main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Phantom Menace is better than Episode 2

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by andyandy13, May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Those lines are OK, but they don't compair to ones like:
    "Wipe them out - all of them."
    "I will make it legal!"
    "Fear is the path to the dark side...(so on)"

2. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    To me the best line in AOTC would be "the thought of losing you, is unbearable". Its supposed sound sincere, but we know its really the opposite.

Another would be "as you see my jedi powers are far beyond yours now... Back Down

Seriously though, I think AOTC will be looked at as a more personal,character building episode, than anything else.

The so called "cooler" lines, are more for TPM and I would gather could be for Ep. III.

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Is this the new TPM basher/gusher thread?

I like TPM more than AOTC, but I can't say if it's better from an artistic/creative view. I think they both have their strong and weak points.

4. earlchinna

earlchinna Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2004
    I don't think so, this is just your opinion...

5. a. block

a. block Jedi Master star 1

Oct 1, 1999
    I like TPM better than AotC. I think that it's more "artistic" and more thought out. I think AotC has more action while there are more slower parts in TPM, but that didn't work for me. But I think that in general the hard-core and the normal movie fans like the more action.
    To me, AotC just felt like Lucas took all the critism from TPM and tried to make it so the fans would like it better, which seems to have worked. There are problems in TPM, but I find myself not skipping over scenes like I do in AotC.

Just my stupid 2 cents.

6. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Is this the new TPM basher/gusher thread?

No.

7. Yoda_Anakin

Yoda_Anakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2004
    Personally, I feel that TPM is a movie that has a lot of subtleties that are fun to find, while with AOTC, it's more mystery-like, forcing you to figure out certain situations. Both are fabulous additions to the STAR WARS universe, and I love them dearly.

8. obi_wanmeister

obi_wanmeister Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    When The Phantom Menace was out (by its lonesome) a lot of people hated it (including me). But now that time has passed, and Episode II has appeared; it is like TPM aged and has become agreeable to the stomach of fandom.

Which is ok...now looking back it is better than the weak lightsaber fight; weak dialouge; and terrible acting of Episode II...

9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I have to say... I like TPM a lot. It's a great film. But AOTC is just better for me. I love the darker feel. The characters are deeper and go through more interesting situations. It just feels more Star Wars to me.

10. Lord_Imperius

Lord_Imperius Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2004
    Put me down as one who likes AotC better.

To me, plot is the most important thing and I prefer AotC?s less linear, less predictable and darker plot. Also, AotC just feels more relevant to the saga and epic to me.

11. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    I really enjoy how the dialogue works in much more subtle ways in TPM than it does in AOTC. Case in point, listen for Darth Sidious saying "I have the senate bogged down in procedure, they will have no choice but to accept your control of the system" and then later listen to Palpatine say "There is a question of procedure, but I am confident we can overcome it". Also, there is so much implied in Qui-Gon's and Obi-Wan's dialogue when discussing the training of Anakin and defying the Jedi council. These types of things set your imagination on fire. Yoda's comments on the Sith at Qui-Gon's funeral also carries a good deal of impact for the future set up of things to come, as well as feeding us the most obvious of the subtle clues to be found within the film. I really enjoy looking for those types of subtle nuances and clues. AOTC presented its information and such more directly, such as Dooku simply telling Obi-Wan a good bit of what is going on (a great scene in its own right). It was still a good mystery building up, but I like the way it was handled in TPM a bit better! TPM left you with a good bit to ponder and piece together as opposed to having all of the puzzle pieces simply handed to you on a silver platter.

12. MasterKazur

MasterKazur Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    I agree with most of you guys. While they are both good movies (not great like the OT) I would venture to say that TPM is better. Like one guy said it has more of the vibe of the first movies. It feels much more like Star Wars that AOTC.
    Besides TPM feels more believeable. You know what I mean? The effect in TPM aren't way over the top. Everything (minus the gungan/droid battle) looks believeable. Everything in AOTC looks somewhat real but definately not believeable. It looks like your wathing a cartoon. Look at when Obi-Wan is walking around in Geonosis with Lama Su and Taun We. It just looks sooo fake. And there are many other examples.
    TPM is in my opinion a better movie overall.

Oh by the way last night when I was watching the Phantom Menace I thought of something.
    If Jar Jar Binks (one of the many reasons so many people hate the movie) didn't have that stupid, stupid voice he wouldn't actually be that bad. Think about it, if he just had a normal voice don't you think most people would find him cute?

But he doesn't have a normal voice does he? NO! I simply can't stand listening to the guy :)

13. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I really enjoy how the dialogue works in much more subtle ways in TPM than it does in AOTC. Case in point, listen for Darth Sidious saying "I have the senate bogged down in procedure, they will have no choice but to accept your control of the system" and then later listen to Palpatine say "There is a question of procedure, but I am confident we can overcome it". Also, there is so much implied in Qui-Gon's and Obi-Wan's dialogue when discussing the training of Anakin and defying the Jedi council.

