main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Pod-race Sequence VS The Speeder-bike Sequence

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by AllyoftheForce, Jul 14, 2016.

1. AllyoftheForce

AllyoftheForce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2016
    Both are similar in many regards - they involve vehicles, high speed pursuits, edge-of-you-seat suspense, they're even similarly shot:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    But which one is better? Let me know which one and why.

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The Podrace.

I've always found the speeder bike chase dull. Nothing's really accomplished by it, except Leia being separated. The action feels oddly placed, considering the constrained nature of the trees. I'm always expecting them to crash, there are some remarkably long straight sections of forest. I just don't think it's that good

The Podrace, while not my favourite setpiece, has a perfect buildup, with the hangar scene, the flag parade, the introduction of the racers and the only sound being the humming of the engines just before the race begins. They all come together to create a compelling set up, with lots of interesting designs on the pods and their drivers. It's the only real time we get to see a leisure activity in Star Wars, as extreme as it is. The race itself gets a bit repetitive by the 3rd lap, as we've already seen all the location twice before. I do like the scope of it, beaten-up, intergalactic racers zooming across the canyons and plains of Tatooine. The visuals are great, and if nothing else, I'll always love this moment:
    [​IMG]

Seeing the heat haze, desert and racers all composited together perfectly. What a great shot.

3. AllyoftheForce

Jun 10, 2016
    Yeah, I think I might agree. There's much more riding on the Pod race than the Speeder bike chase, Anakin winning the Pod race sort of sets in motion the events of the rest of the series. If he didn't win, he would've stayed on Tatooine, and that means no more Skywalker story, the tension being higher because of that.

4. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Both are good scenes but I'll take the speeder bike chase because it is thrilling and exciting, yet also short and to the point. The pod race goes on far too long despite all of its positives. Also psychologically the trees create a more exciting setting.

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I echo the sentiments directly above. Also, Luke ending the chase by cutting the nose off the scout trooper's speeder bike is just so awesome to watch.

6. AllyoftheForce

Jun 10, 2016
    Good point. I don't think it's excruciatingly long, but it does drag after a certain point now that I think about it.
    Yes, yes, and yes.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  7. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Yeah I think the podrace does go on for too long. Although, wasn't it extended for the DVD release? We should demand an OPT (original prequel trilogy) release!

8. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Both serve their separate purpose. Very well done...

One is more of a rompy, extravaganza "zip zop booop wrrrry!"

The podrace, was just overall, conducted better. One of the best sound designs, art designs and set buildings. The editing was far better there too.

There was a from of intensity with no music whatsoever, then being build up towards the end...

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I liked the pod race better the first time I saw it, when it was titled Ben-Hur. Put me down for the "too long" camp; it might have worked better as the climax of the whole film, but not in the middle. Speeder bikes were just right, long enough to satisfy but not engorge the senses.

10. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Seconding the Pod Race being too long - but also that some of the shot composition and editing etc. was absolutely stunning. And frankly the swoop bikes scene loses a bit of impact when a two foot tall teddy bear does the exact same thing shortly afterwards, for me anyway.

11. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    OT fans are going to pick the speed bike of course. The pod race is infinitely more cooler.

12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I honestly can't choose. for many of the reasons listed here, the podrace sequence is beautifully crafted. However, I have a huge soft spot for the speeder bike chase. It's a great prelude to the much larger space battle the occurs later, and is really enjoyable to watch.

AllyoftheForce likes this.
  13. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Podrace.

[​IMG]

It is great in nearly every possible way. It has a great build up, it's diversity of contestants and the visuals are intriguing, the music is superb and, unlike ROTJ's speeder bike chase, it looks realistic. The speeder bikes are not that good composited into the forest, the chase really looks dated and the music is not on par with the podrace.

Deliveranze likes this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Ezon Pin and AllyoftheForce like this.
  15. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    The speeder bike sequence felt suspenseful as though they could crash into a wayward tree at any moment.

The pod race felt exciting because the editing overall made you feel how fast they were going.

For me overall, it would depend on my mood.

Though, I think most of us can agree the pod-racers have a cooler design; those plasma beams were sick.

16. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Podrace for sure. I forget the speeder bike scene happens and I don't find it as intense nor do I enjoy it that much. At least, not compared to the Podracing scene.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

OT fan here.

Going with the pod race, even though I agree it's a tad too long.

Oh, snap.

CoolyFett, Davak24, Ezon Pin and 4 others like this.
  18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Definitely OT but I have been gaining a new appreciation for this scene in the PT so this is a very interesting line of thought to follow!

19. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Podrace is better for me. Parts of it dragged on too long, but its good parts were superior to the speeder bike sequence IMO.

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Never liked the speeder bike chase, even as a kid. In fact, the only acceptable shot in that sequence is the one in the OP's gif. Even though RotJ has one of my favourite scenes on the entire saga, it was always the movie I had the hardest time suspending my disbelief.

The podrace, while it's not my favourite sequence in TPM, is extremely well done. It's epic, cinematic, well shot and has great sound design. it's memorable.

Deliveranze, Ezon Pin and darskpine10 like this.
  21. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    Podracer goes on WAY too long, so I gotta go with speeder chase in ROTJ.

Dandelo and DarthCricketer like this.
  22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Cats or dogs?
    Chocolate or vanilla?
    Podrace or speeder bike chase?

WHY MUST LIFE THROW THESE COMPARISONS AT ME

23. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I love both of these scenes (enought to make each one a favorite from respective trilogy) so it's pretty much impossible for me to choose one of them.

24. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Thinking about it, I actually like both pretty equally. The speeder bike chase I thought was always very tense with how fast they were going in the middle of a forest. Then the Podrace was a fun look into what Star Wars denizens find entertaining as sports and it's just one of the more exciting scenes in TPM.

JediChipKelly and AllyoftheForce like this.
  25. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    PT fan here and I prefer the speeder bike chase.