main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Plan for Power - about 300 years before TPM

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Marna_Veign, Nov 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marna_Veign

Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    The Plan for Power
    By Marna_Veign

Tahsh Hapay?s practice lightsaber cast a green glow in the dimly lit arena. Blocks lay scattered around on the floor, and Tahsh knew that Jonathan Dartanus was in there somewhere. Though she wore no blindfold, she could not see. She had her eyes closed. During the long duel she was fighting, the dim lights had played tricks with her vision. Jonathan knew how to hide in the shadows and had caught her off-guard more than once. He had nearly gotten her the last time, and so she no longer trusted her eyes. She trusted only in the Force.

As she reached out with the Force, she felt the attack come from behind her. She spun, blocking the red blade. She returned the attack, driving Jonathan backward. He leapt over a block, and on top of another. Then, he vaulted over her. As his lightsaber swung toward her head, she ducked and rolled. She swung her blade around and it connected with his left arm, midway between the wrist and elbow, leaving an angry red burn on the skin. Then, she swung it around the other way and hit his side.

?Ouch! Tahsh!? Jonathan called out, grabbing for the burn on his arm.

The silence of the arena melted away to the cheers of the watching crowd, and the lights came up. Tahsh opened her eyes, seeing Jonathan holding his arm tenderly. A voice rang out.

?Won the match, Tahsh Hapay has.?

Tahsh smiled, recognizing the odd way that Master Yoda always spoke. She bowed to Jonathan, who did not return the bow.

?A match fairly won, Johnny.? She told him with a smile, attaching the practice lightsaber to her belt.

?You know I don?t like to be called that, Tahsh. You had your eyes closed again, didn?t you??

Tahsh?s crooked smile was the only answer he needed. A deep anger rose inside him. He hated it when she fought with her eyes closed. He hated it when she called him Johnny. Jonathan hated that she had just cost him the last chance he had to become a Jedi Knight. Jonathan grew ever more angry at Tahsh. This was supposed to be his victory. He was the one the crowd was supposed to be cheering for, not her. The more he thought, the greater the anger became. Finally, he could stand there no longer.

As Tahsh stood taking in the cheers of the crowd, Jonathan acted. He lunged at her, igniting his red blade. Tahsh turned toward him just before he could reach her with the lightsaber. There was no time for her to pull her saber again to deflect the attack. Realizing this herself, Tahsh focused in the Force. As Jonathan swung his lightsaber down toward Tahsh, she reached in and grabbed his hands, keeping the lightsaber from hitting her. Holding on to Jonathan, Tahsh rolled backwards and placed her feet on his gut, flipping him over to land on the floor above her head. She let him go and got to her feet quickly, igniting her green practice blade to defend herself from another attack that did not come. Jonathan lay unconscious on the floor, head bleeding where it had hit a block. Tahsh had a sinking feeling in her gut as she looked at her fallen friend.

?Oh, Jonathan. What have I done?? she said to herself.

Five Jedi ran into the arena to where Jonathan lay. One of them was Inga Sjari, the Jedi Tahsh and Jonathan had been dueling for. As the healers took Jonathan away, Inga stood behind Tahsh, gentle hands on the girl?s shoulders. Tahsh reached up and held one of the hands that lay on her shoulder. After the healers were gone, Inga spoke.

?Come, Tahsh Hapay. We should talk.?

One student in the Jedi Temple always seemed to stand out from the rest. Not because he was particularly unusual looking, or that he was especially good with mastering the Force, but because the sandy haired boy had absolutely no connection with the Force. And now, he hurried through the hallways to the healers, where he spent most of his time. Dayne knew better than to run. As it was, he did not really belong at the Jedi Temple. But he was allowed to be there, learning what he could about becoming a medic. By the time Dayne arrived in the med center of the Jedi Temple,

2. corellian_chic242

corellian_chic242 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 17, 2003
    Great writing, Marna! :D I can't wait to read more of this.

3. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    yeah cool. Especially the saber moves in the beginnig.

4. Marna_Veign

Jan 31, 2002
    I'm a bit anxious to get more posted...I have 48 pages written and sitting on my comp! Here's a bit more, but not all I sent to you, Cece. ;)

Eleven years later . . .

