main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Phantom Menace Fan Commentary

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Bookedout, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bookedout

Bookedout Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the kickoff of The Phantom Menace Fan Commentary! This forum is designed to take fan observations and insights and plug them into the chapter headings of the DVD to provide a sort of running commentary for the fans, by the fans. For a complete example of what I'm proposing here, head over to the AOTC Forum and check the posts and links on the last page of the thread entitled "5 Great Scenes Directed by George Lucas". There you will find the address (and links) to download the AOTC Fan Commentary.

I'll kick it off by reposting a great observation by Adam Bertocci from his "90 things I love about TPM" thread. This one is going right under Chapter 49: "Naboo Celebration."

(ADAMBERTOCCI) I love the Gungan song (Augie's Great Municipal Band). Not only for its beauty and fun as a song, but because it mirrors the Emperor?s theme and makes us realize who really won at the end despite all the happiness and merriment. Finally, I love the ending shot. It parallels ANH?s, and the OT parallel is very nice. As wonderful as TPM was, we can?t forget where it came from.

2. Obi-WanKenobi715

Obi-WanKenobi715 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2002
    Bookedout -

I started a thread very similar to this just a few hours earlier. See the A Scene-by-Scene Analysis of The Phantom Menace to see what I'm suggesting. It's very similar to what you're proposing, but I plan on including info on previous drafts and other info, found in the DVD commentary and Insider's Guide in the discussion.

3. Obi-WanKenobi715

Jul 29, 2002
    Sorry Bookedout. I just checked out your AOTC fan commentary. All I have to say is "WHOA!" That must've taken tons of time and it's quite impressive. A TPM one would be awesome and while you seem to focus only on the movie at hand, I wanted to focus on earlier drafts and bits of info from the insider's guide to.

Here's a bit of info I planned on saving until later in the scene-by-scene analysis and although I don't really love the inclusion of the Air Taxi scene in TPM, Anakin hesitating going with Padme's group and looking back at Qui-Gon for approval is very symbolic. Later in his life Anakin is caught between the Jedi order and his love for Padme. Qui-Gon merely brushes Anakin going with Padme's group as a minor thing, but it's already obvious that he's formed a bond with her.

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Wow! Great observation Obi... I never noticed that! :)

Anyway... I am honored to be quoted in the first post of this thread [face_blush]

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. Bookedout

May 7, 2002
    I agree, great observation, Obi. I'm cutting and pasting that one in right away!

I also want to apologize, I just came straight over from the AOTC board, where we were discussing doing a TPM version of the commentary and I posted it. I really didn't even look at what was aready up here (I know, shame on me). So I just wanted you to know that it wasn't intentional. Hopefully there's enough excitement to sustain both threads and stimulate discussion for a long time to come.

And Adam, the honor is all mine. I've been marvelling at your posts for a long time (some are a real crack-up, too) and I was just blown away by your observation. Just when you think you've read or heard everything, somebody else comes along with a new insight and knocks your socks off! That's what's so great about SW.

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Woohoo! I found it (dances and twirls in a circle.)

Course now I have to watch the movie again. I might not get to that until this weekend though.

Can't wait- this will be fun :D

7. Bookedout

May 7, 2002
    Hey, a big "werm" welcome to PLJ! Glad you made it! Okay guys, the bar just got raised considerably higher! We are but the learners and PLJ is the master! :)

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Oh sure NOOOO pressure there Book, no pressure.

:p

9. Obi-WanKenobi715

Jul 29, 2002
    Here's a couple bits of info I just thought of.

All the films open with a pan, up or down, to a ship. TPM and AOTC open with Republic ships, the good guys, and presumably Episode III will as well. Star Wars also opens with a one of our heroes ships, but then suddenly an enormous Star Destroyer floats across the camera, signaling that times have certainly changed.

Also, in ROTJ Luke states that Emperor Palpatine's weakness is his overconfidence. Both Darth Sidious and Senator Palpatine, THEY'RE THE SAME PERSON PEOPLE, embody this. Sidious says that Maul will be no match for the Jedi. Palpatine says he WILL be Chancellor.

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Here's an easy one to throw in.

I don't remember the chapter name or number...but it's when Anakin is freed. The little hesitation and softening of Qui-Gon's voice when he lays a hand on Shmi's shoulder.

"Will you be alright?"

A little touch but Qui-Gon seems to have genuine concern about her.

11. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    hey i got an idea,

Why dont we have everyone here record there own commentary over TPM, the whole movie

Give it to someone who will then edit in the best comments just like they do on the dvd's!

Thatd be awesome!

If enough people are willing to give this a shot id be glad to take it all and edit it.

