main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Pod-race Sequence VS The Speeder-bike Sequence

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by AllyoftheForce, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Might not be a fair fight, as the effects for the speeder bike sequence - while good for its day - may not hold up as well for some (i.e., me).

I'll take the podrace sequence. Although TPM is not necessarily a favorite of mine, I'm at least still engaged in the movie at that point. ROTJ by the time of the speeder bikes has long since lost me, with a handful of phoned-in effects, the keystone cops sequence over the Sarlacc pit, and other assorted annoyances.

Oh, and I love Sebulba's pod's engine note. Turned up to 11.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So when Anakin's pod became disconnected from the engine, why didn't the whole thing come apart?
    That whole scene still doesn't make sense to me.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Ok so ROTJ is the first SW chapter I ever seen and the speeder bike chase was one of the parts I always remember. It just seemed so real, and it was so fast. I'm curious how it looks and sounds on Blu Ray, since I still have the DVDs.

4. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

I enjoy both.I also enjoy Paploo stealing the spider bike later in the film, I lol every time when I see him with his feet in the air just holding on by the handle bars.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I'm going to go with Speeder chase.

Races aren't my cup of tea and watching the pod race was just like watching a Formula 1 race.

That's not to take away that technically it is a well done scene, and the sounds are amazing. But as I said race sports to me are dull and is the only thing I skip when watching TPM.

6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Podrace for sure. Almost certainly one of my favorite action sequences in all of cinema, paying unique homage to the chariot race from Ben-Hur. It's a case of every facet of cinema operating at peak capacity: cinematography, sound design and music, production design and locations, practical effects and CGI.

Ezon Pin and darskpine10 like this.
  7. Lazy_Ewok

Lazy_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2016
    Speeder-bike, because the movie in general is better.

8. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Sarge likes this.
  9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    This is like comparing apples to oranges IMO. Both are great.

AllyoftheForce likes this.
  10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Seriously? An homage is not a rip-off. If the podrace was not original (which it was) then the same can be said of the speeder bike considering the number of bike chases that had been done in cinema prior to RotJ.

L110 likes this.
  11. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Don't really think these two sequences are comparable, but the speeder bike chase in ROTJ is way more enjoyable in my opinion. While I like the podrace, it goes on for far too long and all the interest is gone after the first minute. The Endor chase is fun from beginning to end.

12. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    Pod race easily for me. I love the designs and sounds of all the different pods, and the visceral sense of speed throughout, and Sebulba, who is delightful as a mustache-twirling secondary villain. He actually strikes me now as a sort of prelude to General Grievous, as they both share the same haughty demeanor and an unusual penchant for scuttling around like crabs.

On the other hand, the speeder chase doesn't really do much for me. And don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the action scenes in ROTJ, from the sarlacc pit to the space battle to even the ewok battle. I guess I would blame the choreography first and foremost. That and it goes on too long--it's a bit too much time spent bumping bikes together ineffectually for my taste. The pod race arguably goes on too long also, but it doesn't have the same sense of monotony to me and at least has a nice sense of rhythm as each unique segment of the track repeats for each of the three laps.