Captain Slader stood before the Royal Family on Neuterian. Being Captain of the Royal Security Force, he was concerned about Palace Security. Saboteurs had been getting into the palace grounds and causing problems. He believed they were getting in through the Gardens, but he could not determine where or how. Slader presented to King Agmel an idea that he believed was long overdue and that would help find the intruders and stop the sabotage.

?Holocams, Your Majesty.? Slader told them. ?If we were to install holocams at various locations around the palace grounds, my men could detect how the intruders get in and we can stop them.?

Jerill Durrango, aid to twenty-year-old Crown Prince Imalka, stood to address the King.

?Your Majesty, I do not believe it necessary to spend the money for the holocams. I ask you, how will that stop the saboteurs? I propose we put the grounds on lock-down until the guards determine where they enter and block it off.?

?If I may, Your Majesty,? Slader said, glancing at Jerill, ?the cams will make it possible to learn where they are coming in, if there is thorough coverage. People can easily duck away from guards, but not so with holocams.?

King Agmel thought. After a short time, he stood.

?Captain Slader, I grant your request. Install the holocams.?

Jerill looked over at Crown Prince Imalka. It was up to Imalka to stop his father from ruining everything. Imalka caught the hint in Jerill?s gaze and spoke.

?Father, please do not put any holocams at the Grotto Pool. I love swimming there. It will take away from my pleasure if I am being watched.?

?So be it.? Agmel said. ?Let holocams be placed among the Gardens, leaving the Grotto Pool as it is. There are to be no holorecordings of the pool so as to not offend the Royal Family.?

Captain Slader bowed and left. Imalka requested to be excused and left with Jerill. They were soon joined by Jerill?s servant, Dee, and the three walked together to the Gardens, heading for the Grotto Pool. They spoke of trivial things until they neared their destination.

The Grotto was Imalka?s favorite place in the Gardens. High cliffs rose above the natural looking pool. A waterfall poured into the pool at the far end, creating a feeling of peace. At the near end of the pool, where the trail entered the Grotto, runoff water formed a stream about a meter deep that flowed beside the path. When they were sure they were alone, Jerill got serious.

?We have to get rid of him, My Prince. He could ruin everything.? Jerill told Imalka, destroying the peace Imalka always felt in the Grotto.

?How do you mean ?get rid of him?? You mean kill my father??

Jerill nodded. Imalka could hardly believe what was going on. He knew that the success of Jerill?s plan depended on the entrance through the Gardens, but kill King Agmel because he allows the holocams to be installed?

?King Agmel is determined to stop the plan from going forth. He doesn?t care about who is responsible for the sabotage. He doesn?t care about the clues that have been left implying that pirate group. If he doesn?t blame the pirates, then all is lost. I need to get in a situation where I can prove to Agmel that I am a good diplomat. A good advisor. He is not taking the bait, and therefore, he has to go.?

Imalka was speechless. His trusted aid was serious about this. Jerill turned to Dee.

?I want you to go to the lake castle and retrieve the vial in my bed chamber. You know the one I mean.? Jerill stated.

?Yes. I do as you request, Jerill.? Dee responded.

Dee pressed a section of wall behind the waterfall and a door opened, revealing a passage that lead outside the Palace grounds. He ducked inside and the door closed behind him, disappearing completely into the cliff face.

?Agmel needs to be eliminated, and I know how and when it will be done.? Jerill told Imalka.

?You told me nobod

5. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    Interesting.

?You told me nobody would get hurt if I went along with you on this.? Imalka complained.

?Things change.?

....Reminds me of Lando's conversation with Darth Vader.

6. Marna_Veign

Jan 31, 2002
    Yeah, I admit that Vader was a little inspiration for Jerill Durrango. :D I am glad you enjoy it.

7. Master_Sword

Master_Sword Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2003
    Interesting. I like it so far. Keep it up.

8. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    Very good story so far Marna!!

9. corellian_chic242

Feb 17, 2003
    My thoughts exactly, KoS. It definitely reflects that scene.

