main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The point where you said, "Hmmm..."

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Keycube, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    jimmycrank wrote

There's also the part where they drop some small rocks on the Stormtroopers head....like how!? Does Stormtrooper Armour do anything? at all?

Some of the rocks weren't really "small". I'm pretty certain that the armor withstands rocks thrown during a riot, but to withstand head-crushing rocks being thown from above probably isn't the "standard" riot the armor was designed for. ;)

Ezon Pin likes this.
  2. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    The force was with the Ewoks!

jimmycrank likes this.
  3. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Random observation/interjection, for now...

Wow! Yes? I'm very engaged with the film when Jar Jar appears, and which also marks the point, in my opinion, where the film truly begins (after the "prologue", of sorts, on the TF ship).

Their breathing device might be a little homage to James Bond, but that's hardly inappropriate for Star Wars, in my view.

And I think the imagery of the Jedi swimming underwater lends an amniotic, dream-like edge to the film in that moment.

Plus, the music on their approach to Otoh Gunga is just sublime, in my view.

You're entitled to your view, of course, but you seem to have forgotten that Star Wars is based on "Flash Gordon". Is it so bad that it has a brief scene of Padme and Her Palace-Busting Grapple Gun Team hoisting themselves to a higher level?

There is also some nice symbolism in that scene. In all four action tiles, the main participants get lifted at least once:

- Obi-Wan "Force jumps" in the reactor room after taking a hard fall (and leaps out of the pit against Maul).
    - Anakin takes off through the clouds in the N-1 starfighter under automatic pilot.
    - Jar Jar is blown through the air by a tank blast in the middle of battle.
    - Padme and her team use grapple guns to vertically transition from one floor to another.

As in the Obi-Wan example, Padme and her entourage are deliberately elevating themselves (which contrasts with Anakin and Jar Jar: the overwhelmed "kids" of Lucas' sonata of mayhem), while unlike Obi-Wan, they are using technology, instead of the Force (and are on the outside, compared to Obi-Wan being on the inside, preparing to re-enter).

You haven't articulated your beef very much, however. Is it the devices themselves?

I'll grant you that it's a little convenient how they suddenly whip out such a highly specific thing (at least in this latter example).

No biggie, though. I figure, in-universe, that they keep kitted-out guns for emergencies, a bit like the way Amidala's throne improbably contains a collection of blaster pistols in its armrest.

That and there's probably some in-joke at work. Padme, after all, conveniently picks her handcuffs with a pin in AOTC, and presses the same button to perform different functions in the cockpit of her yacht in the same movie, right before heading to Geonosis.

Dreadful? Okay.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion, but plainly, it isn't one I share, and it even came across to me as petty, based on the examples you gave.

Everyone has their hang-ups, however.

Saga Explorer and darth_frared like this.
  4. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    It was obviously a ''force kick''. <.<

5. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    Darth_Nub How are the grapple hooks any worse than when Luke and Leia swung across the gap in A New Hope?

Saga Explorer, Cryogenic and Ezon Pin like this.
  6. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    When Rey used the Force all of a sudden....STRAIGHT OUTTA NOWHERE.

And when Anakin flew the naboo star fighter in TPM..

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  7. lardandlard

lardandlard Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2015
    This exactly what I would write. I had such high hopes for Kylo Ren, but at that time Ithought "WTF?!". Felt like a bad comedy, and the rest of the movie wasn't any better, IMO.

I like Return of the Jedi and don't agree with all the hatred, but it has some "hmm" moments:

- When Vader falls during the fight with Luke. He clearly lies down on purpose. And why is he so weak suddenly?

- Why did they use SO much screen time in the boring forest? Give us the cool chase scene and get back to space, or inside a base or something.

- Why did Boba Fett scream like a cartoon character and then die like a cartoon character?

- I hadn't thought of this before I listened to the Red Letter Media commentary track last year, but why is the scene where Luke and Vader meets for the first time after the epic battle take place is that dull hallway? Compare that scene to this:

8. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Always viewed it as Vader being overwhelmed by Luke's hatred building up. Physically and emotionally. Yoda States regarding Luke, "when gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be.". Going along with that, when the Jedi are betrayed during Order 66, Yoda feels a tremor in the force. I believe that connection is purpose, as Luke is the last Jedi and Order 66 wipes out most of them.

