main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Point of No Return (post-TLC, L/M viggie- part of "First Steps" series)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LianaMara, Jan 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Thanks for clicking! :)

Disclaimer- Blah. I don't own them :p

Timeframe- a few months after The Last Command

Characters- Mara Jade, Luke Skywalker

Genre- humor, romance, vignette

Summary- Mara takes a first step towards a deeper relationship with Luke.

AN1- Emmi's Christmas present. [face_love] See, dear, I can write happy pieces too.

Emmi- you're the best! Happy late Christmas, and remember that sadness is temporary but happiness is everlasting. *huggies and love* :D

Links for the Series (in chronological order)- Here's a general help guide for you. There will be seven vignettes total. ;) Note that this is in the order they take place, not the order I wrote them in:

On Distant Shores, The Point of No Return

[b]The Point of No Return[/b]

You couldn?t really call it a tradition, for Luke and I weren?t carrying on some generations-long custom. Careful planning, or extensive research into Coruscantian seating arrangements didn?t achieve it. It was an accident. Plain and simple. And I hate to say it, but Threkim Horm?s to blame.

I guess fat, irritating politicians do have their uses.

You see, whenever I happened to be nearby the Imperial Palace I liked to stop by the cafeteria for a bite to eat. The New Republic has accomplished some amazing feats, but I?d say their greatest achievement has been the improved food. During the Emperor?s reign, the gruel was?well, grueling to consume. It took a stomach of durasteel to digest that spittle. With superweapons constantly in development, some budget cuts had to be made.

But this rebel chow is excellent. Satisfying, flavorful, and probably even nutritious if I checked into it. I?d head in, grab myself a plate of unpronounceable entrées, then ponder Smuggler?s Alliance business over a hot meal.

Somehow, Skywalker found out about my habit and always managed to miraculously ?appear? right when I sat down with my lunch. I don?t know how he did it; Jedi should not have enough free time to mastermind elaborate schemes and impromptu meetings. But he did, and every time I entered the room there he was, sitting at a table, a stupid grin plastered across his face as he waved me towards an empty seat.

It was sort of cute in a juvenile, bored-out-of-my-mind way. Not a big masculine turn-on, but then again, Luke?s not one of those macho men.

I wouldn?t speak to him if he were.

Safe, easy, risk-free; I?d take my place across from Luke and we?d discuss anything from Smuggler?s Alliance news to whether lightsabers have fuses. He claimed that they didn?t, basing his knowledge on the fact that he?d constructed one himself; I didn?t agree. Lightsabers are delicate instruments, like molecular stilettos, which have fuses. I think. Luke laughed it off as circular reasoning, but when I didn?t show up for several days he rather sheepishly sent me a message that I was correct. Our arguments usually ended that way.

It continued like that for a while- several months, or so. We had our spats, which tended to be quite frequent, but our friendship was never affected. I guess we realized that who knows more about the lifespan of garrals just isn?t that important in the big picture.

I was happy with this arrangement. Everything was so smooth?until Threkim Horm screwed up my routine. I was heading towards the table, smiling at how Luke?s new haircut drew attention to his eyes, when the Alderaanian swerved in front of me and parked his hoverchair right in my spot. Luke looked a little peevish, but nowhere near as angry as I felt. Didn?t that huge lumbering imbecile know anything? That was my seat, for the Force?s sake. He wasn?t allowed to just plow his way past paying customers and steal reserved places.

Luke shrugged apologetically, and gestured to show me that his

2. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    LMAO!! [face_laugh] Poor Mara. :p She sounds like she's halfway in between liking and hating Luke, and she's got those awkward "should I or shouldn't I?" feelings. Go get him, girl!! :D

*huggles twin* Another great one! :D Dang, you're prolific! ;)

Jae Angel

3. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Isn't she just MARVELOUS? I heart you soooooo much, Leli! *hugs* This piece is just perfect, and it cheered me right up. ;) There are so many things to comment on...I'll be back with a proper reply later. This is just great!

4. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    This is just great! :)

5. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Ah, a cheery, fun piece. :)

6. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Oh, I loved this! The image of Luke and Mara sitting there talking and arguing about mundane things is just so....adorable! And then her pique when "her seat" is taken! [face_laugh] I loved that.

I also liked Luke's amusement at her predicament...sit next to him or not?

Perhaps Luke and I are meant for something more.

Yes, you are, m'dear! Yes, you are!! ;) :D

7. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    With superweapons constantly in development, some budget cuts had to be made.

Man, that good.

8. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm not being egotistical, but this reminds me of The Blanket Incident - not because it really resembles the story, but because I see it as the start of much more. [face_mischief]

*folds hands* Should I start begging/prodding/harrassing for a sequel? I think so! :D

Anywho :p , I really loved this. I loved Mara's indecision, and the little tradition they had going - and then when Mara was forced to step out of habit to keep it going, she did! It was a big step. It showed that being with Luke was more than a convenience, but an experience she treasured. [face_love] I adore it! Luke was so cute, too. If he hadn't been deadpan, Mara would have shot him. :p

I love it, darling! *huggles* :D

9. rogue11lovesjag

rogue11lovesjag Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Wonderful job! Perfectly captured that feeling of in between friendship and courtship. :)

~Rogue

10. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    I never replied to this one! :eek: [face_blush] Here goes, then. :p

It was sort of cute in a juvenile, bored-out-of-my-mind way. Not a big masculine turn-on, but then again, Luke?s not one of those macho men.

LOL! I wouldn't either. :p And his maneuvering is kind of cute. :D

It continued like that for a while- several months, or so. We had our spats, which tended to be quite frequent, but our friendship was never affected. I guess we realized that who knows more about the lifespan of garrals just isn?t that important in the big picture.

*grins* Nice representation of their friendship. They might argue a lot, but it doesn't change the important things.

Not across from, not diagonal to, but directly beside him. I?d never done that before, eaten lunch on his right-hand side. Did I really want to get that close? My normal place was cautious, near enough for conversation by far enough that I could leave without a second?s delay.

Very good! That's definitely Mara: always leave yourself an escape route.

It?s amazing how little things can frighten me so much. I fought down the urge to kill Luke, and I defeated C?baoth and that creepy clone. And yet I couldn?t pick a place to eat without my nerves turning to liquid and my hands shaking.

I love seeing Mara unexpectedly vulnerable over something small like this. :D

Luke leaned forward, his head almost brushing against mine as he bent to whisper in my ear. I shut my eyes, and couldn?t help smiling.

Perhaps Luke and I are meant for something more.

How sweet! [face_love] Just lovely, Liana. :D

11. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I nearly missed this! Very sweet. I loved it. Your characterizations of both Luke and Mara were just perfect.

I'm with obaona. A sequel would be wonderful.

12. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    Hey ya gotta start somewhere! Lunch at the cafeteria is as good a place for love to start as any! [face_love]

Great job! :D

13. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Sequel? Hey, my birthday's coming up...

14. Ariapaige

Ariapaige Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2002
    Hey! This is really nice. I loved Mara's inner turmoil. I'm in total agreement with the others. A sequel would be nice.

;) Paige

15. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    Lani- Thanks! *huggies* :D She sounds like she's halfway in between liking and hating Luke, and she's got those awkward "should I or shouldn't I?" feelings. Go get him, girl!!

Those messed-up early feelings. *sigh* ;)

*huggles twin* Another great one! Dang, you're prolific!

Nah, I'm just on Christmas break, and so poor I don't have anything better to do. :p

Emmi- I heart you too, Emmi! *huggies* [face_love]

This piece is just perfect, and it cheered me right up.

Aw...I feel special now. ;)

You better give me replies! :p

LaYa_- Thanks! :)

RebelMom- Cheeriness gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. ;)

kayladie97- I'm glad you liked it! :D

The image of Luke and Mara sitting there talking and arguing about mundane things is just so....adorable! And then her pique when "her seat" is taken! I loved that.

_3MD_PsychoSnipper- Man, that good.

I try. :p

Ooops...have to go to my Bio Class. :( I hate Math and Science. Hate hate hate hate. :( I promise I will finish replies TONIGHT! ;)

16. Benjor45

Benjor45 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 25, 2003
    Funny vignette, LianaMara! :D

It took a stomach of durasteel to digest that spittle. With superweapons constantly in development, some budget cuts had to be made.

But this rebel chow is excellent. Satisfying, flavorful, and probably even nutritious if I checked into it.

[face_laugh] The advantages of democracy...

Safe, easy, risk-free; I?d take my place across from Luke and we?d discuss anything from Smuggler?s Alliance news to whether lightsabers have fuses. He claimed that they didn?t, basing his knowledge on the fact that he?d constructed one himself; I didn?t agree. Lightsabers are delicate instruments, like molecular stilettos, which have fuses. I think. Luke laughed it off as circular reasoning, but when I didn?t show up for several days he rather sheepishly sent me a message that I was correct. Our arguments usually ended that way.

Yes, yes, spot on. There are apropriate times to 'Yes dear'ing you ladies. Smart Luke. [face_laugh]

Great stuff!

17. Lady-Hermione

Lady-Hermione Jedi Master star 1

Jul 15, 2003
    Somehow, Skywalker found out about my habit and always managed to miraculously ?appear? right when I sat down with my lunch. I don?t know how he did it; Jedi should not have enough free time to mastermind elaborate schemes and impromptu meetings. But he did, and every time I entered the room there he was, sitting at a table, a stupid grin plastered across his face as he waved me towards an empty seat.