Once again, great work, Marna! :)

10. Marna_Veign

Jan 31, 2002
    Thanks all. Here's more of the tale. For a while, I am going to try to post some at least a few times a week, though later, when I get closer to the part that I'm still working on, it's going to be less often.

--------------------------------------------

The next day, the Royal Palace was bustling with activity. King Agmel had ordered a celebration for his fiftieth birthday. Guests were arriving, and the Royal Family and their advisors were to meet in a reception room before entering the banquet hall for the feast. Jerill paced in his room, waiting for Egan to return, knowing that if he waited much longer, he would be late. Finally, the servant?s passage opened, and Egan stepped through.

?I?m sorry, sir. I hurried.? Egan said, handing over a small silver vial.

Jerill placed it in a pocket and ran toward the reception room. As he neared the room, he slowed to a walk and intercepted a tray with six goblets of wine intended for a customary toast to the King. He looked at the six goblets on the tray. Each person in the Royal party had their own traditional goblet marking their rank. Jerill placed the tray down for a moment and pulled the vial from his pocket. He emptied the powdery contents into King Agmel?s glass and it blended with the drink instantly. After putting the vial back into his pocket, he continued to the reception room. King Agmel was there already, standing next to Queen Scathia, who was wearing an extravagant red gown. Chief Advisor Darian Thamas and Advisor Shamos Dunn stood nearby. Imalka paced nervously until he saw Jerill enter the room. Jerill passed the wine to the five others in the reception room and took his own goblet. Once everybody had received their wine, Jerill spoke, raising his goblet.

?A toast to His Majesty, King Agmel. May he have good fortune and his loved ones near all the remainder of his days.?

?To King Agmel!? everybody repeated before drinking their wine.

King Agmel glanced at a timepiece in the room. When he spoke, his voice boomed throughout the room.

?My dear family and close advisors, it is now time to join our guests.?

They all placed their goblets on end tables in the area and headed for the banquet hall. King Agmel offered his arm to Queen Scathia, their personal advisors walking behind, Imalka and Jerill trailing behind the group.

?Did you do it?? Imalka asked Jerill quietly.

Jerill nodded without turning his head to look at the Crown Prince.

?It will take effect by the end of the feast.?

The waiters served the meal in five courses to the many guests whom King Agmel had invited to join him on his birthday. After the final course was nearly finished, maidens served wine to all as King Agmel prepared to give a speech. He stood and addressed the group.

?My dear friends, I thank you all for the years of service you have given. I thank you all for your support and . . . ugh.?

King Agmel suddenly felt a pain in his chest. He bent over, leaning on the table for support with one hand, the other hand to his heart. He breathed deeply for a moment, and the pain eased. King Agmel straightened, noticing the concerned look on everyone?s faces. He started again.

?I thank you for your friendship. As you all know, today I . . . Arg!?

King Agmel felt the pain again, this time, so intense that he fell atop the table and to the floor. Everyone around him stood. Queen Scathia bent over him, not caring if her gown got dirty. She sat on the floor beside him.

?Get a medic.? she ordered Jerill.

He gladly left the scene, knowing a medic would do no good. King Agmel would be dead in minutes. He ran to the infirmary, contacting them on his comlink on the way.

?Arik, King Agmel?s collapsed! We need to get a medical team to the Banquet Hall, now!? he told the chief medic, false concern in his voice.

?We?re on our way.? Arik answered calmly.

As Jerill continued to the Infirmary, he came across the team heading to the Banquet Hall.

?What happened to King Agmel? I need details.? Arik asked Jerill.

?I don?t know. He stood to give his sp

11. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    ...oh...thats not good...

UP!

12. Marna_Veign

Jan 31, 2002
    Hey, gotta have some opposition. ;) Gives my heroes something to do.

13. Master_Sword

Sep 29, 2003
    Wow. Pretty treacherous of that guy... this is becoming more and more interesting. :D

14. corellian_chic242

Feb 17, 2003
    ...oh...thats not good...

That about sums it up, Mirax. [face_laugh]

15. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    Really liked this. Reminds me of those clasic Medieval stories. Nice to see this kind of writing blended into Starwars.

