main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Petition to Disney: Save The Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Watto, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    An interesting development today from Deadline Hollywood, Disney announced two new Marvel cartoons debuting this Summer on Disney XD. What's interesting is they quoted their highest average cartoon being "Ultimate Spiderman" which averages between a .7 and 1.0 rating. Even during it's worst days TCW averaged a 1.2-1.4 rating. Maybe they are lining up a viewing block of Marvel and Star Wars for XD. Given that Season 6 is in the can and work is underway on Season 7 it would cost very little on Disney's end to air two more seasons of the show then segue into Episode VI.

Yancy

PS Keep up the pressure on Disney. This should be resolved soon.

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Thanks for the update, Gallandro! (Or is it Yancy? =b) Perhaps they are working on a block like that. I think TCW would be a hell of a lead in show for something like that.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, I bet this is all it is. No reason to panic. Season 6 is already completed, and the delay is most likely just due to what's stated above regarding channels.

Also, I agree with Coric ... it will be funny to see people take credit for their "successful petition" when Disney does what they were going to do anyway. :p I admire your guys' enthusiasm, though.

JackG likes this.
  4. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    How people can naysay this is insane. Maybe some of the younger posters haven't been around long enough to see a favorite show cancelled. It happens, then you are left sitting around thinking "how could they do that??" If that happens and the crew for this show is disbanded it will be too late. Don't take anything for granted. If there is in fact most of season 6 done and some on 7 or later I can see them putting it on Netflix/iTunes/BluRay but that doesn't mean in the remaining episodes we'll get a chance to resolve some of these characters fates like Rex. It's obvious Disney wants to get off anything prequel related. So far they have cancelled the rerelease of EP2/3, put 1313 on hold, and discontinued the Clone Wars toy line. If people can't get the message from that alone you need to get your glasses checked. From now on we are going to see much more focus on the OT leading into 2015 which is just around the corner. I would even expect some of the people working on this show like Joel Aron and Matt Wood might be yanked from this and will be putting in overtime on the huge number of films they have planned now. If this show continues on in large part it will be thanks to the letter writers and petition and fan interest, so keep it up guys!

5. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    How many people have signed this petition? I'd give more weight to the idea that Disney will do whatever they do because of money, not letters and a petition. And as I said, I think in this case they don't even intend to kill the show anyway, just move it to their own channel.

6. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Its because people are used to seeing their shows just get cancel and shrug it off because they thing there is nothing they can do about it. Thing is there is nothing conclusive yet either way and this fandom is huge. Personally I will not take credit for any success when season 6 is announced. I will rejoice and keep my word to give bear hugs to all in celebration that more TCW is on the way soon. I personally don't believe TCW will get cancelled but things have changed from where they were last year and if folks are worried. I'm not just going to twiddle my thumbs when its easy enough to write a letter and sign a facebook petition.

118 DAYS LEFT
    1,135PEOPLE SIGNED THE PETITION

http://www.causes.com/actions/17333...-clone-wars-to-remain-on-the-air-till-the-end

rumblewagon likes this.
  7. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    This. There are valid reasons to be concerned. Remember Sod's Law. Complacency may be nice, but if you genuinely want to see TCW get the support it needs to conclude and to not be forced into a premature conclusion or run into the ground, then I strongly recommend getting involved.

[​IMG]

"You're complacent for someone who might be on the losing side of a battle."

8. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    That's cool. Like I said, I don't disagree with the goals, I just don't think the risk is that real.

Frankly, I only want to see the show get the chance to have a proper conclusion, and to do it in Season 6. It cannot keep going. I was baffled when people were saying stuff like, "Yes! We can get X more years of TCW!!1!"

And even if it is likely to be cancelled, I don't think much will change that decision. I wonder what kind of petition numbers Family Guy got, because it seems like that success has to be more of an exception than the rule.

9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't want TCW to go on forever myself. I want it to have a chance to conclude properly.

eht13, QuangoFett and rezpen like this.
  10. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    Exactly, based on the pace of the story arcs and how far away now we seem from EP 3 I wouldn't mind the series ending at Season 7 or 8. On the other hand it's hard for me to see this series airing while Ep 7 is in theaters. I frankly think Disney has already decided to cancel the show and might be now trying to find a way to put the best face on it. Maybe incorporating parts from different future seasons to conclude the series on Netflix or BluRay at Season 6, or giving us in some format a completed Season 6 then parts of 7 as rough incomplete scenes in bonus material. But hopefully we may be able to change that and it doesn't hurt to try.

11. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    I honestly have a strong feeling that we will get a season 6 in some form or another...but I agree with rezpen, I don't think that Disney will let this show be overlap with the release of Ep7. We've already heard that TCW crew has been working on seasons 7 and 8 - or at least what is planned for 7 and 8, which basically means that they have planned up to 66 or so more episodes of the show.
    so basically -
    "Season 6" = episodes 109 - 130
    "Season 7" = episodes 131 - 152
    "Season 8" = episodes 153 - 174

I don't think they will allow 3 more seasons...they might allow 2...but either way, I see them taking whatever stories are essential and have already had the most money put into them (furthest along the pipeline; recorded, shot, animated/most expensive to produce; based on effects, actors, etc.) and trying to cram those into 1 or 2 more seasons and everything else (even if it already was recorded and maybe even shot) might get thrown away...and the later episodes (153 - 174) that are probably only in writing and concept art stages, will never see the light of day.