12. Bookedout

May 7, 2002
    You're right, DamonD, about that being a great tender moment between Qui-Gon and Shmi. What I don't think most people realize is that throughout the whole Tatooine sequence Qui-Gon is making choices between love and duty. It's very subtle. He's clearly attracted to Shmi but when confronted by Watto over which slave to free he chooses Anakin. He tried for both, but when forced to choose only one, he followed his belief that Anakin was the chosen one (duty) and picked him. After Anakin is freed he tells him that being a Jedi is a "hard life" and the truth of that statement is obvious to us by the choices and the sacrifices he's made.

EDIT: Winter_Chilli, are you talking about making an audio commentary?

13. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    Yeah, just like on the dvd

14. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    On the agenda this weekend IS to watch TPM. I'll probably do my usual and watch the Anakin and Padme scenes closely- hopefully I'll have something to contribute soon! :D

15. Bookedout

May 7, 2002
    Can't wait to see what you come up with, PLJ. Epecially in light of AOTC and what's to come in E3.

E Chu Ta posted some great insights on the Episode 3 boards pertaining to the rhyming schemes setup in TPM, ESB & ROTJ. I'm going to cut and paste them over here to include in the commentary. Really good stuff.

EDIT: Okay, here's a few of the great comments and observations to enjoy from the E3, Spoilers allowed thread:

(BUDDHA FETT) George Lucas..."I've said this a few times, but it's a complex idea that's hard to get across. I'm approaching these films, for better or worse, like a symphony. I have many themes that I keep repeating over and over again through the whole thing. Different notes and different instrumentation, but when you see all six movies together you'll see that there's a lot of recurring notes being played. Sometimes they're played with the oboe, and sometimes they're played with the violin, and sometimes they're played with a full orchestra. And it's also done in different facets. It's something I toyed with in my very first film, THX, which is to take various ideas and show different aspects of them, but out of context."

(E CHU TA) Here are three of the more obvious examples of "rhyming" sequences in the PT:

TPM
    - The climaxes in TPM & ROTJ are parallel to one another. With the TPM, there is a) a battle between a primitive & technological culture, b) an assault on a space station that is transmitting to the surface of a planet, & c) a duel between two Jedi & a Sith. Conversely, in ROTJ there is a) a battle between a primitive & technological culture, b) an assault on a shield generator that is transmitting from a moon to a space station, & c) a duel involving two Sith & a Jedi.

(GREEN EGGS & HAN) Here are a few rhyming schemes I noticed. Some of them are rather loose, but you can definitely see the connection.

The Phantom Menace compared to Return of the Jedi

TPM ? Naboo forces join with indigenous Gungans to conquer Trade Army:
    ROTJ ? Rebel forces join with indigenous Ewoks to conquer Imperial forces.

TPM ? Space station is destroyed and deactivates ground forces
    ROTJ ? Ground shield is destroyed and deactivates Space station shield

TPM ? Space station is destroyed from the core, with pilot narrowly escaping
    ROTJ - Space station is destroyed from the core, with pilots narrowly escaping

TPM ? Hero encounters/befriends lone Gungan
    ROTJ ? Hero encounters/befriends lone Ewok

TPM ? Pod race
    ROTJ ? Speeder bike chase

TPM ? A pair of Jedi are sent to bargain with a villain and ?free a planet?
    ROTJ ? A pair of droids are sent to bargain with a villain and free Han Solo

TPM ? ?Negotiations? go badly and the heroes must escape
    ROTJ - Negotiations go badly and the heroes must escape

TPM ? Anakin is discovered as the Chosen one
    ROTJ ? Anakin is rediscovered as the chosen one

TPM ? Qui-gon is killed by a Sith while obi-wan looks on
    ROTJ ? Anakin is Killed by a Sith as Luke looks on

TPM ? QGJ goes to Tatooine and tricks a local into freeing a slave
    ROTJ ? Luke goes to Tatooine and tricks a local, resulting in the freedom of ?slaves?.

I'm working on other episodes. There are so many rhymes to connect between the different movies that it's astonishing.

(COOLY FETT) How about this one Episode 1: Obi Wan holding Qui Gon while he is dying. Episode 6 Luke holding Anakin/Vader while he is dying. As a matter a fact they are both burned the same way.

16. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    E3, Spoilers allowed thread

Book, when I saw that I got hyper about the chance of spoilers in the text.
    I didn't read your post past that point, is it spoiler free? I need assurance :)

17. Bookedout

May 7, 2002
    Hi DamonD,

Yes, it's spoiler free. Those comments only refer to comparisons between TPM and ROTJ, nothing more. Don't worry, I wouldn't do that to you guys.

