St. Lou, MO The Pirates of the Caribbean STLFF Thread: Discuss the movie or talk like a pirate!!

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Commander_Faofa, Dec 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    WHOO-HOOO!! Pirates of the Caribbean is out on DVD, and the DVD Rocks!! Jack Sparrow rules!! What a character.

Well, this thread is for those who want to let the pirate in themselves out into the open, and to discuss the movie Pirates of the Caribbean, which, in my opinion, is one of the best movies in the world (next to Star Wars and LOTR of course).

BTW, the DVD has some of the best features you'll ever find on any DVD, including outtakes, deleted scenes (19 of 'em!), and history of Pirates, which really appealed to me, being a fencer and Renaissance guy. ;)

Well how do you like the movie? And for those who are lucky enough to get the DVD before Christmas (which, btw, I won't spoil anything on the DVD, at least I'll try not to... ;) ), how did you like the DVD?

Drink up me hearties, Yo-Ho! :D
  2. Jedi_Tabee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    spoil the DVD and I'll hunt you down and hurt you :mad:

I'm getting it for Christmas :D

I think... I hope... maybe need to make more obvious hints to my parents..

Arrrrrr....

3. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    I'm going to "borrow" the copy I get Randy for Christmas. He open a game he got me for christmas once so I'm returning the favor 3 years later.
  4. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Aye Maties. Me copy for me boyfriend, the scallywag, just arrived in the mail. Plannin' on watchin' it this night.

Man it's hard to talk like a pirate. I keep wanting to slip a little Spanish in there, sounds so similar. Me copiar por me novio llega ahora..... you get the idea.
  5. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't worry, I won't spoil the DVD. I have a bunch of friends that haven't seen the DVD yet. I'm not going to be like some guys I know that tell me that Jango gets his head cut off before I get to see the movie... ;)

Just got done listening to one of the commentaries with Johnny Depp and Gore Verbinski. Very funny, and very interesting.

Dajuan, it be not hard t' talk like a pirate! It's actually quite simple, but alas, it's difficult t' type like one!
  6. dudeman Jedi Knight

star 3
    lol jcf, but yes, a great movie, im gonna get it for christmas as well, not sure if im getting dvd or vhs though, my "secret santa" called and asked what i wanted
  7. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
  8. Jedi_Tabee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    there are actor commentaries?! YAYAY! I love actor commentaries :D

yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me..

drink me up 'earties yo ho! :D
  9. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Yo ho ho Orlando Bloom for me!
  10. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    Same with my sister, aye. She only saw it for Turner..

There are two commentaries, one with the one I stated above and others include Keira Knightley And Jack Davenport, Producer Jerry Bruckheimer, Screenwriters Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio and Stuart Beattie and Jay Wolpert.

Curse you scalywags, I can't spoil the deleted scenes or the outtakes!! Mangy dogs... ;)
  11. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Savy, I love that word, savy? Orlando Bloom Savy, I really feel for all of you watching LotR with me, as soon as savy Legolas is on screen I go nuts, savy? If Will/Orlando were there, it would be a Pirates life for me, savy?

Savy Savy Savy... Phew I feel better now.
  12. Jedi_Tabee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *shifty eyes*

savvy ;)

we're drinkers and blighters and never-do-wells
    but we're loved by our mummys and dads
    drink me up 'earties yo ho!
    Yo ho, yo ho! A pirates life for me!

I think I mixed 2 verses together.. but those are the only ones I remember..

or.. and osmething about pillaging... *shrugs*

arrrr...
  13. Dagobah_Diva Force Ghost

star 4
    I used to have a black lab named Savvy...what a stupid dog she was.
  14. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Savvy has two v's savvy. Got it. Now to just slip that into conversations today with out Randy figuring out that I got him Pirates for christmas AND that I already watched. Savvy?
  15. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    Aye, the word is savvy, and it's practically the pirate's way of saying OK, etc.

Did you lads and lassies know that they be writin' not one, but two new POTC movies? That is definitely savvy.

Here be ye Pirate lingo for today:

Ahoy! - "Hello!"

Avast! - Stop and give attention. It can be used in a sense of
    surprise, "Whoa! Get a load of that!" which today makes it more of
    a "Check it out" or "No way!" or "Get off!"

Aye! - "Why yes, I agree most heartily with everything you just said
    or did."

Aye aye! - "I'll get right on that sir, as soon as my break is over."

Arrr! - This one is often confused with arrrgh, which is of course the
    sound you make when you sit on a belaying pin. "Arrr!" can mean,
    variously, "yes," "I agree," "I'm happy," "I'm enjoying this beer,"
    "My team is going to win it all," "I saw that television show, it
    sucked!" and "That was a clever remark you or I just made." And
    those are just a few of the myriad possibilities of Arrr!

Here's some bonus Pirate words for today:
    Belay - Used in the imperative as an order to stop. ie: Belay there!
    Blimey! - Used to express frustration, better sounding than a curse word. ;)
    Bucko - A friend, pal, buddy.
    Dead men tell no tales - Phrase used to explain why pirates leave no survivors.
    Gangway! - Used to clear a passage through a crowded area. We sometimes still use this one today.
    Hang the jib - To look ill-tempered or annoyed. To pout.
    He?s gone to Davy Jones?s locker He's dead. (Davy Jones's locker is also the bottom of the sea).
    Me hearties - My Comrade; boon companion; good fellow; used as a familiar address and fellowship among sailors. Pirate captains often refer to their entire crew this way.
    Shiver me timbers! - An frequently used expression of surprise.
    Sink me! - Another expression of surprise.
    Smartly - Quickly.
    Splice the Mainbrace! - To have a drink, or perhaps several.
    Yo-ho-ho - Completely meaningless, but nevertheless, a great phrase to say.

I looked these up to see if they were right, and most of the references I used were papers I got from good-ol' Ren Faire. :D
  16. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Super savvy if Orlando Bloom is in the new ones. Savvy?
  17. Jedi_Tabee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    he is, him, Johnny and Kiera are all already signed up to be in the sequel.

it's amazing the stuff I know ;)

besides, they had to sign Johnny up, Capt. Jack Sparrow belongs to Johnny, not Disney, who's goina go see a pirate movie without Capt. Jack?

Arrr...
  18. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
  19. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    A couple girls in my writing class told me that Bloom is Gay!! This is horrible for me, my chances with him just went right out the window! Guess I'll have to go back to Ewan McGregor.
  20. Jedi_Tabee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    isn't Ewan married?

and a friend of mine is convinced Orli is gay too, I could care less, I owuldn't have a chance with him anyway :p

sides, as long as he still stays in movies and gets his pic taken... I don't care about his sexuality :p

EDIT: forgot my pirate talk:

Arrrr...
  21. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    You know, a lot o' people say that Bloom be gay, but I don't really believe that. I saw some special on him and he had his beauty with him on one o' t' interviews with the boy walkin' down a street. I saw it a while back.
  22. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Th' deleted scence an' th' blooper real be funny. Th' face they make on the Bloopers, savvy! yo ho yo ho a pirate's life fer me!
  23. Darthtrader Jedi Master

star 1
    I didn't like the movie that much.The first 30 or 40 minutes were OK after that
    I couldn't wait for the thing to get over.
  24. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    Blimey! There be a traitor to the pirate pub!! Walk the plank with ye, DarthTrader, and go down to see ol' Davy Jones's locker!! ;)
  25. Jedi_Tabee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    why didn't you like it?

and I have a question.. why is it "Davey Jones' Locker"? what did the singer of the Monkees do to get the bottom of the sea named after his locker?! I don't get it..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.