main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI The People vs. George Lucas

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by huttese1138, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huttese1138

huttese1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
  2. c3500BC

c3500BC Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2008
    I'll admit to having been less than thrilled with some of Lucas' creative decisions,but equating an unsatisfactory movie-going experience with the crime of rape is just disturbing.

3. huttese1138

Mar 9, 2002
    A little more. ... While I agree with you if taken literally, any sensible pop culture fan understands it's just hyperbole representing the obvious disconnect between Lucas and a very large segment of longtime fans ? including this one.

4. c3500BC

c3500BC Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2008
    Dustin,you're more generous than I am,that's for sure. :) I just don't think that these "Lucas raped my childhood' mouthbreathers are that intelligent.They come across to me as being at the very least,juvenille and inarticulate and at worst possibly unbalanced.Either way,I abhor stupidity so I generally stop listening at that point,which is another example of how this disconnect can happen.At any rate,I'm not trying to sidestep the issue,so I'll give it a rest.

Getting back to the topic itself,I remember reading an interview with JJ Abrams years ago(when Alias was still on) and someone had asked him if he ever read the stuff that fans post on the internet about his show.He said that he did because sometimes when you're writing something and as it goes through the process of re-writes and all that,the writer may think that something works really well,but when it plays out for an audience,it may not have worked as well as you thought it would and that it's good to get that feedback.While I think Lucas could probably skip 90% of what's on the internet,sometimes it's good to get fan reactions,in order to get a better idea of when something is or is not working or if it could work better.

Taking the topic a step further,there was some discussion in another thread regarding R2-Detroit's seeming disconnected-ness from the area fandom.So,opinions will vary,but if there is a disconnect,it's probably happening on more than one level.

5. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    Hi, I'm one of those mouth-breathers. :D

Lucas didn't rape my childhood, no, but he has bent the Star Wars universe over a table and completely robbed it of any sense of innocence or worth. The Force no longer has mystery, it is simply an aftereffect of a <censored>load of bugs in your cells. Jar Jar Binks exists. Lucas' obsession with digital arts and technology, as well as his already established problem with directing actors, lead to three movies devoid of humanity. There was no feeling behind the wooden, cliched dialogue. There was no reality in the polished, clearly fake setting. There was no connection to the lifeless, paint-by-numbers characters. The prequels took everything that the original movies did well, reversed them, and shoved it all soullessly back to us in a shiny package. We were supposed to be distracted enough by the fancy wrapping that we wouldn't notice the actual gift was a massive turd.

Were there moments in the prequels? Sure. Ewan and Ian showed up with their acting chops, despite given drivel to say and blue screens and cardboard standouts to act off of. The Anakin/Obi-Wan fight, despite a questionable ending (zomg high ground lol), was as intense as it should have been. The music, as always, was magnificent. But those are the corn kernels in a giant steaming pile of badly-written, lifeless, high-priced toy commercials.

6. huttese1138

Mar 9, 2002
    Tell us how you really feel, Mike. ...

7. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    If anyone knows how much a money maker Star Wars had become in the 6 years between the Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith is me. I could not add the dollar amount that I spent on toys. About a year after Sith I realized that Star Wars was less about the late 70's early 80's but a money making machine.

At the time the Phantom Menace was released in 1999 I thought that it was a good movie. But 11 years later it looks bad. The acting is bad. The dialogue the terrible. Jar Jar was made for 5 year old kids. This movie was the launching point of Star Wars: Money Maker

As Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith came out the movies got better. But the never had the charm of the first 3. Visually they are better. They could do things in the prequals with blue screen that the the original could not do. But that don't mean they are better.

I still love Star Wars but it not the same at it was say 10 years ago. I now believe that Lucas wants to please everyone. And by doing this has left the core of the franchise behind.

If you think about it Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith really wher not that ground breaking. They where not diffrent than any other big budget movie that came during this period of time. But if you look at the original 3 they are considered the bench mark for the period they where released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.