Book :)

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Interesting parrallels, Booke! :D

Alright I watched TPM again last night.

One of the things I noticed right off the bat is that Padme really doesn't quite know what to think of Anakin. She finds him amusing "You're a funny little boy." But ultimately she's completely uncertain as to whether to trust him or not.

This is a theme that runs again throughout AOTC. Even though he won the pod race and blew up the Trade Federation ship as a boy, Padme still sees him as just a kid.

In AOTC clearly he's grown up (and quite handsome [face_love] ) and even though he rescues her life from the creepy bug things- she still seems unconvinced by his abilities... so much so that she tells Dorme "Well I guess my Jedi Protector will have to prove how good he really is."

This seems to be a problem in Anakin's life. He's always feeling the need to "prove" himself as worthy to everyone- instead of just being true to himself and act on his own instincts.

Ani is interesting as a little boy. From the first sequence in the film where he meets Padme he mentions that he probably wouldn't still be around if he wasn't so good at fixing things. Later at the table, he informs Qui-Gon that "I can fix anything." This of course directly relates back to his confession scene in AOTC where, full of sorrow, he laments "The shifter broke. Life seems so much simpler when you're fixing things. I was always good at fixing things..."

Anakin as we see him grow up, is a genius at working things mechanically- the solution is simple- there is order to putting things together (like C-3PO) Assembling and creating mechanical things are logical and require a calculating way of thinking.

This is why Anakin doesn't understand death. Death seems illogical to him. It is the greatest puzzle that he wishes to unravel and solve.

"No one can kill a Jedi."
    "I wish that was so, Anakin." Qui-Gon.

"You're not all powerful, Ani."
    "Well I should be. One day I will be. I will be the most powerful of all Jedi. I'll even learn to stop people from dying."

Many of Anakin's own insecurities come from the fact that he and his mother were constantly kept in bondage. Although his life seemed to be relatively carefree in Watto's possession, he knew that he could not do the things he wanted in life, because Watto kept him in line (and could be killed thanks to the device hidden in his body.) Anakin was helpless to free his mother- the one person who truly loved and inspired him throughout his life.

When he's taken away from Shmi, he is immediately met with resistance from the Jedi Council- although he accurately can read the images on the screen, and is clearly a viable Force candidate, Mace and Yoda reject him to be trained. Anakin is aware, thanks to Qui-Gon stating that he was the Chosen One in his company, that he's supposed to accomplish some great task. But throughout his life, he's constantly faced with people who doubt him, and/or try to change the way he sees/views/acts in life.

Had Qui-Gon lived things might have been different, as he was one pace out of step with how the rest of the Jedi saw things. He "Lived for the moment" whereas the rest of the Council wished to meditate on matters and wait around to see what would happen.

It really will be no wonder that Anakin will become "The best starfighter in the Galaxy, and a cunning warrior." He's got the logical mind for working things. It's why he's such a great swordsman. Ultimately, it is whenever he feels the need to prove himself, though (rushing Dooku, taunting Luke at the end of ROTJ) that he runs into problems and gets squashed.

If we look at TPM and ROTJ as parrallel films, we show that only in the very beginning of his journey and the end, does Anakin truly understand Compassion. He wins the podrace to help the Jed- and although he is sorta hoping that Qui-Gon will somehow free himself and his mother, he comes up with the plan to win the race, souly to help others. When he wins the race, Shmi tells him, "How wonderful Ani, you gave hope to those who had none." What Ani doesn't underst

19. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Master and Padawan

In the opening sequences of TPM- Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's identities are hidden and obscured by the hoods of their robes. Qui-Gon's robe is slightly darker in hue than Obi-Wan's although they both wear similar Jedi uniforms (cream and brown.)

The color of the robes is significant to match the personalities of the Jedi. Qui-Gon is slightly one step out of sync w/ the Jedi Council (both Mace and Yoda wear robes that match Obi-Wan's in hue) whereas Obi-Wan tends to align himself more with the thinkings of the Council... even questioning Qui-Gon's motives to go against the Council's wishes later in the film, concerning Anakin's training.

Both Jedi appear calm and are connecting with the Force, and Obi-Wan nods and actively listens to his Master's lessons about living in the moment. They work as the perfect team, even if they don't always agree on matters, they have formed the perfect relationship of mentor and student.

Now we can compare this to our first meeting of Anakin and Obi-Wan in AOTC. Obi-Wan is still wearing the Council brown robes, and Anakin is wearing a deep, dark cape and of course the black and brown Jedi uniform underneath. Unlike in TPM- Master and Apprentice are at odds. Obi-Wan must pay close attention to the ever whirlwind of feelings that his Padawan exhibits, instead of tuning into the Force for other, possibly more pressing matters.

