main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ The Phantom Menace on DVD

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kitt327, Oct 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    > $50 @ Whitcoulls.

It's $45 at the Warehouse, but you only get to enter one competition since the other one is Whitcoulls only (I got mine from Whitcoulls so I could try and win the DVD player).

I decided to get the Battlestar Galactica DVD from the Warehouse while I was at it. I also considered getting the Stargate SG-1 (Volume 1) too, but I decided I'd spent enough for one week - maybe I'll get that after the Visa bill comes through next week, then I'll have another month before I have to actually pay for it. :)

2. Darth Sebious

Darth Sebious Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 21, 2000
    I'm almost certain it will be the Episode II trailer. It fits the release schedule, and we've been getting various trailer release reports for awhile now. And starwars.com don't usually announce future features in that sort of manner ("Oh, and check back on November 9th"). If it's not the trailer, it's something else big.

Anyway, the DVD is great! :D I'd suggest the documentary "The Beginning" as the first thing to watch. It chronicles the making of TPM from early '97 until the release, and contains video from things like Ewan getting his padawan haircut and choosing his lightsaber, the final Anakin screentests and a script readthrough. There's even a sequence where Steven Spielberg visits the set and examines a full sized battledroid. By far the best behind the scenes look at a movie I've ever seen.

The deleted scenes are better than I thought they'd be. Some of the effects aren't quite as good as others in the movie, but that doesn't matter, it's great to see them all completed.

3. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I'm sleepy and bleary eyed right now, from too much Phantom Menace DVD. I was at my friend's place from 6pm til 10, and I still have nowhere near seen everything. I didn't even get to watch the movie.

My favourite part so far is definately the blooper reel. Especially when Yoda forgets his lines. "Can we cut George" LOL

Watching The Beginning Documentary, I couldn't help but wish they'd captured all those moments during the classic trilogy. But in some ways it's probably better, because some of it did destroy the illusion a little bit.

For instance, there's one scene where Ray Park, in full Darth Maul get up, comes on set, and he and George shake hands, and George says, "You're looking good this morning," and Ray says something like "Yeah, I'm feeling good." Not very Darth Maulish. :D

The best bit was probably Ewan getting a haircut. And, and definately the final shot. Cool stuff. Oh, and the bit where George describes his directing style. "I say four things. Action, Cut, Faster and More Intense. The rest of the time, I sit there and look miserable."

4. Darth Sebious

Apr 21, 2000
    Ah yes, Yoda forgetting his line is hillarious. I liked the behind the scenes shots of the Naboo Yoda scene, too. Cool to see Frank Oz at work.

Artoo really gets in trouble during the bloopers reel :D

5. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    Someone on the Usenet Newsgroups just asked me this ...

Did your Disc 1 wind up with scratches? Apparently every Zone 4 DVD of TPM in NZ wound up with Disc 1 scratches.

I just check my Disk 1 and there do seem to be a slight scrathes on the bottom-right corner of the non-printed side (when holding it up the right way for the printed side) - are those what you mean??

They're only slight, so shouldn't cause any playback problems at all.

Has anyone else's Disk 1 got scratches??
    Do they affect playback at all??

:(

6. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    lets get this straight, is there really 6 hours of footage in addition to the actual movie in the dvd set? if so that is prettydamm good value, pity i don't have a dvd player.............i shall put in an order to the library AV suite, they have a pretty large dvd collection....

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Yes. 6 hours of "extra" footage. This is over and above The Phantom Menace movie.

And if you were to watch the TPM Movie with the different voice-over commentaries (no hidden Mystery Theater 3000, sadly) by Lucas, etc, apparently there's 10 hours worth of entertainment (?) over and above the "standard" TPM movie.

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    SFL;
    "soooo whens this "afternoon of pizza, beer, TPM DVD and all in all GOOD TIMES?! this labour weekend?! "

Depends on how your study / assignments are going, really.

Maybe we should wait until after exams...?!

9. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    damm you guys, i actually went and purchased this about 30 minutes ago, and i don't even own a dvd player! i am going to get so much hassle from people, if they find out.....but that 6 hours was too tempting

10. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Cripes I haven't got my copy yet, but I'm facing a problem. My flatmate (who has a dvd player in his laptop) only has zone 1 at the moment. Silly thing is the player is muti-zoned but you can only change the zone about 6 times and then it's stuck (we're outa changes). So soon i'll have everything except for the stupid zone.

11. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    You can hire a DVD player from your local Video Ezy or United Video. I'm not sure about the prices though, they must be pretty reasonable, because I'm always seeing people wandering down the street carrying them when I'm waiting at the Video Ezy corner lights.

Trust me, it's worth it for the blooper reel alone.

12. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    That Samsung combination DVD and VHS machine is only $1,099.99 at Noel Leemings. :(

It's not a bad machine though. A 6-head VCR and twin-laser DVD player all in the one box - that means only one power socket and one connection to the TV (I assuming).

Has anyone else checked their Episode I DVDs - are they slightly scratched too?? ?[face_plain]

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    SWNZ, <whisper mode> DVD Genie</whisper mode>

14. Jitters

Jitters Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2001
    Went down to Warehouse (Tory St, Wellington) buy the DVD, but the've had their consignment recalled, and replacement not due till the 23rd.

Maybe due to the scratches mentioned. So I got mine from Dick Smith instead. Hopefully their batch is alright. Price was $44.95 as well.

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    My disc 1 has a segment about 5cm x 2cm with small scratches on it.

Hasn't affected playback yet - but I've not watched much of Disc 1.

16. Darth Sebious

Apr 21, 2000
    I got mine from Whitcoulls, and at the time, a couple of the staff were complaining to each other about dirt or scratches on the discs. They were cleaning every single one (and there were a lot of them). Looking at mine now, there are a few tiny scratches scattered across it, but they haven't been a problem.

And if you were to watch the TPM Movie with the different voice-over commentaries (no hidden Mystery Theater 3000, sadly) by Lucas, etc, apparently there's 10 hours worth of entertainment (?) over and above the "standard" TPM movie.

I've only heard one audio commentary in which Lucas, McCallum, Burtt, Knoll, Coleman, Muren and Squires all speak. Clicking the "Audio Commentary" option has just brought up the same one each time, no additional ones. But if there are any more, I'd love to hear how to access them :D

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    No, there's probably just the one audio commentary. That will add the running time of TPM onto the 6 or so hours of bonus footage, which brings it up around 9 or so (quoting the "10 hours" thing from the NZ Herald yesterday).

Looks like us DVD-ROM users can't access some of the easter eggs :(

But we can access the DVD.starwars.com site, so things even out! :)

JC "DVD HELP DESK" thread; http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=4381848&replies=73

18. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    i got the scratches too, however the staff were well aware of them, so there shouldn' t be anyproblem in getting it replaced if it does turn out to be a fatal flaw

i watched the deleted scenes yesterday as soon as i could, had to borrow a mates' player.....damm some of the scenes were crap...although i did like the extended pod race..............i watched it on a brand new dvd player and brand new flatscreen tv, damm it was superb, only thing was though that because the dvd is so clear, and the tv so new some of the cgi actually looked a little fake, in a way that it didn't on vhs or vcd...still, worth every penny

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I watched the bloopers on my PC DVD-Rom this morning. R2 really is a pesky little droid. Great blooper with Yoda too.

If I recall, I used Disc 1, started the movie, then brought up the DVD menu with a right click - went to TITLE 15, and chose Chapter 1 (I think, there are only 2 choices under TITLE 15 anyway)...

20. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    For those who don't want to buy the DVD (or want two copies), there's a competition giving away five copies in this week's e.g. was part of yesterday's New Zealand Herald.

All you have to do is write your name and address on the back of an envelope and send it to:
    Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
    e.g.
    New Zealand Herald
    PO Box 3290
    AUCKLAND

Entries close: 25 October.
    Winners announced: 1 November.

There was also a very brief article which didn't say too much, except ...
    Willow is set to follow later this year.

and ...
    For starters that two-disc set features more than eight hours of material. Subtract the typical two-hour film time and you still have more than six hours of additional material (10 hours of material if you want to count the extra audio commentary feature).

21. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    ohh willow!

22. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    I want to know when we getting Howard the Duck on DVD. :)

Or even better, the Star Wars Holiday Special. :D

I was just reading yesterday's local paper and saw The Video Shop in the Westfield Shoppingtown Glenfield (Auckland) is having a sale with 15% off all DVDs - including Episode I ($42.45). The sale is for five days, 18-22 October.

23. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    I'm gonna wait for all this hype to die down before I get my DVD, then I can watch it in peace and quiet.

I want Labyrinth on DVD. battlestar would be cool to.

24. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    I got the Battlestar Galactica DVD from the Warehouse for $39.95. It's the "original, full-length feature film" (119mins).

According to the box, the "special features" are:
    • Original Widescreen presentation

• Production notes

• Cast and Filmaker's notes

• Universal weblink

So it's not quite in the same league as the Episode I DVD. :)

There's another competition attached to this DVD as well - you could win a Sony HS1 Home Theatre Projector worth $6390 or one of ten $400 DVD packs.

I'm not sure if they've started doing the full TV series onto DVD yet though.

25. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    well, whitcoulls has started giving out student discounts now:) they didn't use to

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.