Awww!!! [face_love] Cute Lukie...

Besides, I?ve usually found that such situations either lead to awkwardly worded pickup lines if my neighbor is male (Calrissian?)

[face_laugh] Gotta love Lando.

I glanced around one last time, then took a tentative step towards that empty seat. Luke was watching me, and I swear he was hiding amusement behind that deadpan expression. Oh, he was perfectly composed, but his eyes were twinkling. He had to be laughing inside.

[face_love] [face_laugh] That's Luke alright! How adorable...

I love this vignette-- short and sweet and funny, just like I like 'em-- and I also love your writing style, Liana. It's funny without blatant in-your-face gags; you weave humor subtly in here and there and it sets a light-hearted mood for the entire piece. Love it... great job!

18. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    Somehow, Skywalker found out about my habit and always managed to miraculously ?appear? right when I sat down with my lunch. I don?t know how he did it; Jedi should not have enough free time to mastermind elaborate schemes and impromptu meetings.

I guess we realized that who knows more about the lifespan of garrals just isn?t that important in the big picture.

LOL! That was great, Liana! Awesome job!

19. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    Finished replies! Sorry again so so so much. :( I am bad author! I take forever to reply!

*stops beating self up*

Mum- this reminds me of The Blanket Incident - not because it really resembles the story, but because I see it as the start of much more.

Crap. What have I gotten myself into?! :p

*folds hands* Should I start begging/prodding/harrassing for a sequel? I think so!

I credit this all to Emmi and you. Yes, I am writing a sequel. So far, its title is Don't Know Why and it involves Mara playing the staring game. ;)

Anywho, I really loved this. I loved Mara's indecision, and the little tradition they had going - and then when Mara was forced to step out of habit to keep it going, she did! It was a big step. It showed that being with Luke was more than a convenience, but an experience she treasured.

Yes! If Luke was only tolerable, she would have breezed past him without a second thought. But she paused, and felt bad leaving him alone. That means they so belong together. Now they must just realize it. ;)

Luke was so cute, too. If he hadn't been deadpan, Mara would have shot him.

Then what a bind she would have found herself in! :eek: "Bride," once again. Deadpan is good, for dead Luke is sad and not alive and cute. :p

I've so happy you loved it! I wasn't sure what you'd think. :D *huggies*

Car- Thank you! :) It's so weird in those first steps of relationships.

Gabri- :eek: Oh yay! You've made my day! [face_love] *huggies for replies...your replies are so cool*

LOL! I wouldn't either. And his maneuvering is kind of cute.

I think that's part of Luke's appeal...he does such cute, almost geeky things sometimes. Closet dork! :p

*grins* Nice representation of their friendship. They might argue a lot, but it doesn't change the important things.

Verily. Wait, what did I just say? "Verily"? Die, Shakespeare! [face_mischief]

Very good! That's definitely Mara: always leave yourself an escape route.

She can't even eat lunch without having a place to get away quickly. It seemed so Mara-esque I had to put it in.

I love seeing Mara unexpectedly vulnerable over something small like this.

Mara's such a strong character that it takes little things to throw her out of kilter. Bounty hunters? No sweat. Deciding whether Luke is really a good lunchmate? HARD. ;)

How sweet! Just lovely, Liana.

Thank you, dear! :D

Jedi-2B- Thank you! :D

Your characterizations of both Luke and Mara were just perfect.

It's amazing what 2 Code Reds at midnight can accomplish. ;)

I'm with obaona. A sequel would be wonderful.

I'll be sure to finish it soon. :)

Rivad- Thanks! ;)

Hey ya gotta start somewhere! Lunch at the cafeteria is as good a place for love to start as any!

So true. Heck, I've had it start during auditions for a show. Of course, that didn't go too well... :p

Emmi- Sequel? Hey, my birthday's coming up...

Working. When IS your birthday? [face_love] Will give you a special gift in addition to a sequel. :D

Ariapaige- This is really nice. I loved Mara's inner turmoil. I'm in total agreement with the others.

Thank you! :D Getting to realize how she feels about Luke would never come easy.

A sequel would be nice.

I will provide one soon. This week, in fact. Maybe Saturday? ;)

Benjor45- Glad ya think so! :D

The advantages of democracy...

Did I mention the nice fork and knives instead of sporks? :p

Yes, yes, spot on. There are apropriate times to 'Yes dear'ing you ladies. Smart Luke.

Very smart Luke. Wouldn't want to get the girl ticked off at you for too long. ;)

Thanks!

