main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Phantom Menace - Is It Racist?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Tackelberry, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    I don't believe the movies are racist themselves as previously explained, but if someone wants to explore racism 'in-universe' in Star Wars, two racist comments that stand out to me in the saga are:

'Neimoidians are cowards'-Qui-Gon Jinn

'Will somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way'-Leia Organa

Discuss.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Empress Shatterpoint:

you're forgetting "patience my blue friend"

Qui-Gon quite the politically incorrect speaker:p

Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  3. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    Neimodians are Asian
    Gungans are Africans
    Watto is Jewish

Lucas was mining 1930's pulp so it makes sense this type of thing would happen.

4. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Yes, I think we shouldn't underestimate those kind of things. Fact is that people of a minority group are sometimes or a lot of times more sensitive to such things than a majority group because they might experience real racism and discrimination on a daily basis. Sometimes a majority group doesn't act "racist" or discriminatory consciously or with "bad intent", but it might still offend a minortiy group quite intimately.

It's just that, I feel, the usual haters (who're 80% not even part of those alleged "stereotype groups") took that sense of justified resentment and kind of "abused" it as a means of ... bashing like .... everything. George Lucas isn't racist and TPM is not more racist than the original Star Wars with an all-white "good" cast and the "black monster" called Darth Vader. They made some insensitive choices and that's unfortunate and can be said, but they weren't intentionally racist or anything close to that.

That's they way I see it, at least.

Ezon Pin, Andy Wylde and MOC Yak Face like this.
  5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No, he said, "These Federation types are cowards."

Neimoidians is never uttered in the films.

6. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    I agree with Samnz. Racism doesn't have to be blatantly obvious, or even conscious - even someone with genuinely good intentions can perpetuate harmful stereotypes. I'm sure no one making TPM thought, "well, I don't like [black/Jewish/Asian] people, so we should make aliens with stereotypical traits of those groups to be the bad or comic relief characters!" But that doesn't mean that they didn't use character tropes that have racist origins, and that probably should be avoided.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  7. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    The Phantom Menace? Racist......?

[​IMG]

Andy Wylde, Hanyou, SlashMan and 4 others like this.
  8. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    No question is stupid they say... this certainly changes it. o_O

Is it racist? No IMO, and how if it were to be? Can someone explain this to me?

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, he says "These Federation-types are cowards".

10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I hear the KKK use TPM as a recruitment method...

11. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

They've moved on from "Birth Of A Nation"? :p

Andy Wylde and Gamiel like this.
  12. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    No.Such claims just prove how many people try to justify their hate and throw anything at Episodes I-III.
    Let's take it further; aren't Episode IV-VI racist AND sexist ?
    Discuss...
    (I'm joking alright:p)

13. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015

I don't think the Star Wars series is racist, but we have to agree that George Lucas had inspiration to create races and some chacarters from the real life from a lot of places in the world. Some of them are clearly recognizable:

- The british accent plus the nazi uniforms to create the imperial officers;
    - The jedi look like samurais;
    - Watto looks and act like an arab merchant;

But once for all, STAR WARS its not racist.

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  14. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Irish accent.Yes he is from northern Ireland,a place where many of the people think they are English, but that dosn't make his Accent English.

15. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Eh, Neeson seems to be using an English accent for at least part of the Phantom Menace (it does fade in and out) - at the beginning for example. It was pretty much the 'Jedi' accent for a lot of the prequels. I mean, McGregor is Scottish and most certainly not English and his natural accent proves it, but he uses the same accent in the films. And of course as an Englishman I should point out there is no more such a thing as one real 'English accent' than one true 'American Accent' - if you got people from Newcastle, Dorset and Surrey to say the same words you might well end up thinking they're speaking different languages entirely.

KSkywalker and Gamiel like this.
  16. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    One could say that "A New Hope" is racist, which didn't feature any non-white actors or actresses.

darskpine10 and Saga Explorer like this.
  17. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    It even portrayed British man as Evil .:p
    And Episodes IV-VI don't even pass the Bechdel test .

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Ah but the PT does.

19. NowTHISIsPodRacing

NowTHISIsPodRacing Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2015
    I feel the need to say that those who are saying "stop looking for racism" or "anyone who thinks it's racist are the REAL racists" are being a bit nearsighted, and almost borderline condescending.

It never hurts to have a discussion about things like these. Whether you realize it or not, people talking about potential issues like these on a forum doesn't even have much of an impact, sadly. Star Wars will still go on, you'll still enjoy it. TPM will still be considered a bad movie by the majority of reasons besides this. Basically, you have the luxury of being able to ignore it.

It doesn't hurt to actually engage in a discussion to see the other side's argument clearly instead of just writing it off.