These are great points. Agreed :)

But as we get to Ep. III, I think Ep. II will look like almost everything and is happening according to Sidious plans (Empire, Death Star, Stormtroopers). He has speeded up process to be in complete control and fixed his miscalculations in TPM.

14. sidious_onset

sidious_onset Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2003
    "The characters are deeper and go through more interesting situations."

I would say that for Anakin, yeah. Obi-Wan watching clones eat? Not as interesting.

15. Kobayashii

Kobayashii Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2004
    I find it strange. Going from first viewings i'd say TPM was better than Clones. After I came out of he Phantom Menace i was dumbstruck and very impressed by the beginning of the saga. Attack of the Clones just seemed to leave me cold. I was actually quite disinterested with most of the first half and thought the speeder chase was nothing special. It just didn't seem to have that certain "va-va-voom".

However, after repeat viewings I have to rate AOTC above TPM. When I watch it now I seem to enjoy every minute of it whereas there are chunks in TPM that I just find choresome. Also TPM has more "cringeworthy" moments for me that I just hate. Things like when Obi-Wan is with Jar Jar and Qui-Gon for the first time and talks about the bad things and "blasting into smithereens" as well as the annoying "Yippeeeee" and soem such. I also find it disturbing this 9 year old boy talking to Padme. It just doesn't work. Then again I do love Darth Maul. Lees is more seems to work well for the film (but thent he fanboy in me would've loved him to be a major player).

Overall I have to say Clones is the greater film as I can sit through the whole thing repeatedly without turning away or wanting to cut chunks out. I still enjoy Phantom Menace and have to regularly defend it against "Basher Drones" that seem to mock it without watching it.

16. Lord_Imperius

Lord_Imperius Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2004
    My situation was similar, I was initially impressed with TPM and a bit put off by AotC but now those positions have changed.

AotC just seems to stand up to repeat viewings a lot better.

17. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    1 - Liam Neeson; everything we imagine a Jedi should be

I'm puzzled at that one. Qui-Gon lied, cheated, and stole. This is your idea of the ideal Jedi? I'm just not clear as to your thinking on that. Thoughts?

18. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Both films have one mutual flaw: the convoluted storyline complete with excessive cod-political chit-chat.

Seeing EpIII will doubtless bring resolution but I know many people who walked out the cinema not having a clue as to what either film was really about, and several kids I know found the lack of an ongoing obvious evil character a real turn-off (Palps may be subtle background evil but he only appears at the end of AOTC and Dooku is just not frightening, no matter how good his character is).

Regardless, I prefer TPM. AOTC gripped me on first viewing but has faded quite quickly compared to the others. Of course, I still love it as a chapter in the saga but it doesn't give me that special buzz when I watch it.

Another part of the problem is the visual side. It feels so cold and riddled with eye-tiring saturated cgi backdrops and fx. The Ob-Wan observing clones sequence, the droid factory, the uninspired businesslike jedi temple (which I'd imagined would look a little less like a city library and more ethereal and mystical)...all leave me feeling rather detached.

19. DarthTravis

DarthTravis Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2004
    I love TPM, but AOTC is better.

20. Jedi_Fighter_Piolet

Jedi_Fighter_Piolet Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2004
    I like TPM, but I like AOTC better because it begins to tie things together and how it sets things up for Episode III. I like many how the clone troopers were introduced, how Sideous was only shown for a few seconds, and of course, the clone war battle. I think that it is a better movie when put with the entire saga.

I also heard somewhere that the duel was toned down so that it would not over shine the Episode III duel.

21. IKilledSifo-Dyas

IKilledSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 2

Aug 6, 2003
    My rank:
    ESB
    AOTC
    ANH
    TPM
    ROTJ

This is my ranking as well (though I go back and forth on if I like TPM over ANH).

I think the first 40 minutes of TMP (up to the "This is my apprentice,Darth Maul" scene) is better than the first hour of AOTC,but the last 120 minutes of AOTC (starting with the Obi-Wan/Jango Fett fight on Kamino) is better than the rest of TMP (save the Lightsaber battle).

22. QuiDonJinn

QuiDonJinn Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2004
    As far as the novelization goes, I think I may like the Phantom Menace better. But as far as the movies go I like AOTC better. It encompassed more than the first one did, in my opinion. And Jango is definately like Boba, since Boba is a clone of Jango! And considers Jango his father. Like father like son, like self?

23. darthvain

darthvain Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2003
    Isn't it funny how most of us absolutely hated TPM.Yet with time it gets better and better?But do you know why?Because of AOTC!And when Ep3 has been around for a while AOTC will become better because the whole story will be completed...It was planned that way!The OT will be enhanced also because a half completed puzzle makes no sense.Only when all of the pieces are in place do we get the see the beauty of the artist's vision.In other words GL knows exactly what he's doing!

24. darthvain

darthvain Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2003
    ????????????

25. darkmole

darkmole Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 2, 2000
    TPM has aged well. It's a flawed film but I enjoyed it then and still do now. I could never get into AOTC and I get more impatient with it every time I see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.