main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The planning and closure of the post NJO EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Invictus, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    So okay I hope this isn't a what if question but more of a if this then what this sort of question.

The EU had taken have a fairly sorry turn after the end of the NJO with Troy Denning having written approximately 48% of the novels not including the Jaden Korr side stories. Anyway SOTJ was supposed to take place soon after Apocalypse and Crucible takes place within the same year. How far before either sales became too bad to continue or some sort of massive contract shake up would the old EU have progressed in closing the 84 year gap between C and Legacy? Would Denning have really invalidated it as some people claimed(Legacy) would new blood have been brought in giving the EU a much needed boost?

Does anyone have any insider knowledge any authors or editors who frequent the boards are free to contribute-of where they were planning on taking the EU overall? IU there were 8 decades to cover-Del Rey and Bantam combined covered 4 and a half with something like 50 books. How big in terms of books could the old EU gotten until it became too unwieldy and difficult to navigate?

Thoughts? Ideas? Wishes?

Darth Caliban likes this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I started a thread about this, shouldn't be too many pages behind...

3. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    And it is?

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Stories following the Yuuzhan Vong, the other Force groups, Empire, Hutts, Bounty Hunters, Chiss, Unknown Regions, Hapans, Jedi Academies through out the GA, Smuggler's Alliance, the Ryn, The One Sith, the Lost Tribe, the Mando's, droids, etc. The potential was limitless.

xezene, Darthmaul208 and Amon_Amarth like this.
  6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    This thread isn't about SOTJ specifically it is about the direction the EU may or may not have gone IU and OU. What might have salvaged it and how the ginormous IU gap between C and Legacy would be closed.

7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    nothing would have salvaged it. even if it ended great. Because Disney converts everything to Disney

8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I'm asking if the Disney reboot didn't happen.

9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Would the big three have ever passed away would Lucas have given his blessing for that? In Legends? Jag wasn't head of the Empire in Apocalypse what path would he have taken to get there? Where his relationship issues with Jaina definitively resolved with their marriage? Where would Ben's story arc have gone? Would Allana have gotten anything like a YJK circle of friends? How many books would it have taken for the IU gap to have closed?

I'm genuinely surprised their aren't more people who are interested in this but me?

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  11. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    "I do like series that wrap up. I don't know if that's ever going to happen with Star Wars, although I tried to wrap it up with The Unifying Force. (laughing) I think there's been like thirty books published since that. You know, I think there's a point where you really are stretching things to find story, and we're going through a little bit of that with Star Wars right now, because we've taken those characters many many years past where they were in the movies. ... everyone's scratching their heads, trying to figure out 'Are there places where stories haven't been told?' Not that I think... As far as I'm concerned, there aren't any."

--- James Luceno, ~35 minutes into this interview

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    so was that thread. It's a good read, talking about what would have happened in and after the trilogy and all the greatest hits of the EU come up

Daneira likes this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    These characters deserve closure though. The handoff between the NJO/post NJO generation and legacy has to take place else the EU dies unfinished.

14. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Well I think the EU would have died unfinished anyway. Since LoF it was getting worse. The intersting characters were killed of and replaced by more mainstream scifi heroes. Ben Skywalker is a good example, he was never as interstibg as any of the Solo kids at least in my opinion. He was Lukes nice guy with Maras snark. Because of this he is more relatble than the thoughful and self doubting Jacen, but also less intersting.

Considering the SoJ series I assume it would have continued. I guess they would have turned Jainas curse into a blessing.Making it a cool thing that she kills a lot of people. So I guess she might have lost much if her dept to, becomibg more a generic action girl. And I guess Allana would have went the same way, essentialy becoming a female Han with a bit more force powers than usual.
    So I think they would have lost more and more readers over time.
    Maybe SoJ would have been the last series.

Giving how popular KOTOR and TOR have become I suspect they might had created a new book series in that period.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ending the EU with the NJO series is probably for the best.
    Won't stop me from attempting to make my own DNT/LOTF/FOTJ/FT fan-fic series thing with appearances/nods/mentions/etc of everything from 1977 to the present.
    And plenty of other stories set in the era. Won't just jump into DNT. Might jump from LOTF to FOTJ but plenty of stories to write between NJO series and DNT and DNT and LOTF.

In regards to the SOTJ trilogy. I'm interested in reading it but they lost momentum for that years ago. They could have capitalized on that in 2005, by 2014? Way too late imo.

16. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Especially when you consider how well Legacy continues from it.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Just confirms my head-canon that the EU ended with The Unifying Force until the Legacy comics.
    Ugh. So much potential. I admit I feel some loss when looking at those possibilities and then what we have now. I think Disney made a rookie mistake in just resetting everything. From the standpoint of the rookie, a hard reset allows for more possibilities right? Except it doesn't, because there's less branching to bounce off from. The wise will understand that having the lore, having the extensive history (SWEU perhaps being the most impressive in all of sci-fi/fantasy), is what truly allows for branching. And not only does it allow for branching, it allows for branching with imbued meaning. For example, even with series that are not well-liked -- LotF for instance -- those of us who don't care for it feel the loss, because we know the rich meaning of NJO, and LotF connects to that. And NJO is imbued with the connection to YJK. Through an extensive lore and expansive history, new stories can take on added meaning they wouldn't have had otherwise alone. My perspective is that it's only the unimaginative types that don't see that.

Regarding the Sword of the Jedi, that should have taken place directly after NJO imo. No DNT or LotF or FotJ business.

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Reminds me of a post I saw on facebook. There is mystery in SW again. Right. There were plenty of mysteries left in the EU. Never mind what we got the last 25 years. Outbound Flight, thrawn, katana fleet, boba fett, the yuuzhan vong, the sith, mandos, etc. SW just feels neutered now.

xezene likes this.
  19. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    In an ideal world, the EU ST could've fit in the gap between NJO and the Dark Nest Trilogy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenobi1138 and Force Smuggler like this.