main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY The Picnic Strikes Back

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by LadySith, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    Ok so here is the retun of a great idea now much more doable.

End of summer picnic BBQ in a park less than 15 minutes from the GWB in NJ

Facilites fully insured for 50 people or under. Over 50 requires a FREE permit to be gotten the day of. Parking 4 dollars per car.

The catch we need to ge there EARLY because the park fills up and we wil need a hold harmless releasing SWNYC from any liability.

So who is up for this?

This is an open invitation to ALL people in this area regardless of if you are a member of SWNYC or not. We do need to preregister if there will be over 20 people.

So let's pick a Sat and go for it!

2. TheForceNYC

TheForceNYC Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2002
    That sounds like a good idea. I just need to get there from the PATH in Hoboken, that's all. Any Saturday is good for me!

3. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    Yes... yes. How early is "early" ? :)

4. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    Actually the buere is a bus from NYC that runs to the park. I will be scouting out the park and gathering more bus info in the next week. I will post my findings here.

5. thechairguy

thechairguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    Why Jersey? Kind of defeats the purpose of Star Wars NYC? Will you be inviting NJ based fan-groups as well?

6. RickJediKnight

RickJediKnight Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2000
    Well Chairguy/gal, ( your profile says femail BTW) New Jersey, as everyone knows it is just a suburd of NY.

-

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well Chairguy/gal, ( your profile says femail BTW) New Jersey, as everyone knows it is just a suburd of NY.

I take offense to that. I may have to work here, but they get not one cent of my taxes! :)

8. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Wow, alot of misinformation. Allow me to clear it up.

NJ is a state of it's own. Compare car insurance rates. We stand alone.

As far as NJ fan clubs attending, you needent worry. As leader of the NNJSeperatists I can tell you that the non-SWNYC jersey based members are few and far between. When you factor in availability and desire to go, the number dwindles even more. If 3 or 4 members from NJ show up, it'll be a miracle.

We here in the Garden State welcome all visitors. Tell you what. On the day of the BBQ we won't even charge you to use the Bridge or Tunnels!

If someone has an issue with NJ or it's people, or it's status in the union, that is fine. I would be happy to clear things up.
    I just hope those people aren't football fans.

Doctors orders: Take this post with a grain of salt and a deep breath. Call me whenever.

9. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Count me in

:D

Cj

10. Lieutenant Piett

Lieutenant Piett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    Fine idea Chris! This "buere" from NYC to this park -- on this, all depends. For me at least.

Howzabout Sat. Aug. 31, or if you really want to acknowledge the end of Summer, Sept. 14...?

11. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    "Why Jersey? Kind of defeats the purpose of Star Wars NYC?"

Chairguy do you even have one iota of interest in attending this? You have stated time and again you have no interest in being part of our club and it's activities. But If that is the case, why do you care if we have it in NJ or in New Mexico? To the best of my knowledge there are no parks in Manhattan that allow open fires for grilling. There is also the question of permits and insurance in NYC. This park is closer to NYC than many of our NY members
    live. The picnic location has been chosen based on cost, requirements and accessibility.

"Will you be inviting NJ based fan-groups as well?"

OK, since you obviously did not bother to READ my original post here it is again.

THIS IS AN OPEN INVITATION TO ALL PEOPLE IN THIS AREA REGARDLESS OF A MEMBER OF SWNYC OR NOT.

So yeah the NJ groups and any others who wish to attend are welcome.

We WILL need payment IN ADVANCE to cover food. I was burned and cheated out of a total of 80.00 bucks last time by two people, so we can no longer layout money with the promise of being paid the day of the event. :(

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We WILL need payment IN ADVANCE to cover food. I was burned and cheated out of a total of 80.00 bucks last time by two people, so we can no longer layout money with the promise of being paid the day of the event.

That sucks! I can sick my bank's hounds on them if you'd like...

<Seinfeld>RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!</Seinfeld>

13. DruKalita

DruKalita Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2002
    This park is closer to NYC than many of our NY members live.

Yes, it's close to what I would call the ***-end of Manhattan. It takes me at least two hours to get there from my house in Brooklyn, even during the day.

Count me out. And it'll probably be on a weekend where I'm unavailable anyway. ::shrug:: Have fun, or whatever.

14. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    Well if it takes you that long to get there Dru than pretty much anything we do in Manhattan would be a pain.

15. Mayhem

Mayhem Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Do you need a liscense to have a plain picnic in Central Park? It doesn't have to be a BBQ? I always see tons of families roaming and bs'ing around in Central Park and people have been sitting around having what seems to be a traditional picnic. (Cold food is nice on a hot day besides, if you ask me)

16. VLAmidala

VLAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2001
    you hafta get a permit from the parks department to hold an event in any nyc park.

::shrug::

17. JawaBerry

JawaBerry Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2002
    And from what i know that is not hard.

18. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    And the date of this will be....?

19. Mayhem

Mayhem Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    What do they consider an "EVENT"? A certain number of people? The fact that this was set up through a website? The fact that we would have food?

20. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    Ok this is NOT going to be a debate over what is hard and not hard about holding a picnic in NYC.

In NYC:
    For parties over 19 you need a permit.
    No Grilling.
    The NYC parks are NOT covered for liability with events requiring permits therefore you hold them at your own risk. Meaning you don't HAVE to have liability insurance, but you had better, because if someone breaks a leg during the picnic SWNYC would be liablee

The park we have ALREADY CHOSEN
    DOES NOT require a permit for parties under 50
    Over 50 pepple checks in with the park rangers that's it.
    Does allow grilling (this was expressed as disirable by many of our members)
    and most important
    THE PICNIC AREA CARRIES IT'S OWN LIABILITY INSURANCE. SWNYC will have hold harmless waivers anyway people who participate in will need to sign but in the event something DOES happen the area is already covered.

NOW..

No one has to go that does not wish to, so please let's knock off the debates and comments about what can and can't be done in NY the venue has been settled on.

SO....

I can get someone to cook for us for the day what would everyone like to see on the menu.
    We can do all veggies for those of us who prefer to go meatless.

EDIT: Mayhem my comments are not directed at you but at those who can't seem to let things die.

21. JawaBerry

Jul 30, 2002
    Ok well, not to harp on it, but i'm still confused. If you're gonna have people sign a waiver to clear swnyc, then what's the difference if the park has insurance or not? As long as nobody's gonna sue you guys, then we could attend at our own risk if it was in an nyc park without insurance, right? What would there be to be afraid of?

22. DruKalita

DruKalita Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2002
    Well if it takes you that long to get there Dru than pretty much anything we do in Manhattan would be a pain.

I'm a little unclear on your sense of geography... you say 15 minutes from the GWB, so I assume it's in that area of NJ....

Travel time from my house to Midtown Manhattan: 50-60 minutes

Travel time from Midtown to Fort Washington: 20-30 minutes

Travel time to New Jersey from there: ???

Be more specific about where this park is, and maybe I'll whine a bit less. ::changing gears::

And if you're going to insist on holding outdoor events in NJ, then I humbly request we try for parks that are near public transportation (PATH train, or NJ Transit buses and trains leaving from Penn Station or the PA). ESPECIALLY since not all of us have cars.

This is for future reference.

23. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    Jawa,

Because if someone DOES get hurt while at the park covered by insurance, they have recourse and an insured party that may cover the costs of their injury. Without that, either their waiver might be declared invalid or the courts might try and find a way to make SOME party responsible for the injury; even if it's making individuals personally responsible. Since this park covers insurance there is a place for people to turn if they need to make a claim.

Mike C.

24. JawaBerry

Jul 30, 2002
    Uh,...?

That sounds very assumptive and ridiculously paranoid, and well, wrong. If someone goes to a park knowingly at their own risk, and signs a waiver on top, then what court in the land would render the waiver invalid? Signing it is an overt act. It would clearly hold. There's no reason to think that anyone is responsible for what happens to you in a park other than yourself, especially if you sign off on that fact. And thanks for your concern, but I'd rather be responsible for myself in a park nearby than go very far out of my way to go to a park that someone else theorizes (without being sure) that I could sue if I wanted to later. Plus, do we know exactly what this park's insurance does cover? What are we afraid will happen anyway?

Sounds like alot of legal paranoia and too much trouble without real facts. I'd probably sit it out on that basis. But have fun, guys. I don't want to dwell on it.

25. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    I spoke to LadySith about where this park is and from where I live, which is right near Dru. by Public transportation it would take about an hour and a half.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.