However it does appear that although there is a wall between Master and Apprentice, that Obi-Wan and Anakin do get along, and know each other very well. But the costumes immediately show that they are out of odds with each other and perfectly set up their differences down the road in the movie.

The fact that Anakin and Qui-Gon share robe colors is significant. For I believe it was always intended that Qui-Gon would have been the perfect Master for Anakin. He immediately developed a clear connection with the boy from the moment they met on Tatooine. Their connection is again, of course further hinted at by Qui-Gon's voice screaming out to Anakin when he slaughtered the Tuskins.

The robes signify what would have been the correct matching of Master and Apprentice. Unfortunately, Maul screwed up the cycle when he struck Qui-Gon down.

Anakin is not the typical Jedi Padawan, and using the tried, true, and strict Jedi Codes to train him do not work, because he is different. Qui-Gon understood that he would be a challenge to train, and was ready to accept the job... Obi-Wan, unfortunately, had no idea of what he was getting himself into.

20. Bookedout

May 7, 2002
    Wow, now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Way to go PLJ! I never really took notice regarding the color of the robes, etc, but now that you bring it up it makes a lot of sense. I thought the same thing about Anakin's costume in AOTC, a little outside of tradition with a personal flair. Pushing the limits a bit.

Also, your comments about Anakin trying to prove himself and his ability to handle and interface with technology are right on. Again, great posts.

Just curious, I know you stated over in the AOTC boards that TPM didn't really do anything for you when you first saw it. Did you like it any better this time?

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Well I HAVE seen TPM a couple dozens of times (I saw it something like 8 times in the theater.) It's just not my favorite film of the series, mostly because I believe that AOTC is far, far superior to it. I think I determined that I really don't like how it opens... that once Obi and Qui-Gon follow Jar-Jar to the hidden city, the pacing and everything starts feeling more like a Star Wars movie to me (I think it mostly comes from the fact that the Trade Federation guys just bug the hell out of me.) For some reason I just feel like the opening sequences feel disjointed :(

I actually really enjoy the rest of the film from that point forward. Of course there's also the return to Tatooine that always brings the feel of Star Wars back into the Saga.

Speaking of which.....

Tatooine- the barren, lawless planet of the Galaxy is GL's equivalent to the GFFA's Wild West. There appears to be no real laws, and gambling and drinking run rampid. Add in slavery and overall human suffering and it is the absolute opposite of the ideals of the Republic.

Each of the Skywalkers endure hard living in Tatooine, but all are hardy, strong, resiliant people, much like the homesteaders of America's past who dared to strike out across the US, settle and face uncertain perils.

For the American settlers, they had to deal w/ inconsistant weather patterns, hostile Natives, and wild animals. Things are no different on Tatooine. The farmers deal with droughts, sandstorms, krayt dragons, and Tuskin Raiders. The Jawas are the wandering salesmen, selling desired wares to the lonely settlers, and the Tuskin Raiders are the nomadic savages.

The question remains as to why it is that this place of danger and disorder would be where the Galaxy's greatest heros would be inexplicitely drawn. Tatooine does appear to be a nexus point in the Force. Maybe it is the relative lack of populous that makes it the perfect place for the Chosen One and his son to come from. Although it is lawless, Tatooine remains one of the last, true vestiges in the Galaxy where multi-species live in relative harmony together. It is run by the Hutts- a (obviously) non-human race. It is a lot like America in the 1800's if you will, a virtual melting pot for immigrants and spacefarers who pass through on their travels.

It is also the perfect place to remain hidden in plain sight. A Jedi and a Queen wearing simple, peasant clothing would not stand out anymore than a local. This most likely will be something that will be remembered and considered when Luke and Obi-Wan travel there in Ep 3. It is a place where hard living burns simple, moral beliefs into those (Owen and Beru) who stand against the scum and villany of the cities. And is the perfect place to raise those who dare to dream... a haunted, dull landscape that does not produce crops, but visions of exploration and adventure. For the Skywalker men- they are able to develop their flying skills in relative anonymity, and prepare them for their lives ahead.

It isn't clear where Anakin was born, but it most likely is significant that he and Shmi ended up on Tatooine. Both Shmi and Ani firmly believe in fate and destiny. Their conviction to this fact is finally confirmed by Qui-Gon "Our meeting was not an accident."

Although Tatooine never does lift out of it's lawlessness, nor does it become a member of the Republic, it is a necessary stopover place for the Galaxy- to remind everyone to enjoy the freedoms that they take for granted... for in a blink of an eye, they can be crushed and cease to exist.