Anyway, speaking for myself as a minority... I actually did not find the Gungan/Nemoidian characters that bad .... simply because it was done in a minor, and quite frankly "intentional" fashion that I couldn't even take it seriously enough to even be offended. They used certain caricaturist accents, but didn't really do much else with them, so it wasn't really that bad.

But I can at least see why some would be upset by it. I mean given how some people can experience racism in their lives, whether through bullying or other means - you don't think it makes sense for someone to be sensitive to that kind of stuff?

I mean, if someone decided to literally not watch Star Wars after TPM solely because of its suspect accents, then I would think of it as being an overreaction. But you can't blame someone for at least acknowledging it.

And for those who think people are racist for thinking anything in the media can be racist, I don't know what to say or do, other than simply state how the Nemodian accents are very much similar to caricaturist Asian-mocking accents, and the Gungan accents are often similar to stereo-typical Jamaican accents. Say what you want about them being offensive or not, but this is just some insight. Some people have seen stereotypes or caricatures like this before Star Wars, and some have even witnessed it first hand, so seeing it in a motion picture like that was troubling for them. That's all.

I don't know, I'm just disappointed in this thread.

20. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    OK, I see your point. It's very offensive to say, 'quit being a whiny bitch and seeing racism when there is none' and leaving it as that. Maybe the films aren't overtly racist/bigoted, but someone who had to endure that their whole lives will naturally feel very sensitive about that subject. They will spot it a hell of a lot easier than someone who never had to go through that experience, so their opinions are worth taking in for consideration. Telling them to clam up and sit down is to tell them that their life experience is meaningless to everyone else and that's hurtful.

I mean, yeah, OK, there are people who whine for the sake of whining, but not everyone. Some actually do have a legit point to make. It's perfectly valid to ask why Lucas decided to have the Nemodians speak with a stereotypical Asian accent, or to have Jar-Jar talk in a stereotypical Jamaican accent. His actor might not give two whiffs about it, but others do.

NowTHISIsPodRacing likes this.
  21. NowTHISIsPodRacing

Jan 31, 2015
    Exactly.

Thanks for understanding.

DARTHLINK likes this.
  22. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    I think a part of the problem is that, by asking are the films racist it might be seen to be asking 'is George Lucas racist?'..and probably the two questions are conterminious. Perhaps we should compress the question a little, and understand the difference between being a racist and recognising racial undertones....or to put it another way, to see a distinction between a racist agenda and the notion of racial stereotyping.

Racial stereotyping is, unfortunately, an aspect of our societies and to varying degrees appears in our media. It is a very, very old phenomenon - one might like to believe that ALL 'Scythians' or 'Germans' were, at the time of the classical Greeks and Romans tall, blonde hair and blue-eyed (as they describe them ALL as being) but evidence suggests otherwise. We tend to define 'out groups' by what is different about them, and the very idea of nation-hood is based upon a very old passage of Herodotus defining what makes Hellenes Hellenes "We are of one blood and one language" - hence Nationalism and racism being so intertwined in a political sense.

If we look at the references Lucas is using..Flash Gordon, for example. Who is Flash Gordon's nemesis? Emperor Ming......Emperor MIng for crying out loud. It is clearly intended as a nod toward, those older referents....but that those older references are themselves laced with racial stereotyping which seem far more out of place to a modern audience/

I think using alien species is replete with this danger anyway...in as much as, as with much of the 'fantasy' genre, there is an aspect of 'this group of beings/peoples are like this', a sort of typology of species so that all members of the species/race become a particular sort of character ("These Trade Federation types are cowards..")

Are there aspects of racial stereotyping in Star Wars? I think it would be ridiculous to argue otherwise.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

The Planet of Hats problem, and its various spin-offs:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlanetOfHats

24. NowTHISIsPodRacing

Jan 31, 2015
    The part specifically about Flash Gordon is good point, and why I wasn't upset about the films even though I noticed caricatures were present.

TPM used stereotypes/caricatures in an "innocent" manner; they weren't trying to use them to specifically make fun of other ethnic groups, and proof of that is shown by how the stereotypes were used out of their regular contexts (that is, caricaturist accents were the only things used; nothing else stereotypical was used for the characters, so it wasn't really bringing everything "whole" enough for it be a genuinely hateful or racist thing).

So yeah, I didn't find it bad or anything, but I still understand why some could be a little bit uncomfortable.

25. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Being Jewish I do not find Watto Offensive at all. But he is a flying anteater/pig thing who lives on a desert planet, I also actually love the way Toydarian culture is fleshed out in the Clone Wars series, King Kattunka was a cool character.

darskpine10 likes this.