16. Marna_Veign

Jan 31, 2002
    And now, the further adventures of...well, I suppose you'll see soon enough what all this I've posted so far is leading up to. ;)
    --------------------------------------------

Jedi Knight Tahsh Hapay smiled as the air taxi pulled away, leaving her before the main entrance to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. The Jedi Council had summoned her and she had a bit of time before the meeting. She had to admit that she was a little nervous. She had not been before the Council often, except when she was in trouble. The last time she had been before the Council, they had chastised Tahsh for something she had done on her most recent mission as a Jedi Knight. It had not been long ago.

As Tahsh walked the hallways a boy about seven years old ran around a corner and bumped directly into her. He backed up a step and gasped as he looked at her.

?I?m sorry, Master. I didn?t think . . . I didn?t mean . . . . ? he stammered.

?Tell me, young man, where are you going in such a hurry?? she asked him.

?To watch the duels. Jedi Knight Kane Elandin has come to select a Padawan.?

Tahsh smiled as she thought of her old friend, and she longed to see him again.
    ?Perhaps we should join the others in watching the duels. But, no running in the hallways. You are aware it is against the rules?? she said, smiling to herself. She never thought that she would be telling anybody not to run.

?Yes, Master.?

The two walked through the hallways, going separate ways once they got to the arena. Tahsh looked around and saw where her friend Kane Elandin was sitting at. Not wanting to take his attention away from the students who fought, she waited until the battle was over to approach him. Kane turned and saw her, a grin on his face.

?Tahsh Hapay. It?s good to see you again. Come to select a Padawan also?? he asked as the tired students left to shower after their battle.

?No. I?ve been summoned by the Council.? she told him.

?The Council, huh? What have you done this time?? Kane asked, beckoning her to sit by him.

?Kane, I haven?t done anything.? she said, sitting. ?Not for a while, anyway.?

That last comment brought a smile to his face. During Temple training, Tahsh always seemed to get in trouble. Sometimes, she was required to stand before the Jedi Council for a reprimand. The last time Kane had seen Tahsh, she had just come from the Council Room. She had been chastised, again. He could tell something had been bothering her, and when he asked, she had told him about it. She and the Viceroy of the Madrine system had been pursued by individuals who wanted to kill the Viceroy. They had taken a turbolift up a giant sorkal tree to the branch where the Viceroy?s ship was in the hopes of escaping. The power to the repulsorlift had been cut when they were half way up the tree. Tahsh and the Viceroy had climbed out onto a nearby leaf large enough to hold both of them, but they were still being pursued. The only way out of danger that Tahsh could see was to cut the leaf free and float down to the ground.

The Viceroy hadn?t thought it fun, but Tahsh did. While he held on for his life, she stood, enjoying the ride. It had been unofficially requested of her to never return to the Madrine system again.

?Yeah, sure you haven?t.? Kane said with a smile.

?I haven?t.? she said, trying to convince him.

?Nothing ruins the truth like stretching it, Tahsh.? Kane told her, laughing.

?I have NOT done anything, Kane.? Tahsh said again, this time giving him a playful punch on the arm.

The next pair of students entered the arena side by side, getting the attention of the Jedi Knights.

?Ian Crabis and Marna Veign.? Kane said, reading their names off a datapad.

?Have you seen anyone you would like yet, Kane?? Tahsh asked, holding out a hand for the datapad.

?Not yet.? he answered, placing the datapad in her outstretched palm.

She looked over the information on the two students. Ian Crabis, a twelve-year-old Sorrusian male with a birthday in just a week. Kane was the boy?s last chance to leave the Temple with a Master. The

17. Master_Sword

Sep 29, 2003
    This is pretty good! I like how the characters interact!

18. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    yeah..and swift saber moves too.

19. Marna_Veign

Jan 31, 2002
    Would you believe that the part of the duel before the unexpected attack happened to me in RL? Move by move, so far as I could remember. Only the person in the place of Ian was hit on the nose, not the eye. :D

20. corellian_chic242

Feb 17, 2003
    Hotness! :) I'm glad to see that the one section now makes sense. ;)

21. Marna_Veign

Jan 31, 2002
    Marna Veign had a lot on her mind as she showered. She could not understand why Ian Crabis had gone after her like he did after the bout had officially ended. She had won it fairly, though accidentally. She had not meant to get his face, and she felt bad about that. Marna hoped he hadn?t lost his eye, and that he could forgive her.

