Saga The People vs George Lucas

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Nub, Dec 12, 2011.

Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. Sistros Force Ghost

star 6
    critics would like you to believe. I honestly believe that critics have always had a ax to grind with Lucas with him making his films independently and going against the director's guild

-----

why would critics care about that?
    Last edited by Sistros, Nov 22, 2012
  2. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    i've always gotten the impression that critics hated Lucas since Star Wars because he tries to have it both ways. they're presented with something artsy that the masses are going to approve of. kind of the way indie kids love their favorite band until they go mainstream, and from then on there's a grudge. an "I liked Lucas until he sold out" kind of thing.

i think this sentiment has spread to the fans who see younger generations liking Star Wars for seemingly different (ie, "WRONG") reasons. "they don't know Star Wars like I do. they can't!"
  3. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    Hmm, I think you're on to something there. Good analogy!

"Yes, to Stampid you listen"
    /LM
  4. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    The critics had their knives out long before GL left the DGA - that didn't happen until the release of ESB (over Irvin Kershner's credit not appearing at the beginning of the film). Not relevant, and no, the critics couldn't care less about such matters.

But yes, right from the start there was snobbery from critics over a film which appealed so directly to the masses getting so much attention, while their beloved auteurs dug their own graves with their own self-indulgence, producing critical & commercial disasters like At Long Last Love, Sorcerer, New York New York and Heaven's Gate.
    Jaws and Star Wars didn't kill New Hollywood, they simply inherited it and unintentionally gave birth to a hideous breed of unimaginative imitators.
    Last edited by Darth_Nub, Nov 23, 2012
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn