main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Pleasure of His Company (Luminara, Obi-Wan vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthMousche, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMousche

DarthMousche Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Title: The Pleasure of His Company
    Author: DarthMousche
    Era: Before AoTC, right at the end of ?The Approaching Storm?
    Characters: Luminara, Obi-Wan
    Genre: Vignette
    Summary: After finishing the mission on Ansion, Luminara Unduli delights in the pleasure of a fellow Jedi?s company.
    Disclaimer: Everything belongs to GL, that lucky guy. Setting is from "The Approaching Storm" by Alan Dean Foster, as is this sentence about Luminara: "Lengthening her stride, she moved to catch up with Obi-Wan Kenobi; to seek his opinion on certain matters of significance, to congratulate him one more time on a job well done, and last but hardly least, to delight in the pleasure of his company."

Author?s note: This was inspired by some comments on the Obi-Wan character workshop thread about Luminara ?crushing on? Obi-Wan. :*

The two Jedi walked side by side under the pure blue sky of Ansion. Their mission to prevent the planet from seceding the Republic a success, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luminara Unduli and their apprentices were taking advantage of a short respite while their ship to Coruscant was readied for departure.

Watching Anakin Skywalker and Barriss Offee deep in conversation just ahead, Luminara said, ?They look as if they have come to an understanding. It?s good to see them get along.?

Obi-Wan moved his gaze to the Padawans and nodded. ?It is especially refreshing to see Anakin not antagonizing one of his peers. I?ve often wondered if he distances himself deliberately.?

?Oh, come on,? the Mirialan replied, her tattooed lower lip curving up at the corners. ?He can?t be that bad.?

?No? A couple of years ago he constructed a sort of buzz droid that would fly around people?s heads and ? well, buzz. Whenever he didn?t feel like talking or if a conversation got too uncomfortable for him, he would call it out. Most mistook it for an insect it was so small.? Obi-Wan chuckled as the memory unfolded in his mind. ?Of course he made the mistake of trying it out on Master Yoda, who immediately sent it flying into a kettle of porridge, where it got stuck.?

?So he?s been a handful, then?? Luminara said, wanting to hear more. One thing she had long admired about Obi-Wan was his skill for conversation, whether within his circle of close acquaintances or among strangers. His voice soothed, and his manner was warm and charming without being suspiciously slick. He would have made a wonderful politician had he not been a Jedi, she mused. Of course, from the times they had worked together, she knew that his dislike for bureaucracy and politics matched her own. He managed to hide it well when the situation called for it, though.

As the bearded Knight recalled a few particularly trying situations from his Padawan?s training, Luminara took the rare opportunity to study him. Of all the humans she came across, she found him to be one of the most pleasant to look at. Though he was more golden-skinned than the pale-faced males of her own race, there was something very appealing about the combination of ginger hair with gold streaks and cerulean eyes that sometimes darkened during intense moments. And, of course, the appeal didn?t stop at his face. He carried himself with a remarkable grace, as if he had been born into royalty.

?Maybe he was,? she thought to herself. She didn?t know anything about Obi-Wan?s life before he came to the Temple, not even which system he was from. But that would be a planet to see, especially if all the males were built like him.

Luminara saw where her thoughts were going, and her Jedi discipline required her to put a stop to them. She tuned back in to Obi-Wan?s words.

?I don?t think it?s all his fault. You can feel how strongly the Force is in him. It makes him more sensitive about his differences from all his agemates who were raised together from the time they were tots.?

She nodded. ?It must have been hard, especially with the bond he had shared with his mother.?

?Yes.? His reply was simple as he became lost in his own t

2. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    ok let me guess who that Jedi is....

um....Siri by any chance? lol. ;)

This is a wonderful viggie! Luminara and Obi-Wan... you captured them both so well!

I especially liked Luminara musing about being rescued... [face_laugh]

The ending was sad. :(

Thank you so much for sharing!

3. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Oh, that darn Code. :_|

It was so very touching that she realized Obi-Wan had been in love, and so sad that she even wanted to offer him hope that he could be with that person some day.

I do have to admit that scene in Aproaching Storm when Obi-Wan and Anakin came to their resuce was great - they were quite dashing.

4. wendynat

wendynat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    Absolutely beautiful viggie!! I haven't read any of the EU novels yet, but this is really making me curious about the Approaching Storm... I may have to take a trip to the library ;).

?And what a fine form, too.? The thought had come to her before she could stop it.

Luminara was startled out of her thoughts when Obi-Wan fell into step beside her and said lightly, ?You look as if you?re contemplating something of grave consequence to the galaxy.?

Her mouth quirked up. ?You have no idea.?

:)

5. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    Of all the humans she came across, she found him to be one of the most pleasant to look at. Though he was more golden-skinned than the pale-faced males of her own race, there was something very appealing about the combination of ginger hair with gold streaks and cerulean eyes that sometimes darkened during intense moments. And, of course, the appeal didn?t stop at his face. He carried himself with a remarkable grace, as if he had been born into royalty.

I love this description of Obi-Wan!! =P~ [face_love]

She didn?t know anything about Obi-Wan?s life before he came to the Temple, not even which system he was from. But that would be a planet to see, especially if all the males were built like him.

=P~ Direct me to that planet!!!! :p

I love this little viggie. I think you have done an excellent job of portraying Obi-Wan here and, of course, the story is so bittersweet. [face_love]

6. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    They're so cute together! [face_love]

Obi-Wan Kenobi ? the man who, as a Padawan, defeated a Sith lord, the Knight known for his serene, unflappable countenance, the Master known widely as the shining example of what a Jedi should be ? this man had been touched by love.

:_| I think it means so much that he opened himself up to her, enough to show her that.

7. SiriKenobi12

SiriKenobi12 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    I really, really enjoyed this viggie! I too really liked the bond I sensed between Luminara and Obi Wan after I read the Aproaching Storm...that's why I've added her to the group of Obi Wan's friends in most of my stories.

I thought you captured both characters wonderfully! You are a fantastic writer.

She didn?t know anything about Obi-Wan?s life before he came to the Temple, not even which system he was from. But that would be a planet to see, especially if all the males were built like him.

I agree with Jedikma direct me to that planet! =P~

Great job!

8. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    It's lovely to see Obi Wan through an eyes of another Jedi knight especially a female one at that. The whole story was very poignant and beautifully written. I felt so bad for Obi Wan in the end but also a touch of hope. I wonder if Luminara would do a bit of gentle digging to find out who Obi Wan had once loved.

9. DarthMousche

Jun 16, 2005
    JOINME: How did you ever guess? [face_batting] Thanks for reading!

Master_Noi: I always thought another Jedi would be more sympathetic than most about having to give up love. Luminara seemed to fit that profile pretty well.

wendynat: Thanks! You should read "The Approaching Storm." It's one of the more fun ones, I think, so it's a good first EU read, especially if you like Obi-Wan. I also enjoyed watching Barriss form and change her opinions about Anakin.

Jedikma: I'd love to visit that planet, too. Thanks for the beta and the comments, especially about the last line. The original one was making a reference to a line in SotJ, but I think I misremembered it. If you didn't get it, no one else would either, so I changed it. It does read beter.

JadeSolo: This is the only book I've read where they really interact, but they appeared to be good friends (he gives her a hug before she goes surepp-jumping). I thought he would trust her enough to let her see a little.

SiriKenobi12: Thank you. [face_blush] See what I said above about the Obi-Luminara relationship.

Hananiah: That's one of the things I like about some of the EU books, reading about how other Jedi view Obi-Wan. I'm not sure if Luminara would dig around ... I'm sure if she looked hard enough it wouldn't be too difficult to figure out. Hmm...would she exercise that Jedi restraint or would curiousity win out? o_O

Thank you to everyone who stopped by to read!

10. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh wonderful job!! Loved this! [face_love] Great work! I liked how you've portrayed the two! :D

Poor Obi :( And she is right...it is not forgotten! ;)

=D=

11. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I love Obi and Luminara stories! :eek: This was great! :)

12. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I read this last night and thought it was wonderful. Having Luminara in it caught my attention also because you don't see alot of stories of them together, even as just jedi friends. I thought you did a very good job in her character and how far would she probe and how she would talk etc.

13. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    That was so sweet, Mousche. You wrote Luminara extremely well. I loved her inner dialogue, and how she's mostly Jedi but some very basic human things, like attraction, can seep in there as well. The relationship you established between Luminara and Obi-Wan was just lovely. And the last line was so sad, but so fitting. =D= Excellent job!

14. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Wonderful! I myself like to think there were some feelings going on there. Maybe more on her side, but still. Loved their conversation. =D=

15. whie_dreams

whie_dreams Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2005
    I enjoyed the chemistry between them very much. Smart girl Luminara. :)

16. DarthMousche

Jun 16, 2005
    Oh man, how did I miss all these comments? [face_blush]

Kyn - Nope, can't be forgotten. Probably because I won't let him. :p

rhonderoo - I really enjoyed Luminara in the book, and I am intrigued by how other Jedi view Obi-Wan and Anakin. Are there other Obi/Luminara stories? I'm going to have to go find them! :)

CrystalKenobi - Their camaraderie in the book was interesting to me. There were definitely signs that they were good enough friends so she could probe a little.

LE - Thanks. Anakin has some thoughts in the book about how even Luminara seems more human than Obi-Wan does (can't remember the exact wording, but it was something to that effect). How could any sane woman who spent tiime in his company not feel some sort of attraction, right?

oe - I like to think so, too. Of course, I had to tell the poor girl that Obi-Wan is taken. :p

whie_dreams - Thank you. :) It was a fun interaction to write.

17. widow_skywalker

widow_skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    This story was great.. I went back and re-read it before I posted. The banter was so much like the Approaching Storm and I wondered if maybe there was a little crush between the two Jedi. I hope you do more Luminara stories. She is a character that needs more fan fic!!

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Barriss was just learning to deal with the fact that emotions sometimes rise to the surface, even for Jedi, and it was up to her to control them.

I really like this as I was recently in a conversation about this exact thing!

?We are Jedi. We do not speculate about what cannot be, what we cannot change.? How unfortunate at that.

?Not in this lifetime,? she thought she heard him say softly. ... Heartbreaking.

What a stellar story!

19. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This was quite wonderful. I loved how Luminara was able to get Obi-Wan to talk about his past and how his decision to remain Jedi both strenghtens and pains him.

Loved the last lines!

?Perhaps someday the rules will change and you can be together.?

?Not in this lifetime,? she thought she heard him say softly.

Well done!

20. Tweets

Tweets Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2005
    This is a lovely vignette. I love the way you've portrayed Obi-Wan here. :)

21. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    So good, your name should be Darth Marvelous! Having just read Secrets of the Jedi last night (truly), it really resonated.

I love it. Wonderful story.

=D= =D=

22. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Very nice vignette :) You captured Obi perfectly, I think. Thanks for sharing :)

23. DarthMousche

Jun 16, 2005
    widow_skywalker - I agree - the world needs more Luminara. I'll have to do a little more digging; maybe a bunny will hop into my path. :)

Leona - I've never been in the camp that Jedi just don't have emotions. My favorite Jedi are the ones whom I believe learn to live with their feelings - you know, without turning to the Dark side. :D

diane - There were some moments in the book that gave me the definite impression that the two were friends, so I didn't think it would be a stretch for him to open up to her ... in his own reserved way. :) Thanks for your comments.

Tweets - Is it his smoldering passion for a certain blonde or his fine form that you like the best? :p

Valairy_Scot - Darth Marvelous! [face_laugh] Sounds like a superhero. Thanks for reading. So, did SotJ put any bunnies in your path? Any Siriwan bunnies, perhaps? [face_batting]

serendipityaey - I'm glad you liked it. For some reason, this one has a special place in my heart. [face_love] Thanks!

24. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Sputtering...stinkin'....flimmin' flamin'....Stupid code! Still, I wonder if we would all love the feelings between Siri and Obi-Wan if there were no restrictions on them? That whole 'forbidden' thing adds a certain element to their story...Oh, and great job!

25. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    What a lovely scene. I loved this though I am not currently competent enough to explain why.

KD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.