astroanna. I really love how Qui-Gon was able to help Obi-Wan put things into perspective. Anakin chose, indeed. Obi-Wan did all he could for him, but in the end, it was Anakin's choice to kneel before the Lizard King.

Wonderful job! :)

AQ

7. mithrissa

mithrissa Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    I really enjoyed this fic: so nice to have see some emotional resolution being played out for Obi-Wan. I love the fond tone of their interaction: makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Thanks!

Mithrissa
    Day One Fanfic Convert.

8. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    VaderLVR64- Thanks! :) I liked the idea, too!

Gina- Precisely! :) Thanks a lot!

Valiowk- That's what I was going for! :)

Kynstar- I've always said, choice is a major theme in the SW saga, and one I've tried to incorporate into my fanfiction... :)

AQ- Thanks so much!

mithrissa- After all those years together, I figured, what other kind of interaction would they have? I think that was one of the reasons Yoda told Obi-Wan about this obscure ability of retaining consciousness...:)

9. c_owensby

c_owensby Jedi Master star 3

Apr 25, 2002
    That was just wonderful. I like seeing Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon able to comminicate with one another and Obi-Wan needs to stop blaming himself for what happened with Anakin. As Qui-Gon told him, Anakin is the one who chose to follow Palpatine and there was very little Obi-wan could have done about his choice. :)

10. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    That was so touching and warm and yet so filled with pain and anguish. When Obi-Wan screams "He chose another master!" I wanted to cry. :_| Yet there is still hope and, as Qui-Gon noted, Obi-Wan did not hesitate to transfer the love he felt for Anakin to Anakin's offspring.

Brava!

11. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    c-o- Thanks so much! :)

Arwyn- :D Long time, no see! I'm always so thrilled to hear from you, and very pleased you enjoyed!

:)

12. Darth-Jedi-Master

Darth-Jedi-Master Jedi Master star 5

Jun 2, 2005
    Beautiful Story, hope to read another one :)

13. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    D-J-M- [face_blush] Thanks so much!

14. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    Just an up! :)

15. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
  16. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Lovely work, astroanna. Just loved it.

17. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    Thanks so much, Arwen-Jade! :)

18. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
  19. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    This was a great angsty story. Nice take on the bond between the two. Obi so needed some reassurance.

20. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    :) Thanks, PK!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.