main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Phantom Edit & Re-Edit: A walk down memory lane

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TrueJedi, Jun 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    While it's true that there are problems in TPM that simply can not be fixed with the types of edits that TPREeditors has access to nevertheless I wish I had it on DVD because it would be great to watch it on a higher resolution format.

One thing I would love is to get it on CD-ROM because that way I can edit out the stupid pod race announcer as well.

Any chance of having my wish come true?

2. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm serious, I really, really want to put TPRE on CD so I can continue with my own edits. I wouldn't mind it if the file showed up in my mailbox. ;)

3. I_Bent_My_Wookie

I_Bent_My_Wookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2002
  4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
  5. SHAUN-FOREVER

SHAUN-FOREVER Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2004
    If someone has more "info" on this edit, please PM me :)

6. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    ^What Shaun said. I don't necessarily even need the video though. Mostly what i'm interested is just how they changed Jar Jar's and the Gungan's and the neumodians dialouge and still made it make sense in the film, i'd be very interested in a transcript if that's all anyone can provide me with.

7. Dschibi

Dschibi Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2005
    Um, I would love to take a peak at this too. If someone would be so kind ...

8. Boba_Fett_123

Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Does anyone have a link to the AOTC re-edit that was just reviewed? I'm much more interested in seeing that.

9. Lynch69

Lynch69 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    I would also be curious on how to obtain this......wink wink.

10. DINVADER_RETURNS

DINVADER_RETURNS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003
    I have always referred to this ridiculous Phantom Edit as the "Adult-Ego" version.

11. FifthDynasty

FifthDynasty Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2005
    Whoa...where can I go to see The Phantom Edit and/or The Phantom Re-Edit?!

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

Does anyone know the basic differences between the 2 edits?

g

13. DeathToDaDooku

DeathToDaDooku Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    NOTHING TO SAY!

14. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    No. Links to the material in question are forbidden. LFL is very serious about maintaining their copyright, and any derivative works of an original (i.e., Phantom Edit, Phantom Re-Edit, AOTC edits, etc.) are covered by the original copyright. Distribution of this material constitutes copyright infringement, which TF.N in no way endorses.

Fair warning: Further requests for copyrighted material will result in bans - when LFL's lawyers get involved, we get draconian.

15. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    Fan edits are fun, both to do as to watch, just like rewrites, but it's not the real thing. I saw the Phantom Edit, and thought it was OK, though all it really did was cutting as much Jar Jar as possible. Also, the consistency was completely gone: in some parts, the editor cut out parts about the Midichlorians and the Prophecy, while he has the characters talk about these things in other scenes.

I recently watched an AOTC fan edit, and kinda enjoyed that one, especially because I think that AOTC could use a re-edit a lot more than TPM. The changes were very subtle, and some were actually quite good IMO. I thought it was funny that so much of Jar Jar's lines were cut since he had so few lines to begin with.

16. JenM512

JenM512 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    You've GOT to be kidding. This idiot is re-editing A.I? He NEEDS to be stopped.

I haven't seen The Phantom Edit, or any other edit. Who died and made this person the savior of every movie he doesn't like?

TPE was a terrible idea, and it's pathetic that it got the kind of attention it did. No one has a right to take someone else's work, re-work it, and then make it available as some sort of "fixed version."

You didn't like the movie? Get over it. Make your own movie--and when someone edits that and called it fixed, see how you like it.

17. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    TPE was a terrible idea, and it's pathetic that it got the kind of attention it did. No one has a right to take someone else's work, re-work it, and then make it available as some sort of "fixed version."

If anyone can edit TPM into a watchable movie I'm all for it .

I've tried it myself and I ended up taking out about an hour, this certainly made it less awful, but ultimately it still doesn't work because certain key elements (acting/characterization) just don't work . It's a soulless movie.

I think perhaps an edit which removes a lot of the crappy dialogue and covers it with some narration might work .

TPM needs a lot of help I'd love to hear about more edits and ideas for edits .

Mine basically would remove the whole of the first half-hour, then remove the JC and heavily edit the Gungan battle .

g

18. DINVADER_RETURNS

DINVADER_RETURNS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003
    TPM wasn't soulless to me. Define crappy dialogue? And why is it so?

19. nyjet10

nyjet10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2005
    And the main difference between the Edit and re-edit is the re-edit is a lot more drastic. They changed Jar Jars voice and stuff.

20. UltimateJustin

UltimateJustin Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    As do most people, I believe TPM is a perfect movie.

21. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Define crappy dialogue? And why is it so?

Well obviously all of JJB dialogue, and that's a LOT . Then the others - most of the stuff said between Obi and QG is boring, you see it's not necessarily the words that are bad (tho they often are) it's that as dialogue it doesn't really develop any character or help chemistry, most of it's redundant, and so it would be a lot better to leave most of it out, then some great narration could deliver the important plot points . for instance we could leave out the first half hour, and just have something in the crawl about padme and JJ being 2 races from the same planet .
    Most of Amidala/padme's dialog is boring because she delivers it in a boring way .
    Anakin's is boring because his acting is pretty bad .

Basically I want to speed up the film a LOT , but obviously there are certain plot points which have to remain and have to be put across, but these points are buried in loads of crap, so narration would help . narration would be against the SW style I admit, but it's better than the alternative .

g

22. POTAStar

POTAStar Jedi Master star 2

May 26, 2001
    gezvader is very blind.

23. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    You DO know that it was one of the moderators who bumbped this thread back up a few posts back? Right?

24. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Not for the purposes of soliciting illegal material, but to reminisce about the edits themselves.

Personally I think these edits are a lot of effort just to ignore things one doesn't agree with, but if it keeps people from breaking their FF buttons on their DVD player, they can't be all bad.

I still feel that these edits are in every way, lesser films than the original.

25. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I'm quite aware of the situation, but as Go-Mer has pointed out, there is a significant difference between upping a thread for discussion and saying "Here's where to go to get it."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.