Lady-Hermione (look! I spelled it right! :p )-
    I love this vignette-- short and sweet and funny, just like I like 'em-- and I also love your writing style, Liana. It's funny without blatant in-your-face gags; you weave humor subtly in here and there and it set

20. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Here are my replies, late, but as promised!

I don?t know how he did it; Jedi should not have enough free time to mastermind elaborate schemes and impromptu meetings. But he did, and every time I entered the room there he was, sitting at a table, a stupid grin plastered across his face as he waved me towards an empty seat.

What was it you said earlier about Luke? Closet dork, wasn't it? Isn't that so true? *swoon* He's so darling.

*sigh* There's something about those boyish guys that really gets me. And plus points if they happen to be just a tad dorkish. Lukie is just perfect! And I love Mara's taste; not only does she like Luke, but she avoids the macho-men types. I do too. Can't stand them.

Luke laughed it off as circular reasoning, but when I didn?t show up for several days he rather sheepishly sent me a message that I was correct. Our arguments usually ended that way.

Awwwwwww...

I was happy with this arrangement. Everything was so smooth?until Threkim Horm screwed up my routine. I was heading towards the table, smiling at how Luke?s new haircut drew attention to his eyes, when the Alderaanian swerved in front of me and parked his hoverchair right in my spot. Luke looked a little peevish, but nowhere near as angry as I felt. Didn?t that huge lumbering imbecile know anything? That was my seat, for the Force?s sake. He wasn?t allowed to just plow his way past paying customers and steal reserved places.

So much to say about this paragraph! The first thing I noticed--Mara noticing Luke's haircut. Now that's just something I never would have thought to add in a story, but it's just too perfect. I really love that little detail.

I love Mara's description of Horm. "Huge, lumbering imbecile" is a description that says everything that needs to be said, is perfectly funny, and doesn't use too many words! I love it!

I also loved how Mara thought of her seat as reserved. Just like her.

It?s amazing how little things can frighten me so much. I fought down the urge to kill Luke, and I defeated C?baoth and that creepy clone. And yet I couldn?t pick a place to eat without my nerves turning to liquid and my hands shaking.

Courage, Mara. No sweat.

*giggles* Nuff said. I love how those little things can make Mara terrified when she's already been through so many big things.

I glanced around one last time, then took a tentative step towards that empty seat. Luke was watching me, and I swear he was hiding amusement behind that deadpan expression. Oh, he was perfectly composed, but his eyes were twinkling. He had to be laughing inside.

Hehehehe. This reminds me of another story. I think it was Gabri's Infinite Possibilities, where Mara told Luke "Stop laughing at me inside your head!" LOL!

This is such an awesome story, Lei. I'm so excited that there's going to be more!

My birthday is March 28th, btw. ;) :p

21. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    *offers chocolate and roses!*

Belated Valentine's Day UP!

22. joy_noel

joy_noel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    Very cute. I like how it was almost accidental with them sitting together. Something had to push those two together.

23. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    Ah! Em and joy have the same icons! *screams* ;)

Emmi dear- *huggies* Oh, I love you so much, sweetheart! Longer replies later. :D

Em- Thank you, dearie! *huggles* [face_love]

joy- Thanks! :) That's exactly what it seems to me. But aren't you glad that accidents occur? ;)

And now...I got home from dance last night when I got a plot bunny for the prequel to this viggie, "On Distant Shores." Here's the first 2 paragraghs as a sneak preview:

~*~**~*~

"Mara, I've never seen you dance before."

I threw Luke a glare. We were stuck in an uncomfortable situation, and he certainly wasn't making it any more peaceful. I would never have chosen to board that turbolift if I'd known that we'd have a bomb drill halfway up to the 34th floor. It's not that Luke was a dull companion. But after a few minutes of polite chitchat, our conversation peetered off into silence. Even after all we'd been through together, I just didn't feel right around him. In a group, confrontations were no sweat, as long as I had a way to get away when talk turned to touchy subjects. But a lift? It was large, true- about 6 x 6 meters- but there was no escape route. The doors were locked shut, and I was trapped with him.

~*~**~*~

Any suggestions or comments? :)

24. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Ooooh...YAYNESS!

*giggles* That's an awesome bunny, dearest. Tell me, what happened that inspired it?

25. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    Em- Aw, I'm glad you like it! :D Well, I'm a modern dance freak, and I was thinking of how I think dancing can be such a romantic thing...and then it came. Mara was a dancer for a bit, after all. It's happy and a little silly. And is it just me, or is dancing very sexy? Like hands, too. ;) Holding them and rubbing them...mmm...happy thoughts of someone. [face_love]

*smacks head against wall*

Anyway. I'll try to get the full thing up tomorrow or Thurs. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.