Sarge likes this.
  9. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    It was obvious to me that Luke's power and sheer strength overpowered the old and weak Vader. The speed and the ferociousness of his strikes made Vader lose his balance. At that point, he fell back and grasped the guardrail which left an opening for Luke to chop off his hand.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Kinda hate to respond to my own thread, but after watching TPM this weekend - and hoping against hope that all of the little things that perturb me would be magically gone this time - it's amazing how scenes are thrown out of whack by just having too many damn words. Even the most seemingly innocuous moment - like when the gang is leaving Watto's shop for the first time - and Padme says "It was nice to meet you, Anakin", it would be neat to have the shot end with her leaving and softly smiling back at Anakin, wrapping up their meeting in a bit of mystery and subtlety. But then Anakin yells back "It was nice to have met you too!", and somehow, the moment is just lost for me.

It struck me that the first 3 movies work as pure allegory for me; not so much needing to be linear A-Z stories, but snapshots in time that are representations of iconic moments. Dialogue is almost always significant, and serves only as a bridge when necessary. It seems the prequels try to fill in gaps when gaps aren't present. Whether it's representative of a certain dumbing-down or just part of the PT's more character-centric feel, it feels overwhelming at times.

For what it's worth, I do adore TPM, in a "Stockholm syndrome" kind of way.

Darth__Lobot, ObiWanKnowsMe and Sarge like this.
  11. lardandlard

lardandlard Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2015

Yes, of course.

In case I wasn't making myself clear:

1. It looks fake when Vader falls. Bad acting, the actor clearly lies himself down.

2. Yes, Luke has gotten stronger, and he also uses his dark side, but to me Vader still fights much weaker than one year ago. He suddenly feels more fragile than he used to be. This can be said about his whole character through the entire movie, though. Vader in RoTJ isn't much of a bad ass.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    He was plenty badass when he gave Sheev the old heave-ho down the reactor shaft.

13. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    Sarge I agree. I never thought Vader was any less intimidating in RotJ. Of course he was weaker, but he doesnt seem as if he is until the end of the movie.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    His whole opening scene. Awesome.

15. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015

[​IMG]

16. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Kinda hate to respond to my own thread,
    ---------

:confused: why? this isn't IMDB :p

things that make me go hmmm (or make me shout out my sig) space slug and being inside it...that is all

Sepra likes this.
  17. MoonFyre

MoonFyre Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2016
    What if it was a Force Kick?

Anyway, it does look ridiculous.

18. JawaDog

JawaDog Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 2, 2016
    How about Dooku riding that Flash Gordon scooter thing in ROTS. Yikes.

Sarge and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  19. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    He rode that at the end of AotC. I liked It though , it seemed elegant for him :p

20. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Agreed. A highlight for me. Great editing in that scene.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  21. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005

Vader has been attempting to get Luke to join him. He's overpowered. He's witnessing his son venture towards the dark side. This is one of the most well done moments in the saga, imo.

22. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016

That scene was so weird. I felt the same way.

The protagonists just didn't seem to care what was happening, and we in the audience were left going 'meh'. It's not just a TPM issue. A lot of movies make the same mistake. There was a similar scene in Spectre just last year. The car chase scene. The bad guy was taking it all very seriously - grimacing and crashing into walls and whatnot. But Bond just doesn't care. He basically just spends the whole car chase on the phone to the turkey-basting hotline discussing how to avoid poisoning all the double o's when he has them all around for Christmas dinner.

Could have been...better.

23. AbsolX

AbsolX Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 30, 2015
    Realizing that Padme is like 18 when Anakin is like 10 or 5.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Palme was 14, 24 and 27. Anakin was 9 or 10, 20 and 23 in the 3 PT movies.

25. AbsolX

AbsolX Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 30, 2015
    THEIR QUEEN WAS 14! Woah. Most dynasties would use a regent until the heir turned 18. And isn't Naboo some weird cross with monocracy and democracy?