main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Post-Movie Future of the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediStryker, Mar 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    After Episode III is finished and out in theaters, what is going to happen to the EU?

I think it?s definitely going to become more popular, with new fans from the movies beginning to crave fresh Star Wars stories but with no new movies is sight.

So, with Lucas not making anymore more movies (or so he says), is he just gonna hang up his SW cap, or is he possibly going to get more involved in the EU?

If I were he, I am not sure that I could just let go of my creation. Obviously, with no more movies coming out, the EU is going to have more creative freedom, since it can work in the confines of the movies and not have to worry about anything coming out that will contradict it later. So is Lucas possibly going to do more than just approve storylines? Will he flesh anything out, maybe even write (or co-write) his own book?

Wouldn't that get the purists into a fit? :D

2. Qwert_Squadron

Qwert_Squadron Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2002
    GL said he wasn't gonna make anymore after hte OT. but he did. and my jedi capabilities tell me he might be, hawever unawaryly, telling an untruth.Hope Springs Eternal

3. CeeWulf

CeeWulf Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Qwert, not sure I understood what you were trying to say with that post. Were you saying that Lucas wrote episodes 7-9? Hasn't he repeatedly denied such a thing?

4. Qwert_Squadron

Feb 27, 2002
    yeah, thats what im saying. maybe he just wants us to think hes not making ep 7-9 but really is...maybe...or...maybe...not

5. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Benjamin Franklin, once said, "He that hopes dies farting."

6. CeeWulf

Feb 15, 2002
    Valiento wrote:

Benjamin Franklin, once said, "He that hopes dies farting."

Oooookay.

7. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes, I bet the symbolism falls on deaf ears.

Perhaps Franklin's alternative version will make more sense to people, "He who hopes dies fasting."

8. CeeWulf

Feb 15, 2002
    Liked the first version better.

9. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Val, I assume you're talking about the hope of him making another movie. What about the possibility that he might get more involved in the EU?

10. Qwert_Squadron

Feb 27, 2002
    well, i hope GL does become more involved but not too involved. i dont want him writing every other novel because LFL might be like "wait and see that it doesnt contradict Lucas's"

i dont think i phrased that too good, did you get what i as saing?

11. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    I see what you're saying, and that does make sense.

12. CeeWulf

Feb 15, 2002
    I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas does get involved with the books. I mean, he "co-wrote" the Willow books.

13. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas does get involved with the books. I mean, he "co-wrote" the Willow books.

No he didn't. The first says that it's by him and Chris Claremont, whereas the second two say that they're by Chris Claremont story by George Lucas. He may have had direct input into the stories, but he didn't write them, it was all Claremont.

14. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    "So, with Lucas not making anymore more movies (or so he says), is he just gonna hang up his SW cap, or is he possibly going to get more involved in the EU?"

Most likely, George Lucas + Episode III = Vacation from Star Wars

15. CeeWulf

Feb 15, 2002
    IAmTheDarkSide wrote:

No he didn't. The first says that it's by him and Chris Claremont, whereas the second two say that they're by Chris Claremont story by George Lucas. He may have had direct input into the stories, but he didn't write them, it was all Claremont.

Okay. Didn't read them, just remember seeing the first one and hearing that there were others.

16. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Most likely, George Lucas + Episode III = Vacation from Star Wars

Well, if that's the case, then at least the EU can continue unabated. No more worrying about what the purists are going to come running with next. ;)

17. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    *Whiney Voice* "Won't that get the Purists in a fit?" *Whiney Voice*

Boy that's just ASKING for trouble.

How does that song go...

"Dreeaam.. dream dream dreeeam...."

18. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    *Whiney Voice* "Won't that get the Purists in a fit?" *Whiney Voice*

Having a bad day or something? [face_plain]

If you notice the little smile face next to that statement, you'll see it was just a joke. I'm not asking for trouble...I'm just trying to sew a little humor into my threads without personally insulting anyone.

19. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    I hope the status quo will continue to be in effect.

20. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    I hope the status quo will continue to be in effect.

?[face_plain]

21. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Of Lucas only approving one-page outlines of novels and leaving everything up to LFL.

22. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Ah, thank you. :D

23. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Lucas is a filmmaker. Any writing that he's done was incidental to the movie making process. I don't see him sitting down and writing a book that will never be filmed.

It's been 25 years since Lucas was without a new SW film on the horizon. My prediction is that after a few years, he's going to miss that feeling and decide to do some more. I don't see someone like Lucas just sitting around and watching new filmmaking technologies come up around him and not doing anything about it.

24. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Well, after Ep. III, he's going to start focusing on the next Indy movie. So he's got other franchises to work with besides SW.

Geez, I hope there are no more SW movies. Don't get me wrong, they are my favorite movies, but the last thing I want is for SW to turn into nothing more than a cash cow. The movie story has been told as of the completion of Ep. III, anymore would be superfluous.

25. Skylark

Skylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    In my personal opinion, you won't see any more episodes per se after episode III. My little dream, though, is that Lucas lets other directors make a series of mini series of the NJO books. So, each book or two would warrant an individual mini series and they would all be tied together by cast and plot arc. It's not going to happen, but I so love it!! And why NJO? Because for the next 5-10 years or so, we still have OT actors who are both breathing and the ages of their characters and because I can see the general viewing public getting behind following a new generation and a new threat (YV). There are other reasons, I won't get into, but that's my little wistful dream and yes, I will die farting, I know.

Oh-p.s. jewlmc, saw your signature, and yes, HP does kick butt, I know it. And Oliver Wood was damn fine in that movie! Love the scottish accent. What do you think about LOTR and Orlando Bloom as Legolas? That's definately another combination I can get behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.