22. Bookedout

May 7, 2002
    "I think I determined that I really don't like how it opens..."

I fully understand and agree, PLJ. After a multitude of viewings I guess I can kind of gloss over it now and get to the meat of the story, as you stated, once they get to the underwater city, etc... I really didn't like the Nemodians, or their voices, for the longest time, but have grown more fond of them since AOTC where I think GL used them sparingly to great effect.

Great post on Tatooine, by the way. I've already loaded your posts into the commentary and look forward to anything else you can come up with.

23. Emi-Yan_Tetu

Emi-Yan_Tetu Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 5, 2001
    My mind is buzzing with all sorts of thematic and symbolic issues but alas I lack the elloquence to convey them.

PLJ - I particularly enjoyed your section on Anakin's association with fixing things. That is a very loaded symbol, in my opinion.

24. Bookedout

May 7, 2002
    As I get older and watch and re-watch the SW movies I'm still amazed at how multi-faceted and layered with meaning they are. The Star Wars movies of my teens and twenties, that spoke to me mostly of action and adventure, now hold a much deeper meaning for me as I enter mid-life. Don' get me wrong, I still love the action and adventure aspects, but now also see the wisdom and life affirming aspects of the films as well.

Case in point is a little gem of a line buried in a discussion between Anakin and Qui Gon regarding the nature of the force and the existence of a single cell life form known as Midichlorians. The line; "...always remember, your focus determines your reality." Interesting that this line is spoken to a young Anakin Skywalker whose focus will one day center on his feelings of possession for the "angel" he had met just days earlier, and an all consuming desire to "become the most powerful Jedi ever." I see this statement as a very powerful portent in Anakin's life and rate it right up there along side Obi Wan's "certain point of view" speech to Luke in ROTJ. The wisdom of the ages.

I don't know about you guys but I'm pretty impatient by nature. I hate to wait in long lines and always seem to get behind the people who wait until they get to the register to start digging for their checkbook. Anyway, after I heard this line in TPM I began to notice that the more I focused on these situations the more they bothered me. I would work myself up into a lather over the idiot in front of me, whose lack of "focus" suddenly became my "reality". I've subsequently learned to shift my focus to something more positve, even if it's just a game on my cell phone, and it works.

So, who said TPM is just a kids movie? I, for one, certainly beg to differ.

25. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Emmi_Yan

Glad you enjoyed! :D

Book

I certainly don't see these films as only being kids stories. But I think that fact is painfully obvious ;)

Here's something new I've been mulling over.

The "I'm cold" sequence:

Padme views Sio Bibble's message about the death tolls being catastrophic after finally leaving Tatooine.

When she enters the scene, Padme is back in her orange handmaiden outfit, that hides everything about her appearance except her face. As she's viewing the message, you can see true concern etching across her face. This is probably the first real scene (other than her arguing w/ Qui-Gon about being too reckless on Tatooine) where we really begin to sense that maybe she's not just a handmaiden. For why would a handmaiden be able to just up and view one of the Queen's private messages?

In her moments of listening to the message, her sense of anxiety for her people is heightened. Knowing that she is hiding her true identity and absolutely cannot do anything to help her people, she shifts her attention to the one place where she possibly can make a difference.

She goes to Anakin.

The moment is crucial, for a few reasons. She is able to tell Anakin that she's worried about the Nubians (although veiled of course) and is able to at least openly voice her concerns on a sympathetic ear. Then she sees Anakin as someone who is suffering in his own right. He is cold- so she offers him a blanket. She can fix his problem, she can ease his suffering. It is the most likely the fact that Padme seems to deeply feel for her Queen, that Anakin responds to her so much. Both of them feel and openly are concerned about other people.

Anakin also from very early on awakens the nurturing side to Padme that is replayed in the confession scene in Clones. Even though she is worried about her own life, she can do nothing about the external factors that threaten her. She can however help to ease Anakin's suffering. It is only when Padme is in the presence of Anakin that she is able to find an outlet for the feminine side of her nature and she's able to distance herself from her political obligations.

When Ani offers her the snippet and she accepts it- it is symbolic in that their destinies will be linked together. Although offered in friendship, the simple piece of jewelery is also a token that recognizes Padme's feminine side. It is not a gift a boy would give to another boy. It's innocent, yet there are the underlying tones that the gift was meant as more than just a token of friendship. Ani can't afford anything- but he gave her something that he crafted lovingly with his hands.

When they eventually do marry- once again, Anakin has nothing to offer her for he is not wealthy. All he has to give her is his heart. Something that we all know feels too much, and experiences pain and heartache unlike anyone else in the Galaxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.