She was glad that Shara had been watching. With her warning, and the bond the two girls had as twins, Marna had some warning that Ian was going to do something. Shara always was better at sensing things like that than Marna. Though she had no classes with her sister, Marna would miss her when they would leave the Jedi Temple.

Remembering lessons taught to her here in the Jedi Temple, Marna knew she had to let go of the guilt. She imagined the tension and negative feelings running off her and down the drain with the cool water. Feeling better emotionally, Marna turned off the water and dried herself. Not having anything else to do for the rest of the day, she headed to the Room of a Thousand Fountains. She could always refresh her mind there. And that?s just what she needed to do.

Despite her warning to the young boy, Tahsh found herself running as fast as she could to get to the Jedi Council room, chastising herself for staying to talk with Kane too long. She knew all the shortcuts, and used them to get there faster. One way she had no choice but to take was up the tower in a repulsorlift. The only alternative would take too long. She got to the repulsorlift just as the doors were closing.

?Hold the lift!? she called out, but it was too late.

The doors were closed and the lift was rising. Now, she had to wait for it to go up and return. After what seemed like an eternity, the door opened and Tahsh got in, pressing the button for the Jedi Council Room. The ride up to the Council Room seemed to take forever, and she paced inside like a caged animal. When the repulsorlift arrived and the door opened, Tahsh ran to the Jedi Council Room to get her there a few seconds faster. She was nearly there when the Council Room doors opened. She skidded to a stop, fearing the members of the Jedi Council had seen her running in the hallway. Tahsh quickly used the Force to slow her breathing and heart rate, hoping she could get away with breaking the ?running rule? this time.

?Enter, Jedi Tahsh Hapay.? Jedi Master Tau-Jay Olmpro beckoned.

Tahsh took a deep breath, raised her head and strode to the center of the room. She glanced around at the Jedi Council members who were assembled. Though they were all supposed to be equal, it was obvious that Tau-Jay Olmpro, the twi?lek Jedi Master, was the head of the Council. Tau-Jay?s lekku hung in front of his shoulders and lay loosely in his lap.

Next to Tau-Jay sat Tahsh?s beloved Master, Inga Sjari. It must have been Master Sjari that had come up before Tahsh, she realized as she bowed to the Masters.

?You wished to speak with me, my Masters?? she asked.

?Yes. Some time ago.? Tau-Jay answered.

Tahsh lowered her head slightly. She recognized Tau-Jay?s way of reprimanding her for tardiness, and knew that excuses were not appropriate. She had learned that lesson long ago, from experience.

?My apologies.? she said. ?I will work on my punctuality.?

Tau-Jay studied her, his lekku twitching slightly. He felt she was guilty of some infraction of the Temple rules, but was not sure exactly what she had done. Perhaps the ?running rule? again? No. Her breathing was calm, and her heart rate was as fast as it usually was when she came before them. Whatever she had done, he decided to get on with business. Tahsh arriving late was not good. The reason they called her was urgent, and they had to get on with it.

?We have called you before us for one reason, but another has come up as well. First of all, we had decided that you are ready to take on the responsibility of a Padawan Learner.?

Tahsh noticed how he emphasized the word ?had?. She realized that after her late arrival, Tau-Jay was not sure if Tahsh was ready for that responsibility

22. Master_Sword

Sep 29, 2003
    Nice. Good method of threading the storyline together. Keep it going, you're on a roll!

23. Marna_Veign

Jan 31, 2002
    The next part will be a little while. It's under reconstruction after I found a discrepancy in it and the section after it.

24. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    good continuation.

What's the room of a thousand fountains because I read about it in many fan-fics?

25. Peregrine7

Peregrine7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2003
    Nice! I have a fondness for the 1000 years between the Battle of Ruusan and the Battle of Naboo, and this looks very interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.