main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx The PFF web site is UP - sort of

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by mrbunny666, May 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbunny666

mrbunny666 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 23, 2002
    Well folks, its officially online.

PHXFF.net

Currently, the CALENDAR and EVENTS sections
    are up and running.
    Will be adding more every night.

Only personal quirk I found is the EVENT INFORMATION section needs to be bigger.

No biggie, will fix tomorrow.

2. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Hey, uhm, bunny... you sort of have the wrong addy in the link... it's .net not .com :)

3. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    i wondered why my comp wouldnt take me there. i thought it was just being cranky.

4. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    I tried so hard to stay away from the Star Wars font... **sigh**

5. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    bunny, do me a favor before my head explodes and put "scrolling=no" in brackets on the frameset page for the top two frames. pleeeeeeeeeease? *twitches* ;)

6. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    link fixed :)

Oki bunny...Tomorrow night, you and I are going to sit down and REALLY rework the wording on this. "Wacky" has no place in this page :)

We'll discuss fonts and other layout too. A few things that come to mind for me....

Kill the upper scroll bar

The front page should default to events or some kind of news.

On events page, have something showing up instead of making someone wait to click on a link to see it...maybe the one that's the soonest. BTW, the event info window at the bottom is off by a pixel in my view at work on MSIE 6.

Calender rocks. Maybe put in member birthdays in the future ?

What do you have planned for fun ?

The home button seems really out of place at the moment.

Some other thoughts....unless "fun" is really needed, I think perhaps replace that with Constitution or something about rules of the PFF. There we can have constitution, board behavior, and general rules, like rules for sock puppet theaters...tavern thread...etc.

News and events can be rolled up into one. How much "News" is really there that isn't part of an event ? I would say roll them together and have the news the first thing they see with a list of events above like you have now.

I see a couple of other graphic errors too that I'll show you.

Great work. I really appreciate you getting this up especially considering your schedule. Thanks for the work on it.

7. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Minor correction:

My birthday and Master's are in MAY and not in June. FYI

8. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    First, the "Welcome" banner is completely redundant. If you're going to put that up, then take the main top one down.

Second, color scheme. Nothing is meshing. The red looks terrible. The hex codes for the colors are all over the HTML, not to mention the CSS page.

Third - I mentioned this one already - the Star Wars font. Is it not possible to have a SW website that doesn't utilize this excessively? The whole reason I wasn't using this was because it's not the easiest font to read. It has to be huge to be readable. Yuck. ComicSans was working great, as was Helvetica for the page type.

Fourth - I have all of the graphics for the site still. Remaking them isn't necessary in the least. I was wondering why you hadn't asked for them, actually.

Fifth - the aurabesh banner has got to go.

I'm not sure why the site was reworked like this - it doesn't need to be flashy to be effective. Not to mention Christian's mom who's concept and design it was in the first place...

Why didn't I just do it when I had the chance? With all the costumes to sew, raising a child, and my own health at the time, I really wished I could have.

9. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    Oki team,

Since I'm sure we all have additions, deletions, edits we think should go into the webpage...please sit down and give it a good thinking. Then PM me with changes or features you'd like to see. I'll compile and print them for when I sit down with bunny thursday and we work on this. Thanks.

10. ChoadsGirl

ChoadsGirl Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    I gotta agree with Kre on several points...

The way I look at it this front page it what represents us to the world. People are going to this site for info on us as a group as well as members of a larger orginazation.

My bigest thought is it's just too busy... This is not a business sight where we have to have everything set on the front page and overload the sense to get that 15 seconds of attention that are needed in a business site. People are doing this on time off, to relax and enjoy and have fun. It needs to be soft and flowing and peacful on the eyes. When you walk into a business office you see sharp harsh corners and expected things like chairs and desks and it's all very practical and harsh... When you walk into a home library you see soft lighting and books and flowing angles and peacful surroundings... comfort zone type stuff... That's what this website should represent... Comfort, Home, Family type feeling... It's exactly what we are... While we are an orginization, we are a family orginization... we are something to come home to at the end of the day...

The scrolling is eye crossing and the overall fonts are just hard to read.

Honestly the last one was simple and may have been "old fashoned" but it was HOMEY. It felt relaxing...

One thing that hasn't been brought up, but, with all the pop ups and that stuff, how many hours does it take to upload the front page on dial up? Not everyone has high speed. I had logged on to AOL when I first looked at it (dial up connection) and it took quite a long time trying to fill in everything. It was never that way before.

11. ChoadsGirl

ChoadsGirl Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    sorry void, must have been writing when you were posting... anyway you have my thoughts...

12. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    No prob, I'll put it in the list.

It's just kinda stressful to the web designer to come on and see a ton of criticism out in the open. So I'll collect everything and sit down with our webmaster and we'll get the site we're all proud of.

13. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    ok, we can all agree that the website is still under construction and needs tweaking.

please keep your critisism constructive and like void said, PM him with your thoughts on the site.

i will not allow this thread to get out of hand or anywhere near a flame war. i trust everyone will be respectful of the hard work that goes into this. remember, this is being done for the benefit of us all.

14. mrbunny666

mrbunny666 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 23, 2002
    OK, temporarily I have returned the web site to its former state.

Void & I will have a discussion about changes when he gets home.

I will make it simpler yet still fun.
    ok?

15. Darth_Greedo

Darth_Greedo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    Honestly we put bunny in charge of this website trusting he could get it done. I personally think we should wait till he is totally done till we star critisizing. So lets have him finish the website do everything he is going to do. Then when he is done we can get together and discuss what the final outcome will be.

16. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    what should have happened to begin with, i think, was everyone who wanted the job as webmaster should have put together a little presentation or template site, and we all should have voted on which template we liked best. possibly without even knowing who's template was who's, to prevent bias.

unfortunately i didn't think of that til a few posts into this thread. :\ it could have saved us a whole lot of trouble.

17. MonMartha

MonMartha Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    Personally, the temp site looks great. It's a challenge is to keep the format simple and the text large enough to be read by everyone including recovering grad students. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.