main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Petition to Disney: Save The Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Watto, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    While filling in the smgo.tv form I looked up TCW on IMDB and noticed it only has 8672 votes (still a respectable 7.4/10 though). If you're on IMDB and haven't rated TCW, do it now!
    www.imdb.com/title/tt0458290/

2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    PraenomenCognomen
    You're either hiring JJ Abrams or doing it on the cheap, you can't do both!

3. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Heheh... on a single 2-hour movie? Agreed... but as far as big-budget TV shows go? Well... that's another story.

Which is kinda bass-ackwards, when you think about it.

4. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    We lost to 65% Chewbacca. Not bad. We beat out a ton of movie characters in amount of votes and it's great for a Clone Wars character to do get closer to winning than Luke and Leia and C3PO (In voting percentage.) Especially against Chewbacca, one of the biggest fan favorites! Good Job.

Well so that plan to have Ahsoka win failed. Onto the next attempt!

I say we try smgo.tv

5. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Oh well... so much for the chrome incognito window trick.

Heh, at least we don't have to worry about this stupid bracket thing anymore. [face_tired]

6. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I wouldn't call it a failure depending on your expectations...

I just wanted her to get a lot of votes, and she did very well against a very iconic character. If its being used for marketing research then it doesn't matter who wins as much as how many people voted for her, i.e. if Chewie got 20 million votes and she got 11 million, that's still a ton of interest in her.

Also this generated a really cool fan campaign with Ashley's participation. This shows the level of passion going on in the community for this character.

Random Comments and credar like this.
  7. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Yeah. Failure was a wrong word. We did great for Ahsoka! I mean it would have been amazing if she could have won the whole thing (I doubted it would happen) but we did good :)

And I loved the cheesy videos they put out of her getting people to vote for her xD

Random Comments and Watto like this.
  8. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    :( we have failed you ahsoka how could people vote for a walking furry cardboard cut out over the great ahsoka :( im really bummed now. at least she did pretty good i guess

9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    [face_plain]

And please, someone advertising a character = cheating in some cases. Chewie took the majority of the votes based on his popularity and not by some desperation attempt. Honestly, I do not understand why 'you must vote for Ahsoka'. What will that prove? Absolutely nothing. Disney is not going to bring back TCW based on some internet popularity contest imho.

10. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    We've been over this many times: it's market research. They've poured time and money into promoting this thing, which means it's not just a silly web contest once the results are filed as marketing data. Even if it's noted that some cheated, it shows that there are still those passionate enough to cheat in the first place.

Now, that said, it won't make or break the campaign, and some are handling the loss badly and not seeing the bigger picture. And yunno what? That's OK, because some are also younger. Some can only process this as anger at Disney, because that's how young emotions work. There's no need to rake anybody over the coals for that.

Anyway, you're absolutely right that they wouldn't have brought the show back because of a popularity contest, but it's also silly to think that it would have no positive effect once it reached the marketing department; pretending that fan outcry won't affect their future plans and get a continuation of the series (even if it's set in the Dark Times) on the table and into discussion is ridiculous. They still need an audience, and this is about showing them what kind of audience we are.

11. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    In terms of those who lost in the bracket, Ahsoka placed third, after Han Solo and Cad Bane. Pretty impressive that she got more votes than Luke and Leia, who both were up against some big saga spanning characters themselves (Yoda and R2).

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't think our work is done. Ashoka may be out but Obi-wan is still in. They are using Ewan McGregor/ PT Obi-wan for his image. Obi-wan is often described as another member of TCW's 'big three' along with Ahsoka. I think we should get behind him vs. Yoda. Also R2 vs. Chewie.

Sgt Crowfield and Watto like this.
  13. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Going incognito doesn't change your IP, it just prevents your computer from saving data. Wouldn't it just count the 1 vote over and over again from that single IP address?

So... in other words, that wouldn't work. :p

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm still wrapping my brain around the notion that cheating is acceptable if one is passionate enough to do it.

That said, I'll vote McGregor over Yoda, but only once.

15. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    No, they allow multiple votes from the same IP. I'd assume they track with cookies rather than IP since it tells you the vote wasn't accepted if you don't use an incognito window (which would clear the cookies after being closed), but does accept them if you do.

^This. And in the grand scheme of things, I highly doubt voting a dozen times through incognito tabs will change the results anyways. Writing a script to do it automatically might, but they'd probably just blacklist your IP. :p

16. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    A dozen? More like 180 times.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Poor Chewbacca. First he gets no medal at the end of ANH, and now fans voted for Ahsoka against him just to try to "send a message" to Disney / LFL. [face_not_talking]

At least the majority of people taking the polls are evidently just using it for its intended purpose, which is to have fun voting for your favorite characters.

Yeah, because Yoda isn't in TCW... and Obi-Wan isn't in the movies. And R2 isn't in the movies either. :p

18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Here's my opinion: It's over. ;) Disney wants to concentrate on different things and LFL is included.

SithStarSlayer and eht13 like this.
  19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    ^ It really is that simple. :p

fett 4 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Wasn't that Lance Armstrong's excuse too :p

21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Lets be honest it's more than likely that Darth Vader is going to win the poll, but will that tell them anything they probably already don't know, that he is a cultural icon who is still winning popularity awards to this day. If they were going to do a Dark Times show charting his rise, the reasons for that would already be to hand, they shouldn't need this poll.

22. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    I'm still wrapping my brain around the notion that it even matters with a silly contest like this. We're talking about fictional characters, here. To that particular end, it is just a silly contest, market research or not.

So what I mean is, the fact that people cared enough to campaign in the first place was the point of the campaign's efforts.

I'm sorry, these two sentences don't add up. If it's just about having fun voting for your favorite characters, why should you really care about the results? The fact is, we know who's more popular in that matchup.

Fantastic, I'll write this down on the spreadsheet I'm keeping of everyone's opinions.

OK, lots of oversimplifications here. So: you're absolutely right, and that in no way invalidates my comments. As I stated, the entire point is to campaign actively and get the discussion on the table at LFL. It's not about the absolute results.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't, but if it's "just a silly contest," there has been a ****load of heat over it.

24. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Yes, as an arm of the #SaveTheCloneWars campaign... and to me, it seems the campaign actually succeeded by somewhat balancing the vote and creating that heat in the first place.

25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I think she means the heat she got, for simply saying she did not want Ahsoka to win, which was crazy. Like you said they are just fictional character's after all.

How was the vote balanced, the only 2 real TCW characters were polled against each other before the other was knocked out in the next round by a giant dog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.