So we may see one or two arcs pulled from "Season 7," "Season 6" may lose one or two arcs (whichever require the most money to complete them). In the end, we'll have only one more season left (the newly formed Season 6) made up from bits and pieces of the remaining stories and the overall goal of TCW crew will not be met. They will not be able to tell all of the stories that they feel they need to. The fans will be left with unresolved issues. I will be sad.

QuangoFett likes this.
  12. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm just going to point out that Ep VII will be released in 2015.

Season 6 = 2013 - 2014
    Season 7 = 2014 - 2015

If Disney believe that the continuation of TCW past March 2015 will overshadow Ep VII they are stupid. But there is no proof of this. Disney may have said that they want to concentrate on the ST but that doesn't mean that EVERYTHING is going to be dropped.

If the TCW have mapped out an ending with GL which as we know they have done and IF they are still working 3 seasons ahead then Season 7 could very well be the season in which they plan to end the show anyway. We don't know when in 2012 this took place, I reckon it was before Celebration, before Season 5 aired so they were probably planning the end of Season 7 which at that time was still 3 seasons ahead. The show ending at Season 7 - and they've had adequate amount of time to plan - would work in fitting in with the release of Episode VII and not overshadowing it.

I'm still going to say that GL would have been very particular with certain things before selling. I would bet that the continuation of this show is something he would have made sure to happen before signing on that dotted line. If Disney go back on any agreement that involved TCW they would get in trouble for violating terms of a contract.

I would be very surprised if this show continued past a Season 7 (I don't really believe that a Season 8 is planned, 3 years ahead at the time of things being planned/written would have been before broadcast of S5 when they were still making final changes to it, so still 3 seasons ahead makes 7 seasons, not 8 as people may be supposing - that is coming from fan speculation), but I have faith that GL was thinking of this show, and that they've plotted all the storylines they plan to tell for the show and are looking to wrap it up.

QuangoFett likes this.
  13. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    This, if anyone is wondering, is the sort of less-than-ideal fate that could befall TCW even if its continuation is confirmed. A show of support for TCW now could go a long way towards maximising the series' chances to conclude in an orderly fashion.

14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't know, that kind of approach where they trim the fat could give us more essential episodes and fewer episodes like The WAC and Gascon Show. They could focus on what matters most and actually wrap the full storyline up in one more season, and thereby make season 6 really good at the same time. If it feels rushed in doing that, they still haven't focused on the essential plotlines enough.

15. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    At the same time, Iger says he doesn’t want to do anything that might detract from the upcoming movies. “I don’t want to overcommercialize or overhype this,” he says. “It’s my job to prevent that.”

RFR said that they had spoke to Filoni and they happen to know that they are working on Season 7 and even Season 8 - I do think 8 would still be in the writing/concept phases but they did say they were working on it.

Also, just to note, there's no guarantee on a 2015 release for Ep7. That was the initial plan but after they got Abrams, they made the PR saying that it was rough and it might be later than that...I'm thinking we're actually looking @ 2016 if they want to hit the "star wars release week" - May 19-25... if they don't mind a july or august release, then i'd say 2015 is possible...

16. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Focusing on the best conclusion oriented episodes isn't a bad strategy... but they could take a more financially minded strategy and finish the episodes that are furthest along in production instead. So then you'd get Gascon part 1 and 2 instead of Rex's fate or Ahsoka's story. :oops:

17. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    I think it would actually be the opposite because if they're trimming the fate based on monetary/economic reasons - we're going to get more arcs like Gascon and WAC and less like Mauldalore and Ahsoka....think about the content and production costs between those 3 arcs. the Droid arc was by far the cheapest. if they start to trim based on whats already almost completed (i.e. whatever is easy enough to have already been finished) and whatever is going to cost less, we're going to get more Droids and Less Drama....

QuangoFett likes this.
  18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, if it happened that way that would be the worst outcome.

It would be really irresponsible, though. Even Filoni and the writers know which episodes really matter in the grand scheme of things, so they should go to bat for those episodes in order to not let the final season(s) of their show be a mess.

19. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    Hence one of the reasons for us petitioning...It may not change anything, but at least down the line, looking back on everything, I can tell my grandchildren that, even though I may have lost, I stood up and fought against WAC-47 taking over Star Wars - TV

20. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I am also wondering if there are legal entanglements with Cartoon Network/Turner. For instance, merchandising profits from toys or DVD/Blu-ray could be shared with Cartoon Network and their lawyers may be trying to fight to keep some of those profits coming in. Could this be why Hasbro is not producing a Clone Wars action figure line this year?

We heard that the contract for broadcast ended with Season 5, but I'm wondering how the merchandising thing is documented and if there are some legal loopholes...

21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I would guess that that is part of all this too, definitely.

22. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    Save the Clone Wars Facebook page saying we may learn something on Monday, RFR saying we are at "Defcon 1", not looking too good right now guys.

23. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Gushcon 1

24. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Disagreeing with this petition =/= wanting this show to end on Season 5

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Where to RFR say we are at Defcon 1?